"Boucher was an inspirational cricketer & one of the finest all time 'keepers":Misbah

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Misbah ul Haq pays tribute to South African wicketkeeper Mark Boucher

Lahore July 11, 2012:

Pakistan Test Captain Misbah ul Haq has paid tribute to South African wicketkeeper Mark Boucher who announced his retirement from international cricket owing to an eye injury during a tour match in England.

In a statement Misbah said, "The news of Mark’s injury and retirement has saddened us all. Mark was an inspirational cricketer and one of the finest all time wicketkeepers the game has ever produced. A true competitor, he has been a role model for many young cricketers. I, on behalf of my team, salute his contributions to the game of Cricket and wish him best of luck for his future.

Meanwhile Chairman PCB Ch. Zaka Ashraf, in a message to President Cricket South Africa Dr Willie Basson, has extended his and his board’s sympathies to the South African board and cricket fans on this tragedy terming it a loss to the game of cricket. He also wished Mr. Boucher an early recovery from the injury he sustained.

Wow, really classy stuff from Misbah and Zaka.

Full credit to Zaka on a side note - he is a breath of fresh air.

These are the sort of things we should be doing as right now Pakistan has a bad reputation in world cricket and we've been isolated and ostracised to an extent.

Good to release this publicly, very gentlemanly. After all cricket is the gentleman's game.

I think everyone involved with the game has similar sentiments.

This is the way you talk when you're the captain of a team and the chairman of a board.

Seems a little odd to be honest. Misbah has rarely played with Boucher and doesn't really know him either. It makes sense for his team mates and former SA cricketers to pay tributes but let's not get overboard here. Did Misbah make a statement when bigger players retried such as Dravid just the other day? Sure Boucher's injury forced retirement but he was going to retire in a few games anyway. It's not like a great career has been cut in its prime.

I'm not saying what Misbah said was bad, but just that it is random.

Seems a little odd to be honest. Misbah has rarely played with Boucher and doesn't really know him either. It makes sense for his team mates and former SA cricketers to pay tributes but let's not get overboard here. Did Misbah make a statement when bigger players retried such as Dravid just the other day? Sure Boucher's injury forced retirement but he was going to retire in a few games anyway. It's not like a great career has been cut in its prime.

Its quite possible nobody asked him about comments when Dravid retired but did in this particular case. Besides, Boucher's is a lot different situation. The guy is the world record holder of most dismissals in test and his exodus from the game has been a bit tragic. He might be losing vision in his eye so I can understand the words of support and sympathy coming from the captain of the Pakistan team and the President of the Board.

What happened to him is tragic and should not happen to any sportsman, even though we know its part of the game but its still tragic.

I think the manner in which he retired has caused him and Zaka to come out and pay him the tribute.

Any sort of injury to the eye can be bad but the one which Boucher suffered is pretty dangerous. They all have got to know the severity of the injury and hence the compliments and wishes.

Its quite possible nobody asked him about comments when Dravid retired but did in this particular case. Besides, Boucher's is a lot different situation. The guy is the world record holder of most dismissals in test and his exodus from the game has been a bit tragic. He might be losing vision in his eye so I can understand the words of support and sympathy coming from the captain of the Pakistan team and the President of the Board.

What happened to him is tragic and should not happen to any sportsman, even though we know its part of the game but its still tragic.

Dravid holds many records, indeed I would say better records. One example is most balls faced in the history of cricket. One of the highest run scorers in both forms of the game. Bouchers injury is really unfortunate no doubt but hopefully he will make a full recovery. No doubt had he been 25, there would have been no announcement of retirement.

The way the article is worded is that Misbah made 'a statement'. So I think this was something he chose to do.

Can you imagine if Ijaz Butt was chairman ?

'Mark Boucher ? Who ?'

And then would mumble a statement to journalists before falling asleep in his chair.

Thank God those days are over, and the PCB is being run professionally by Ashraf.

Good stuff from zaka ashraf and misbah ul haq..

These kind of statements do make a big difference as pakistan has a very bad reputation

Had boucher retired just by taking a simple retirement and no injury, believe me not many on pp would had cared. But the reason why everyone cares about his retirement now is the way he was forced to retire. A very bad eye injury, which could have alot of bad effects in the long run..

Its the way he retired with an injury that makes many of us sad and realize about his contributions

All cricket fans thoughts and prayers are with Mark. Nice statement for Misbah and Zaka.

well no one of us know hum/haven't played with him or as a matter of fact any cricketer but yet we comment on them, so why can't Misbah? He is one of the finest cricketer of our era so why can't Misbah praise him? I don't see anything Odd. and Why do you think Boucher isn't a bigger player like Dravid? 999 international dismissals is no easy feat.

well no one of us know hum/haven't played with him or as a matter of fact any cricketer but yet we comment on them, so why can't Misbah? He is one of the finest cricketer of our era so why can't Misbah praise him? I don't see anything Odd. and Why do you think Boucher isn't a bigger player like Dravid? 999 international dismissals is no easy feat.

:kami tremendous achievement, what is Gilly's record?

I am more concerned about Bouchers eye and whether he will be to see again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Personally I'm more affected by Boucher's retirement than Dravids and maybe Misbah feels the same. It is one thing to retire from a sport after achieving everything there is to achieve but to be seriously injured, with a possibility of blindness is just sad.

How would you know about their relationship off the field? Maybe they have been good friends since their IPL days.

Can you imagine if Ijaz Butt was chairman ?

'Mark Boucher ? Who ?'

And then would mumble a statement to journalists before falling asleep in his chair.

Thank God those days are over, and the PCB is being run professionally by Ashraf.

Yeah its great to see that we finally have a competent person running the board :zaka

It's a classy thing to do. As captain of an international side you have bigger responsibilities than just leading the team on the field. You have to help shape perception of your team and country off of it.

When an injury ends a career, it affects EVERYONE involved. Even though he only had one series left, but think about it, here is a guy who gave 20+ years to this sport and he might walk out half blind....

I'm pleasantly surprised Misbah and Zaka issued a statement, it mirrors what most Pakistanis think about this incident and Boucher.

wather you guys like it or not, you guys still opened the thread cause of Misbah's name being there...

Great comments there by Misbah-ul-Haq:14:!

IPL: Mumbai Indians Appoint Former South Africa Wicketkeeper Mark Boucher As New Head Coach
Mumbai Indians on Friday confirmed the appointment of former South Africa wicketkeeper-batter Mark Boucher as their new head coach.

Mumbai Indians on Friday confirmed the appointment of former South Africa wicketkeeper-batter Mark Boucher as their new head coach, starting with Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023. Earlier this week, Cricket South Africa (CSA) had confirmed that Boucher would step down as the head coach of the men's senior team after the upcoming T20 World Cup slated to be played in October-November in Australia.

Boucher has had a long and illustrious career as a wicket-keeper, batsman and holds the record for the most Test dismissals by a wicket-keeper. Post-retirement he took over as coach for Titans, a top-level cricket franchise in South Africa, and led them to five domestic titles.

In 2019, Cricket South Africa appointed Mark Boucher as the head coach where he crafted 11 Test wins, 12 in ODIs and 23 T20I victories.

"It is an honor and privilege to be appointed as Head Coach of MI. Their history and achievements as a franchise clearly put them up there as one of the most successful sporting franchises in all of world sport. I look forward to the challenge and respect the need for results. It's a strong unit with great leadership and players. I look forward to adding value to this dynamic unit," Boucher stated in an official media release, issued by Mumbai Indians.

Akash Ambani, Chairman, Reliance Jio Infocomm, said: "It's a pleasure to welcome Mark Boucher to Mumbai Indians. With his proven expertise on the field and off it as a coach guiding his team to numerous victories, Mark will add immense value to MI and take forward its legacy.”

Earlier this week, former Mumbai Indians head coach Mahela Jayawardene was ppointed Global Head of Performance by the franchise. Zaheer Khan, who was the Director of Cricket Operations, has also been given a new role. The former India pacer will now be MI's Global Head of Cricket Development. The two form the central team for the franchise's "growing global cricket footprint", Mumbai Indians had said in an official release.

NDTV

Boucher can now plan an early retirement from work after a few seasons at the IPL

Back