Boxing Thread

Great performance from both Beterbiev and Bivol, very close fight; I gave Beterbiev the edge by a round or two for his pressure and stiffer shots, though Bivol’s work was a lot cleaner, both men have tremendous chins and took some real pomp in the fight. Bivol was well ahead early on due to his superior movement and lightning jab which have Beterbiev issues, then he settled in the second half, picked better shots and worked the body, with Bivol’s pace declining, he took more punishment but a lot less then prior opponents due to his exceptional defence. Bivol is a very boring fighter but this was probably his most fun fight, he is a very difficult fighter to open up, I also think Beterbiev (while he wasn’t loading up) power was impacted by the knee injury, he still has plenty there but I am not sure if it’s all available, he is bound to feel discomfort each time he turns the hips. A landmark victory nonetheless and Beterbiev deserves it.

Only watched very brief highlights where bivol seemed to be dominating and knocked beterbievs head back a few rimes and the commentators were noticing how well dimitry was performing.
The beterbiev who knocked down usyk a few times in the amateurs seemed to be troubled by bivol who didn't mind brawling with Artur.
Hopefully they have a rematch before beterbiev retires

Clarke back in UK after surgery on broken jaw

Heavyweight Frazer Clarke has had surgery on his jaw and cheekbone following his first-round stoppage loss to Fabio Wardley in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

The 33-year-old was taken to hospital after suffering a fracture high on his jaw in their British title fight.

Boxxer promoter Ben Shalom said Clarke underwent "minor" surgery in Riyadh on Sunday. He landed back in the United Kingdom on Monday morning.

"He's feeling more motivated than ever to come back bigger and better in the new year," Shalom told Sky Sports.

Clarke, a 2020 Olympic bronze medallist, lost for the first time as a pro as Wardley, 29, retained his British title at the Kingdom Arena.

In a rematch of March's fight of the year contender which ended in a draw, Wardley hurt Clarke with a strong right hand in the first round after a flurry of punches.

Clarke rose to his feet but with his jaw visibly out of place, the referee stopped the contest.

Boxer Williams retires after 'several concussions'

World title challenger Liam Williams, one of Wales' best boxers of the past two decades, says he has retired from the sport after receiving "several concussions".

The 32-year-old, who won British, European and Commonwealth titles, says he is hanging up his gloves because he is worried about taking further blows to the head and suffering further damage to his brain.

Williams says he fought Chris Eubank Jr in 2022 despite knowing he was suffering the effects of a concussion and against medical advice heading into the fight as he "didn’t want to let down his fans".

Williams says he realised after his last fight - a first round KO defeat by Hamzah Sheeraz in February - that he "had taken too much", and does not want to "just fight for money" and "jeopardise his future with his family".

Williams says he worries about chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a brain condition linked to repeated blows to the head and concussion. The condition, which gradually gets worse over time and leads to dementia, can only be diagnosed post-mortem.

"I know that boxing is brutal," Williams added.

Bivol took serious punishment in that fight, it’s not so obvious because Beterbiev looks like he is throwing arm punches all the time but the leverage he puts into his shots is very subtle, I don’t think he was loading up but just look at Bivol’s face after the fight.

Bivol took serious punishment in that fight, it’s not so obvious because Beterbiev looks like he is throwing arm punches all the time but the leverage he puts into his shots is very subtle, I don’t think he was loading up but just look at Bivol’s face after the fight.

Spot on!

Damage is key in combat sports inc Boxing. Artur's jabs are very heavy, rocked back Bivols head on numerous occasions esp in the 2nd half. His body shots hurt too, his right hooks even at the guard hurt, in fact everything this man throws hurts!

Bivol is tough as nails too, others would have lost focus and stopped moving but he stood up well.

Bivols plan was to win on points, hence he went in to win the early rounds knowing Artur starts slowly. It nearly paid off.

I scored it 115-113. I cant recall a fight which flew by so quickly. Not sure what you think but imo undisputed fights should be 15 rounds like yesteryear? Imo Artur would have ended the fight if another 3 rounds were available.

Spot on!

Damage is key in combat sports inc Boxing. Artur's jabs are very heavy, rocked back Bivols head on numerous occasions esp in the 2nd half. His body shots hurt too, his right hooks even at the guard hurt, in fact everything this man throws hurts!

Bivol is tough as nails too, others would have lost focus and stopped moving but he stood up well.

Bivols plan was to win on points, hence he went in to win the early rounds knowing Artur starts slowly. It nearly paid off.

I scored it 115-113. I cant recall a fight which flew by so quickly. Not sure what you think but imo undisputed fights should be 15 rounds like yesteryear? Imo Artur would have ended the fight if another 3 rounds were available.

It’s difficult maybe for the casual observer to view and perhaps from the TV in general, but most ring side saw the damage he was doing, behind the gloves, through the guard and overlooked by a lot of people which you mentioned just now was the body work, yes I have no doubt even those punches on the gloves you actually feel those as well, and he wasn’t loading up! and he had a dodgy knee to! I will credit Bivol for his exceptional defence / toughness and back foot pedigree but it was not sustained and he struggled during the second half / championship rounds especially. I gave it to Beterbiev by a point but I missed Round 4 live, and most appear to point out that was the turning point and if he won that then I probably would have the same score as you.

It makes me appreciate Boxing legends and history in general so much, to think there was a point when you had police stoppages and then coming all the way down to 12 rounds, we would certainly avoid controversial scorecards with the extra three, no doubt about that and I am in favour of it for special fights especially, I am certain Hagler would have had his hand raised at the end of his war with Leonard.

'Showman' Yarde targets Buatsi fight after lay-off

Anthony Yarde says he wants to fight Joshua Buatsi or Artur Beterbiev in the near future as he prepares to make his return to the ring on Saturday.

The light-heavyweight has spent nine months on the sidelines, due to a "contractual dispute" with his long-time promoters Queensberry.

Yarde, 33, makes his return against Ralfs Vilcans on the undercard of Adam Azim v Ohara Davies, an event promoted by Ben Shalom's Boxxer.

Speaking at a news conference Yarde dismissed criticism about his opponent, who is unheralded and has fought most of his pro career in his home country of Latvia.

"I want to be in the ring. Everyone is going to have their opinion on the level I should be fighting, or the fight, or how big the fight should be," Yarde said.

"I want the biggest fights out there. That's Joshua Buatsi, that's Beterbiev 2, that's [Dmitry] Bivol."

Yarde has a loss on his record to the newly crowned undisputed champion Beterbiev in 2023.

Beterbiev stopped Yarde in a defence of his world title before going on to beat Bivol in their undisputed contest last Saturday.

Yarde failed in his first world title attempt in 2019, but expects another opportunity and said "three's the charm".

Queensberry's Frank Warren has not commented on Yarde's fight with Boxxer, but Shalom said the Englishman has not signed a long-term promotional deal.

"We don't have many genuine superstars that can capture the attention as mainstream stars and Anthony Yarde is one of them," Shalom said.

"There's Josh Buatsi, there's Ben Whittaker, there's Anthony Yarde all in the domestic light-heavyweight scene [in the UK].

"You can expect a showman. There's not many fighters, if any, in the division that can fight the way Anthony Yarde can fight. He is a super talent."

BBC

Beterbiev ordered to face IBF mandatory challenger

Artur Beterbiev has been ordered to defend his IBF light-heavyweight title against the mandatory challenger, a day after Dmitry Bivol appealed to the four sanctioning bodies to back an immediate rematch.

Russian Beterbiev, 39, became the division's first four-belt world champion with a split-decision victory over compatriot Bivol in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

Bivol's promoter Eddie Hearn and manager Vadim Kornilov publicly lambasted the scorecards, which were 114-114, 115-113 and 116-112 for Beterbiev.

Bivol, 33, sent a request through his lawyer on Wednesday to the WBO, WBA, IBF and WBC, asking for their support in securing a rematch with Beterbiev.

But the IBF has now officially ordered Beterbiev to begin "negotiations" with a mandatory challenger, German Michael Eifert.

This may well not be the end of the matter, however.

The IBF says Beterbiev can still request an "exception" to make a voluntary defence which would be considered.

As sanctioning bodies, the organisations authorise fighters to compete for their world titles, but none of the four major sanctioning bodies have the power to overturn an official result.

The British Boxing Board of Control was in charge of overseeing the weekend's event, as has been the case for most Saudi fight nights in the last 12 months.

While Hearn said the 116-112 scorecard was "disgusting", Bivol did not publicly question the result.

Bivol suffered the first defeat of his 24-fight career, while Beterbiev was taken the distance for the first time as a professional.

Back