Brendan Taylor Respect Thread

Executioner

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I have been monitoring his performane for some time. He has been absolutely brilliant over the last few years.

I think he can be an ATG if he performs like this for 10 more years. Started his international career from a very early age. All the best to him.

images

ATG? The guy averages in 20s for Christ sake. Just that he's playing against the worst side in International Cricket.

Fantastic player. Pity he plays for Zim and therefore doesn't get enough exposure.

Very good player but you have to be careful before you throw the ATG tag around. He's probably not even one of the best to come from his own country yet.

ATG? The guy averages in 20s for Christ sake. Just that he's playing against the worst side in International Cricket.

I said if he performs like this for 10 more years meaning that he would have played 20 years of cricket.

BTW, he has improved a lot over the years and could turn out to be one of the better WK batsman around.

BTW, he also scored a century against NZ, and WI in tests recently. He is a fantastic player who deserves much more respect. He would easily walk into Pakistan side, and maybe even current Aus side.

He's a good player, I'll give him that. Been following him for two years now, starting with that victory over Bangladesh in 2011.

He can keep as well ........... Pakistan would have been elated to have him now.

He can become a Zimbabwean ATG if that's what you're talking about. He's a decent player for Zimbabwe but probably isn't even one of the top 40 batsmen around at the moment.

For Bangladeshi standards he is in ATG...

My views:
I rate him very high tbh, he will improve with time and can score against big teams as well (but won't be an ATG)

He is a good player but definitely not an ATG. The only ATG of Zimbabwe that I can think of are Andy Flower and Heath Streak.

You guys should read the OP again. I said that if he performs like this over 10-12 more years then he can certainly become a great

Has played 6 tests in last 2 years, averages just above 40. Against Pakistan he averages 7, against windies 18, against NZ 44 ,against bangladesh 176 (in last 2 years = total 6 matches) .. As u see the sample size is very small which means they dnt play many tests. So NO ,even if he performs like this for next 10 years he wont be called an ATG . Maybe a zimbawean great, even that is doubtful.

I have been monitoring his performane for some time. He has been absolutely brilliant over the last few years.

I think he can be an "ATG" if he performs like this for 10 more years. Started his international career from a very early age. All the best to him.

good player with loads of potential but i think the word "great" is overused and at times abused

Taylor is a really nice middle order player i like his solid batting technique but we can't call him ATG. How can you have him in the list with Don, VIV, Sober, Imran, Gavaskar?

Brendan Taylor has become the third Zimbabwean after Andy and Grant Flower to score a century in each innings of a Test.

Bangladesh are obviously making him look better than he is but he's still a decent bat.

Taylor scored a century against Windies, scored tons of runs in the BPL and also helped beat SA twice in that triangular T20 series. most of you underestimate him

test average of 36 after 17 matches, will certainly go up! 135 odis and avg. of 35.

you forgot his innings against teams like NZ, WI and also that match winning innings against Australia in 2007 WT20

you forgot his innings against teams like NZ, WI and also that match winning innings against Australia in 2007 WT20

Wow that's about 5 great innings now!

Only about 50 or so behind Lara and the other greats.

Cremer is a good talent, i see potential in him. Inshallah his name will be on the lords honours board one day, i can visualise a tear in my eye that day.....and also brendan taylor has potential but to say he can be an ATG at this stage in his career is absurd but the guy has that knack to get big hundreds and i wish him and zimbabwean cricket well. As for bangladesh.....seriously pathetic stuff i don't know how many times they have looked at themselves in the mirror lately but i feel it has been shattered, they don't deserve there test status and have not justified it one bit...

May or may not become an ATG. But certainly one of the fighters in the team. Best decision Zimbabwe management took was make Taylor the captain. The other members seem to respect him :misbah

Taylor is a very good player.

Along with Cremer and Jarvis Zimbabwe have at least 3 players who have the talent to belong at test level.

He's awesome against spinners. Very good batsman.

50 today for Zimbabwe vs Pakistan in first ODI in Pindi

Certainly one of Zimbabwe's greatest cricketing icon in the 21st century.

Could well play for South Africa or England as a player alone.

100 for Taylor - amazing innings - has not looked troubled at all.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Babar Azam "At any difficult time when Shaheen is asked to bowl, he has never stepped back & always gives 110%. It doesn't matter what format he is playing, he puts in an outstanding effort as we also saw in the National T20 Cup recently" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvZIM?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PAKvZIM</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1322204800805724161?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Their second best after Andy Flower.
Only guy in Zim team that can walk in top teams.
If only he had played for a better team, he could have been a Ross Taylor-esque or Faf esque type of a batter.
Should be hard to get motivated when your board is in total crises and your team gets suspended for various issues every once in a while that too with not getting paid for months.

Surely the second best batsman after Andy Flower coming from Zimbabwe.

He's a top quality wicket keeper bat. Said it a few years ago, particularly during the 2015 WC when he hit a purple patch, he's one of the more aesthitcally pleasing bastmen around on his day.

The uppercut over the keeper is pretty much his signature stroke to me, always takes it out and its so good to watch.

Not an atg batsmen. Place him in any team, and he will struggle.

A zimbawean great, he benefits from a weak batting lime up and gets ample of time to perform.

Their second best after Andy Flower.
Only guy in Zim team that can walk in top teams.
If only he had played for a better team, he could have been a Ross Taylor-esque or Faf esque type of a batter.
Should be hard to get motivated when your board is in total crises and your team gets suspended for various issues every once in a while that too with not getting paid for months.

Nope. He doesnt walk in to teams.

He went to england and he could never had walked into their team.

Its like, if garry ballance pkayed for zimbabwe, he would had also scored runs. But the thing is, he was never good enough to get into the england side.

Taylor now is in the twilight years of his career. Five years ago he was very good.

Had things in Zimbabwe been different post 2000 maybe he would have had better numbers. Certainly Zimbabwe would have had a much better side and its not hard to imagine the likes of Ballance, CdG, Hilton Cartwright in that side aswell.

At any rate, he will still go down as one of Zimbabwe's best ever.

Nope. He doesnt walk in to teams.

He went to england and he could never had walked into their team.

Its like, if garry ballance pkayed for zimbabwe, he would had also scored runs. But the thing is, he was never good enough to get into the england side.

He was on kolpak deal, was there for 2 or 3 years only. To be qualified to play for England team, you need to play 7 years in domestic cricket without playing domestic cricket in your other country before they tweaked the rule for Joffra who had a british passport then as well. He went to England to play for their northamptonshire or whichever one he signed up with. He was a regular in his domestic side their.

He has taken SA, NZ, India apart single handedly on more than one occasion. It's not like he has bullied associate nations like Mohammad Shahzad did.

Not an atg batsmen. Place him in any team, and he will struggle.

A zimbawean great, he benefits from a weak batting lime up and gets ample of time to perform.

Well Zimbabwe got worse as the years progressed so didnt get to play at the top level and thus BT fell short.

But he is definitely a quality player, just needed a bit more support from his board and team

I would take BT within a heartbeat as an opener over Tamim Iqbal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What a fantastic feeling getting over the line today. We gave our country something to smile about today and that's why we wear our colours with immense pride. Thank you to all who sent kind messages of support over the last few days.&#55356;&#56831;&#55356;&#56828;</p>— Brendan Taylor (@BrendanTaylor86) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrendanTaylor86/status/1323671104402182145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bad move to not play Taylor for MS? Had been in Pak, scored runs already - so should have been played

Brainless decision to not play Taylor for the second time!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Forever grateful for the journey. Thank you &#55357;&#56911; <a href="https://t.co/tOsYzoE5eH">pic.twitter.com/tOsYzoE5eH</a></p>— Brendan Taylor (@BrendanTaylor86) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrendanTaylor86/status/1437132403760320521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Best Zim batter of the post 2003 era and probably their second best after Andy Flower. A great servant of Zimbabwe Cricket.

So much talent in Zimbabwe but is suffering from mismanagement and a bankrupt Cricket board.
The recent departures of Williams and Taylor giving a vibe they are unhappy with something maybe the continuing poor results, lack of games against the big teams or maybe low hopes for being able to qualify for the world events.

Top notch player for Zimbabwe (considering what happened to zim cricket around him)
in last decade , only player Zim cricket was known for

Good Luck Brendon!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you for the memories, <a href="https://twitter.com/BrendanTaylor86?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BrendanTaylor86</a> &#55356;&#57119; <a href="https://t.co/iwR4opldT6">pic.twitter.com/iwR4opldT6</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1437408271862837261?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The last great Zimbabwean cricketer? Either way, Taylor's been immense for zim over the past 15 years. Will never forget that 138 v India in the 2015 World Cup. It sucks to think that in a different political climate Zim might well have remained a fiercely competitive side with guys like Ballance, de Grandhomme, Taibu and the Curran brothers. Still he's played a pretty significant hand in pretty much all of the occasional rays of sunshine that Zim has enjoyed over the past decade and I wish him all the best for his future.

Very underrated cricketer.

He never got much recognition due to playing for Zimbabwe.

All the best with your retirement, Mr. Taylor.

The only zimbabwean that knew hot to bat. He was a good player. I remember when he made his debut in the t20 for zimbabwe agains taustralia in the world t20.

Watching zimbabwe pull off a win agains the mighty australia was just something.

He will go down as a zimbabwe great, but shouldnt be considered as an atg. His batting style benefitted from playing in a weak team.

Over the years, taylor had very bad fitness, the guy was abit out of shape.

After Tatenda Taibu he was the next best produced zimbabwean batsmen.

Fantastic batter who should have played way more cricket than what he ended up playing. Made his debut when most of the the good Zim cricketers left due to the political climate in the country. He is among very few Zim cricketers who excelled at the world stage, David Houghton, Andy Flower and Heath Streak were a level above the other Zim cricketers but he comes in the next level with Grant Flower, Alastair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Neil Johnson, Paul Strang etc. A very good player, hope he does well in whatever he plans to do after retirement.

Its a shame that Murray Goodwin just played 19 Tests for Zimbabwe with a FC record of 27K runs at 47.

Its a shame that Murray Goodwin just played 19 Tests for Zimbabwe with a FC record of 27K runs at 47.

Yeah, 2000 was the year when the political situation in Zim really started going south, and that was when he and Neil Johnson split.

At the 1999 World Cup the Zim team had the Flower brothers, Streak, Goodwin, Johnson, Paul Strang, Henry Olonga and Alastair Campbell. It was a tough side with only a couple of genuine passengers, and they earnt their place in the second round of the tournament. Sad to think that world cricket has probably forever lost a strong Zimbabwe (though I hope I'm wrong about that).

Back