Captaincy watch during the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Asad T

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
A thread dedicated to the best and worst strategies made by captains this World Cup.

I'll start:

Sri Lanka vs South Africa

"Wanindu Hasaranga wins the toss and chooses to bat first. He expects the pitch to be good for batting."

It ended up being a bowling paradise, and Sri Lanka was skitteled for 77. Hasaranga totally misjudged the wicket.

On a slightly positive note, though, I thought his bowling selections were okay, by bowling his quicks upfront (even though he usually bowls Teekshana with the new ball) because the pacers were looking more threatening. But it was the toss that really messed it up for Lanka and their bowlers never had a chance to defend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a strange decision by Hasaranga to bat first in such conditions when no one was sure how the wicket is going to behave.

It was a strange decision by Hasaranga to bat first in such conditions when no one was sure how the wicket is going to behave.
Let's wait for more strange things to happen when Lord Babar Azam will arrive on the field :D

Rohit Sharma -- won the toss and bowled first, which was the right move for sure.

Also, what I liked was that they went with 4 pacers on this pitch.

And lastly, he has been aggressive with his bowling changes, trying to go for the kill by bowling Hardik's overs upfront while he is looking good. Axar was only introduced much later because the pacers were looking lethal.

Smart captaincy

Rohit Sharma -- won the toss and bowled first, which was the right move for sure.

Also, what I liked was that they went with 4 pacers on this pitch.

And lastly, he has been aggressive with his bowling changes, trying to go for the kill by bowling Hardik's overs upfront while he is looking good. Axar was only introduced much later because the pacers were looking lethal.

Smart captaincy

Smart move to go with four pacers.

A big test for Babar's captaincy here, let's hope he make sound decisions today with his bowling options and batting order line up.

Really poor of Pak to pick Azam for this game. Yes, he has been a match-winner in the PSL but his international performances in his 13 matches have not warrented a place in the starting XI. Today, is is apparently playing as a non-wicket keeper and i'm looking foward to seeing him in the outfield

I would have rather had Saim in his place

Poor captaincy by Babar. Defending 160 only keeps one slip. Usually, after an edge that goes past the slips, you any normal captain would reinforce the slip cordon by adding another slip. Yet, 2 balls later, he removes that solitary slip.

zRaYEcB.png

Very bold captaincy by Jos Buttler, brought Moeen Ali in the second over against South Africa today to get an early breakthrough. No success thus far but still a bold decision.

Poor captaincy! Why is Shakib bowling? He has been expensive, with an economy rate of 12.70 so far. Why not Rishad Hossain or Mahmudullah?

Rashid Khan made a great decision of bowling Gulbadin Naib against Australia at crucial moment in the match when Nabi also got 3 overs left. This decision helped them beating Australia and now they have every chance of making it to the semi-finals.

Best captain in this tournament has been Markram. The way he lead his side was superb.

It also shows in their performance. 7 wins in 7 games.

So far Markaram has been the captain cool of the tournament. Lets see how it fares for him ahead.

It was a poor decision by Aiden Markram to give the ball to Marco Jansen for the first over.

Back