Choose My Bat

shirazi_r

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
So I'm once again in the market for a new bat and I thought I'd made up my mind until I started getting suckered in by good deals all around. If you've used or just have an opinion of any of the following bats, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind, I'm a top order/opening batsman and I have a propensity to steer towards lighter bats. What I'm looking for in a bat is: Longevity, Decent Middle, Exceptional Balance+Pickup.

Ideally, I'd like to keep suggestions to this list but if you have an outstanding pick, let me know.

The list:

-GM Icon 505
-Kookaburra Blade 250
-Kookaburra Rogue 200
-Kookaburra CCX 200
-Gray Nicolls Quantum Force
-Puma Barium 3000
-Adidas Libro Club

Help me out guys!

CCX doesn't really have a light pickup and wouldn't recommed that at all!

Gray Nicolls, Puma and Adidas are not good either in my opinion.

So I'd say its a close call between Blade and Icon. I have picked both of them up and both have exceptionally light pick up and would be good for you.

Since you fancy Kookaburra I'd say go for that as that would be better for you because you like Kookaburra bats.

I know you're on budget so why don't you buy a Pakistani bat? In your budget I'm sure you can get a Grade 1 Pakistani bat.....please don't say these above listed bats are English made..

CCX doesn't really have a light pickup and wouldn't recommed that at all!

Gray Nicolls, Puma and Adidas are not good either in my opinion.

So I'd say its a close call between Blade and Icon. I have picked both of them up and both have exceptionally light pick up and would be good for you.

Since you fancy Kookaburra I'd say go for that as that would be better for you because you like Kookaburra bats.

I know you're on budget so why don't you buy a Pakistani bat? In your budget I'm sure you can get a Grade 1 Pakistani bat.....please don't say these above listed bats are English made..

Most of the above bats aren't English made, you're right; however, i find that certain English bats tend to suit my style of play. The issue I have with Pakistani bats is that they tend to have a lower middle which hurts the pickup a bit. I'm aware there are Pakistani bats with higher middles (CA 12000, AS V3/V10 etc.) but I'm certain I'd like something English.

That said, I may well lean towards the Puma or Kookaburra as GM just doesn't offer what I'm looking for in this price range.

So now it comes down to two bats really, the Puma Barium and the Kookaburra Blade.

I have not used any of the bats in the list but based on reputation I would go for a Puma.

Most of the above bats aren't English made, you're right; however, i find that certain English bats tend to suit my style of play. The issue I have with Pakistani bats is that they tend to have a lower middle which hurts the pickup a bit. I'm aware there are Pakistani bats with higher middles (CA 12000, AS V3/V10 etc.) but I'm certain I'd like something English.

That said, I may well lean towards the Puma or Kookaburra as GM just doesn't offer what I'm looking for in this price range.

So now it comes down to two bats really, the Puma Barium and the Kookaburra Blade.

Not most, in fact, all of the above listed bats are made in India.

Sounds fair, each to its own and I fully respect your opinion.

I'd go for Kookaburra Blade and would suggest that as well. Have seen Blade 950 and it is a gorgeous profile and would recommend it.

yeh go 4 what cd bhai is saying he is the man about this stuff

Last edited:
Not most, in fact, all of the above listed bats are made in India.

Sounds fair, each to its own and I fully respect your opinion.

I'd go for Kookaburra Blade and would suggest that as well. Have seen Blade 950 and it is a gorgeous profile and would recommend it.

To be fair, all English Willow GMs are still made in England which is why I believe they command something of a premium.

On a more relevant note, I appreciate the advice CD and I'm almost certain that either the Blade as per your suggestion or the Puma will fit the bill.

To be fair, all English Willow GMs are still made in England which is why I believe they command something of a premium.

On a more relevant note, I appreciate the advice CD and I'm almost certain that either the Blade as per your suggestion or the Puma will fit the bill.

Only high end GMs are made in England rest are made in India but finished in UK.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that Puma old model?

Only high end GMs are made in England rest are made in India but finished in UK.

Yea, it's not the latest Puma but to be honest I could care less about model years. After all, my last GM was a 2010.

As for GMs, anything 303 and above is made using the CAD process, I can assure you. The Kashmir Willow bats are made completely in India however so if that's what you meant, then we're in agreement.

I've experienced CCXs that had a light pickup.

Although I'd go for the Blade 250 out of those.

Yea, it's not the latest Puma but to be honest I could care less about model years. After all, my last GM was a 2010.

As for GMs, anything 303 and above is made using the CAD process, I can assure you. The Kashmir Willow bats are made completely in India however so if that's what you meant, then we're in agreement.

But the shape of your GM did not change in 2011 plus that range is still there in 2011 catalogue.

Are you sure ? I have hard that only Original and Original Limited Editions are made in England rest are in India...you could be right or I could be right.....

Whatever you do, do not go for Libro.

That bat doesn't even deserve to be on the market imo.

Then care less.

But the shape of your GM did not change in 2011 plus that range is still there in 2011 catalogue.

Are you sure ? I have hard that only Original and Original Limited Editions are made in England rest are in India...you could be right or I could be right.....

100% Sure CD, all GM English Willow bats made for sale outside of India are made at their factory in Nottingham. The ones for sale in India are however made in India so that may be what you were thinking.

@Sempre, just "cared less". lol

Pretty sure Majid posted a pic of an Icon that he'd bought from OnlineStockist that was clearly different to a UK retail GM bat on another forum a while back.

Yup, Onlinestockist is based in India therefore they sell Indian GMs which are not made in Nottingham using the CAD process, rather they are made India by hand. That is likely why they are different.

This is not so.

Edward Lowy, Group MD GM -- All GM English Willow bats are made in our own factory in Nottingham UK by our own very dedicated staff.

GM Kashmir Willow bats are made in India.

Kind regards

Edward Lowy
Group MD, GM

This is not so.

Edward Lowy, Group MD GM -- All GM English Willow bats are made in our own factory in Nottingham UK by our own very dedicated staff.

GM Kashmir Willow bats are made in India.

Kind regards

Edward Lowy
Group MD, GM

Ahh okay, I mis-understood it big time

JazakAllah Khair though bro :)

100% Sure CD, all GM English Willow bats made for sale outside of India are made at their factory in Nottingham. The ones for sale in India are however made in India so that may be what you were thinking.

@Sempre, just "cared less". lol
Shirazi Bhai is 100% right.

What is your budget? We should start from there, rather than work from a short list of bats...

If you've made up your mind already, just ignore this...

Actually, I might just end up using the Icon until the season starts and then look for something a little nicer come April/May.

I've realized that a polycoated bat is not the worst thing to have in the nets, especially with those horrible Indian bat-breaker balls.

Actually, I might just end up using the Icon until the season starts and then look for something a little nicer come April/May.

I've realized that a polycoated bat is not the worst thing to have in the nets, especially with those horrible Indian bat-breaker balls.

Smart thing, I don't use my good bats in nets at all! I wanted to use Salix so I just used it twice and after that I never took it out.

Your club use 2 piece Indian balls in nets ?

Smart thing, I don't use my good bats in nets at all! I wanted to use Salix so I just used it twice and after that I never took it out.

Your club use 2 piece Indian balls in nets ?

No, we only use four piece balls but even then I find that the Indian ones are harder than usual. I've seen at least 3 bats broken in the last 2 weeks (mind you they were Powerplay bats so maybe that's got something to do with it).

No, we only use four piece balls but even then I find that the Indian ones are harder than usual. I've seen at least 3 bats broken in the last 2 weeks (mind you they were Powerplay bats so maybe that's got something to do with it).

Do you know which Indian brand balls are they so we can watch out for them ?

I remember in my old club a guy took his Sher Amin out and was batting with it for the very first time and the very first ball he faced, he got an edge and it damaged his bat.

Pakistani/Indian balls are harder than others because they are made for concrete pitches.

To be honest, there are so many strange brands that it's important to have a look and feel irrespective of the brand. Asian balls make a harder sound when bounced. Compare them with a decent Kookaburra and you'll know what I mean. Another sign of cheap balls is the lacquer, on good balls it slowly wears away whereas I find that on cheapies it cracks and looks as though there are many bits of lacquer left all over the ball.

I have blade 950 and I would say it is the lightest bat I have ever had. I would recommend lighter bat only if you are an opener, one down AND you play on fast paced pitches. I think i made a mistake buying lighter bat coz I am a lower order batsman AND i don't like lighter bats. Blade bats are made for faster speed.

Back