Cricket Bat Weights- Scam or Normal?

Cricketismylife

Local Club Captain
Runs
Hello all,

Cricket bat weights - Are they with or without bat grips/toe guard etc?

A friend got this bat from the shops - said 2.8 on the sticker- I weighed it on my machine - it was over 2.10?

Many others that we picked were heavier than that. Its a well known shop around Melbourne and haven't had a chance to call them back for explanation.

Wondering if others have ever weighed their bats and found any irregularities?

What make is it? If you don't mind telling us?

Usually companies weigh the bat only (no grip, toe guard, sticker, scuff sheet etc etc) and the weight which appears there is what bat weighs and rest of the weight is of other bit.

I think finishing makes bat heavier? I mean it sands the bats and then coating and polish etc is applied...:20:

One is a GM and another one heavier than stated is an adidas.

Another MB bat we weighed in was 2.11 and had a sticker of 2.8 as well!!

The weighing machine is spot on and its accurate to a milligram.

So all these people walking around thinking they are holding super light bats are actually using medium weightS?

Have you weighed in your bats CD?

My MB which I find it heavy sometimes was once weighed at a local store (where we practice) and it was apparently 2.6lbs but I don't believe the scale.

A club mate weighed his AS V10 and said it weighs 2.5lbs as he checked it on scales but believe me it feels heavy!

Nahh the store where we practice (2nd place) has digital accurate scale but he won't let us use on our bats :(

You can buy a regular digital kitchen scale for under $20 (sometimes they go on special at canadian tire) remove the glass plate and weigh your bat accurately.

The bat was brand new when weighed on my machine- no oiling or extra grip.

CD, you are making the mistake of thinking 2.5 is same as 2lb 5 oz! Its not.

A pound has 16 ounces so 2.5 is 2lb 8oz.

Some machines do report back in pounds and ounces and not in decimal system which can be confusing.

I bought a scale today just for this thread :)

Gray Nicolls Powerbow 3 Star Weight I was told when buying = 2.7

- I have applied edge tape, it has been oiled and toe guard has been removed.

DSC05871.jpg

MB Malik Bubber Sher Weight on side sticker = 2.8

- I have applied scuff sheet, edge tape on toe guard and Lekka Xtrax Wrap along a grip

DSC05869.jpg

Newbery Krakatoa Players Weight on side sticker = 2.7

- Below weight is without grip, made a counter balance and handle feel for bottom hand.

DSC05867.jpg

DSC05868.jpg

Salix Weight on side sticker = 2.10

- Applied a toe guard after getting it.

DSC05866.jpg

MB Malik Limited Edition Weight what I was told = Don't remember

- Applied full front face scuff sheet, edge tape and tape on toe along two grips one regular and other GM Shock Absorba

DSC05865.jpg

CA 12000 Plus Weight on side sticker = 2.9

- Applied scuff tape, Lekka Xtrax grip, double grip, edge tape on toe and edges.

DSC05864.jpg

M&H Harlequin Weight what I was told = Medium when buying from PDC

- Applied Adidas grip heavier than regular chevron, toe guard and scuff sheet

DSC05863.jpg

Laver & Wood Legend with CarbonCore Handle Weight what I was told = 2.10

- Added nothing extra to it.

DSC05862.jpg

GM Icon Weight on the sticker = 2.8

- Double gripped with GM Shock Absorba

DSC05861.jpg

GM Luna Weight on the sticker = 2.8

- Double gripped with GM Control Grip

DSC05859.jpg

GM Flare Weight on the sticker = 2.7

-Single Gripped

DSC05858.jpg

Laver Reserve 1 Weight I asked = 2.7

DSC05857.jpg

Laver Pro Reserve Weight I had asked for = 2.8

DSC05856.jpg

Puma 3000 Weight I was told = 2.8

- Half grip underneath full grip and hammer edge applied

DSC05878.jpg

Gray Nicolls Oblivion Weight I was told = 2.9

- Applied toe guard, half grip underneath and oiled it

DSC05879.jpg

Gray Nicolls Custom Weight I was told = 2.10

- Double gripped and scuff sheet applied

DSC05880.jpg

Puma 6000 Weight I was told = 2.8

- applied Hammer Edge

DSC05881.jpg

BlackCat Weight I was told = 2.8.5 [Without stickers, grips, counter balance etc]

DSC05882.jpg

thanks for the posts CD. helps everyone get an idea. especially those who cant pick up bats before buying.

No worries mate, bats which surprised me the most were MB LE and GN Custom! I was shocked to see the weight of them.

Also I would say scale differs as well, I mean the Pro Laver Reserve was close to 2.8 but below 2.8 on LW's scale and on mine it is greater.

Awesome Work there CD bro!

yeah, the MBs are a bit shocking. (not sure if you still remember the Sher I asked last year- if it was genuine or not) Said 2.8 and turned out to be 2.12 -was oiled only!

was watching this cricket show rerun the other day and Mike hussey carries his weighing machine everywhere. he keeps adding or taking grips off to make his exact weight!!

He said everyone makes fun of his machine but they all want to weigh their bats!!

No worries bro, I got motivated by you :D

Yeah I have read/heard Mike Hussey machine story as well :))

I don't know if its the pickup but the MB's feel a lot less than what they are seriously. But my MB LE could be heavy because of all the extra stuff I have added.

JazakAllah Khair to WAASIF Bhai for telling me where to buy this scale from.

Thanks for the analysis of all your bats and their listed/actual weights.

My MB Sher was listed as 2.10 and it turns out to be 3lbs on the scale. My GN xyphos was sold as a 2.8, i removed the octopus grip, applied the aero grip and it weighs 2 lb 6.5 oz on the scale.
I have the same scale CD uses and it has been calibrated and verified to be extremely accurate.
I believe Pakistani bats are significantly heavier than the weight suggested.

Very informative and interesting thread; thanks CD for spending so much time to give these kind of valuable inputs.

Your not supposed to weigh a bat on scales like that. You need to get some proper scales that are designed to weigh a basket. or where the weight hangs, not compresses.
The problem is the flat scales sensor is a small point, not across the entire bat, you should be standing the bat up vertically to get correct weight.

Trust me I've had a problem were the bat's weight fluctuated from 2"13 to 2"6 depending on the scale. On proper scales it weighed 2"10.5

Also can people please post bat weights in pounds and ounces not pounds and percentages of pounds. I hate that.

The weights are posted in lbs and ounces not percentages. Dead weight is the same in multiple attempts, I have tried by changing bat positions various time.

Without getting too technical, I'd you weigh a bat or anything with scales placed upon a carpet then the figure will not be accurate.

Come on guys, CD bhai went through the struggle to get a weighing machine, and even gave us in depth perspective on bat weighing. So lets just appreciate his work. We all know it wasn't going to be 100% accurate.

JazakallahKhair for this CD bhai. I too was shocked to see that the GN was heavy. I don't think adding 2 grips would make so much difference.

Without getting too technical, I'd you weigh a bat or anything with scales placed upon a carpet then the figure will not be accurate.

I chose carpet because it is flat surface.

Where would you keep and weigh the stuff?

Come on guys, CD bhai went through the struggle to get a weighing machine, and even gave us in depth perspective on bat weighing. So lets just appreciate his work. We all know it wasn't going to be 100% accurate.

JazakallahKhair for this CD bhai. I too was shocked to see that the GN was heavy. I don't think adding 2 grips would make so much difference.

JazakAllah Khair for the kind words but it is all good :) It is fun cricket :yk

Your not supposed to weigh a bat on scales like that. You need to get some proper scales that are designed to weigh a basket. or where the weight hangs, not compresses.
The problem is the flat scales sensor is a small point, not across the entire bat, you should be standing the bat up vertically to get correct weight.

Trust me I've had a problem were the bat's weight fluctuated from 2"13 to 2"6 depending on the scale. On proper scales it weighed 2"10.5

Also can people please post bat weights in pounds and ounces not pounds and percentages of pounds. I hate that.

LOL Cheers mate, I'm not sure which scale I would want then.

Actually I will go to airport and take my stuff there and weigh it there that would be most and best solution to weight stuff I believe :D

Carpet has a bit of give in it, your best bet is to weigh it on a solid surface.

Lets move on, what happened is gone and is history now :)

Anyone else weighed there bat(s)?

I have found some extra-tec can add up to 0.5 ounces (take a 2lb 7.5 ou to 2lb 8ou)

Two quality thick grips can add more than 2 ounces, changing to thin plain grip will get back 0.5 ounces.

What are people using as "counter weights"?

I find my choice of loose or tight fitting gloves changes the pickup of a bat in my hands. If I have tight gloves, the bat feels a lot heavier, loose/larger gloves lighter bat.
Bat feels heaviest when you pick them up bare handed.

Back