Did Pakistan take the right decision to enforce follow-on in the 2nd Test vs New Zealand?

Did Pakistan take the right decision to enforce follow-on in the 2nd Test vs New Zealand?

• Total voters

Xoib

T20I Debutant
Runs
We have always been poor chasers ever a 50 run chase this team can botch. We have a lot of time still in the game we should have batted couple of sessions taken the lead past 500 and then inserted the Kiwis again on a detoriatng pitch.

Once again a senseless decision by the coach and the captain.

We have only bowled 35 overs, 20 odd today, bowlers are fresh and get kiwis back in.

If we do lose from here all players should retire in shame.

We have only bowled 35 overs, 20 odd today, bowlers are fresh and get kiwis back in.

If we do lose from here all players should retire in shame.

I think it makes sense:

1. We have barely bowled today so bowlers are Fresh
2. The weather in Dubai today is cloudy and windy, which helps the bowlers. It rained heavily, so probably the best day to be bowling
3. NewZealand are mentally shot at the moment, kick the dog when they are down
4. Remember Australia stone walled us here 3 weeks ago, lets not risk it again.

Absolutely the right call. The wicket is doing stuff, Nz team is down on the mat and this will be the best time to bowl with the cloudy conditions. We are the ones behind in the series so right move to go for the kill.

If sarfraz had not enforced follow on he would have been rightly lynched!

Of course it was the right decision!!

By batting we would only be increasing Kiwis' chances of drawing the game...

yes but if NZ score 420 can we chase down 100 odd on a wearing day 5 pitch givin our collapses in 4th innings I have my doubts.

Lol they just got bowled out for 90 on a day 3 pitch. We would have to really bowl badly for us having to bat again let alone nz getting a lead

Pakistan should have batted the kiwis out of the game. Any target above 20 will be too much for our timid batting line up

Of course it was the right decision. And knowing Pak batsman, who knows at what rate they would have scored their runs?

couple of good partnerships and 400+ is possible game is even stevens as long as Kiwis are hundred ahead.

Jeeeeeez, dude!! Dial down the doom and gloom a few hundred notches, will ya?

NZ will need someone to play like Botham and Laxman put together to grt them to this point! And their best bet for such a rescue act is out...

We will win this game by an innings.. I just dont think there is any way they will take a lead. We are winning this by an innings..

Last edited:
senseless thread, not a senseless decision to declare, in fact that is a very good decision

Even if they had Botham and Laxman, odds of something like those innings they played to win after FO are veey very low..

Such performances are very rare! Only a miracle can save NZ from defeat.

It's a bit risky I feel. There was plenty of time left and Pakistan could have extended the lead. Tomorrow mid day would had been a good time to put them to bat.

Follow on was correct decision considering there could be some more rain left in desert.

When you are shot for 90 on 3rd morning to concede a 330 lead, you are a dead man walking 2nd time. Kiwis have left this Test with Ken’s dismissal, they are just going through the motions and connected few - I expect this game to finish before tea tomorrow & Kiwis will be happy to end their suffering ASAP so that they can foucus on the all important 3rd Test.

No. When you have a man down, you do not remove your foot from his throat. Pakistan has needlessly given NZ an escape route - however remote that is. Even that 1% chance of a NZ revival could've been dashed by batting again to score 200 or 250 and given NZ 160 overs to bat on a 4th and 5th day pitch. That would've been curtains for NZ for sure.

Pakistan may in all likelihood still win the match but wrong decision for me given you are playing in the UAE with 2.5 days to go. The slow batting in the 1st innings was also a poor decision. Winning should not mask these errors. Imagine if NZ bat the whole day tomorrow with Taylor scoring a century or 150. Pakistan would probably end up requiring 100 and with the way the ball is spinning, you wouldn't rule out another Pakistani typical 4th innings shocker. Sarfraz's decision of not following-on against Australia was the correct one and this is the wrong one.

Absolutely the right decision, our batsmen could potentially have been bowled out for under a hundred after being spooked by the NZ collapse. Either that, or they would have wasted 50 or 60 overs crawling at a run-rate of 2 per over because Sarfraz didn't feel confident defending a lead under 450 as happened in the first test against Australia last month.

A somewhat comparable situation arguably arose two years ago when Misbah refused to enforce the follow-on against the West Indies at Dubai, and Pakistan were bowled out for 120 in the second innings, which gave the West Indians a lot of belief to be able to save the test. We only escaped defeat by the skin of the teeth.

The only time when not enforcing the follow-on makes sense is when the bowlers are tired and need some respite, but that's not the case here as NZ were bowled out in 35 overs today. Keeping the pressure on their batsmen is the only reasonable decision that Sarfraz could have made.

Last edited:
Good decision. The Dubai pitch has been flattening out a lot in the fourth innings for the past few years.

Not enforcing followon is a sign of lack of confidence. Batting again can use up precious time and allow the opposition to take a breather and fight for a draw. There have been only a couple of instances in the long history of cricket where teams have won after FO. And with two days left, i am hard pressed to recall a time when teams have saved many of them from thst position.

If you follow test cricket closely, you will realize 9 times out of 10, teams will go for this option.

I have zero confidence in our batting to chase even 50 in 4th inning on this pitch, I think they have really screwed themselves by not batting in 3rd inning they may still win it, but if they don't I won't be surprised one bit, this senseless decision deserve it,,, why even give NZ a sniff.

If you are 328 runs ahead, why wouldn't you give the follow-on?

Pakistan will most probably win by an innings and 50 runs.

No. When you have a man down, you do not remove your foot from his throat. Pakistan has needlessly given NZ an escape route - however remote that is. Even that 1% chance of a NZ revival could've been dashed by batting again to score 200 or 250 and given NZ 160 overs to bat on a 4th and 5th day pitch. That would've been curtains for NZ for sure.

Pakistan may in all likelihood still win the match but wrong decision for me given you are playing in the UAE with 2.5 days to go. The slow batting in the 1st innings was also a poor decision. Winning should not mask these errors. Imagine if NZ bat the whole day tomorrow with Taylor scoring a century or 150. Pakistan would probably end up requiring 100 and with the way the ball is spinning, you wouldn't rule out another Pakistani typical 4th innings shocker. Sarfraz's decision of not following-on against Australia was the correct one and this is the wrong one.

I'm with you and the other thing to factor in is the next test match.
I would have got the kiwis out there and run them ragged for 60 overs and prolonged the agony.
Get their bowlers tired for the next game and start punishing them after the first innings, and get on top of them.
As it is now it could be our bowlers in the field for 150 overs straight. Hope we get a couple early tomorrow

With sarfraz as captain even if u bowl the opposition out fr 90 win is not garunteed.

In the last game nz were 150 ahead with 1 wckt remaining & what does he do, carrys on bowling Haris when Hasan should have been bought on, he gave them the extra 25 runs & that proved to be fatal.

On second thoughts, after reading the posts which argue for batting on, i’ve Now changed my mind.
Pakistan should indeed have batted again and played on until lunch on the fifth day or declared once the lead was around 750...

Also, we should have batted reversed order thereby protecting Our too three against the new ball.

Hasan Ali should have batted left handed thereby negating their left arm spinner.

Two of the bowlers who would be opening could have aimed to hit the ball to Williamson and Ross’s hands thereby damaging them so they wouldn’t be able to bat in the second innings.

Have I missed anything? Oh maybe we should have batted until tea on the fifth day.

With sarfraz as captain even if u bowl the opposition out fr 90 win is not garunteed.

In the last game nz were 150 ahead with 1 wckt remaining & what does he do, carrys on bowling Haris when Hasan should have been bought on, he gave them the extra 25 runs & that proved to be fatal.

You think?
Yes of course... play cross batted slogs to straight deliveries when 20 odd runs with 5 wickets in hand were needed had nothing to do with it...

Genius

I have zero confidence in our batting to chase even 50 in 4th inning on this pitch, I think they have really screwed themselves by not batting in 3rd inning they may still win it, but if they don't I won't be surprised one bit, this senseless decision deserve it,,, why even give NZ a sniff.

Senseless?
Who?

Perfect decision.

Even, if by some miracle, NZ manage a lead, they will not be bale to make enough. Pakistan have this in the bag.

Only 126 runs now left, still 6 wickets in hand. This is looking dangerous for Pakistan. Pakistan will not be able to chase anything above 20.

If we bottle any sort of run chase here if we have to chase, then the batsmen are to blame!

Perfect decision.

Even, if by some miracle, NZ manage a lead, they will not be bale to make enough. Pakistan have this in the bag.

We never have anything in the bag. Don't forget the last test match where we couldn't chase 30 runs with 6 wickets in hand.

Few years ago Aus were 80 runs behind with 2 wckts in hand & STILL won the match comfortably.
Sarfraz will challenge Yousaf as worst captain of pak ever.

Remind you Babar, Haris and Azhar are due to fail mean three ducks+ Hafeez is another failure, Imam not sure can he score over 30, Shafiq is a proven failure, Sarfraz can't handle pressure, Rest are tailenders who can not even guarantee us even 5 runs combined (Asif, Yasir, Hasan and Abbas, last match 0 combined).
Even 50 runs will be too much for our mediocre batsmen.

Remind you Babar, Haris and Azhar are due to fail mean three ducks+ Hafeez is another failure, Imam not sure can he score over 30, Shafiq is a proven failure, Sarfraz can't handle pressure, Rest are tailenders who can not even guarantee us even 5 runs combined (Asif, Yasir, Hasan and Abbas, last match 0 combined).
Even 50 runs will be too much for our mediocre batsmen.
Are you high all the time? If Pakistan doesn't chase any meagre target NZ set them, they should all just retire. I doubt they would muck this up tbh.

This situation is exactly why Pakistan were correct to enforce the follow-on, it is hard work getting 20 wickets on this pitch. Batsmen willing to be patient, as shown by Haris in the first innings, can survive easily. Therefore, we need as many overs as possible to bowl these out. Even if that results in NZ getting a lead of 100, so be it. The bowlers need to persevere, and it would be a huge bonus if someone puts his hand up to support Yasir.

Pak fans are the worst..

This turned out to be the best decision.. pakistan are winning this match!!

Pak fans are the worst..

This turned out to be the best decision.. pakistan are winning this match!!

Only 40 runs left to get a lead. Nicholls is looking more and more like he will pull a Mike Hussey and take the lead to 140. And since Pakistan are incapable of chasing anything above 20, they will crumble and New Zealand will win.

Only 40 runs left to get a lead. Nicholls is looking more and more like he will pull a Mike Hussey and take the lead to 140. And since Pakistan are incapable of chasing anything above 20, they will crumble and New Zealand will win.
Stop this ******** about Pakistan can't chase anything over 20
Stop watching Pakistan. Stop supporting Pakistan. Pakistan don't need fans like you

Do you want a win or draw? Pakistsn cant lose this game... if they didnt enforce FO, this would surely have been a draw!!

And we can chase 150 in the 4th easy, as long as there is time... but its not coming to it!!

On the verge of winning

Pakistan have saved a lot of precious time by not batting for two sessions.

On the verge of winning

Pakistan have saved a lot of precious time by not batting for two sessions.

It would not have been wasting time, it would have been getting miles in the NZ bowlers legs and running the whole team ragged in the field.
Now it is our bowlers who have been out there for what will be 140 plus overs straight.
We have another game to test to play Monday you know.
And in the time we would have batted the pitch would only have gotten worse, so it would have taken less time to get the wickets then

It would not have been wasting time, it would have been getting miles in the NZ bowlers legs and running the whole team ragged in the field.
Now it is our bowlers who have been out there for what will be 140 plus overs straight.
We have another game to test to play Monday you know.
And in the time we would have batted the pitch would only have gotten worse, so it would have taken less time to get the wickets then

Yah you do that , waste the chance of winning a test by an innings when 328 ahead.

Another win for us is that we didnt provide hafeez a chance to score soft runs.

Can we please do away with the myth of it being tough to bat in the fourth innings at Dubai? Statistics clearly show that after the first innings, the fourth innings is the easiest for batting at Dubai. The pitch flattens out and becomes extremely slow.

5kzEhks.png

We never have anything in the bag. Don't forget the last test match where we couldn't chase 30 runs with 6 wickets in hand.

What did I say? NZ couldn't even force a miracle.

One must first understand cricket, a team which is 300 + down and following on can not win unless there is a massive innings...heck they can't even draw a match unless there is A LOT of time left in the game.

This site has too many immature kids who dont understand cricket and just want to rant!!

My suggestion: stick to watching T20 cricket only.. leave tests for adults..

The outcome of this test was never a question after we bowled out NZ for 90 in the first dig!

Taking wrist slitting to new levels!

It was an easy and correct decision to force the follow on. Too much panic going on.

I have noticed most pakistani fans are fed a healthy diet of LOIs and dont particularly follow and fully understand the intricacies of the longer format..

Which is why Misbah and Younis were pariahs during their playing days and a hack like Afridi is a legend!!

The panicking over enforcing the follow-on was unnecessary. I usually wouldn't enforce it as UAE conditions are very physically taxing but we only bowled 35 overs in the 1st innings. Given how badly NZ batted it made sense to reinsert them when they were low on confidence.

NZ were not going to score enough runs to set us any difficult 4th innings chase - you don't come back from 90 all out that easily especially given how they were all at sea against Yasir.

But we have to cry about something don't we.

The panicking over enforcing the follow-on was unnecessary. I usually wouldn't enforce it as UAE conditions are very physically taxing but we only bowled 35 overs in the 1st innings. Given how badly NZ batted it made sense to reinsert them when they were low on confidence.

NZ were not going to score enough runs to set us any difficult 4th innings chase - you don't come back from 90 all out that easily especially given how they were all at sea against Yasir.

But we have to cry about something don't we.

Yes we do.. its this sort of immaturish behavior and expectstions from our fans that put undue pressure on our team as well.

Pak should have batted and scored 200-250 quick runs in second innings instead of forcing follow on.

Just see the result one complete day got wasted. Pakistan usually gets less test matches and in these few tests when your batsmen don't get chance to bat in both innings then how can they score 10000+ runs.

Pak should have batted and scored 200-250 quick runs in second innings instead of forcing follow on.

Just see the result one complete day got wasted. Pakistan usually gets less test matches and in these few tests when your batsmen don't get chance to bat in both innings then how can they score 10000+ runs.
Yaqeen maano yaar, I doubt any other fans whine this way :)))

Yaqeen maano yaar, I doubt any other fans whine this way :)))

I think they are just trolling at this stage, that reference to batsmen scoring 10,000 test runs is rather droll. At least, I hope so or the country is worse shape than I had ever imagined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelieveable!!!

We should have batted and scored 200-250 runs.. lol

Can we please do away with the myth of it being tough to bat in the fourth innings at Dubai? Statistics clearly show that after the first innings, the fourth innings is the easiest for batting at Dubai. The pitch flattens out and becomes extremely slow.

5kzEhks.png

You know you can't win with hard facts.
Logic goes out of the window when it comes to some people

We have one of the best attacks in cricket, have a bit of confidence.

All the responses against a follow on are coming from an insecure and negative mindset, that mindset will never win you games.

Unbelieveable!!!

We should have batted and scored 200-250 runs.. lol

A win is a win whether with a big margin or small margin, but at last you should have few batsmen who set an example for youngesters to come.

How many times Sachin won matches for India? But everyone praises the number of runs and hundreds he scored.

A win is a win whether with a big margin or small margin, but at last you should have few batsmen who set an example for youngesters to come.

How many times Sachin won matches for India? But everyone praises the number of runs and hundreds he scored.

Well i don’t.

I would rather your team won .. personal milestones mean jack..

Back