Do Bangladesh really deserve to play Test matches?

This is your best post. Exactly if u look at my stats for last 10 years Pak and SRL were also **** in Test. If you remove BD, WI, NZ from Test then PAK and SRL will be the new minnow of Test cricket.

Yup Pakistan are minnow,

last series against SA result 1-1

last series against Aus result 1-1

last series against Eng result 3-0

last series against NZ 1-0

last series against WI 1-1

Pakistan havent lost at their adopted home in last 5 years, Bangladesh can only dream of such things

Pakistan might be going through a tough phase but still they are no minnow, they can compete well enough at test level and that is what you want, teams go through bad phases, but not to win a single match in 14 years is terrible

I think they were brought in too early but now they should stay. It is hard to develop new Test nations.

Disappointed by their recent actions though. Rather than standing shoulder to shoulder with PCB, SLC et al against the big three, they went their own way for short term gains...

Yup Pakistan are minnow,

last series against SA result 1-1

last series against Aus result 1-1

last series against Eng result 3-0

last series against NZ 1-0

last series against WI 1-1

Pakistan havent lost at their adopted home in last 5 years, Bangladesh can only dream of such things

Pakistan might be going through a tough phase but still they are no minnow, they can compete well enough at test level and that is what you want, teams go through bad phases, but not to win a single match in 14 years is terrible

I was strictly referring to Tests only. In the last 10 years of cricket Pak won 16, lost 29, and drew 19 test matches vs top 6. This is not a definition of competing 'well.'

Though not a minnow, with top 6 teams only playing Tests PAK and SRL would be rock bottom. And yes BD is terrible at Tests everyone knows that they are a minnow.

I was strictly referring to Tests only. In the last 10 years of cricket Pak won 16, lost 29, and drew 19 test matches vs top 6. This is not a definition of competing 'well.'

Though not a minnow, with top 6 teams only playing Tests PAK and SRL would be rock bottom. And yes BD is terrible at Tests everyone knows that they are a minnow.

I think you need to look at the test rankings again

I just realised something. Because of the security situation, maybe Bangladesh deliberately lost that badly so Sri Lanka won't turn down the tour and inflict embarrassment against them. Interesting...

No! but so what? the question should really be "Does anyone even care about Test Cricket"?

Limited overs is the future of Cricket. The fact of the matter is that only 4 countries of more than 200 especially 2 in England and Australia are interested in test Cricket and the rest are weak from all sorts of levels. Tests has no future.
What rubbish. If nobody cares about test cricket, why BCB was crying a river when 'Big 3' decided to relegate their test status?

In all honesty they do not. They are hopeless and have achieved little in their 15 or so years of test cricket.

However they are also victim to lack of matches and long durations between tours. I'd quite like them playing some 'A' cricket. Sending the England Lions or other countries equivalents to Bangladesh would be a mutually beneficial arrangement but I think for pride issues the Bangalis wouldn't agree.

Last edited:
What rubbish. If nobody cares about test cricket, why BCB was crying a river when 'Big 3' decided to relegate their test status?

That is because Test status comes in a package. It brings you more ODIs and T20s. Relegation means not just giving up Tests, but also ODIs and T20s. Kapish?

I was also referring to tests, mentioned recent results against other teams

16 test wins in worst phase as test nation, is good enough, As i said teams go through bad phases, but that doesnt mean they are a minnow...

Last edited:
Lots of people saying Ireland, Ireland and Ireland. Yes the Ireland team that just gotten thrashed by Guyana which is just 1 part of the West Indies. :)))

^Ireland may occasionally defeat major nations today because they are playing pressure free cricket, every win is like winning a world cup for them while a loss can be brushed off as a learning experience. Just give them status, more money and make them play major tournaments - they will do worse than Bangla. People always want to cheer for an underdog, that is understandable.

I don't think it's in Bangladesh's best interests to play tests really. When they play them they lose. And they don't play them an awful lot.

Part of this is due to lack of test matches. But also lack of first class domestic structure.

With Bangladesh what I would do is focus on improving domestic, especially first class. And just play LOI, concentrate on becoming a good team. Once they have done that, they can make that transition to tests easier.

Bangladesh are getting stronger in ODIs, you can see they have some quality players now. They have the fan base support and the number of people/healthy competition needed to produce good cricket players.

People need to stop bashing them for their "lack of improvement in tests". It's not easy thing to do quite frankly.

I don't think it's in Bangladesh's best interests to play tests really. When they play them they lose. And they don't play them an awful lot.

Part of this is due to lack of test matches. But also lack of first class domestic structure.

With Bangladesh what I would do is focus on improving domestic, especially first class. And just play LOI, concentrate on becoming a good team. Once they have done that, they can make that transition to tests easier.

Bangladesh are getting stronger in ODIs, you can see they have some quality players now. They have the fan base support and the number of people/healthy competition needed to produce good cricket players.

People need to stop bashing them for their "lack of improvement in tests". It's not easy thing to do quite frankly.

This

With more domestic cricket we can only get better in tests.

They need to go on "A" tours for a decade (ICC can fund such tours for the fringe nations), and participate in all major LOI and T20 tournaments and play bilateral ODI tours with big players. During this period they can also try to build a strong first class structure. As a test team they are way too behind the next higher ranked team and don't deserve a test status.

Yes first class structure of Bangladesh is very very bad. I remember what Rahul Dravid said a while back that it would be wise if India allows the strongest first class team Bangladesh can put up with join the ranji trophy or something.

Bangladesh are doing well in 50 over version now because of the success of their Dhaka Premier League which also involves foreign players from many other countries.

First class system in Bangladesh does not involve foreign players, pitches are flat, pacers are only on for about 15 overs and most of them are not even quick.

Do Bangladesh deserve Test status?

I've doubts over bangladesh being a test playing nation as they don't have a single test standard bowler which cause in some bordge of runs by the opposite batsman and teams. I've doubt if they have ever defeated one of top 8 teams or their bowlers have avoided conceeding 500+ runs mark in any of the tests against top 8 teams. Can any stats man confirm these stats . Its not good enough to play test cricket if can't have tests quality bowlers. I know they've decent batter but with decent bowler they can only draw a test and could't win.
What do you thing guys?

If they can't fight then why have test status? Just reduce it. . . These points they have would be from drawn tests against Sl

Test status should be taken away if they continue to produce roads to sneak in draws against better teams. They have no intentions to win, only to draw.

On what basis Ireland should be giving test status? Ire will be another bangladesh if given test status unless they have good enough bowlers.

And it starts!!!!
PP is so predictable...
Anyways guys, there is one other test remaining!! We have played atrocious cricket but as someone who has followed BD cricket everytime we take the field, I can promise that we are capable of better cricket.

And it starts!!!!
PP is so predictable...
Anyways guys, there is one other test remaining!! We have played atrocious cricket but as someone who has followed BD cricket everytime we take the field, I can promise that we are capable of better cricket.

What is better cricket for you? Salvaging a draw on a road constructed for the same purpose, with your team filled with batsmen?

Sorry to say, BD's approach is pathetic and their team doesn't deserve test status due to this approach in modern day cricket and not due to any lack of talent.

Thoughts?

I think they need to play more to improve, but they're also relying on the same bunch of players over and over, which shows that either there is a lack of quality after these players or the selectors are clueless. Not sure which it is.

I cannot believe people want LESSER teams to play this DYING format. No one shows up for test matches on the grounds. No one watches it at home except for some of the hardcore fans. There has been nothing done to adapt the format for a newer generation and they are instead expected to watch a 5 day 7 hour format which turns interesting on day 5 because one team eventually makes a mistake. This sport has existed for nearly 150 years yet you have only 10 teams who have played at the highest level for most of it. Boards are losing money due to test matches. The only way out is to have more teams play this format so if we cannot grow the existing base, we can at least add a newer base to it.

I don't think that playing 100 tests in 10 years is going to help much. It takes few generations and some exposure to a good domestic set up to lift the standards.

Even in the last 10 years, I have seen a decent improvement in quality of players in BD. Previous generation was totally useless but current lot have started winning the the shorter versions at home. I think a better domestic set up or may be BD players participating in few longer formats in other countries will help. Playing too many tests against lot stronger oppositions without doing other steps won't help. County cricket was a great learning experience for many players around the world in 60s/70s. If county finds some players attractive then that could be one option for BD players.

People citing examples of SL miss one point. Some body pointed it out that many SL players used to participate in Indians domestic games. It will take time. Next generation of players from BD will get better. It's not only about playing millions of tests with the same set of players. That's why I think, as cricket fans, we shouldn't go too hard on BD due to last 10 years of performance even though it was 60-70 tests.

I do think that many BD fans want to see BD playing the test cricket. I don't follow BD cricket much but crowd seems passionate about cricket whenever I have seen it on TV. They turn up even for non-BD games. 10-15 years down the line, if BD can perform well in the test format then with their intense fan base, we may have a country with potential to support themselves financially and also help others in generating revenue. Cricket needs to expand and not to be restricted. I follow most of the SA , Indian & Aus games & some limited Pak games. I won't really watch SA playing BD right now with much interest but it will be good for world cricket if BD can become competitive in longer formats. You may not see a large crowd for the test format in BD right now but if BD can win few tests then I am sure that crowd will be better.

Good post.You have pointed out some facts about our cricket.

Back