Do you believe that Imran Khan committed a crime in the Al Qadir University case?

Do you believe that Imran Khan committed a crime in the Al Qadir University case?

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
From Al Jazeera:

What is the Al-Qadir University Trust case about?

Khan was arrested for an offence related to the Al-Qadir University Trust case. Last June, the new coalition government alleged that Khan and his wife obtained land worth billions of rupees for their trust from Malik Riaz, a major property tycoon of Pakistan, to build an educational institute.

The NAB has alleged that Khan’s PTI government struck a deal with Riaz that caused a loss of more than $239m to the national exchequer, in a quid pro quid arrangement with the real estate businessman.

Khan and his government were not directly linked to the case.

Imran's defence:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3OIriprWKuU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Guess who else is involved in IK's Al Qadir Trust Case, Hassan Nawaz Sharif - do watch this.&#55357;&#56391;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pakistan?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Pakistan</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Corruption?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Corruption</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NawazSharif?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NawazSharif</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MafiaExposed?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MafiaExposed</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AlQadirTrustCase?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AlQadirTrustCase</a> <a href="https://t.co/pAp9pEC9JZ">pic.twitter.com/pAp9pEC9JZ</a></p>— Mohsin Meer مُحسِن میر (@MohsinMeer10) <a href="https://twitter.com/MohsinMeer10/status/1657504399273369602?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 13, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
No. Its Rana's word..there is no evidence. And I predict this case will dissappear too because if the truly investigate the shariefs and malik riaz will be the ones in trouble.. Khan can defencld himself in this quite easily.. even the paid journos cant coherently sum this case up in a few words..

I don't think there is a case here but I really do hope Imran learns his lessons about getting too close to establishment men.

He has a history of cosying up to the corrupt to maintain power.

We have a chance of a new dawn in Pakistan and I really do hope that he doesn't do deals with the old guard politicians.

I don't think there is a case here but I really do hope Imran learns his lessons about getting too close to establishment men.

He has a history of cosying up to the corrupt to maintain power.

We have a chance of a new dawn in Pakistan and I really do hope that he doesn't do deals with the old guard politicians.

Agreed but to change the system, you have to work within the system 1st. Not great but unless you have real power, you can't do much. We had this bizarre situation with Electronic voting machines,where Bajwa got worried about losing control and the ECP refused to implement them, even though they were mandated by law.

NAB CHANGES TITLE OF AL-QADIR TRUST CASE, SUMMONS IMRAN KHAN

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has changed the title of Al-Qadir Trust case to ‘National Crime Agency £190m Scandal’, summoning Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan on May 18, ARY News reported on Tuesday.

According to details, the accountability watchdog summoned Imran Khan on May 18 in ‘personal capacity’ in Al-Qadir Trust case, which title has been changed to ‘National Crime Agency £190m Scandal’.

Sources told ARY News that the NAB instructed the former prime minister to bring the documents related to the case.

Imran Khan’s arrest

Former prime minister and PTI Chairman Imran Khan was arrested by National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the Al-Qadir Trust case on Tuesday.

The PTI chief was taken into custody by Rangers personnel, who were acting on the National Accountability Bureau’s (NAB) warrant, from the premises of Islamabad High Court where the former premier had gone to seek bail in multiple cases registered against him.

Later, Islamabad High Court (IHC) barred authorities from arresting PTI Chairman Imran Khan in all cases, even those are undisclosed, registered across the country until Monday (May 15).

The court also granted protective bail to PTI chief in three terrorism cases registered against him in Lahore and stopped authorities from arresting him till May 17 in any case registered in Islamabad after May 9.

ARY

I've now read quite a few articles about this case..at least two different ones from Dawn and the Dawn ones have still not managed to link this to Imran Khan personally. With regards to the NCA they are mere conjecture and show a complete lack of knowledge of civil service procedure and the NCA itself. Also 50 million is the shariefs money and 140 million was brought back to Pakistan and by ball intents and purposes was deposited into Pakistan govt accounts.

What has this got to do with Al qadir trust? I still fail to see the link to Khan and even worse to his wife? Did Khan benefit personally? Clearly not. Did his wife ? Clearly not.

Are there issues around the repatriation of I'll gotten gains back to Pakistan? Yes but again the point being the money came back into govt accounts.

The Dawn article starts off reasonably well but then like all of their articles veers of into speculation. The analysis is quite poor. It has no real conclusion. The article doesn't even mention Imran Khan. It is incoherent.

It relies on a Pakistani source who Clearly has no clue how the NCA works..or the civil service. I'm flabbergasted that such an esteemed newspaper can't simply explain the case in a simple manner.

There's no politics without corruption and there can not be any political party on this planet which doesn't involve in corruption. There are always 2 questions - (1) the degree of corruption and (2) whether money was taken to fill personal coffers. As an outsider to Pakistan, my view is that IK is significantly less corrupt than Sharifs and other parties, and I also feel whatever money he would have made would largely be for the party and much less for himself. If IK is genuinely interested in changing Pakistan (i am not sure if that's the case because while he was the PM i didn't read about any material change in Pakistan economy but more of self promotion as messiah), then may the force be with him.

Last edited:
Babar Awan terms Al-Qadir Trust case a ‘propaganda stunt’
On the other hand, PTI lawyer Babar Awan has said that the Al-Qadir Trust case was a “propaganda stunt”.

“The new NAB law states that unless somebody gets ill-gotten money in their pockets, only then can action be taken against them,” he told media persons outside the accountability bureau’s office. “There is no case, this is just a persecution.”

Awan claimed that PTI workers across the country were all jailed in fake cases. “So we fight for the democracy, rule of law and upholding the Constitution in the country.”

Responding to questions regarding the NAB investigation today, the lawyer said that the government should apologise to Imran and Bushra Bibi.

Imran questions NAB action sans probe into Bahria owner

Former prime minister Imran Khan, who is facing proceedings before the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case, on Tuesday questioned the credibility of the probe, pointing out the accountability watchdog’s failure to take action against Bahria Town owner Malik Riaz.

Mr Khan made these remarks in his response to a call-up as he along with his spouse, Bushra Bibi, joined the proceedings in the Al Qadir Trust case at NAB Rawalpindi’s office. In a written reply, Mr Khan also shifted responsibility on his former accountability aide Shahzad Akbar for making a secret deal with the property tycoon.

According to the reply, it was a misconception that the retrieved amount of £190m was not deposited in the national treasury. NAB grilled Mr Khan for about four hours at its office and asked him to bring records along at the next hearing. Sources said that the reply of Mr Khan was also termed “unsatisfactory” by NAB officials.

In his response about the money received from the UK, Mr Khan stated, “It got deposited after conversion into PKR in the account opened in the name of Registrar Supreme Court of Pakistan…[if] the amount transferred constitutes ‘illegitimate amount’ and that Bahria Town is the beneficiary, thereof, it is indeed strange that till date you appear not to have taken any punitive measures against the owners of BTLK [Bahria Town] or applied to the Honorable Supreme Court of Pakistan for the recovery of the said amount on the ground that it is illegitimate money.”

He stated that since he was not aware of the settlement between the National Crime Agency (NCA) and Malik Riaz, he relied upon the briefing of Shahzad Akbar that “the amount was to be repatriated to Pakistan against the liability of respondents [Bahria Town].”

He said that the issue did not come under discussion in the cabinet.

“Shahzad Akbar got the deed of confidentiality approved from the cabinet on Dec 3, 2019. However, I am not aware of any other deed of confidentiality that may have been signed by SAPM Shahzad Akbar on Nov 06, 2019. As regard the allegations that in the deed of confidentiality stately signed on Nov 06, the designated account for adjustment of liability of BTLK was malafiedly intimated to the NCA UK for transfer of funds instead of repatriation of the recovered amount to the State of Pakistan, in order to give and obtain material benefit, I reiterate that I am not aware of any deed of confidentiality… nor was I privy to or have participated in providing any designated account to the NCA for repatriation of the funds from UK to the state of Pakistan.”

The bureau shared relevant documents with the PTI chairman and directed him to submit the record along with the details at the next hearing.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1755340/imran-questions-nab-action-sans-probe-into-bahria-owner

Khan will not be charged in this case because Big Daddy Malik Riaz is involved. Not even a single TV channel, nor a politician or a general has mentioned Malik Riaz’s name. Big Daddy is the central character in this case.

There's no politics without corruption and there can not be any political party on this planet which doesn't involve in corruption. There are always 2 questions - (1) the degree of corruption and (2) whether money was taken to fill personal coffers. As an outsider to Pakistan, my view is that IK is significantly less corrupt than Sharifs and other parties, and I also feel whatever money he would have made would largely be for the party and much less for himself. If IK is genuinely interested in changing Pakistan (i am not sure if that's the case because while he was the PM i didn't read about any material change in Pakistan economy but more of self promotion as messiah), then may the force be with him.

he committed money laundery

People in this thread stating Imran committed money laundering is a massive joke. I'm quite confident some folks on this thread does not know the details of the case yet presenting their conclusions on it. I'm happy to do a cordial debate if they believe Imran did money laundering but they would have to explain their side as to how the money got laundered.

Former federal minister Faisal Vawda on Wednesday claimed that former DG ISI Lieutenant General (Lt Gen) Retired Faiz Hameed was the “architect” and the “mastermind” in the National Crime Agency £190m case Imran Khan was currently facing, ARY News reported.

The PTI leader was speaking to the media after he appeared before NAB in NCA £190m corruption case.

Talking to the media, Vawda said that former accountability advisor Shahzad Akbar, Zulfi Bukhari and other leaders were being named in this case but the biggest “beneficiary” is Faiz Hameed.

Imran, wife benefited from UK NCA £190m deal: Spotlight on Corruption

LONDON: Former prime minister Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi apparently benefited personally from the UK National Crime Agency (NCA) and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government’s £190 million dirty money deal, UK’s Spotlight on Corruption, an anti-corruption NGO, has claimed.

Organisation’s Executive Director Susan Hawley condemned the NCA for showing an appalling lack of judgment and transparency by agreeing to a dubious deal with Imran Khan’s government.

She said it appears that the £190 million deal was the result of corrupt dealings with the UK NCA and the Pakistan government. The deal was struck between the UK NCA’s international anticorruption unit and Shahzad Akbar, the PTI government’s former accountability minister, who was authorised by Imran Khan to finalise a deal with the UK authorities.

Speaking to The News, Susan Hawley said the NCA’s secret settlement with the Pakistani business tycoon showed an appalling lack of judgement and transparency by the agency.

She said: “The settlement which the NCA claimed was evidence of its success in tackling international corruption now appears to be the result of corrupt dealings. It was clearly brokered by the government in Pakistan at the time, and apparently benefited Imran Khan and his wife personally.”

According to Susan Hawley, the settlement allowed the tycoon to declare his innocence and avoid liabilities within Pakistan thus giving him almost complete impunity. “It is the people of Pakistan who are the losers in this terrible saga, while the UK continues to be a playground for corrupt elites from Pakistan and other countries with no consequences,” Ms Hawley added.

The issue of £190 million came to the light again as former PM Imran Khan was arrested a few days ago over charges of corruption in what’s called Al-Qadir Trust/UK NCA case and his arrest triggered violence and the subsequent events which have shaken the PTI. The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) questioned both Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi last week about the same case, which is threatening the parliamentary political career of Imran Khan.

Imran Khan, along with his wife Bushra Bibi, and other PTI leaders including Shahzad Akbar and Zulfi Bukhari, are facing an inquiry related to a settlement between the PTI government and the business tycoon, which caused a loss of 190 million pounds to the national exchequer.

According to the accusations, Khan and his wife personally benefited when Rs50 billion (190 million pounds at that time) was transferred by the NCA to the Pakistani government as a condition of the deal with the tycoon.

Imran Khan and his wife got 458 kanals of land in Sohawa from the tycoon to establish Al Qadir University. During the PTI government, United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency (NCA) seized the tycoon’s assets worth 190 million.

The agency said the assets would be passed to the government of Pakistan and the settlement with the tycoon was “a civil matter, and does not represent a finding of guilt”.

Subsequently, then prime minister Imran Khan get approval of the settlement with the UK crime agency from his cabinet on December 3, 2019, without disclosing the details of the confidential agreement and asking the cabinet that they should approve the deal because it was too sensitive.

It was decided that the money would be submitted to the Supreme Court on behalf of the tycoon and not in the State Bank of Pakistan.

Subsequently, Al-Qadir Trust was established in Islamabad a few weeks after the Imran-led government brokered and approved the agreement with the tycoon. PTI leaders Zulfi Bukhari, Babar Awan, Khan’s wife Bushra Bibi, and her close friend Farah Khan were appointed as members of the trust.

It was soon after the approval of the deal by Imran Khan government that the tycoon transferred 458 canals of land to Bukhari, a close aide of the PTI chief, which he later transferred to the trust. Later, Bukhari and Awan opted out as the trustees. That trust is now registered in the name of Khan, Bushra Bibi and Farah Gogi.

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) officials were earlier probing the alleged misuse of powers in the process of recovery of “dirty money” received from the UK crime agency, but following the emergence of irrefutable evidence in the case, the inquiry against Imran, Bushra Bibi, Barrister Shahzad Akbar, and others was converted into the investigation.

The UK NCA said that the £190 million was given to the state of Pakistan and not to any PTI government or individual.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/10...from-uk-nca-190m-deal-spotlight-on-corruption

It’s a clear cut case of quid pro quo. Pakistan not only lost out on whatever money was being repatriated but also it was adjusted against other dues. Which means even that adjusted revenue was lost. In return land was given to a trust held by Imran and family. I don’t know how anyone can say this is not corruption.

Even if he did not take the land, IK government still sided with corrupt criminal who they said they are fighting. After taking about bringing back billions of dollars of looted money, his government actually facilitated a criminal to escape pay back. A foreign government investigates and finds a well known criminal guilty. Fines him and then the prime minister of the country who came to power on the back of promises of fighting corruption and bringing looted money back, suddenly agrees to give up on the repatriation. I don’t know how PTI supporters can defend his and his government actions.

It’s a clear cut case of quid pro quo. Pakistan not only lost out on whatever money was being repatriated but also it was adjusted against other dues. Which means even that adjusted revenue was lost. In return land was given to a trust held by Imran and family. I don’t know how anyone can say this is not corruption.

Even if he did not take the land, IK government still sided with corrupt criminal who they said they are fighting. After taking about bringing back billions of dollars of looted money, his government actually facilitated a criminal to escape pay back. A foreign government investigates and finds a well known criminal guilty. Fines him and then the prime minister of the country who came to power on the back of promises of fighting corruption and bringing looted money back, suddenly agrees to give up on the repatriation. I don’t know how PTI supporters can defend his and his government actions.

Such utter nonsense completely devoid of facts.

Go read up on the deal that was agreed between the corrupt criminal and the UK authorities and then come back here with your apology.

Such utter nonsense completely devoid of facts.

Go read up on the deal that was agreed between the corrupt criminal and the UK authorities and then come back here with your apology.

Absolutely no apologies when there is such an obvious corruption. He came to power promising to bring billions of dollars back to pakistan. When an opportunity came all he did was sell it off for personal gain.

Absolutely no apologies when there is such an obvious corruption. He came to power promising to bring billions of dollars back to pakistan. When an opportunity came all he did was sell it off for personal gain.

Al Qadir university is not a place for personal gain, yeah?

As Immy69 said, learn the basics of this whole issue and then come back.

‘Was not on talking terms with Shahzad Akbar’: Sheikh Rashid responds to NAB notice in Al-Qadir Trust case
Awami Muslim League (AML) chief Sheikh Rashid Ahmed has submitted a response to the notice sent by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the Al-Qadir Trust case.

Sharing a copy of his response on Twitter, the PTI ally said that he did not attend the cabinet meeting where the matter of the Al Qadir Trust was presented. “I have no information and evidence with regard to Al-Qadir Trust,” he said

He added that he had “strained relations” with ex-accountability czar Shahzad Akbar and was “not even on talking terms with him”.

DAWN

Former federal ministers Farogh Naseem and Dr Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui have recorded their statements before the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) investigators in the National Crime Agency (NCA) £190m scandal against ex-PM Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi, citing sources, ARY News reported on Wednesday.

Sources told ARY News that Farogh Naseem and Dr Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui confirmed that the matters related to NCA’s £190m were not part of the federal cabinet meeting’s agenda.

They apprised the NAB team that they had been asked to give the approval without providing any briefing or documents. The former ministers told the investigators that they didn’t have any documents related to the case.

The former ministers appeared before the combined investigation team and were questioned for nearly 1.5 hours. Sources added that the NAB team will review the statements of three former federal ministers.

Earlier in the day, an accountability court in Islamabad granted former prime minister Imran Khan bail in the Al-Qadir Trust case till June 19 against surety bonds worth Rs500,000.

The PTI chief arrived at the Federal Judicial Complex after the Islamabad High Court (IHC) directed him to approach a relevant accountability court. Accountability Judge Muhammad Bashir presided over the hearing

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has sought from the Punjab Excise and Taxation Department details of purchase and sale of vehicles “in the name of” 22 members of former prime minister Imran Khan’s cabinet as part of its investigation in the Al Qadir Trust case.

The Al Qadir Trust case alleges that the ex-premier and his wife, Bushra Bibi, obtained billions of rupees and land worth hundreds of kanals from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising Rs50 billion that was identified and returned to the country by the UK during the previous PTI government.

In connection with the case, NAB issued a letter to the provincial excise department, stating that the bureau’s Rawalpindi office was “conducting an investigation against the subject of persons on the allegations of corruption and corrupt practices under the provisions of the National Accountability Ordinance, 1999”.

“In view thereof, you are requested to provide the details/ copies of certified documents of any vehicles’ sales/purchase during the period of Jan 2018 till date in the name of the following persons by June 20, 2023” before the NAB’s combined investigation team in Islamabad, the letter, a copy of which is available with Dawn.com, read.

NAB has sought details about the sale or purchase of vehicles in the name of the following persons under Section 19 (power to call for information) of the NAB Ordinance.

Asad Umar
Shireen Mazari
Pervez Khattak
Fawad Chaudhry
Hammad Azhar
Azam Khan Swati
Sheikh Rashid Ahmad
Zaheeruddin Babar Awan
Omar Ayub Khan
Shafqat Mahmood
Faisal Vawda
Murad Saeed
Ali Amin Khan Gandapur
Syed Ali Haider Zaidi
Khusro Bakhtiar
Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui
Ghulam Sarwar Khan
Zubaida Jalal
Ijaz Ahmad Shah
Muhammad Farogh Naseem
Muhammad Soomro
Sahibzada Muhammad Mehboob Sultan

NAB spokesperson Kashif Zaman told Dawn.com that the letter was issued a few days ago but did not specify the exact date.

Previous developments in the case
The case shot into the spotlight when PTI chief Imran Khan was whisked away from the Islamabad High Court premises by paramilitary forces in the graft case on May 9.

His arrest sparked countrywide protest across the country, during which several public and private properties, including military installations, were vandalised.

The PTI chief had immediately approached the IHC for his release, but the high court had declared his arrest legal.

He had then approached the Supreme Court, which on May 11, termed his arrest “invalid and unlawful” and directed him to appear before the IHC the next day.

Subsequently, the IHC had granted him bail in the case for two weeks and later, an Islamabad accountability court had granted the former premier bail till June 19 against surety bonds worth Rs500,000.

NAB has also summoned Bushra Bibi for investigation in the Al Qadir Trust case on June 7.

Meanwhile, Fawad, who served as the information minister and science and technology minister during the previous PTI government and has recently left the party, has claimed he did not have any knowledge of the matter.

When questioned by the NAB, he said he had not seen an “agreement” being presented before the cabinet in a sealed envelope.

Similarly, Rashid — the Awami Muslim League chief who is also an ally of the PTI — has said he had not attended “that cabinet meeting”, where the Al-Qadir Trust case deal was approved.

Moreover, former federal minister Faisal Vawda has claimed that ex-Inter-Services Intelligence chief Faiz Hameed was the “architect” and the mastermind in the corruption case.

“My compulsion today was to tell the nation that when you say the beneficiary is Imran, […] the biggest is Faiz Hameed,” he had said while speaking to the media last month.

DAWN

PTI Chairman Imran Khan’s wife, Bushra Bibi, on Wednesday responded to a notice issued to her by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the Al-Qadir Trust case and said that she did not have information about the settlement between the United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency and property tycoon Malik Riaz.

The accountability watchdog had directed Bushra Bibi and the PTI chief to appear before its Rawalpindi office along with documents pertaining to the registration, donations and other details of the Al-Qadir University on June 7 (today).

The Al-Qadir Trust case alleges that the PTI chief and his wife obtained billions of rupees and land worth hundreds of kanals from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising Rs50 billion that was identified and returned to the country by the UK during the previous PTI government.

In her reply, a copy of which is available with Dawn.com, she said that the PTI chief had requested the bureau to shift the hearing to June 8 (tomorrow) as he was already scheduled to appear before the Islamabad High Court and an anti-terrorism court in Islamabad.

Highlighting that she observes “strict purdah (veil) and would like to be accompanied by my husband when I travel to Islamabad”, Bushra Bibi requested the accountability bureau to shift her NAB appearance to Thursday.

Bushra Bibi further said that the “donations made to Al-Qadir University Project Trust were not ‘disguised under the garb of donations’, rather they are genuine donations, made bona fide exclusively for the benefit of Al-Qadir University Project Trust”.

She asserted that “all donations made by Bahria Town Ltd (including land, building, funds, etc) are for the exclusive use and benefit of the Al-Qadir University Project Trust and not for the use or benefit in any manner of any individual, including the trustees”.

She said the NAB was “duty bound to identify and particularise the information sought from” her as well as state the connection between the details and her involvement in the case.

“I have no personal knowledge of, nor was I privy to any matter relating to the proceedings between the UK’s NCA and Malik Riaz family, or the terms of settlement between NCA and Malik Riaz family pursuant to the said proceedings, or the repatriation of funds from the UK to Pakistan, or the proceedings of the Federal Cabinet and the decision taken by it on Dec 3, 2019,” she said.

She said that there was “no such land, cash, gift or any valuable thing given to me or, as far as my information goes, to any other trustee, by Malik Riaz Hussain or any of his family member/ Bahria Town Ltd”.

“Kindly note that I have not made any donations to the trust,” she added.

Regarding the documents sought by the NAB, Bushra Bibi said they were with the trust’s chief financial officer, who told her he had already submitted the certified copies of the documents to the accountability watchdog on May 23.

A graft case has been registered against Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chief’s wife Bushra Bibi's son, Ibrahim Maneka, former Punjab chief minister Usman Buzdar and six others in Lahore by the Anti-Corruption Establishment (ACE), the Express News reported on Wednesday.

According to the ACE, the accused took bribes worth millions of rupees for appointments and transfers of high-ranking officials in various government departments. Amounts received in bribes were allegedly collected and deposited in different banks by Farah Gogi. Around Rs450 million have been recovered thus far, states ACE in its FIR.

The FIR maintains that the accused abused the powers accorded to them to appoint and transfer individuals to high-ranking posts within the government.

Maneka, Buzdar, Gogi, senior bureaucrat Tahir Khurshid, Ahmed Aziz Tarar, Saleha Saeed, Usman Muazzam and Sohail Khwaja have been named in the case.

Earlier this week, Buzdar, like other PTI stalwarts including Shireen Mazari and Ali Haider Zaidi, reportedly announced that he is quitting the PTI, as well as politics, in the aftermath of May 9.

In his press conference, Buzdar condemned the vandalism witnessed on May 9 - when civil and military installations were attacked by enraged protestors - and stressed that he has always stood by the Pakistan Army and continues to do so.

The controversial former chief minister of Punjab maintained that he has always believed in politics of virtue and requested all stakeholders to set aside differences and work towards the betterment of the country.

Several other PTI leaders have either renounced their positions within the beleaguered party, left it or distanced from politics altogether in the past month.

For me apart from Toshakhana, this is most potent case against him. Remember that Sharif was dismissed just on account of non disclosure ( goes against Sadiq and Ameen requirement ).

For me apart from Toshakhana, this is most potent case against him. Remember that Sharif was dismissed just on account of non disclosure ( goes against Sadiq and Ameen requirement ).

True. However, it would be very difficult to punish Khan over Al-Qadir land scandal because it involves Malik Riaz. Nobody is willing to mess with Malik Riaz.

True. However, it would be very difficult to punish Khan over Al-Qadir land scandal because it involves Malik Riaz. Nobody is willing to mess with Malik Riaz.

True. But Malik Riaz is not on trial here. Imran Khan's cabinet passed the resolution to use the repatriated illegal money to pay Malik's dues to SC. Imran Khan's excuse is so incredibly lame, that even the banana SC might struggle to justify.

True. But Malik Riaz is not on trial here. Imran Khan's cabinet passed the resolution to use the repatriated illegal money to pay Malik's dues to SC. Imran Khan's excuse is so incredibly lame, that even the banana SC might struggle to justify.

I know he is not. But Big Daddy's name with come to the forefront if the trial goes ahead in a transparent and objective manner. So, I feel there would be no conviction.

this is what blows my mind. A PM who came to power promising to fight corruption, went ahead and did this. UK govt found Malik Riaz wrong and said we will repatriate the money to Pakistan. What does IK do? he went and adjusted it against something else. Not only did he let go valuable forex, he also let go fines Malik Riaz companies were due to pay in Pakistan, all the while throwing whatever principles he stood for.

This in itself is a huge breach of trust. I don't know how anyone can say he does not support corruption when he clearly let go proceeds of financial settlement money from coming to govt coffers.

The argument IK uses for going ahead with this deal is that if the cabinet did not accept the terms of the NCA, then the state of Pakistan would have had to go into litigation with the UK authorities to get that money and the prospects of winning against the UK authorities were extremely bleak and the case would have dragged on without much development for the next 6-7 years and would have been very costly as well to the exchequer. The government of Pakistan had already spent close to $100 million in legal costs in efforts to bring back looted wealth back into the country without result.

Which stupid person would forgo the opportunity to bring back 190 million pounds into the country?

Are you still here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there. Can you explain what the corruption was?

I expect pin drop silence till they find another stupid story
Suddenly they have all disappeared. So Toshakhana story gone to pot, this trust case humiliated Isa and the rent a Rp judges and the most stupid case of all- the cypher. A crime that doesn't have victim, and the evidence of the cypher isn't attached and both Hamid Mir and Najam Sethi claimed they had copies of. Kaptaan has awakened a nation to the bone headed idiots running PK

ISLAMABAD: A National Accountability Bureau (NAB) team visited PTI Chairman Imran Khan in the Adiala Jail on Sunday and interrogated him in connection with charges he faces in the 140 million pounds Al Qadir Trust case.

A senior official of NAB while talking to Dawn said the questioning continued for over two hours.

Officials from the anti-graft watchdog have been visiting Adiala Jail since Nov 15 to investigate Mr Khan’s role in the case.

Mr Khan and his wife are accused of obtaining billions of rupees and hundreds of kanals of land from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising Rs50 billion that were identified and returned to Pakistan by the United Kingdom during the previous PTI government.

The case relates to the alleged illegal acquisition of land for and construction of Al Qadir University involving unlawful benefit given in the recovery of prime proceeds (140m pounds) through the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) in a money laundering case against real estate tycoon Malik Riaz and his family.

Imran Khan is also accused of misleading the cabinet by concealing the facts related to the settlement agreement. Money was received under the settlement agreement (140m pounds) and was supposed to be deposited in the national exchequer. But it was adjusted in the recovery of Rs450bn liabilities of Bahria Town Karachi (BTK).

The notice served on the accused says that the anti-graft watchdog took cognisance of the commission of offences of corruption and corrupt practices as defined under the NAB laws. It said the NCA had on Dec 14, 2018 frozen approximately 20m pounds from the bank accounts of two Pakistani nationals — Ahmad Ali Riaz and his wife Mubashra. On Aug 12, 2019, the NCA further froze 119.7m pounds lying in the bank accounts of Malik Riaz’s family and also one Hyde Park Place property, the notice added.

The NAB’s record revealed that instead of repatriation of funds to the state, the money was ‘dishonestly’ and ‘maliciously’ adjusted against liability of BTK by transferring the same to the designated account which was maintained by the Supreme Court registrar for depositing the liability of BTK.

“In return to this favour illegally and dishonestly, Bahria Town Ltd gave material and monetary benefits in shape of land measuring 458 kanals, Rs285 million, building and other kinds disguised under the garb of donations to Al Qadir University Trust in which you are one of the trustees and signed acknowledgment of donations with Bahria Town,” said a previous NAB notice to Mr Khan’s wife Bushra Bibi.

It is pertinent to mention that the Supreme Court on Nov 23 ordered that an amount of Rs35 billion, which was remitted to the apex court’s bank accounts maintained in the name of the SC registrar, in the Bahria Town settlement, be transferred to the federal government.

Published in Dawn, November 27th, 2023

DAWN

‘Imran Khan does not deny receiving land from Malik Riaz for Al-Qadir trust’

The PTI chief’s legal aide Naeem Haider Panjutha has said that former prime minister Imran Khan does not deny receiving land for the Al-Qadir trust from property tycoon Malik Riaz.

“Khan accepts the fact that £190 million came in the Supreme Court account and he and his wife Bushra Bibi are trustees in Al-Qadir trust. He [Khan] says that he is not getting any benefit from all of this,” Panjutha told Asma Shirazi on Faisla Aap Ka on Monday.

According to him, the NAB was unnecessarily taking hours interrogating Khan when he had already answered all the questions and submitted the records related to the Al-Qadir trust.

“Today, when I asked Imran Khan about the reports that the National Accountability Bureau interrogated him for hours, he said that the officials would ask him questions for around 15 minutes and would then begin gossiping,” he added.

Panjutha claimed that the NAB is attempting to create an impression that it is achieving some huge success from the proceedings and that Khan was not able to satisfy the investigation teams.

PTI makes Al-Qadir trust deed public
The deed was presented for registration by Imran Khan on July 10, 2020 before the joint sub-registrar, Islamabad

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has made public the Al-Qadir Trust Deed and said Imran Khan had no role whatsoever in this context.

Imran’s lawyer Intezar Hussain Panjutha emphatically declared during a news conference on Thursday that the PTI chairman had no role in the Al-Qadir Trust and that was why it had been decided to make the Al-Qadir Trust Deed public on his instructions. The deed was presented for registration by Imran Khan on July 10, 2020 before the joint sub-registrar, Islamabad.

The former prime minister’s counsel said the documents were being brought before the media under the direction of Imran to keep the facts in front of the nation regarding the “false case” made against him. He explained that the Al-Qadir University Project Trust was not set up for personal gains, as both Imran Khan and his spouse Bushra Bibi were the Board of Trustees.

Panjutha said that Bushra Bibi’s role was only as a trustee, because the Al-Qadir Trust was being governed by its board and no one did any interference in its affairs, adding that whatever decisions were taken pertaining to running the institution were made by the board of trustees.

NAB files reference against Imran, Bushra Bibi and 6 others in Al-Qadir Trust case

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on Friday filed a reference against PTI Chairman Imran Khan and seven others, including the ex-premier’s wife Bushra Bibi and property tycoon Malik Riaz, in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The case alleges that Imran and his wife obtained billions of rupees and land worth hundreds of kanals from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising Rs50 billion that was identified and returned to the country by the UK during the previous PTI government.

Imran was initially arrested in the case earlier this year from the premises of the Islamabad High Court but was later released after the Supreme Court declared the arrest unlawful.

On Nov 14, the PTI chief, who is already imprisoned in Adiala Jail in the cipher case, was again arrested by the accountability watchdog in the case. He was then handed over to the watchdog on physical remand, before being sent on judicial remand.

The others named in the reference include Farhat Shahzadi, a close friend of Imran’s spouse, former special assistants to the prime minister (SAPM) Mirza Shahzad Akbar and Zulfi Bukhari, legal expert for the PTI government’s Assets Recovery Unit (ARU) Ziaul Mustafa Nasim and Ahmed Riaz.

The accountability watchdog submitted the reference against Imran and others to an accountability court in Islamabad earlier today. It said the “accused […] were given multiple opportunities to justify and provide information, but they deliberately, with malafide intention, refused to provide the information on one or the other pretext.

“Furthermore, it is established through their responses that they have nothing in their defence to rebut the above-mentioned allegations. Thus, they all have committed an offence” under the National Accountability Ordinance (NAO).

It added that the investigation proceedings and findings so far “established that accused persons in connivance with each other have committed the offence of corruption and corrupt practices” as defined under the NAO.

The reference said Imran played a “pivotal role” in the illicit transfer of funds which were meant for the state which ultimately benefited Riaz.

Akbar, the former SAPM and Asset Recovery Unit chief, played a “crucial role” in the “illegal design of the funds” which were meant for the state, the reference said.

Malik, the reference said, had “actively aided, abetted and assisted and acted in conspiracy” with the other respondents for the diversion of funds earmarked for the state.

Bushra Bibi and Shahzadi also played a “significant” and “crucial” role in the “illegal activities”, the latter also a “front woman” for Imran and his wife, it said.

The reference said that it was “just and proper” to proceed against the eight suspects as there was “sufficient incriminating evidence” available to justify the reference.

It pleaded that the eight suspects be tried and punished in accordance with the law by the court or any other to which the reference was entrusted.

NAB files reference against Imran, Bushra Bibi and 6 others in Al-Qadir Trust case

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on Friday filed a reference against PTI Chairman Imran Khan and seven others, including the ex-premier’s wife Bushra Bibi and property tycoon Malik Riaz, in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The case alleges that Imran and his wife obtained billions of rupees and land worth hundreds of kanals from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising Rs50 billion that was identified and returned to the country by the UK during the previous PTI government.

Imran was initially arrested in the case earlier this year from the premises of the Islamabad High Court but was later released after the Supreme Court declared the arrest unlawful.

On Nov 14, the PTI chief, who is already imprisoned in Adiala Jail in the cipher case, was again arrested by the accountability watchdog in the case. He was then handed over to the watchdog on physical remand, before being sent on judicial remand.

The others named in the reference include Farhat Shahzadi, a close friend of Imran’s spouse, former special assistants to the prime minister (SAPM) Mirza Shahzad Akbar and Zulfi Bukhari, legal expert for the PTI government’s Assets Recovery Unit (ARU) Ziaul Mustafa Nasim and Ahmed Riaz.

The accountability watchdog submitted the reference against Imran and others to an accountability court in Islamabad earlier today. It said the “accused […] were given multiple opportunities to justify and provide information, but they deliberately, with malafide intention, refused to provide the information on one or the other pretext.

“Furthermore, it is established through their responses that they have nothing in their defence to rebut the above-mentioned allegations. Thus, they all have committed an offence” under the National Accountability Ordinance (NAO).

It added that the investigation proceedings and findings so far “established that accused persons in connivance with each other have committed the offence of corruption and corrupt practices” as defined under the NAO.

The reference said Imran played a “pivotal role” in the illicit transfer of funds which were meant for the state which ultimately benefited Riaz.

Akbar, the former SAPM and Asset Recovery Unit chief, played a “crucial role” in the “illegal design of the funds” which were meant for the state, the reference said.

Malik, the reference said, had “actively aided, abetted and assisted and acted in conspiracy” with the other respondents for the diversion of funds earmarked for the state.

Bushra Bibi and Shahzadi also played a “significant” and “crucial” role in the “illegal activities”, the latter also a “front woman” for Imran and his wife, it said.

The reference said that it was “just and proper” to proceed against the eight suspects as there was “sufficient incriminating evidence” available to justify the reference.

It pleaded that the eight suspects be tried and punished in accordance with the law by the court or any other to which the reference was entrusted.

Another pathetic case along with the other 200. You know this is pathetic because they thought their strongest case was the Toshakhana 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Imran Khan has always been a public figure and an open book. Who are his opponents here and how have they represented their nation before and after similar accusations were brought against them?

Non-bailable arrest warrants issued for Malik Riaz, Shahzad Akbar and 4 others in Al-Qadir Trust reference

An Islamabad accountability court on Monday issued non-bailable arrest warrants for property tycoon Malik Riaz, former special assistants to the premier Mirza Shahzad Akbar and Zulfi Bukhari, and three others in the reference filed in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

Non-bailable arrest warrants were also issued for Farhat Shahzadi, a close friend of the spouse of ex-premier Imran Khan, lawyer Ziaul Mustafa Nasim, and Riaz’s son Ali Ahmed Riaz.

Last week, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) had filed the reference against Imran and seven others, including his wife Bushra Bibi, in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The case alleges that Imran and Bushra Bibi obtained billions of rupees and land worth hundreds of kanals from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising Rs50 billion that was identified and returned to the country by the UK during the previous PTI government.

Non-bailable arrest warrants issued for Malik Riaz, Shahzad Akbar and 4 others in Al-Qadir Trust reference

An Islamabad accountability court on Monday issued non-bailable arrest warrants for property tycoon Malik Riaz, former special assistants to the premier Mirza Shahzad Akbar and Zulfi Bukhari, and three others in the reference filed in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

Non-bailable arrest warrants were also issued for Farhat Shahzadi, a close friend of the spouse of ex-premier Imran Khan, lawyer Ziaul Mustafa Nasim, and Riaz’s son Ali Ahmed Riaz.

Last week, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) had filed the reference against Imran and seven others, including his wife Bushra Bibi, in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The case alleges that Imran and Bushra Bibi obtained billions of rupees and land worth hundreds of kanals from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising Rs50 billion that was identified and returned to the country by the UK during the previous PTI government.

This is an attempt to blackmail MR but the SC got a blackmail after Isa went after IK and got humiliated.

Do you think MR is someone who can be easily blackmailed?

it seems like a plot building up against IK.
Tbh no one knows. MR is also an old hand and he has brand with this housing society and fake testimony may destroy the brand. On the other hand, if he doesn't, Munir, NS and the mafia( which he is also a paid up member) may destroy him.

Court issues proclamation against Malik Riaz, five others in £190m corruption case

ISLAMABAD: An accountability court on Wednesday issued proclamation against property tycoon Malik Riaz, his son Ahmed Ali Riaz, Mirza Shahzad Akbar, Zulfi Bukhari, Farah Shahzadi alias Farah Gogi and a lawyer, Ziaul Mustafa Nasim, for not joining the hearing of the £190 million corruption case.

Accountability judge Mohammad Bashir resumed hearing into the corruption reference related to Al-Qadir University in Adiala jail.

On a previous hearing on Dec 4, the court issued non-bailable arrest warrants for the above mentioned suspects.

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has filed a reference against former prime minister Imran Khan, his spouse Bushra Bibi and the above mentioned suspects before the court earlier last week.

NAB’s deputy prosecutor general Sardar Muzaffar Khan Abbasi informed the court that the warrants could not be executed since all the accused were at large.

The court subsequently, issued the proclamation against the absconders and directed the prosecution to publish it in newspapers and place it in front of the residences of the suspects, outside the court and at prominent places.

He adjourned further proceeding till January 6, 2024. In case the accused do not surrender by the next date of hearing, the court would initiate proceedings to attach movable and immovable properties of the absconding suspects. The court however extended the pre-arrest bail of Imran Khan’s spouse Bushra Bibi till December 13.

Malik Riaz is so far resisting pressure from the establishment and PDM.

NCA £190M SCANDAL: EX-PTI MINISTER MAKES STARTLING REVELATIONS

ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Federal Minister Zubaida Jalal made startling revelations before National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in National Crime Agency (NCA) £190 million scandal (Al-Qadir Trust Case), ARY News reported.

As per details, the former federal minister told NAB that the then cabinet member had suggested an investigation of £190 million and ask the NCA to release the amount to Pakistan.

According to anti-graft watchdog, the cabinet members became part of the investigation and all have the same stance regarding the NCA scandal.

Zubaida Jalal told NAB in her statement that she urged the cabinet for investigation into this matter but former prime minister Imran Khan didn’t listen to her.

Moreover, the NCA £190 million was approved despite objections from cabinet members and the minutes of the meeting were kept secret.

NAB has so far summoned several cabinet members of PTI government and other party leaders in connection with the £190m scandal.

Source : Ary News

NCA £190M SCANDAL: EX-PTI MINISTER MAKES STARTLING REVELATIONS

ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Federal Minister Zubaida Jalal made startling revelations before National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in National Crime Agency (NCA) £190 million scandal (Al-Qadir Trust Case), ARY News reported.

As per details, the former federal minister told NAB that the then cabinet member had suggested an investigation of £190 million and ask the NCA to release the amount to Pakistan.

According to anti-graft watchdog, the cabinet members became part of the investigation and all have the same stance regarding the NCA scandal.

Zubaida Jalal told NAB in her statement that she urged the cabinet for investigation into this matter but former prime minister Imran Khan didn’t listen to her.

Moreover, the NCA £190 million was approved despite objections from cabinet members and the minutes of the meeting were kept secret.

NAB has so far summoned several cabinet members of PTI government and other party leaders in connection with the £190m scandal.

Source : Ary News
If the boots hold a gun to your head you too would sing like a canary.

So let's actually ask what the case is about. The £190mn was returned to PK and put into the SC account, this money wasn't stolen by IK or taken off the 450bn MR owed to the SC. But MR brought property from NSs son at double the market value, and this was done at the time of the Panama papers revelations. It doesn't take a genius to work out what happened. Az and the ppp gave land free around Karachi to Bahria and the SC fined them 450bn, who has been charged with this corruption. And the irony is that after the 450bn was imposed on MR the Sindh govt said it belonged to them.Oh the irony.

Khattak set to testify against Imran in £190m case
Nadeem Afzal Chan and Zubaida Jalal also prosecution witnesses

Former prime minister Imran Khan’s close confidant Pervez Khattak along with former PTI leader Nadeem Afzal Chan and one of his cabinet members, Zubaida Jalal, have been identified as witnesses for the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the £190 million case.

Azam Khan, the former premier’s principal secretary, is also listed as one of NAB’s witnesses. The roster includes bank officers, Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) representatives, a patwari, and the secretary and deputy secretary of the Assets Recovery Unit.

The executive director and chief financial officer of Al-Qadir Trust, purportedly formed by Imran Khan’s wife Bushra Bibi, are also set to testify for NAB.

The case revolves around allegations of corruption and abuse of authority linked to a financial settlement during the PTI’s tenure, which reportedly incurred a £190 million loss to the national exchequer.

Khattak set to testify against Imran in £190m case
Nadeem Afzal Chan and Zubaida Jalal also prosecution witnesses

Former prime minister Imran Khan’s close confidant Pervez Khattak along with former PTI leader Nadeem Afzal Chan and one of his cabinet members, Zubaida Jalal, have been identified as witnesses for the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the £190 million case.

Azam Khan, the former premier’s principal secretary, is also listed as one of NAB’s witnesses. The roster includes bank officers, Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) representatives, a patwari, and the secretary and deputy secretary of the Assets Recovery Unit.

The executive director and chief financial officer of Al-Qadir Trust, purportedly formed by Imran Khan’s wife Bushra Bibi, are also set to testify for NAB.

The case revolves around allegations of corruption and abuse of authority linked to a financial settlement during the PTI’s tenure, which reportedly incurred a £190 million loss to the national exchequer.

So you kidnap people for months( Azam Khan) and then you get them testify for you. You blackmail the likes of P Khattak to set up fake parties and then you also get them to testify.

Malik Riaz, Shahzad Akbar, 4 others declared proclaimed offenders in Al-Qadir Trust reference

A Rawalpindi accountability court on Saturday declared property tycoon Malik Riaz, former special assistants to the premier Mirza Shahzad Akbar and Zulfi Bukhari, and three others as proclaimed offenders in the reference filed in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The others named in the reference include Farhat Shahzadi, a close friend of PTI chief Imran Khan’s spouse, legal expert for the PTI government’s Assets Recovery Unit Ziaul Mustafa Nasim and Ahmed Riaz.

Accountability judge Mohammad Bashir resumed hearing into the corruption reference related to Al-Qadir University in Adiala jail. On a previous hearing on Dec 6, the court had issued a proclamation against the six for not joining the hearing of the £190 million corruption case.

The investigation officer recorded his statement regarding the suspects in today’s hearing.

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) had filed the reference against PTI chief Imran Khan and seven others, including his wife Bushra Bibi, in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The reference filed by NAB alleged that Imran, who is currently in jail, played a “pivotal role in the illicit transfer of funds meant for the state of Pakistan into an account designated for the payment of land by Bahria Town, Karachi”. It also claimed that despite being given multiple opportunities to justify and provide information, the accused deliberately, with mala fide intention, refused to give information on one pretext or another.

The reference
The reference said the “accused […] were given multiple opportunities to justify and provide information, but they deliberately, with malafide intention, refused to provide the information on one or the other pretext.

Akbar, a former special assistant to the premier and Asset Recovery Unit chief, played a “crucial role” in the “illegal design of the funds” which were meant for the state, the reference said.

Source : DAWN NEWS

Malik Riaz, Shahzad Akbar, 4 others declared proclaimed offenders in Al-Qadir Trust reference

A Rawalpindi accountability court on Saturday declared property tycoon Malik Riaz, former special assistants to the premier Mirza Shahzad Akbar and Zulfi Bukhari, and three others as proclaimed offenders in the reference filed in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The others named in the reference include Farhat Shahzadi, a close friend of PTI chief Imran Khan’s spouse, legal expert for the PTI government’s Assets Recovery Unit Ziaul Mustafa Nasim and Ahmed Riaz.

Accountability judge Mohammad Bashir resumed hearing into the corruption reference related to Al-Qadir University in Adiala jail. On a previous hearing on Dec 6, the court had issued a proclamation against the six for not joining the hearing of the £190 million corruption case.

The investigation officer recorded his statement regarding the suspects in today’s hearing.

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) had filed the reference against PTI chief Imran Khan and seven others, including his wife Bushra Bibi, in connection with the Al-Qadir Trust case.

The reference filed by NAB alleged that Imran, who is currently in jail, played a “pivotal role in the illicit transfer of funds meant for the state of Pakistan into an account designated for the payment of land by Bahria Town, Karachi”. It also claimed that despite being given multiple opportunities to justify and provide information, the accused deliberately, with mala fide intention, refused to give information on one pretext or another.

The reference
The reference said the “accused […] were given multiple opportunities to justify and provide information, but they deliberately, with malafide intention, refused to provide the information on one or the other pretext.

Akbar, a former special assistant to the premier and Asset Recovery Unit chief, played a “crucial role” in the “illegal design of the funds” which were meant for the state, the reference said.

Source : DAWN NEWS
Another drama. Freeze all MRs assets and he will be back. The fact is that MR has been blackmailed to state IK took favours from him and as this isn't true, MR so far has resisted.

Court freezes properties of Malik Riaz, PTI leaders in £190m case

An Islamabad accountability court on Monday froze properties of five accused, including property tycoon Malik Riaz and his son, who have been declared proclaimed offenders in a 190 million-pound corruption case.

The accountability judge, Mohammad Bashir, issued orders to freeze movable and immovable properties of Mr Riaz and his son, Ahmed Ali Riaz; aides to former prime minister Zulfi Bukhari and Mirza Shahzad Akbar; Farhat Shahzadi aka Farah Khan; and a lawyer, Ziaul Mustafa Nasim.

Their perpetual arrest warrants were also issued.

The court has ordered revenue officers across the country to seize the offenders’ immovable properties. The excise and taxation officers have been ordered to confiscate vehicles registered in their names.

Commercial banks have been directed to freeze their accounts and not allow transactions or withdrawals.

The judge also appointed an additional director of NAB as a “receiver” to collect rental income from the properties owned by these suspects.

When the case proceedings resumed on Monday, the National Accountability Bureau’s (NAB) prosecution team, headed by Sardar Muzaffar Khan Abbasi, shared a copy of the reference with the counsel for Mr Khan.

Since Bushra Bibi, the spouse of former prime minister Imran Khan, didn’t appear before the court, the judge warned her of issuing non-bailable warrants.

The former prime minister and his spouse have also been nominated as accused in this reference filed by NAB.

The prosecution also submitted the details of movable and immovable properties owned by the suspects, as the judge invoked Section 88 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.

The said section authorises a court to order attachment — the process of seizing properties — when an accused has been declared a proclaimed offender.

On Jan 6, Mr Riaz, the property tycoon, made a last-ditch effort to avert the confiscation of his properties when he filed an application seeking suspension of his arrest warrants.

In his application filed before the court, Mr Riaz stated that he was not aware of the proceedings initiated against him as he was abroad. He added that he had recently learned about the case and wanted to join the proceedings.

Source : Dawn News

NAB prosecution admits oversight in £190m corruption case

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) prosecution in the £190 million corruption reference admitted before the Islamabad High Court that the order of the National Crimes Agency (NCA) that confiscated the amount sent by property tycoon Malik Riaz was not brought into the judicial record.

IHC Chief Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Tariq Mehmood Jahangiri resumed hearing on the petitions.

Special Prosecutor Amjad Pervaiz was arguing on the post-arrest bail petitions of former prime minister Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi in this reference.

In response to Justice Jahangiri’s query about whether the prosecution obtained the certified copy that froze Mr Riaz’s money, the prosecutor replied in the negative.

Says deed to unfreeze funds post-NCA confiscation approved without cabinet disclosure

When the judge asked if the prosecution had the order to unfreeze the amount, Mr Pervaiz replied that there was no copy of the certified order, but he mentioned that the documents obtained from the UK included every detail of the case.

Mr Pervaiz argued that the previous PTI government established an Assets Recovery Unit (ARU), headed by then adviser on accountability Mirza Shahzad Akbar, which directly reported to the prime minister as it was located at the PM Secretariat.

He said the ARU wrote a letter to the NCA about money laundering by Malik Riaz, as he purchased a property in Hyde Park from Hassan Nawaz.

Mr Pervaiz mentioned that the Supreme Court imposed a Rs460 billion fine on Mr Riaz in a land case, and the amount was recently transferred to the Sindh government.

He said that Bahria Town purchased 458 kanal of land in the name of Zulfi Bukhari months before the Al-Qadir Trust was established, and deliberations on Al-Qadir Trust began after the land was transferred.

He said that the ARU was also dealing with the Bahria Town case at that particular point in time.

The prosecutor said that after the NCA confiscated Mr Riaz’s amount, Mr Akbar prepared a confidential deed to unfreeze this money and got it approved by the federal cabinet, even without sharing its contents with the members of the federal cabinet.

Justice Jahangiri inquired about the reason for which the NCA had frozen the amount.

The prosecutor replied that the NCA confiscated this transaction for being suspicious; however, the accused persons facilitated the transfer of this amount to

Mr Riaz’s account in an illegal manner. Further hearing in this matter has been adjourned till May 13.

Source : Dawn News

IHC reserves verdict on Imran, Bushra bail in £190m corruption case

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Tuesday reserved decision on bail applications of former prime minister Imran Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi in the 190 million pound corruption case.

A two-member bench, comprising IHC Chief Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Tariq Mehmood Jahangiri, reserved the verdict after the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) prosecution team and Sardar Latif Khan Khosa, the counsel for Mr Khan, concluded arguments.

In his concluding arguments, NAB Special Prosecutor Amjad Pervaiz informed the court that the trial of the ex-premier and his spouse was about to conclude.

He said that out of 59 prosecution witnesses, 30 have testified so far, and the prosecution would cut the number of remaining witnesses by 10 to 15 and produce the rest for recording statements. He cited a Supreme Court judgement where bail petitions were turned down in such situations.

Earlier, advocate Khosa argued that the case was baseless and there was no allegation of money laundering by the accused.

The money was seized by the UK’s National Crime Agency for being a suspicious transaction and was returned to Pakistan under an out-of-court settlement.

According to Mr Khosa, the amount could have been retrieved through UK courts, but it would have been time-consuming.

The government only facilitated the expeditious return of the seized amount, claimed Mr Khan’s lawyer.

SOURCE: DAWN NEWS

Imran to ‘appear before SC’ today after big relief

Former prime minister Imran Khan who has been in jail for almost nine months in multiple cases is all set to appear before the Supreme Court through video link as a petitioner in a case about changes in the NAB law, a day after two courts in the federal capital granted him relief in separate cases, including the Al-Qadir Trust matter.

Meanwhile, Judicial Magistrate Suhaib Bilal Ranjha also acquitted Mr Khan in a case registered against him at the Khanna police station in connection with the Azadi March in 2022. The cases against Mr Khan and other party leaders were registered over violation of Section 144.

This will be the first appearance of the PTI founder before the apex court since his arrest from Zaman Park in Aug last year and conviction in the Toshakhana case despite reservations expressed by the law minister about the order of the Supreme Court in this regard.

His party, on the other hand, expressed apprehensions about a visitors’ ban in the Adiala jail, saying the move was implemented to keep the party chief away from the Supreme Court proceedings in which his presence was ordered by the five-member bench.

On Wednesday, a division of the high court led by Chief Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Tariq Mahmood Jahangiri granted the former premier bail in the £190 million case on “reasonable ground”, saying the allegations of gratification levelled against the former premier needed “further inquiry”.

It allowed the bail against a surety bond of Rs1 million.

The National Accountability Bureau in its reference claimed that the ex-PM through his cabinet in 2019 got the approval to transfer £190m repatriated by the National Crime Agency in the United Kingdom into the account of the Supreme Court for the payment of liability of Bahria Town.

In a 12-page order, the court, however, questioned the transparency of the transaction and asked why Bahria Town’s money received from abroad which was “either laundered or illegally transferred was kept hidden from the public”.

The IHC also asked the trial court to “holistically” examine the evidence to determine the facts. The judgement said the high court could not conduct a “deeper examination” while hearing the bail petition.

In the order, Justice Farooq made it clear that “the amount transmitted from the United Kingdom to Pakistan is not £190 million, but after deduction is approximately £171.15m” and the legal framework agreement between the family of Malik Riaz and the NCA “is not on record but the government of Pakistan was made to sign the deed of confidentiality executed on Nov 06, 2019 but its sanction was obtained on Dec 03, 2019”. According to the court, the sanction did not provide retrospective approval or rectification of the act.

As per the high court, the NAB was right in saying that money ought to have been transferred to the government’s account rather than being used for the settlement of the liability of Bahria Town. As per the order, there are various provisions under the UN Charter for Prevention of Corruption that say that the “proceeds from the crimes are to be remitted to the states”.

In the world of transparency, it is surprising that money received from aboard which was either laundered or illegally transferred was kept hidden from the public of Pakistan, it said, adding that the prosecution, however, needed to connect the exercise of authority with the gratification to make out a case under section 9(a)(i) and (iv) of the Ordinance.

The bench expected that the trial court which is to see on the basis of available evidence holistically whether directly or indirectly any gratification was received by the petitioner for transferring the money to the SC account as a part of Bahria Town’s settlement.

Adiala ban

The PTI leaders in a press claimed that the ban on visitors to the Adiala jail was imposed as a part of an alleged plan to bar Imran Khan from appearing before the Supreme Court through video link in the NAB amendments case being resumed today.

Speaking at a press conference along with PTI lawyers, PTI spokesperson Raoof Hasan said that they were “extremely concerned and worried about Imran Khan’s wellbeing, as he was not being allowed to conduct his medical tests for the 15-20 days despite court orders”.

He claimed over the past two days Imran Khan’s security guards were suddenly changed at midnight and the hearings in the Al-Qadir Trust, cipher, and Toshakhana cases were postponed under various excuses, while the government’s counsel in the Iddat case suddenly left the country.

SOURCE: DAWN NEWS

Key former ally Pervez Khattak testifies against Imran in corruption case

As former prime minister Imran Khan faces a jail trial in the £190 million corruption case, former Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister Pervez Khattak arrived in Adiala Jail on Wednesday to testify against him before an accountability court.

Before he parted ways with the PTI to form the now-defunct PTI-Parliamentarians in the run-up to the Feb 8 polls, Mr Khattak was a key PTI leader, also serving as defence minister in Mr Khan’s federal cabinet, which he claimed had approved a confidential deed to transfer money, seized by the UK, to Bahria Town owner Malik Riaz.

Before Mr Khattak, a number of people considered close to the ex-premier have stood in the witness box in several cases faced by the PTI leader. His secretary Azam Khan testified in the cipher case, while another aide, Aun Chaudhry recorded his statement in the Iddat case.

Usually, the PTI founder does not move from his chair when witnesses record statements. But for Pervez Khattak, Mr Khan rose from his chair and approached the witness box, apparently to get a good look at his former comrade who had now turned against him.

In his almost 15-minute statement, the former PTI leader told accountability judge Mohammad Ali Warriach about the cabinet’s approval of the confidential deed, where the £190m seized by the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) as proceeds of crime, was allegedly returned to the property tycoon.

The case alleges that Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi obtained billions of rupees and land to the tune of hundreds of kanal from Bahria Town Ltd for legalising the said amount through the federal cabinet.

Mr Khattak testified before the court that he was a participant in the December 2019 meeting, where then-accountability adviser Mirza Shahzad Akbar produced the confidential deed in a sealed envelope for cabinet approval. He said when he inquired about the document, Mr Akbar said that it was an agreement of the Pakistani government with the NCA for the refund of crime proceeds.

According to the former minister, some cabinet members had asked Shahzad Akbar to disclose the document, but he refused to do so despite their insistence, saying that the deed was confidential.

Prosecution witnesses Zubaida Jalal, Nadeem Afzal Chan, and former principal secretary Azam Khan did not appear before the court. Owing to this fact, the defence counsel Usman Riaz Gill and Zaheer Abbas did not cross-examine Mr Khattak, saying that since all these witnesses concerned the same evidence, they would cross-examine them jointly. The next hearing is set for July 13.

‘Nothing special’

Speaking to media persons later, Imran Khan downplayed the statement of his former aide, saying that he did not say “anything special”. However, Mr Khan said that he would comment on this particular issue after the cross-examination was complete.

Mr Khan also urged the powers that be to conduct transparent elections to save Pakistan from the ongoing crisis, calling PM Shehbaz Sharif a ‘puppet’ of the establishment.

He claimed that the Feb 8 polls were a ‘historic fraud’ and the chief justice was remanding the case of the PTI to the ECP, which was responsible for it in the first place.

NAB appeals

Separately, the PTI founder requested the Supreme Court to dismiss the federal government’s intra-court appeal against a Sept 15 judgement of the top court, which had ruled that changes to the NAB law were illegal.

In a written submission on behalf of Imran Khan, the plea said the amendments to the NAO represent an unprecedented and egregious example of legislative manipulation. On June 6, a five-judge SC bench headed by CJP Qazi Faez Isa reserved its ruling on the federal government’s appeal against the Sept 15 majority judgement.

He said if the NAB is abusing its authority and powers, as it did in the Toshakhana case, then the NAO should be reformed to prevent such abuses. “The most glaring example of this abuse is the NAB case against me,” Imran Khan stated, adding that a necklace worth Rs18 million was falsely declared as being worth Rs3.18 billion, leading to an unjust case being filed. He said instead of abolishing NAB or weakening its mandate, it must be strengthened to prevent abuse of power.

DAWN

If this case had any legs it would have been prosecuted 1st, not after all their main cases had been thrown out. The money was sent to the SC, IK hasn't benefited from any transaction, there is no case.

Back