'Do You Consider Countrymen Brainless?' Court Slams 'Adipurush' Makers

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The Allahabad High Court today pulled up makers of the film 'Adipurush' over its dialogues that have infuriated a large section of the audience, who accuse it of 'hurting religious sentiments'. The court directed co-writer Manoj Muntashir Shukla to be made a party in the case, and issued notice directing him to respond within a week.

The court was hearing a petition demanding a ban on 'Adipurush', which claims to be a mythological action film based on the Hindu epic Ramayana.

"The nature of dialogues in the film is a big issue. Ramayana is a paragon for us. People read Ramcharitmanas before leaving home," it said, adding that films shouldn't touch certain things.

"Agar hum log ispar bhi aankh band kar len kyonki yeh kaha jaata hai ki yeh dharm ke log bade sahishnu (tolerant) hain to kya uska test liya jayega? (If we close our eyes on this issue too, because it is said that the people of this religion are very tolerant, will it be put to test as well?)," the bench remarked.

The Allahabad High Court questioned whether the film certification authority, popularly called the censor board, fulfilled its responsibility.

"It's good that people did not harm the law and order situation after watching the film. Lord Hanuman and Sita have been shown like they are nothing. These things should have been removed from the very beginning. Some scenes seem to be of "A" (adult) category. It's very difficult to watch such films," the court observed.

Terming it a "very serious matter", it questioned what the censor board did about it.

The Deputy Solicitor General informed the court that the objectionable dialogues have been removed from the film, to which the court asked the Deputy SG to ask the censor board what it has been doing.

"That alone won't work. What will you do with the scenes? Seek instructions, then we will definitely do whatever we want to do... In case the exhibition of the film is stopped, then the people whose feelings have been hurt, will get relief," the court said.

Regarding the argument of the respondents that a disclaimer had been added in the film, the bench said, "Do the people who put the disclaimer consider the countrymen, and youth, to be brainless? You show Lord Rama, Lord Laxman, Lord Hanuman, Ravana, Lanka and then say it is not Ramayana?"

"We saw it on the news that people went to the theatres and got the film shut down. Be thankful nobody vandalised it," the court added.

Hearing in the case will continue tomorrow.

NDTV

The Allahabad High Court today pulled up makers of the film 'Adipurush' over its dialogues that have infuriated a large section of the audience, who accuse it of 'hurting religious sentiments'. The court directed co-writer Manoj Muntashir Shukla to be made a party in the case, and issued notice directing him to respond within a week.

The court was hearing a petition demanding a ban on 'Adipurush', which claims to be a mythological action film based on the Hindu epic Ramayana.

"The nature of dialogues in the film is a big issue. Ramayana is a paragon for us. People read Ramcharitmanas before leaving home," it said, adding that films shouldn't touch certain things.

"Agar hum log ispar bhi aankh band kar len kyonki yeh kaha jaata hai ki yeh dharm ke log bade sahishnu (tolerant) hain to kya uska test liya jayega? (If we close our eyes on this issue too, because it is said that the people of this religion are very tolerant, will it be put to test as well?)," the bench remarked.

The Allahabad High Court questioned whether the film certification authority, popularly called the censor board, fulfilled its responsibility.

"It's good that people did not harm the law and order situation after watching the film. Lord Hanuman and Sita have been shown like they are nothing. These things should have been removed from the very beginning. Some scenes seem to be of "A" (adult) category. It's very difficult to watch such films," the court observed.

Terming it a "very serious matter", it questioned what the censor board did about it.

The Deputy Solicitor General informed the court that the objectionable dialogues have been removed from the film, to which the court asked the Deputy SG to ask the censor board what it has been doing.

"That alone won't work. What will you do with the scenes? Seek instructions, then we will definitely do whatever we want to do... In case the exhibition of the film is stopped, then the people whose feelings have been hurt, will get relief," the court said.

Regarding the argument of the respondents that a disclaimer had been added in the film, the bench said, "Do the people who put the disclaimer consider the countrymen, and youth, to be brainless? You show Lord Rama, Lord Laxman, Lord Hanuman, Ravana, Lanka and then say it is not Ramayana?"

"We saw it on the news that people went to the theatres and got the film shut down. Be thankful nobody vandalised it," the court added.

Hearing in the case will continue tomorrow.

NDTV

wht does htis mean? the bolded part?
and are the "adult" senes really offensive to hindus?

wht does htis mean? the bolded part?
and are the "adult" senes really offensive to hindus?

You guys have to understand- depiction of Ramayana and Mahabharata is a huge deal for us. Generations of Indians grew up watching/hearing about the epics shown on Indian TV back in the 80s, wherein the Gods were depicted as well, more Godly. People had a massive emotional connect with these cult classic dramas. These serials were such huge hits back that even the actors who depicted those roles of Ram, Sita, Krishna are till date worshipped as gods by some people.

Now some ****** filmmaker decided he had to ‘modernise’ Ramayana and suddenly you have a punk Hanuman mouthing ‘tapori’ dialogues, Sita romancing Ram, Ravana with a crew cut, bad vfx - you get the gist! I am surprised that for a country which can ignite for no apparent reason, people didn’t come out on the streets for this monstrosity of a ‘film’. I would never advocate banning of a film, but if any film deserves to be ridiculed for tampering with a cult classic alone, this is it.

You guys have to understand- depiction of Ramayana and Mahabharata is a huge deal for us. Generations of Indians grew up watching/hearing about the epics shown on Indian TV back in the 80s, wherein the Gods were depicted as well, more Godly. People had a massive emotional connect with these cult classic dramas. These serials were such huge hits back that even the actors who depicted those roles of Ram, Sita, Krishna are till date worshipped as gods by some people.

Now some ****** filmmaker decided he had to ‘modernise’ Ramayana and suddenly you have a punk Hanuman mouthing ‘tapori’ dialogues, Sita romancing Ram, Ravana with a crew cut, bad vfx - you get the gist! I am surprised that for a country which can ignite for no apparent reason, people didn’t come out on the streets for this monstrosity of a ‘film’. I would never advocate banning of a film, but if any film deserves to be ridiculed for tampering with a cult classic alone, this is it.

It sounds to me like you are more upset at a classic TV drama being ruined than this iteration being an insult to your deities.

It sounds to me like you are more upset at a classic TV drama being ruined than this iteration being an insult to your deities.

Depends on an individual. I have a very holistic view of my religion and I am not usually triggered by perceived insults to deities, so for me this is just tampering with my childhood memories. But i can also understand how some people can easily take this as an insult to gods. And having had the misfortune of sitting through this movie all I can say is that it is a miracle we haven’t witnessed riots in India due to this film.

I didnt watch the movie yet. But based on reviews and what I have seen the film is not true to characters as described in Valmiki's version of ramayan.

The animated Ramayanam captures the nature of the dieties properly.

Depends on an individual. I have a very holistic view of my religion and I am not usually triggered by perceived insults to deities, so for me this is just tampering with my childhood memories. But i can also understand how some people can easily take this as an insult to gods. And having had the misfortune of sitting through this movie all I can say is that it is a miracle we haven’t witnessed riots in India due to this film.

So if your childhood memories are tampered with, you think its justified you come out on to the streets and start rioting?

I am not trying to be a wiseass, just trying to understand your point. Ram and Sita did had a romance, of course, they were married. Perhaps its shown in the movie in bad taste? Also, it seems to me that this movie is very offensive due to Hanuman speaking slang?

But again this is not truly Ramayan, its a take on Ramayan using modern day characters, isnt it?

It’s a flop movie. Prabhas who played the character Ram looks horrible. His drinking habits have caught up to him. While the dialogues are cringe, it’s the graphics that look childish.
Anybody can make a film. It’s an expression of art. In this case audience have rejected the film.

Make documentary on Quran and see: Allahabad High Court in Adipurush case

The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday urged filmmakers to stay away from religious texts and not make movies about them as it heard petitions seeking a ban on the film Adipurush. The court directed the Information and Broadcasting Ministry and the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) to submit personal affidavits in response to pleas seeking the ban.

“Aap logo ko Quran, Bible ko bhi nahin touch karna chahiye. Main yeh clear kar dun ki kisi ek dharm ko mat touch kariey. Aap log kisi bhi dharm ke baare me galat tarah se mat dikhaye. Court ka koi religion nahin hai (You must not touch the Quran or the Bible. Let me clarify that you must not touch any religion. Please don't show religions in the wrong light. The court has no religion),” a bench of Justice Rajesh Singh Chauhan and Shree Prakash Singh said.

"Filmmakers only want to mint money," Justice Chauhan orally remarked before suggesting that even a short documentary on the Quran depicting the wrongs would cause a massive stir.

“If you make even a short documentary on the Quran depicting wrong things, you will see what can happen,” the court orally remarked.

The High Court said that something or the other is being done continuously to disturb social harmony. “The producer will have to appear in court. This is not a joke,” it said.

“Several characters of the Ramayana are worshipped and how have they been portrayed in the film...” the court said. “The film was released on June 16 and so far nothing has been done. What will happen in three days?” it asked.

One of the judges said many have told him that they were hurt by the film. “There are some who could not watch the full film. Those who believe in Lord Ram, Lakshman, Sita and Hanuman ji will not be able to watch the film,” the High Court said.

The court also reprimanded members of the CBFC, saying some “great people” certified a film where Ramayana has been shown like this.

“People's sentiments have been hurt. We believe what has been said in the petition - sentiments have been hurt,” the court said, adding, “If we keep quiet today, we know what will happen.”

"One film showed Lord Shiva running around with a Trishul (trident). He is being made fun of. Will this happen from now on?” one of the judges asked.

Recently, an amendment application was filed to include the film's dialogue writer, Manoj Muntashir Shukla, as a party in the case. The court allowed the application and issued a notice to Shukla.

The amendment application objected to the dialogues written by Shukla, terming them to be ridiculous, 'filthy', and 'against the glory of Ramayan yug'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link: https://www.indiatoday.in/law/high-...gh-court-in-adipurush-case-2399240-2023-06-28

“If you make even a short documentary on the Quran depicting wrong things, you will see what can happen,” the court orally remarked

Is this a Judge in India speaking?

“If you make even a short documentary on the Quran depicting wrong things, you will see what can happen,” the court orally remarked

Is this a Judge in India speaking?
Really poor coments from that judge. It's never been the case pre 2014.

But considering the general trend of bigotry being prevalent in all spheres of life, even judiciary is untouched.

This judge has set a very wrong precedent by uttering such words. He is basically speaking the same language as to what an average sanghi speaks.

This judge has set a very wrong precedent by uttering such words. He is basically speaking the same language as to what an average sanghi speaks.

Forget about what the judge said but what would really happen?

This is the same thing Andrew Tait said few months ago. That you could wear a T shirt saying Jesus is gay and walk out of the place safe anywhere in the world but do the same thing for the Islamic prophets and you wouldn’t even be safe in a. Heist Ian country.

This is nothing against Muslims but about how much they and also the sikhs revere their prophets.

Back