Driving in India/Pakistan

tmac4real

Local Club Star
Runs
Couple of things I noticed.

People honk if:

Some cuts them off (valid reason)
Someone is going too slowly (valid reason)
Someone is going too fast
They are bored (huh)
Cars are not moving. Its' red light why the hell are u honking.
They see a good looking girl.

They are four lanes but 6 lines of cars. This was the most hilarious part. They will actually measure the width between two lanes and see if they can squeeze through. Hilarious to watch.

Rickshaws turning their left turn signal on and then turning right. And then waving their hand out when they want to turn left.

Seriously driving in India is like a circus show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that circuses go out of town sometime. And that not everyone in a circus is a clown.

But there is little or no 'road rage' in Pakistan.

Basically, in the UK, if someone cuts in or out - its WW III

In Pak, its just normal - I did a fair bit of driving on my last visit to Pakistan in January.

Really enjoyed it.

Apart from approaching roundabouts - where the car on the round about is supposed to stop for you!

Oxy said:

In Pak, its just normal - I did a fair bit of driving on my last visit to Pakistan in January.

Really enjoyed it.

Apart from approaching roundabouts - where the car on the round about is supposed to stop for you!

I just came back from Pakistan recently and drove and found it a complete buzz to drive on Pakistani roads, your mind is constantly ticking and it is fun taking over Richshaws, people and the man on his donkey...

Coming back and driving in UK roads does not have that same buzz and is boring and labourous...

dblock said:
Pretty much says it all.

ahaa thats the video of the good ol' hyderabad. But trust me not every other road in hyderabad is without traffic signals. But you really need to have skills to drive in hyderabad.(or for tht matter any place in india):)

i think it'd be fun for a time, but damn if i hda to go through taht **** everyday. I mean it's "fun" b ut when your coming home and just want a relaxing no tension drive.

Oxy said:

Really enjoyed it.

Where in Pakistan did you drive bro?

In Karachi at least, it is non stop road rage!! everyone's in a hurry, and everyone has the right of way, and if anyone gets in the way then you get honked till you drop.

And yeah, if you cut someone, that person is gonna chase your ass down until he cuts you off too - no questions asked.

Boys_played_well said:
Where in Pakistan did you drive bro?

In Karachi at least, it is non stop road rage!! everyone's in a hurry, and everyone has the right of way, and if anyone gets in the way then you get honked till you drop.

And yeah, if you cut someone, that person is gonna chase your ass down until he cuts you off too - no questions asked.

On the spot dispute resolution is practiced in our part of the world. Minor accidents and disputes are resolved on the spot with the more powerful party (whichever vehicle has more macho driver and friends) forcing the other to fork out cash.

lmao driving in india is hard

you can drive or park anywhere the hell u want :)) :)) :))

the funny thing is that

if u dont have a license then u need to pay 50 rupees

so my cousin and I always used to go the other way

had a lot of fun time

now am stuck in amrika :(

I love driving in Pakistan! As long as I'm in the passenger seat! :D

TruSachFan said:
lmao driving in india is hard

you can drive or park anywhere the hell u want :)) :)) :))

the funny thing is that

if u dont have a license then u need to pay 50 rupees

so my cousin and I always used to go the other way

had a lot of fun time

now am stuck in amrika :(

hard and dangerous for that precise reason lol.

Everyday I drive 1 hour to my office (one side) in Bangalore. When I start from home, I tell myself that I will be cool and won't boil my blood as its no help. Never been able to do that till now. After 1 hour of drive through the city its difficult to be cool.

Why the hell does everyone use high beam lights at night on every road :facepalm: It is so stupid and dangerous.

Why the hell does everyone use high beam lights at night on every road :facepalm: It is so stupid and dangerous.

Are you stopping at red lights? :ashwin

This is always a big dilemma for me whenever I visit. I always stop at every light no matter how low the traffic is or what time it is but then I get badly honked from behind if it is a single lane road or get looks from passing drivers.

Are you stopping at red lights? :ashwin

This is always a big dilemma for me whenever I visit. I always stop at every light no matter how low the traffic is or what time it is but then I get badly honked from behind if it is a single lane road or get looks from passing drivers.

I ain't driving yet :ashwin

But I am obviously trying to get used to things so I keep my eyes on the road. It happens so often that you're stopped at a red light and a car comes up behind you with high beams, blinding you via the mirrors. But it's so much worse when you're just driving on the road and the cars going the opposite way all have high beams, blinding you. This is specially a huge problem on roads that aren't well-lit, you can't see anything for a split second. At all.

Why aren't people educated about these things :facepalm: It really seems like 90% of the car drivers in DHA are using high beams constantly.

Dude this has been a pet peeve of mine for years

In DHA it's especially prevalent.

The number 1 rule for driving in Delhi region, is never get into a fight. The animals who live here have a very short fuse and they wont hesitate in killing you for the most trivial of reasons. If someone is coming from the wrong side, or hits your vehicle just smile at them, even apologize with folded hands, and give them the first right of passage.

This is the reason behind so many accidents and deaths. Imagine you are driving 100 kph on a single two way road and just as you pass a vehicle travelling in opposite direction with high beams, you see a donkey cart right in front of you. I remember such incident near Bhawalnagar. Driver tried to save donkey cart, went off road and crashed. He died on the spot unfortunately.

Driving in Pakistan, particularly karachi, is a horrible experience. Little to no traffic and road rules.

The number 1 rule for driving in Delhi region, is never get into a fight. The animals who live here have a very short fuse and they wont hesitate in killing you for the most trivial of reasons. If someone is coming from the wrong side, or hits your vehicle just smile at them, even apologize with folded hands, and give them the first right of passage.

Thought you were in Bengaluru....

I ain't driving yet :ashwin

But I am obviously trying to get used to things so I keep my eyes on the road. It happens so often that you're stopped at a red light and a car comes up behind you with high beams, blinding you via the mirrors. But it's so much worse when you're just driving on the road and the cars going the opposite way all have high beams, blinding you. This is specially a huge problem on roads that aren't well-lit, you can't see anything for a split second. At all.

Why aren't people educated about these things :facepalm: It really seems like 90% of the car drivers in DHA are using high beams constantly.

Sincere advice.

Don't drive here for at least a month.Just observe.

You're right. Sadly, I'm not sure even smiling or folding hands will help you if you come across an angry lunatic. Some of them should be locked up by the police.

Driving in Karachi has its own charm though... #unpopularopinion

Used to only drive there after midnight with some friends to go to Clifton or Boat Basin.

Sincere advice.

Don't drive here for at least a month.Just observe.

Seen enough in 20 days :yk

It's not something I haven't seen previously but it just takes some getting used to. The high beams are really the biggest issue. Might need to wear some special glasses or something, Idk.

By the way, what is with the motorbikes? Why are there so many??? This is one thing that has really changed since 10 years back.

I have got into a few scraps driving in Delhi. The worst that happened was I ended up with a sore throat once from having screamed at a guy who hit me.

I have got into a few scraps driving in Delhi. The worst that happened was I ended up with a sore throat once from having screamed at a guy who hit me.

You are lucky. My car was hit once, then hit many times because I went to complain, and then I was slapped by that rongue and I didn't know what hit me. That day I was so angry that I gave a hard time to posters on TimePass.

It's a bit like a combination of the wacky races and the dodgems at the fairground.

You are lucky. My car was hit once, then hit many times because I went to complain, and then I was slapped by that rongue and I didn't know what hit me. That day I was so angry that I gave a hard time to posters on TimePass.

If you were assaulted and had witnesses, you should have filed a police report. Did you?

Driving in India is not for the faint hearted. I will never drive in India ever. I have lived too long away to attempt anything like that. I remember going back to my home city after 5 years and realised that I was afraid to walk on the road.

Seen enough in 20 days :yk

It's not something I haven't seen previously but it just takes some getting used to. The high beams are really the biggest issue. Might need to wear some special glasses or something, Idk.

By the way, what is with the motorbikes? Why are there so many??? This is one thing that has really changed since 10 years back.

More people are able to afford bikes now and they are relatively cheap.But these bikes are a nuisance tbh.

Driving in Pakistan

This is something I've been thinking to try for a while and I was reminded of it again after reading another thread on here. I didn't want to hijack that thread so created a separate one.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? I couldn't imagine driving in a city like Lahore or Karachi. It's just too damn hectic and wild.

Anyone who has driven in busy parts of Lahore and karachi, how did you find it?

This is something I've been thinking to try for a while and I was reminded of it again after reading another thread on here. I didn't want to hijack that thread so created a separate one.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? I couldn't imagine driving in a city like Lahore or Karachi. It's just too damn hectic and wild.

Driving in Karachi is harder than driving in other big cities because there are no rules.Everyone wants to take a shortcut.People go on the wrong way on one-way roads.Signals aren’t followed.No one waits for anyone to cross before going ahead.And when rush hour arrives,people overtake each other dangerously,are generally impatient and bikers pull up their bikes on the footpath.Not many people wear seatbelts and people usually talk on the phone while driving.

Kids here drive without a license(heck I just got mine made).The Traffic Police rarely stop anyone and when they do,most of the time it’s either unjust or they settle for bribes.Even if you show them proper documents,they say’Chai Paani karaado’.

Bear in mind,I am talking about Karachi.I have no idea how it is in other cities but from what I recall the situation was slightly better.

Driving in India is not for the faint hearted. I will never drive in India ever. I have lived too long away to attempt anything like that. I remember going back to my home city after 5 years and realised that I was afraid to walk on the road.

Same here. Just coming back home to Us after vacationing in Bangalore, Kerala and Madras and i’m pretty much nerve wracked from my experiences of being in the passenger side holding on to my life after seeing the utter chaos of what it takes to drive on the roads of Chennai, Bangalore and Kerala. The people there who drive have balls of steel and I salute them. There’s no such concept of two way driving following any rules whatsoever, you’re constantly honking which from what I gathered it serves as a validation that you are there or you will get hit and even the sidewalks are up for grabs and used for driving. There’s people walking the roads amidst the chaos along with random dogs and cows and they all don’t seem unfazed one bit.

It baffles my mind on why Indian government can’t see countries like Us or Europe and adopt proper rules and regulations, create better roads without pot holes everywhere, adopt-concept of proper signals and signs. It just baffles my mind.

Amidst the chaos in Bangalore one of the days traveling with my driver, we got hit once and my driver slapped the driver who hit him who’s only excuse was that we weren’t moving fast for him. During this session, where i’m scared witless and biting my nails the common bystanders all start to come in at random and block the road even more and cause more traffic and decide to give opinions and comments and I’m thinking to myself do they not have jobs that feel the need to intervene and block the traffic even more ?

We finally get the cops who shows up lazily like he was forced to get out of bed. After going in detail on what happened, he tells my driver and the the guy that hit him to sort it out amongst themselves. At this rate I’m pulling my hair on how corrupt and disfunctional this whole system is. In the Us when we get cops involved they would determine who is in the wrong, file a detailed report and after that we would get the insurance of both parties involved and take it from there on how to get damages if any repaired. If you can’t drive you’re insurance would get a toe truck asap on the spot and give you every much of assistance required whether it’s trying to to get you’re car to run or take you’re car to the nearest repair shop and giving you a loner to drive for the time required while you’re car is getting fixed. There proper checks and balances in place and the system works to you’re convenience.

Back in the Us now where I feel a whole lot safer on the road for sure. I do feel scared for my friends and family who drive in India every single day in and out and think that this is how it is with no hope in sight.

Last edited:

The best part is that no one stops at red signal until there is a chillar around. So every chowk becomes royal rumble of cars

I drove in Pakistan last year for around a month and at first I would totally freeze at main intersections but slowly I started driving like them :)

The best part is - they think you have lost your mind when you stop at red especially at night.

Since the galis are so narrow - hell breaks lose if an opposite car appears. And I had a pleasure of guiding my car into a naali of a super narrow street.

Last edited:
More people are able to afford bikes now and they are relatively cheap.But these bikes are a nuisance tbh.

Speaking of bikes,I just went out to get groceries and other stuff today.On my way back,some kid smashed into the left side of my car,right above the back tyre.He was speeding and was only around 14/15 years old,so still has a long time before getting a license.

A lot of kids drive without a license.Heck I used to do so myself when I was 16/17(i.e until April this year),but I never drove on main roads at rush hour.

Last edited:
Back