Droupadi Murmu Is India's New President

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
New Delhi: India got its first tribal President as Droupadi Murmu, the NDA's choice, scooped up over 50 per cent of the total vote value after just three rounds of counting. Opposition's Yashwant Sinha has conceded defeat. The oath ceremony is on July 25.

Here are the Top 10 points in this big story:

Droupadi Murmu has accumulated 53.13 per cent of total vote value after three rounds of counting. There is still one more round to go, in which votes of nine states and two Union Territories will be counted.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, along with senior members of his Cabinet and BJP chief JP Nadda, visited Ms Murmu to congratulate her. Celebrations broke out across the country, complete with sweets and colourful tribal dances.

"I heartily congratulate Srimati Droupadi Murmu on her victory in the Presidential Election 2022. I hope — indeed, every Indian hopes — that as the 15th President of India she functions as the Custodian of the Constitution without fear or favour. I join my fellow countrymen in extending best wishes to her," read a statement from Opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha.

The counting process started at 11 at the Parliament House and after preliminaries, the actual counting started at 1.30 pm. The trends became clear after the first round where Ms Murmu stood at 39 per cent.

The Delhi BJP started its celebrations with a roadshow from the party headquarters to Rajpath.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has already congratulated Ms Murmu.

"The first women tribal to become President is a momentous occasion and thanks to PM Modi for giving such unique gift. There is absolute euphoria in Assam, particularly in the tea gardens, people are very happy," he added.

Odisha's Rairangpur, the hometown of Ms Murmu, broke out in celebrations as the trend became clear.

The NDA's choice of Ms Murmu -- former Jharkhand Governor and a tribal woman from Odisha – drove a wedge through the opposition and brought on board non-aligned parties, such as Naveen Patnaik's Biju Janata Dal and Jaganmohan Reddy's YSR Congress. The move is also seen as a huge political message to the tribal community, which was lately seen as being disenchanted with the BJP.

The voting figures also indicate a considerable amount of cross-voting by opposition MPs and MLAs in Ms Murmu's favour. While parties have declared support for one candidate or the other, there is no penalty for cross-voting in the Presidential elections.

The winner of the Presidential election is not the candidate who gets only the most votes, but the one who crosses a quota. This quota is determined by adding votes polled for each candidate, dividing by two, and adding '1' to it. Basically, one more than 50 per cent. If someone does not cross this at first, subsequent preferences marked on the ballot paper come into play.

NDTV

Congratulations to Mrs. Murmu. It is a well deserved victory.

BJP has given India it's best presidents - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Ram Nath Kovind and now Droupadi Murmu. All of them come from humble and poor backgrounds, and worked their way up with sheer determination and dedication, without polishing any backsides or making compromises.

Someone told me she lost her husband, sons, mother or brother in a span of a few years. Whats happened? Just bad luck or does her family have some sort of a genetic health condition?

Someone told me she lost her husband, sons, mother or brother in a span of a few years. Whats happened? Just bad luck or does her family have some sort of a genetic health condition?

Her Husband died to Cardiac Arrest and her Son died in Road accident according to Google.

Hope this lady doesn't prove to be as subservient to feku as last incumbent was for last 5 years.

Why did it take so long to elect a President from the Tribals?

It's true. She lost both her sons, her husband, her mother and a brother in a span of 7 years. She has an adopted daughter now.

India’s first president from a marginalised tribal community, Droupadi Murmu, said on Monday after being sworn in that her election was an “achievement of every poor person in the country”.

Murmu’s elevation to India’s highest constitutional post has been seen as an important gesture of goodwill by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the communities that make up more than eight per cent of its 1.4 billion people ahead of a general election due by 2024.

Murmu, a former teacher and state minister from Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), is the second woman to hold the largely ceremonial role of president. She was born into a poor family of the Santhal tribe from the eastern state of Odisha.

Members of parliament and of state legislatures elected Murmu last week for a five-year term after she was nominated by the BJP.

“My election is proof of the fact that the poor in India can have dreams and fulfil them too,” Murmu, 64, said in a speech in parliament after taking the oath of office.

“It is a matter of great satisfaction for me that those who have been deprived for centuries and those who have been denied the benefits of development, those poor, downtrodden, backwards and tribals are seeing their reflection in me.”

Modi hailed Murmu’s swearing-in as a “watershed moment for India, especially for the poor, marginalised and downtrodden”.

India’s president acts as the supreme commander of the armed forces but the prime minister holds executive powers.

The president can play an important role during political crises, such as when a general election is inconclusive, by deciding which party is in the best position to form a government.

DAWN

Why did it take so long to elect a President from the Tribals?

Congress always favored their senior leaders who were loyal to Gandhi's for President's post.

BJP pulls out surprises by selecting leaders from low caste and untouchables. With Tribals getting educated now, their votes also count more. BJP is smart to be the first one to add Murmu to their resume.

Congrats 👏 👏, it was long overdue to have someone from the Tribal community in a top position... BJP has definitely helped reducing caste system and bring more unity...

Last edited:
Congratulations to Mrs. Murmu. It is a well deserved victory.

BJP has given India it's best presidents - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Ram Nath Kovind and now Droupadi Murmu. All of them come from humble and poor backgrounds, and worked their way up with sheer determination and dedication, without polishing any backsides or making compromises.

Isn’t it just a titular position? Like literally Modi’s tea boy may have more influence over the state’s affairs than the president.

Credit to BJP, while these might be rubber stamp posts but they matter , I have noticed time and again how people represented among certain communities can help with representation.

The way Congress-NCP-Left treated APJ Kalam was ridiculous to say the least.

Credit to BJP, while these might be rubber stamp posts but they matter , I have noticed time and again how people represented among certain communities can help with representation.

The way Congress-NCP-Left treated APJ Kalam was ridiculous to say the least.

Actually it's not as rubber stamp as people say it is. President has constitutional powers that can shake the judiciary and the parliament. If they choose to use them.

Actually it's not as rubber stamp as people say it is. President has constitutional powers that can shake the judiciary and the parliament. If they choose to use them.

Yes like Fakhrudin Ali Ahmed but most ruling parties are smart as to never to select anti-ruling president.

Yes like Fakhrudin Ali Ahmed but most ruling parties are smart as to never to select anti-ruling president.

I would like a free hand president. Someone who will tell the CJI, i am not swearing xyz judge or the parliament that i am witholding assent, so this bill can only be law when i leave office.

Koi to hoga aisa.

What did he do? Wasn't he the president who gave assent to emergency?

Afaik only Zail Singh ever witheld consent to a bill.

Isn’t it just a titular position? Like literally Modi’s tea boy may have more influence over the state’s affairs than the president.
This.

After the shameful Hathras rape and murder episode, everybody thought last incumbent will do something, at least say something but he never did anything despite he himself is dalit.

There have been so many atrocities against dalits in last 5 years. Did he do anything to stem the rot? I don't think so and hence there are news of dalits being tortured on daily basis.

So these all are just ceremonial positions. Just because they belong to certain downtrodden section of the society, doesn't mean they'll do anything for their upliftment.

For India's sake though, hope against hope that the new incumbent doesn't prove to be just the rubber stamp of establishment.

India Will Become "Viswaguru" In 25 Years, Says President Droupadi Murmu

Visakhapatnam: President Droupadi Murmu on Sunday exuded confidence that the country would become the 'viswaguru' by the time it celebrated the centenary of its Independence (in 2047) with its pride restored.

Addressing the Navy Day celebrations at the Ramakrishna Beach here, the President said India was called great because it was such a country with people full of energy.

"People of India have such energy be it in music, sports, culture, soldiers...everyone is marching ahead to take India forward. I am confident by the time India celebrates the centenary of its Independence, it will become the viswaguru and restore its pride," Presdient Murmu observed.

She, however, noted that there was a need to bridge certain gaps "so that every Indian can march forward with pride and step into the new and developed India".

The President said the Navy Day reminded one of the need to "rededicate ourselves to taking India forward, transiting through Amrit Kaal, towards a great future".

Noting that India was an inherently maritime nation with sea on three sides and high mountains on the fourth, the President said it was but natural that the oceans would play a vital role in the country's growth and prosperity.

"The Navy has a responsibility of ensuring an umbrella of security for India's national maritime interest. It remains firm in its perseverance, resolute in its commitment, futuristic in capability development and outcome-oriented in action, as was evident from this year's Navy Day theme 'Combat-ready, Credible, Cohesive and Future-Proof'," she observed.

"Indian Navy is driven by Atmanirbhar, has a sustained reach and presence across the oceans and is propelled by innovation. As the Supreme Commander, I am confident that Indian Navy will continue to grow from strength to strength, aligned with a vision for new and developed India," the President added.

Calling Visakhapatnam "the jewel of the east coast", Droupadi Murmu said it emerged as an important hub, paving way for India's secure future.

The President, who launched several developmental projects of the Union Ministries of Road Transport and Highways, Defence and Tribal Affairs, said they would contribute to India's holistic and inclusive development.

The National Open Air Range in Kurnool district, established by Defence Research and Development Laboratory, would serve India's defence preparedness and be an asset to the nation.

Highways development would decrease congestion and increase road safety, reduce travel time and facilitate faster movement of people and goods in the State, she said.

The President said the Ekalavya Model Residential Schools, four of which she inaugurated on Sunday, were playing a major role in providing quality education to tribal students.

"The EMRS at Buttayagudem, Chintoor, Rajavommangi and Gumma Lakshmipuram in different districts of AP will go a long way in educating tribal children and help in their all-round development through academics and extra-curricular activities. We must ensure that every child in India gets education, no matter where and in what condition they reside," President Murmu said.

"Education must be accessible to each and everyone," she added.

After attending the Navy Day Reception at Anantagiri, the President flew to temple-town Tirupati.

After an overnight stay on Tirumala Hills, Murmu would offer worship to Venkateswara Swamy at the holy hill shrine early Monday.

NDTV

Back