DRS doubts raised as New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson given out v Pakistan

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...-skipper-kane-williamson-given-out-v-pakistan

It only took a couple of days for the Decision Review System to overtake mints as cricket's most debated topic.

The dismissal of New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson in the first session of the second test against Pakistan in Hamilton on Friday again put the fallibility - or lack of certainty - of the video review process used by the umpires under the spotlight.

The New Zealand captain was on 13 when he initially survived a caught-behind appeal off Sohail Khan that umpire Simon Fry rejected.

Pakistan asked for DRS to be implemented and after multiple views and listens, TV umpire Ian Gould ruled that Williamson was out, detecting an inside edge off his bat that was caught by Pakistan wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed.

TV replays did show that the ball struck Williamson on the underside of his right elbow. There were sounds picked up, but the Snickometer that registers noise through directional microphones appeared to show the only major noise came when the ball had hit Williamson's arm after passing the bat.

With the replays piled together, there didn't appear to be conclusive evidence to rule that the ball had clipped the inside edge of Williamson's bat. Yet the original not out decision was overturned by Gould and a furious Williamson had to walk off.

First used by the ICC in 2009, the DRS is designed to aid umpires in getting more decisions correct. Teams are allowed a restricted number of challenges to the original umpiring decision, which Pakistan did in this instance.

i thought it was clear. there was movement on snicko as ball passed the bat before it hit the arm.

Meh, he should have been caught earlier anyway, he wasn't looking great out there and probably would have been out soon after anyway.

Issue is not with DRS but with the reading of the TV umpire. Like the 3 light system for hawkeye and LBW reviews, ICC should have something similar to edges - snicko/ultra edge and hotspot only if both pick an edge or otherwise, should thefield umpire's decision be changed , else stick to umpire's call

The spike was a bit after it crossed the bat as it was grazing his forearm

So why was the decision overturned ?? Or was he given out initially ??

I missed it, can someone explain it how it occurred ??

I thought he was out - clear sound and deviation from the bat and then the elbow.

The NZ commentators had no problem with the decision as they also thought he nicked it.

Even with the drs the errors are made by the umpire rather than the system. The heat tech is actually to me the best system for snicks but it is very expensive so few boards can afford it.

He nicked it.

You could see the ball deviate when they showed the front angle.

I'm pretty sure it it nicked the bat before it hit the elbow. Sniko also showed a deviation before it hit the elbow.

Not sure what the fuss is about tbh.

I don't think it was conclusive at all personally, especially since the on field call was not out.

It didn't look conclusive to me either. The spike came right around the back end of the bat and hard to say at what point exactly without looking at individual frames.

Hitting the elbow alone would not have caused the profile of the spike as was shown on the snickometer. The early part of the profile was definitely that of the ball hitting wood.

Back