Kane Williamson becomes New Zealand's record Test run-scorer

Firebat

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Kane Williamson became New Zealand's highest run-scorer in Test cricket on the fourth morning of the second Test against England in Wellington.

The 32-year-old clipped James Anderson to the mid-wicket boundary in the first over of the day to go past Ross Taylor's previous best of 7,683 runs.

Williamson is playing his 92nd Test, having made his debut in 2010.

He led New Zealand when they won the inaugural World Test Championship in 2021, beating India in the final.

Overall he captained in 40 Tests, having been appointed in 2016.

Williamson stood down in December of last year, but remains skipper of the one-day and T20 sides.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/64781023

Martin Crowe was so pleasing on the eye.Plus he was the Lone Ranger in the team. Akram rated Crowe very highly also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well deserved. Is he better than Martin Crowe?

In terms of achievements, yes. In terms of talent no. Crowe played in a much tougher era for batting, played great innings in tough countries, including a hundred in WI in the 80's, a hundred v W&W in 1990, mountains of runs in Australia and England etc etc. If his career hadn't been curtailed by his knee injury in 1993 he would be talked about in the same breath as guys like Miandad and Border.

Williamson is a damn fine player, I think he's been unfairly talked down a lot in the past couple of years as the gap has widened between him and Smith/Root in the fab four. He was truly great between about 2013 and 2019, but in his later years his technical weaknesses have been exposed a bit, especially away from home.

ane Williamson re-affirmed his status as the best batter New Zealand has ever produced when he overtook long-time teammate Ross Taylor to become the Kiwis' leading Test run-scorer of all-time.

New Zealand v England, Scorecard
Williamson went past Taylor's total of 7683 Test runs in trademark style early on the fourth day of New Zealand's ongoing second Test against England in Wellington as the Black Caps attempt to work their way back into the contest.

cHl33kR.png

The stylish right-hander worked a James Anderson delivery off his toes and to the boundary to better Taylor's mark and in the process keep New Zealand's hopes alive of salvaging something from the Test.

New Zealand were forced to follow on after being dismissed for just 209 in their first innings, but things appear rosier for the hosts in their second innings with Williamson and a host of their top-order batters scoring more freely.

Williamson was eventually out later in the day for 132, but not before he had pulled New Zealand back into the contest ahead of what looms as a thrilling final day in Wellington.

With Williamson overtaking Taylor to become New Zealand's leading run-scorer in Tests, it now means the 32-year-old has by far the best record of any Kiwi batter in the history of the men's game.

Williamson has 26 Test centuries to his name - seven more than any other player - and his Test average that is north of 53 is greater than the top 20 batters on New Zealand’s all-time leading Test run-scorer list.

The right-hander broke the record in his 92nd Test, while Williamson has five double-hundreds in the format including a highest score of 251 which came against the West Indies in 2020.

ICC

Kane Williamson called it "special" after surpassing Ross Taylor on Monday to become New Zealand's highest Test run-scorer. Williamson's century steered New Zealand to 483 all out in their second innings and set England a target of 258 runs to win the second Test in Wellington. The 32-year-old former captain earned two standing ovations at the Basin Reserve during a superb innings which brought up his 26th Test century. He raised his bat fleetingly after reaching 29 not out early on Monday to pass Taylor's record of 7,683 runs.

Williamson left the field to more applause when he fell for 132 to part-time seam bowler Harry Brook.

Williamson was typically modest about his place in the history books.

"It's not something I have thought a whole lot about but it's an honour if you look at the names on that list," he said.

"I admired a lot of them growing up, then played alongside some of them, but it's special to be in that company."

Stephen Fleming, also a former Black Caps captain, sits third on 7,172 runs.

Williamson reached the milestone in his 92nd Test and 161st innings, considerably quicker than Taylor's 112 Tests and 196 visits to the crease.

Now-retired Taylor was quick to compliment Williamson.

"Congratulations, Kane," Taylor posted on Twitter. "This achievement is a testament to your hard work and dedication to Test cricket, of which I was privy to for a number of years."

Williamson, a right-handed batsman, started the two-match England series needing only 39 runs to clinch the record.

But he totalled only 10 runs through his first three innings, forming part of a New Zealand top order that struggled against the English seam attack.

He sits 35th on the all-time Test leaderboard, which is topped by Indian great Sachin Tendulkar with 15,921 runs.

NDTV

Not a huge pool and lots more cricket played but he took NZ to the !ace and his performance never dropped, got better

The century in the second innings has to be the greatest innings of his career.

And while he might not be on Smith, Kohli or Root's level, he is right up there among the best. Top-quality batter. And proved exactly why in this match.

In terms of achievements, yes. In terms of talent no. Crowe played in a much tougher era for batting, played great innings in tough countries, including a hundred in WI in the 80's, a hundred v W&W in 1990, mountains of runs in Australia and England etc etc. If his career hadn't been curtailed by his knee injury in 1993 he would be talked about in the same breath as guys like Miandad and Border.

Williamson is a damn fine player, I think he's been unfairly talked down a lot in the past couple of years as the gap has widened between him and Smith/Root in the fab four. He was truly great between about 2013 and 2019, but in his later years his technical weaknesses have been exposed a bit, especially away from home.

At end of career, we look at achievement and individual performances, not talent. While I don't really consider him as good a batsman as 53 average suggests, he is definitely a New Zealand great and a notch ahead of the likes of Warner or Pujara. I would put him in the Kohli bracket in Test cricket. The averages may suggest otherwise but Kohli to his note has performances in Australia and South Africa which Kane lacks.

He's been in rehab for 6 months with an injury.
And what does he do on his return? Scores a 50

1697209350783.png

Lovely innings.

Looked in total control.

Just one concern - hurt his thumb and had to retire hurt.

Fracture confirmed for Williamson | Blundell called in as cover

An X-ray has confirmed an undisplaced fracture to Kane Williamson’s left thumb, after he was struck by a throw while running between the wickets in Friday’s match against Bangladesh in Chennai.

Williamson will remain in the BLACKCAPS ICC Cricket World Cup squad with the aim of being available for the back end of pool play next month.

I think Kane is out for good now. His injury will keep him out of the game longer then we expected.

I think Kane is out for good now. His injury will keep him out of the game longer then we expected.

This is bad luck for KW. I mean what are the chances of being hit by a throw on the most unprotected part of your thumb!

KnZBAeK.jpg

This is bad luck for KW. I mean what are the chances of being hit by a throw on the most unprotected part of your thumb!
That spot was the only part of the hand that goes unprotected, Maybe another innovation that can be done in the gloves

That really sucks fopr him. He just came back from injury after 6 months just to get his tumb fractured on his return where he scored 78*

Tbh, the way NZ is playing and the form the Kiwi batters are in, Kane Williamson will not be needed.

Kiwi are happy without Williamson as they have lots of inform batsman in the team

Kane Williamson scored another century today against Bangladesh in the 1st Test match of the series. This is his fourth 100+ score in 4 consecutive tests. Brilliant run of form for Kane. He was gone for 104 runs as New Zealand scored 266/8 as day 2 ends.

Kane Williamson has equaled Virat Kohli's 29 Test centuries during 1st Test against Bangladesh

Most Test Centuries in 2023

Kane Williamson
4 centuries, 10 innings
Usman Khawaja
3 centuries, 20 innings
Steve Smith
3 centuries, 20 innings

Back