Education Reform Announced in Pakistan

tahaqureshi

T20I Debutant
Runs
Just read this article and I thought I'd share it because personally, I was really very pleased to know that something if finally being done (even though it's still in the very early stages, but at least the concerned authorities are thinking in the right direction).

Public and private institutions to teach identical curriculum: 7 percent of GDP for education till 2015

* Education minister unveils ‘National Education Policy 2009’
* Grades XI, XII to be merged with school education
* Policy envisages 85 percent literacy rate by 2015

By Tahir Niaz

ISLAMABAD: The government announced on Wednesday the ‘National Education Policy (NEP) 2009’, under which budgetary allocations for the sector have been increased to 7 percent of the GDP until 2015 and a common curriculum would be applicable to both private and public institutions.

The new policy – announced by the education minister – merges grades XI and XII with school education. It also says that every child – on admission in grade 1 – would be allotted a unique ID, which would remain associated with the student throughout his/her academic career.

The education minister said a new concept of residential schools would be introduced on the pattern of ‘Danish schools’ in Punjab. Model schools for boys and girls would initially be established in each province, and the project would then be launched at the district level.

According to the new policy, the official age for primary education has been set at six-to-10 years; all primary schools would be upgraded to middle level where feasible; plans to improve basic facilities at schools would be prepared; and high priority would be given to reducing dropout rates.

Addressing a press conference, federal Education Minister Mir Hazar Bijarani said a cabinet meeting unanimously approved the new policy. He said that education goals related to the Dakar EFA Goals and Millennium Development Goals would be achieved by 2015. He said, “Free education will include all education-related costs.”

Bijarani said the literacy rate in the country would stand at 80-85 percent by 2015. He said enrolment in higher education would be increased from 4.7 percent to 10 percent by 2015.

He said madrassas would be streamlined by introducing contemporary studies. He told the media that the Inter-Provincial Education Ministers Forum would be institutionalised, with the legal mandate to oversee the implementation of the policy.

Highlights:

* Each student to be given unique ID

* Concept of residential schools to be introduced on pattern of ‘Danish schools’ in Punjab

* Official age for primary education set at 6-to-10 years

* Enrolment in higher education to be increased from 4.7 percent to 10 percent by 2015, 15 percent by 2020

* Free education to include all education-related costs

* Plans to improve basic facilities at schools to be prepared

* All primary schools across country to be upgraded to middle level where feasible

* High priority to be given to reducing dropout rates

* Model schools for boys and girls to be established in each province

Link

"* Enrolment in higher education to be increased from 4.7 percent to 10 percent by 2015, 15 percent by 2020"

Key point here ... this is where Pakistan really needs to catch up !

Sounds great in theory - now if only they will go through with the promises.

Mashallah! What a brilliant Ramadan gift!

I agree with every single point...

kashif77 said:
"* Enrolment in higher education to be increased from 4.7 percent to 10 percent by 2015, 15 percent by 2020"

Key point here ... this is where Pakistan really needs to catch up !
having seen the country at close proximity I think the biggest flaw in the Pakistani model and infact that of most developing countries is lack of investment in science and technology.. This problem was being resolved by Dr. AtaurRehman but sadly politics got in the way even though you could not meet a more apolitical person.. If followed though and a literacy rate of 85% is achieved by 2015 the country would be different beast all together

Alhamdulilah!
So glad to see that something is finally being done(although its on early stages)

Atleast they thought the right way for once!:D
InshaAllah,this will work!:19:

I went to school in Pakistan for quite some time.

It was one of the top private schools in Pakistan (at the time at least). We're not talking about going to school with bureaucrats sons etc. My family aren't exactly rich but seeing as my dad earns pounds he got me in.

Anyway the fees for this school must have been 4-5 grand a month. In rupees that is. Also bear in mind I'm talking about 6-7 years ago.

Anyway, we had our O-levels coming up and our chemistry teacher left with more than half the course still left to cover. We never got a replacement. Apparently it was because we were to close to examination time.

Also I remember our school moved into a new building. We were promised a swimming pool, tennis courts, football courts etc.

Turned out the ''swimming pool'' was a large fountain in the middle of one of the grounds. The tennis court had no nets and it served as the football pitch as well. Add to that the fact that the school was next to a graveyard with no separated boundary. So basically we had a graveyard at school.

No I'd rather not mention the name of this school but if any school needs educational reform than its certainly that one.

Last edited:
Sorry but won't mean anything..the first thing Pakistan has to decide is what language to teach in..is it Urdu or English?? If it's English then all schools must teach English with no emphasis on Urdu and viceversa..the best way to get your people literate quickly is to teach in the national language!!! look at japan china Spain Germany France Korea Saudi Italy etc..this obsession with English must end or Urdu must be replaced there is only miniscule middle ground..

Havin Urdu as the main language will increase the literacy rate overnight.I propose:

1) making Urdu the main language of Pakistan

2) keep English as a secondary language, everyone must be proficient I'm both languages by class 10

3) increase the study of Chinese, Arabic and Persian

4) translate all English books into Urdu and establish a translation industry! Scour the globe for everything and translate translate translate!!

5) revamp the curriculum

6) call it the Pakistani baccalurate

7) bring all three education divisions under the pak bacc

8) get the bacc recognized internationally so our scholars can get skills abroad without having to repeat masters or bsc's

all the above is going to do is add another tier of useless institutions!!

moiz said:
Mashallah! What a brilliant Ramadan gift!

I agree with every single point...

Dont be so happy.
for last 60 years we have been listening brilliant policies, but none of them has ever been implemented.

the Great Khan said:
Sorry but won't mean anything..the first thing Pakistan has to decide is what language to teach in..is it Urdu or English?? If it's English then all schools must teach English with no emphasis on Urdu and viceversa..the best way to get your people literate quickly is to teach in the national language!!! look at japan china Spain Germany France Korea Saudi Italy etc..this obsession with English must end or Urdu must be replaced there is only miniscule middle ground..

Havin Urdu as the main language will increase the literacy rate overnight.I propose:

1) making Urdu the main language of Pakistan

2) keep English as a secondary language, everyone must be proficient I'm both languages by class 10

3) increase the study of Chinese, Arabic and Persian

4) translate all English books into Urdu and establish a translation industry! Scour the globe for everything and translate translate translate!!

5) revamp the curriculum

6) call it the Pakistani baccalurate

7) bring all three education divisions under the pak bacc

8) get the bacc recognized internationally so our scholars can get skills abroad without having to repeat masters or bsc's

all the above is going to do is add another tier of useless institutions!!

excellent points.

ALL the confusions and speculations must end.

1. Urdu must be our medium of instruction. without urdu, we cant understand our history, and our values.there is no compromise on that.

2. English must be secondary language, being taught from day 1 of education.

3. Arabic, we need to learn & speak arabic at our secondary levels.

Last edited:
I have to say that despite being more proficient at English I think Urdu is a great language.

One of the politest language's in the world.

Golden arm said:
excellent points.

ALL the confusions and speculations must end.

1. Urdu must be our medium of instruction. without urdu, we cant understand our history, and our values.there is no compromise on that.

2. English must be secondary language, being taught from day 1 of education.

3. Arabic, we need to learn & speak arabic at our secondary levels.
Why learn to speak Arabic?
I spent many years working in Saudi and other Mid.East countries. I don't speak Arabic. Most of the Arabs are learning English anyway.
So if the Pakistani's can speak English, and the Arabs can speak English, there is no communication problem when dealing with each other.

Javelin said:
Why learn to speak Arabic?

Why not? In Europe schooling, learning at least one other European language is part of curriculum. For what purpose they learn it?
English being global language is learned anyway by many well educated Europeans.

The tGK's idea is very good. Along side couple of global languages, there should be regional (continent level) languages courses in curriculum.

I was watching Talat Hussain show about education. There were two there who looked like they were with education department (a woman and man). Woman was okay but was dodging some answers and brining other things, things like when the building is fine, students are there what can be done about the syllabus and teaching and she would sometimes take it straight to a village school where there is no water or fans instead of answering the question straight about how to fix a government school with no other problems in big city. The man is Standing Committee on Education (Chairman).

The subject was at curriculum and creativity and the man said the kids don't even know Pakistani anthem. Talat Hussain asked him so if I don't know the anthem I am not liteate? The answer came as a question "if someone doesn't know namaz is he a muslim". Well you have such politicians and people running the system and the shows on TV that sell (I see these things often in the talk shows - divert the question instead of accepting the failure or saying we are trying). Talat Hussain asked him again and changed the topic. (he could have said you can say if he is Pakistani or not and nothing to do with literacy)

Part 1
http://pakistanherald.com/Program/Live-With-Talat-October-06-2009-Talat-Hussain-1878
Part 2
http://pakistanherald.com/Program/Live-With-Talat-October-07-2009-Talat-Hussain-1884

[MENTION=129948]Bilal7[/MENTION]
Some large maddaris specially in big cities have incorporated science and other subjects in their curriculum and as a result some students have joined other professions but they are a very small fraction and are outliers.

Also, most of the private citizens do not decide for themselves that they want to become an aalim. They are forced to join madaris at a very young age.

Imo, a single standardized educational curriculum (for initial 12 years of education) approved by the government should be implemented like rest of the world. Basics of Islam and study of Quran (with the option of hifz-ul-Quran) should be a part of this curriculum.
Madaris must be converted into schools. This O/A levels Cambridge education needs to go as well. Cadet colleges should only induct students aged above 15-16.
Renowned madaris should serve as Islamic universities where students who choose to become aalim can get their degrees and their curriculum must be closely monitored by the government to prevent risk of sectarianism and extremism.

I am sure IK has this in mind and these basic reforms are necessary if we want to progress as a modern Islamic state which was envisioned by Quaid and Iqbal.

Back