England (181/2) defeat West Indies (180/4) by 8 wickets in the Super 8 game of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
England's T20 World Cup campaign gains momentum as they face West Indies in St Lucia, seeking to join their opponents as three-time champions. West Indies, led by Rovman Powell and coached by Daren Sammy, are on an eight-match winning streak, showcasing their depth and versatility with multiple match-winners.

England, meanwhile, aim to overcome their group stage struggles and capitalize on their narrow escape from early elimination. With a strong batting lineup and a cohesive team spirit, West Indies pose a significant challenge for England, who must improve their middle-order performance and capitalize on their top-order form. This crucial match will test England's mettle and determine their readiness to contend for the title.

Squads:

England
Squad: Philip Salt, Jos Buttler(w/c), Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Chris Jordan, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Reece Topley, Mark Wood, Ben Duckett, Will Jacks, Tom Hartley

West Indies Squad: Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Shai Hope, Rovman Powell(c), Andre Russell, Sherfane Rutherford, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Gudakesh Motie, Obed McCoy, Roston Chase, Romario Shepherd, Shimron Hetmyer, Shamar Joseph

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Windies generally play well against England. Hoping for a great game.

Two sides with great batting firepower.

The average run rate across the three 2024 T20WC games in Gros Islet was 9.03rpo.

Seven of the eight first innings scores of over 180 runs in Gros Islet T20Is were successfully defended, whilst 69% of the remaining 13 were chased down.

The West Indies struck the most sixes in all four of their games at this T20WC, as well as the highest opening partnership and most powerplay runs in three.

England have a 3-0 record in T20Is played in Saint Lucia, two of which were neutral matches at the 2010 World Cup whilst one came against the West Indies in March 2019 (four wickets).

Jofra Archer is the only player of either squad to return the best bowling figures (wickets followed by economy rate) for their team twice at this tournament.

Rovman Powell averages just 17.67 (159/9) at 9.83rpo bowled in all T20s by England's last bowling attack.

Phil Salt averages 45.4 at a scoring rate of 9.80rpo in all T20s against the previous set of West Indies bowlers.

Jos Buttler's T20 numbers against those five bowlers are even better: 264 runs at an average of 52.8 and scoring rate of 9.78rpo.

Alzarri Joseph has never dismissed Buttler in a T20, going for 77 runs from his 35 balls bowled to the England captain.

England have won the toss and have opted to field

West Indies
(Playing XI): Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Roston Chase, Rovman Powell(c), Sherfane Rutherford, Andre Russell, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Gudakesh Motie

England (Playing XI): Philip Salt, Jos Buttler(w/c), Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley

England have won the toss and have opted to field

West Indies
(Playing XI): Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Roston Chase, Rovman Powell(c), Sherfane Rutherford, Andre Russell, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Gudakesh Motie

England (Playing XI): Philip Salt, Jos Buttler(w/c), Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley

Advantage England already.

Wanna see England win here but WI have a very strong batting line up plus their spinners akeil Hussain and motie are pretty good and accurate. Should be a crackigame though

WIs spinners akeil and motie will be key during the eng chase.. 190 plus will be a good chase.

Typical West Indian innings against big teams. THey look like hitting every ball. But run rate is still very less

Poor from Buttler. Not sure why he gave Livingstone an over at such a crucial stage

Buttler just proved once again what a dumbass captain he is. Amazingly stupid. He has about 6 main bowlers. He is using this guy

Why butler why ? There was no need for livingstone at all. Adil rashid had 1 over, moeen has 2 left.

Like this from butler now- having a skip in the 17th over for adil Rashid against russell. But the Livingstone over was a mistake

Pooran's strike rate varies according to the team he plays against

wewewwwww.jpg

Akeal Hosein looks average but somehow hard to get hold of. Amazing how he is bowling 3 overs regularly in PP.

Rest of WI seamers all look avg. Cant see them defending 180 against Eng unless they collapse badly

Somehow England team looks scary and one trick pony at the same time. and surprisngly they seem to have a long tail now.
Pakistan team with avg SR of 20 higher in comparison

Johny Bairstow has turned the whole game with his blistering knock so far. He is at 42 off just 19 balls atm.

41 balls 31 needed to win.

That was some pummelling. WI's only weapon is spin. If you don't lose wickets to them this is full of pie chuckers

This is the issue with relying on Leagues cricket. A few players are not able to uplift and translate their league performances into international one.

Pooran was the culprit for WI today.. dropped 2 catches and missed a runout.

If pooran is going to struggle against extreme pace what chances he will have against Rabada and Nortje?

What a win for the defending champs. Phil salt and Bairstow partnership was the too good.

5XSH10V.png

It is going to be a shoot out between Australia and England looking at the teams. Windies bowling is club side bowling if you deal with Akeal hosein and Moti to some extent. That Romario is more a 3rd change back up bowler.

Also.how can you end up with 180 batting firat for only 4 wickets? WI didn't accelerate well today at all. Eng the fave along with Aus to win this WC I would say. But this is a tough group. Each game feels like a KO in this group.

WHen it is west indies, the inner beast of Phil Salt wakes up.

Phil Salt vs West Indies in T20Is
Inns: 9
Runs: 478
Avg: 68.28
SR: 186.71
50s/100s: 2/2
4s/6s: 34/32
Salt has hit a four or a six in roughly every four balls in T20Is against West Indies.

McCoy ahead of Romario worked great for them against Afghans.

Not sure why they went back to this. Unlike India who need the extra batter, Windies need the extra bowler.

Also.how can you end up with 180 batting firat for only 4 wickets? WI didn't accelerate well today at all. Eng the fave along with Aus to win this WC I would say. But this is a tough group. Each game feels like a KO in this group.
because of Archer. he was super fast and accurate .. derailed wi innings with pooran’s dismissal. and Sam curran followed up with equally good over. t20 is funny game. two good overs on either side of batting or bowling.. you can crawl back

The West Indies and England play their first match off the ICC Men's T20 World Cup Super Eight stage, with action at the Daren Sammy Cricket Ground in Saint Lucia.

The Windies enter this phase of the tournament in red hot form, coming off a scorching display against Afghanistan. The co-hosts are still unbeaten.

TOSS

England won the toss and elected to send hosts the West Indies into bat.

The hosts made a splendid start in Saint Lucia, as Brandon King and Johnson Charles opened with authority in the Powerplay.

The pair had the Windies flying at 40/0 early in the fifth over, before they were hit with a cruel blow. Attempting to drive a Sam Curran ball down the ground, King picked up what appeared to be a groin complaint and had to retire hurt.

The in-form Nicholas Pooran joined Charles at the crease, pushing the to 54 runs at the six-over mark – a solid return from the Powerplay.

Pooran smoked Mark Wood for a long leg side six to start the eighth over, but England managed to tighten the screws through to drinks from then on. That was the final boundary before the mid-innings break.

The West Indies knocked 82 runs in the first 10 overs, having lost no wickets.

Charles broke the mini boundary drought straight after drinks, clearing the long on rope off a fuller-length Adil Rahid delivery. But next over, Charles (38 off 34) had to go as Moeen Ali produced the breakthrough scalp – England’s first of the innings.

Captain Rovman Powell arrived and dished out some revenge to end the 12th over, crunching a maximum over Ali’s head.

Powell and Pooran hit the gas pedal in an eventful phase of play, before Liam Livingstone picked up the crucial wicket of Powell (36 off 17) to end over 15.

The English found some fight in the final five overs. Jofra Archer found the edge of Pooran’s bat, with the heavy hitter removed for 36 off 32.

Sherfane Rutherford (28* off 15) dominated strike in the last few overs to guide the Windies to 180/4. Having produced 51 dot balls in the field, England surely felt confident, as their run chase commenced.

Openers Phil Salt and Jos Buttler laid strong foundations, cracking seven boundaries in the Powerplay that included one of the biggest sixes of the tournament so far, out of the middle of Salt’s bat.

England pushed to 58 for no loss, marginally ahead of the Windies efforts at the six-over mark.

Roston Chase stepped up to finally remove one of England’s openers, trapping Buttler (25 off 22) out LBW in the eighth over.

Ali arrived at the crease and swept two ninth over fours, including an innovative reverse sweep off the back of his bat.

At the midpoint of the innings, England was 83/1 in a near identical scenario to the Windies.

Drinks favoured the hosts, as a shorter delivery first ball after the break created the undoing of Ali, holing out to Charles at deep midwicket.

Jonny Bairstow took England past three figures (101/2) at the end of the 12th over, with the English remaining neck and neck with the West Indies’ corresponding run rate.

But Bairstow arrested control for England, with a flurry of boundaries in overs 13 and 14 bringing the required run rate down. And then a hattrick of boundaries in the 15th over, off Akeal Hosein, silenced the crowd in Saint Lucia.

Salt returned the action, bringing up a 38-ball 50 with four runs to start an expensive 16th over. Salt registered a boundary on all six balls of the Romario Shepherd over, with 30 runs coming off it.

And Bairstow completed a commanding win for England midway through the 18th over.

The English put one foot into the knockout stage of the tournament.

ICC

because of Archer. he was super fast and accurate .. derailed wi innings with pooran’s dismissal. and Sam curran followed up with equally good over. t20 is funny game. two good overs on either side of batting or bowling.. you can crawl back
Yea thats what happened.. plus adil Rashid howled tight as well. My issue was WI had 9 wickets left even in the 15th over.. they should have gone harder much earlier by the 9th over or so.

WI fans are livid that they dropped McCoy and picked Romario just because he can bat.
As they should be. They are playing too many batters. They have the exact opposite issue that India has. They need that left arm angle and skill of Obed.

We saw how effective English left armers were today.

Pooran dropping those catches proved costly in the end. West Indies also did not go all guns blazing in the last few over so they end up with a par score.

Lol hahahah now people are giving england credit. Before this match they were making fun of England. Hahahah

2022 semi final wounds are still not healed I guess.LOL

Phil Salt (England player) post-match Press Conference - 19th June 2024

[Reporter:]

Well played. How much fun was that?

[Phil Salt:]

It wasn't much fun in the middle. No, that was great fun. To come here against a very strong side who are riding that wave of momentum in their own conditions and with their home crowd. To play in an innings like that alongside Johnny and come away with a win is a great feeling.

Did it feel like that was the best cricket you've played as a team in quite a while, given the crowd, strong opposition, a lot of riding on it at the start of the Super 8s? Did it feel like everything came together?

Yeah, it did have that sort of a feeling about it, I wouldn't say completely. It's been a very stop start for us. We had a hiccup against Australia and then, the rain out against Scotland. It's been a real topsy-turvy start. It didn't really feel like we played much cricket up to this point. But, yes, I feel like in tournament cricket, you need a bit of confidence and momentum at the right time and you need it to keep building. So, to get a win against the hosts tonight gives us the first push in that direction.

And looking back to when you were last here, there's something about this West Indies team, isn't there, that brings out the best in you?

Yeah, Darren said that to me. I don't know. I don't know what it is, maybe I match up well against him. Maybe you could probably argue, I'm slightly more conservative in the power play against him. But I'm not sure what it is, but I'm just pleased to come away with a win.

You mentioned on TV that Johnny had a speaking to you when that tough bit in the middle, what was he saying to you out there?

It was more about me batting through, once Jos got out, I was always going to sort of play the anchor role, especially when we sent Moeen as the lefty. I think it was about me just batting through that period and waiting for my time to strike and obviously Shepard coming back from that end was my time to pull the trigger.

Did you decide in advance that was the over to go or what made it the over?

In the back of my head I did, I didn't vocalise it to Johnny, I didn't want him to say no - but yeah, I feel like they've got such good spinners and they've bowled really well through the middle I feel like the first sniff I got, I had to sort of take that chance.

Phil, could you tell us a bit about the work you've done with Pollard on how to approach a run chase?

Yeah, so that's probably - Pollard's brought a lot to the group but I'd say that's the most valuable thing I've taken so far is constructing that run chase. We've spoken a lot about taking eights from one side to take twelves from the other and that's 200. So, it's really simple, it sounds so simple to say it but putting that into action there wasn't really a point in time out there I knew I was I slowed down I knew I hadn't got much strike but I knew that If I just get through that period, then we're going to be in a good position and I can have a good dip, a good calculated risk at the seamers.

What was going on with Puran?

Not much, he just kept talking as Motie was running in. I'm not sure if it was some sort of mind game, but he was doing it very well. I just asked him to stop, nothing big at all.

And just sort of more generally, is that an innings you could see yourself having played a few years ago, because it felt like relatively recent for you to sort of have that approach of sucking it up through the middle and taking your medicine?

Yeah, it's probably one of those things that the more you play, the more you feel secure in yourself and your game. It's probably one of those things that you feel more confident to do. I feel like if you're new to the side, you're thinking, oh, what if I get out now? I don't want to get out now. But I feel once you're a little bit more settled, you can sort of play that role and sort of take the onus on your own a little bit more.

Well played, but it was a brilliant performance in the field as well, wasn't it? I just wondered if you could talk us through those overs towards the end, was it 16-17, where Joffra and Rash conceded four and three or whatever it was. It felt like a bit of a turning point in the game.

Yeah, out on the boundary it did. That breeze, although it didn't feel a lot in the middle when I was out on the big edge, whenever the ball went up, the wind just kept pushing it and I knew that at any point if they started getting a couple towards my side then we could be chasing possibly 200. So, I think from Joffra and Rash that's really experienced, skilled bit of reading the game and then the execution.

You probably would have settled for 180 at the start though wouldn't you I mean that's 218 the other day the score here what would you think might have been par?

No, I think we bowled really well I think we bowled really well coming here for the first time. I think we would have taken 180 definitely. We had some really good plans and we kept a few of their main guys quiet, which was pleasing from our point of view. But I feel like - had we missed a little bit more, we could have been chasing maybe 200-plus. I think it was a great effort with the ball.

When you won the World Cup in Australia 2022, you had a bit of a stop-start start, similarly the defeat against Ireland, the win against Australia, and then got on a roll. Does this feel similar in any way yet?

I don't know if you can compare the two but it's definitely the first step in in that direction. I've already said in tournament play you need a bit of luck at the right time and you need to build your momentum and confidence and I feel like that's the first step in the right direction.

Does this in any way feel like you've put to bed the troubles, I know you didn't play in India, but as a team, as a white ball outfit, it's like a statement victory that puts to bed all that that came last year?

I don't know really, just from my point of view, I'm just turning up playing cricket, I'm not thinking about that sort of stuff, it's gone. I don't know, my head's not there, my head's very much in the present and now and this World Cup.

I was going to ask something similar, but on Saturday, if the weather had not gone your way and if Australia hadn't got that run chase over the line, things could have been very different in this tournament. You kind of got through now and won the game in that sort of fashion. What does that do for you guys as a group looking ahead to the rest of the tournament?

I think firstly it's a bit of confidence - you're going to get bored of me saying confidence and momentum, but it's a bit of confidence playing on this ground, knowing the conditions, knowing the dimensions, the wind, everything like that. And, it's just, I must be so boring here, but it's just the first step in the right direction. Getting that momentum, that's how I see tournament cricket. The good sides that I've played in have all sort of come to the peak and at the right time.

Lol hahahah now people are giving england credit. Before this match they were making fun of England. Hahahah

2022 semi final wounds are still not healed I guess.LOL
are the wounds of the hammering by India and USA going to heal in this lifetime

England defeating a certain team in the final and making their fans cry made it all okay for me

Also.how can you end up with 180 batting firat for only 4 wickets? WI didn't accelerate well today at all.

Archer and Rashid bowled extremely well. One of Archer’s overs was absolute magic.

Not sure if Windies got a par score. They needed at least 210 here to make a game of it. England would have even chased 200 easily the way they were going. WI 30-35 runs short for me.

Who was the guy that bowled the 30 run over to Phil Salt :D absolute Sunday league club fare.

Imagine England were knocked out because of Rain? Pakistanis would have an excuse to defend Babar and Rizwan @James

What a beautiful World Cup

All of my strong beliefs in cricket being re-affirmed and everything I have stood for is being realised!

Come on England!!

Now that the big boys have warmed up, expecting all pedagogical minnows to be thrashed. West Indies, USA, Afghanistan, Bangladesh had their time in the sun and some caught others off-guard/weather shenanigans. The real test is to qualify from their Super 8 groups, and none of these teams will be able to do it.

Now that the big boys have warmed up, expecting all pedagogical minnows to be thrashed. West Indies, USA, Afghanistan, Bangladesh had their time in the sun and some caught others off-guard/weather shenanigans. The real test is to qualify from their Super 8 groups, and none of these teams will be able to do it.
It is unfortunate USA v Ireland was rained off, otherwise Pakistan would be smashing teams too in the super 8

Who was the guy that bowled the 30 run over to Phil Salt :D absolute Sunday league club fare.
It was Romario Shepherd. It was shocking when they left out mckoy for this guy LOL.

Last edited:
Back