England (56/4) defeat West Indies (55) by 6 wickets in the ICC T20 World Cup

I think this World Cup will be won by which team's batsmen use their brains the most rather than which team's batsmen hit the ball the hardest and longest.

Looking at this pitch I wont be surprised if there is some trickery applied to Pakistan's India match pitch.

No doubt this has been awful batting stuff. They are probably lacking an anchor here.

However, the Moeen part is an honest assessment from my side. Somehow he has looked a far more impactful cricketer post his stint with Dhoni and CSk. It is not about the IPL part but I would say more to do while working with a captain like MSD. Moeen played in IPL before that also.

Moeen has been class for 5-6 years now.
He's been a demon in domestic T20's

The experience playing in PSL and IPL have no doubt helped

Another wicket.

Rashid is on a hat-trick.

West Indies - 49/9 after 12.2 overs.

Last edited:
I think this World Cup will be won by which team's batsmen use their brains the most rather than which team's batsmen hit the ball the hardest and longest.

Agreed, and going by that Pakistan might well play Hafeez and Malik in all games. Their experience can be invaluable in these conditions.

This can potentially see them out of the tournament the NRR will be horrendous

Is this Ravi Rampaul I see?
What is he still doing in a Windies shirt?

This is shocking from West Indies.

I expected them to struggle but not like this. Bangladesh and Sri Lanka can beat them if they bat like this.

What happened to "Carlos Braithate, remember the name"?

Is he injured?

NRR can destroy westindies chance of qwalify to semifinals as England maynl chase this Total in Powerplay .

This reminds of Pakistan's rubbish opening match in CWC 2 years ago. Windies' NRR will be smashed to be pieces. To be fair, I dont think Windies will win a single match either.

England have great batting. Bowling is looking good. Fielding is looking sharp.

They can make it to final.

England have done to West Indies exactly what West Indies did to Pakistan in the 2019 WC. :91:

Difficult for WI to come back from here. Expect them to lose at least 4/5 games.

This reminds of Pakistan's rubbish opening match in CWC 2 years ago. Windies' NRR will be smashed to be pieces. To be fair, I dont think Windies will win a single match either.
They just dont look to have the right batsman to play in these conditions. Horrific to see all their batters just come in and swing like madmen, when the previous batsman was clearly struggling to time the ball.

55 all out West Indies. There second lowest total in T20Is.

What a shambles.

Last edited:
They just dont look to have the right batsman to play in these conditions. Horrific to see all their batters just come in and swing like madmen, when the previous batsman was clearly struggling to time the ball.

They had hetmayer and bravo and the other middle order batter I thought they were thier to steady the ship

They had hetmayer and bravo and the other middle order batter I thought they were thier to steady the ship
Both threw their wickets away cheaply.

West Indies were playing to honor their reputation more so than anything else.

What an embarrassing performance by defending champions. Clearly looked lack of plan and game awareness.

Hopefully will bounce back in coming matches.

I was not expecting that at all. That was an absolutely diabolical performance by the West Indies.

ICC T20 World Cup | England v West Indies | Dubai | 23 October, 2021 | Match Discussion

Actually, something funny happened today before the matches. Discussing the tournament with my brother, I told him that the West Indies will give everyone a surprise this time around as well and deliver a below par performance. I was basing this merely on the theory that the lack of expectations makes them play better and freely. In the T20 World Cup alone, you can see this pattern in the way that they performed in the 2012, 2014, and 2016 editions respectively.

What a garbage batting display! :facepalm:

The Windies team is grossly unfit. Most of the players are obese and their lack of ability to convert one's into two's is obvious. Too lazy or too old to run, take your pick. They seem to be relying on their power hitting to get them through which the slow pitches in UAE aren't suited for.
A sorry state of a team

Dubai has the highest turn and India plays all their games there. Don't tell me the schedule was not intentionally designed to help somone

ICC T20 World Cup | England v West Indies | Dubai | 23 October, 2021 | Match Discussion

Win predictor still saying 19% chances of the West Indies winning. That gentleman has gone mad! :)))

Although butler has been very successful opening, I still feel eng need him at the lower order as he has the ability to score at a high rate in the death overs.
Moeen and woakes don't score much at the death. This could prove costly for eng

Agreed. I don't think this particular side would do well on any track to be honest . These oldies are well past it.

Good to hear atleast pitch is not bad. The last thing you want is poor pitches in an event like T20 world cup.

They didn't even push the fielders for ones or twos that's the big problem with West Indies

West Indies probably feeling like Pakistan in their first game of the 2019 WC!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/zdcve9" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Our worst fears are coming true, looks like by the time we reach the finals 80 will be a winning score 😂😂

England showing it won't be easy for them to bat in these conditions Sri Lanka Bangladesh won't be easy for them for sure

Team need to access condition first then think 145 is very good score here . these are not 180-200 runs pitch.

Our worst fears are coming true, looks like by the time we reach the finals 80 will be a winning score &#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;

Thiers no way Pakistan or India will be bowled out for under 80 !

Dubai has the highest turn and India plays all their games there. Don't tell me the schedule was not intentionally designed to help somone

No. India isn't playing all its games in Dubai.

Indian pacers>>>>Indian spinners. In fact India lacks spin bowling options, having reverted to TTFs like Jadeja and Ashwin.

Last edited:
No India isn't playing all its games in Dubai.

Indian pacers>>>>Indian spinners. In fact India lacks spin bowling options, having reverted to TTFs like Jadeja and Ashwin.

Don't they have a mystery spinner and a leg spinner azwell ?

Our worst fears are coming true, looks like by the time we reach the finals 80 will be a winning score 😂😂

Proper "home" teams will start their campaigns tomorrow. You will get to see batters using common sense.

Don't they have a mystery spinner and a leg spinner azwell ?

Mediocre mystery spinner. Not in the class of Narine or the Lankans.

Leg spinner is Chahar, a much inferior bowler compared to Chahal who was the poster boy of mediocrity. We have the weakest spin attack in this competition, even weaker than SENA teams. Everything up to Bumrah-Shami and Bhuvi/Thakur.

Mediocre mystery spinner. Not in the class of Narine or the Lankans.

Leg spinner is Chahar, a much inferior bowler compared to Chahal who was the poster boy of mediocrity. We have the weakest spin attack in this competition, even weaker than SENA teams. Everything up to Bumrah-Shami and Bhuvi/Thakur.

To be honest I seen chahar bowl he looked OK nothing more but I haven't seen the mystery but alot of Indian fans want him in the team

What a disappointing start to World cup. I hope Ind v Pak match tomorrow lights up the tournament.

Kieron Pollard | Losing captain- There's not a lot to explain - it was an unacceptable performance, but we do need to take this on the chin and move on. It's a matter of finding our straps, we have to find a way to get a fighting total on the board, today was a day where we couldn't find that balance, but we need to forget this and move on. This is an international sport, such days happen, but we need to find a solution. We have played a lot of T20 cricket around the world, this is something we have all experienced, you'll have to accept such days. Each game is important, we still have four games in the tournament and we'll have to look forward. Got an opportunity due to the injury, things do happen for a reason, he has worked hard in domestic cricket, his attitude is fantastic, he has plenty of energy and that 's fantastic, I told the guys to give our best at the halfway stage.

Proper "home" teams will start their campaigns tomorrow. You will get to see batters using common sense.

I love low scoring games but this is becoming a bit too low scoring. Yeah I hope Asian teams will bat better.

DK said that pitches in Sharjah are biggest turners by far, Abu dhabi are 200 tracks, Dubai - there are 2-3 pitches, but the dubai pitches are slow but balanced.

Is there gonna be turn on our pitch tomorrow ?

Full highlights

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/fm85k3" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

sad part is, they saw how SA somehow got to 118 and made a game out of it, and yet these guys shamelessly got all out for 55 trying to hit everything for 6. Even afridi could today go upto them and say bhai itni shiddat toh mujhay bhi nhin hoti thi 6 maarnay ki...

Second that!!

No reason to play Asif Ali (He could not score in flat wickets against poor bowling) I dont want to see his brainless batting tomorrow (Hope I am wrong)
when 44 needed off 43 balls with 7 wickets down and Asif Ali plays the swipe only to get bowled

A ruthless bowling performance saw England get their ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 campaign off to a perfect start as they defeated the West Indies by six wickets in Dubai.

The rematch between the 2016 finalists was eagerly anticipated but proved almost as one-sided as that famous occasion in Kolkata had been dramatic, with the reigning champions subsiding to 55 all out – their second-lowest ever T20I score.

Spin twins Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid were the principal architects of West Indies’ downfall, the latter finishing with England’s best-ever T20I figures of four for two after Moeen had set the tone with two wickets and 18 dot balls in a miserly four-over spell.

The returning Tymal Mills, representing England for the first time since February 2017, chipped in with two scalps of his own including key man Chris Gayle, who was the only batter to make it into double figures.

Akeal Hosein caused problems for England’s powerful batting line-up in reply, taking two for 24, but the modest nature of the target restricted West Indies’ ability to apply real pressure and Jos Buttler’s unbeaten 24 steered the 2019 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup winners home with more than half their overs remaining.

Having opted to bowl upon winning the toss, Morgan opened up with Moeen and the off-spinner was greeted by an early show of intent by Evin Lewis, who lofted the final ball of the first over for what would turn out to be the only six of the innings.

The England all-rounder had his revenge in the very next over, sprinting back from mid-off to take a fine catch when Lewis tried to repeat the trick off the bowling of Chris Woakes and found more height than distance.

Moeen went on to account for Lendl Simmons, who picked out Liam Livingstone on the deep midwicket boundary, to leave both openers back in the pavilion inside three overs.

Consecutive boundaries for Shimron Hetmyer injected some momentum into the innings at the start of the fifth over but Moeen again struck back as the left-hander chipped to Morgan at mid-on.

Such a situation called for experienced heads and in Gayle and Dwayne Bravo, both playing in their seventh ICC Men’s T20 World Cups, West Indies appeared to have just the men for the job.

But having struck three typically powerful boundaries, Gayle soon miscued a pull off Mills and was well caught by a backpedalling Dawid Malan off the final ball of the powerplay, which concluded with West Indies languishing on 31 for four.

The situation only grew more desperate from there with Bravo next to fall, flashing hard at Chris Jordan’s second delivery and succeeding only in finding Jonny Bairstow at backward point.

Mills and Jordan kept the pressure firmly applied in the middle overs, the former removing Nicholas Pooran for a single, and the return of spin paid instant dividends as Rashid’s first delivery cleaned up Andre Russell without scoring.

Captain Kieron Pollard was his side’s final hope of setting a challenging target but having initially been watchful as wickets fell around him, he took on Rashid at the start of the 13th over and provided Bairstow with a routine catch at long-on.

Obed McCoy fell in identical circumstances next ball and though last man Ravi Rampaul survived the hat-trick delivery, a heave in the leg-spinner’s next over saw him clean bowled as the innings was wrapped up with 5.4 overs left unused.

West Indies followed England’s lead in opening with a spinner but Buttler was quickly into the groove, driving Hosein through the covers for a boundary to get the chase going.

Roy was next to take the attack to the left-armer, clearing the ropes over extra cover, but was soon departing the fray after chipping a Ravi Rampaul slower ball to Gayle on 11.

It was Bairstow rather than Malan who walked out at number three and consecutive boundaries took England more than halfway towards their target inside four overs.

Then came a slight wobble as Hosein claimed return catches to remove Bairstow and Livingstone, the second of which was a stunning one-handed effort to his left, either side of Moeen being run out following a mix-up.

But captain Morgan joined Buttler to see his side over the finish line, the wicketkeeper pulling the winning runs to the mid-wicket boundary from the second ball of the ninth over.

Scores in Brief

England beat West Indies at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai by six wickets

West Indies 55 all out in 14.2 overs (Chris Gayle 13, Shimron Hetmyer 9; Adil Rashid 4/2, Moeen Ali 2/17, Tymal Mills 2/17)
England 56-4 in 8.2 overs (Jos Buttler 24 not out, Jason Roy 11; Akeal Hosein 2/24, Ravi Rampaul 1/14)

Player of the Match: Moeen Ali (England)

Back