England Men name Test squad for Tour of Pakistan 2024

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
England Men name Test squad for Tour of Pakistan

- _Durham’s Brydon Carse and Essex’s Jordan Cox are the only uncapped players_
- _Spinners Rehan Ahmed and Jack Leach return to Test set-up_
- _Zak Crawley and Ben Stokes continue to recover from their respective injuries_

England Men's selection panel have named a 17-strong squad for the three-match Test tour of Pakistan in October.

*England Men's Test Squad:*

Ben Stokes (Durham) Captain
Rehan Ahmed (Leicestershire)
Gus Atkinson (Surrey)
Shoaib Bashir (Somerset)
Harry Brook (Yorkshire)
Brydon Carse (Durham)
Jordan Cox (Essex)
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire)
Josh Hull (Leicestershire)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Matthew Potts (Durham)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Jamie Smith (Surrey)
Olly Stone (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Eight players from the squad – Rehan Ahmed, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, and Ben Stokes – return to Pakistan following the 3-0 Test series victory in 2022.

Durham seamer Brydon Carse and Essex batter Jordan Cox are the only uncapped players included in the squad.

Somerset spinner Jack Leach makes his return to the Test set-up for the first time since the opening Test in India in January 2024.

Leicestershire leg-spinner Rehan Ahmed, who made his Test debut in Karachi during the last Pakistan tour in December 2022, will be aiming to add to his four Test caps.

Following his Test debut at Kia Oval this week, Leicestershire seamer Josh Hull is included in the squad for his first senior tour with England.

Kent opener Zak Crawley returns to the squad after missing out since the West Indies series in July. The 26-year-old, who fractured his right little finger at Edgbaston in July, is making significant progress in his recovery to earn selection.

Captain Ben Stokes is also included as he continues his recovery from a hamstring tear that kept him out of the recent Test series victory against Sri Lanka.

The venues for the three-match series are yet to be confirmed, with an announcement expected from the Pakistan Cricket Board later this week.

Will Jacks was pretty decent for England last time, why did he not make it?

Expecting a 3-0 hammering by Eng. Anything less than that will be a disappointment for Ben Stokes team

i think we should give England a task beat us if Three days if you can and i am sure they can you know.

Mark wood missing for england will mean england wont have that extreme reverse swing pace threat that will make things a bit easier for our batters even though stone and atkinson bowl high 80 s it will be more negotiable.

Lol I can't wait to see mir the trundler hamza to grunt and bowl 120ks thunderbolts to this menacing england lineup.

They will destroy Pakistan badly.
Another whitewash is coming up.

Mark wood missing for england will mean england wont have that extreme reverse swing pace threat that will make things a bit easier for our batters even though stone and atkinson bowl high 80 s it will be more negotiable.

These bowlers will have a field day bowling Babar through the gate just like Olly Robinson did in 2022.

Without Archer and wood england bowling attack is minnows level .

Pakistan should win the series 3-0 .
The bowling attack is very poor.

However ours is probably worse at the moment.

And our batting is worse than theirs.

These bowlers will have a field day bowling Babar through the gate just like Olly Robinson did in 2022.
Its time for all the batting line up to take responsibility not just Babar.

Every top player has dips in form at some stage in their career but its up to the team mates to bail them out.

I would open with Saim and Fakhar for this series and play Dizzyball.

The bowling attack is very poor.

However ours is probably worse at the moment.

And our batting is worse than theirs.
Prepare spin friendly pitches and select proper 2 Spinners at least.

Agha salman is not a all-rounder but Pakistan play him as an all-rounder .

Pakistan should learn from India and stop watering the surfaces 1 week before the games. Play your two most experienced spinners. These English really suck at playing spin.

That's the only way they might avoid a 3-0 humiliation

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I can't wait to see mir the trundler hamza to grunt and bowl 120ks thunderbolts to this menacing england lineup.

They will destroy Pakistan badly.
Another whitewash is coming up.

Interestingly, left arm pace is what England have struggled against the most in the Bazball era - Boult, Vishwa, Starc, Wagner, Jansen have all had success against England.

In the Bazball era , Duckett averages 46.xx against left arm pace but everyone else in that lineup averages 35 or below including Joe Root.

I'm not sure if Mir Hamza or Shaheen are good enough to exploit that .

But it's worth a shot .

Its time for all the batting line up to take responsibility not just Babar.

Every top player has dips in form at some stage in their career but its up to the team mates to bail them out.

I would open with Saim and Fakhar for this series and play Dizzyball.

Every top player has had dips when they have reached their early to mid 30's. However the likes of Kohli, Root, Williamson, Smith have earned the right to be called top players because of their massive body of work for over a decade and the numerous games they have won for their countries singlehandedly.

Babar in comparison has not earned the right to be called a top player. His body of work in comparison is very light. He is only Pakistan's best batsman or was a few years ago but not anymore. Now Babar is easy work for most international sides and bowlers. What Babar is experiencing is not a dip in form, what he is experiencing is being worked out by most oppositions i.e. weakness against left arm spin arm ball, exploiting his lack of sweep shots, plugging the gap at midwicket. Against pacers Hazelwood, Cummins did not break a single sweat exploiting his gap b/w bat and pad, similar to what Ollie Robinson did in 2022 and now Naheed Rana has exploited Babar's lack of footwork, fetish for playing away from the body outside the off stump. It also hasn't helped that Ramiz as CEO gave him delusions of grandeur with absolute powers as captain and it is apparent looking at his physical state and the technical decline in his batting in the last few years that he lost the drive, hunger and work ethic he had in his early years.

Ignoring his illogical fan following, a few more bad series and the PCB will be forced to axe him. His declining stocks worldwide is evidenced by the fact that he is no longer in demand in various leagues around the world.

I think it's a weak bowling attack of England coming to Pakistan... so they will generally have to rely on their batting.

Woakes won't get a better chance than this to get his 50+ SC average down to a respectable one to say the least.

Every top player has had dips when they have reached their early to mid 30's. However the likes of Kohli, Root, Williamson, Smith have earned the right to be called top players because of their massive body of work for over a decade and the numerous games they have won for their countries singlehandedly.

Babar in comparison has not earned the right to be called a top player. His body of work in comparison is very light. He is only Pakistan's best batsman or was a few years ago but not anymore. Now Babar is easy work for most international sides and bowlers. What Babar is experiencing is not a dip in form, what he is experiencing is being worked out by most oppositions i.e. weakness against left arm spin arm ball, exploiting his lack of sweep shots, plugging the gap at midwicket. Against pacers Hazelwood, Cummins did not break a single sweat exploiting his gap b/w bat and pad, similar to what Ollie Robinson did in 2022 and now Naheed Rana has exploited Babar's lack of footwork, fetish for playing away from the body outside the off stump. It also hasn't helped that Ramiz as CEO gave him delusions of grandeur with absolute powers as captain and it is apparent looking at his physical state and the technical decline in his batting in the last few years that he lost the drive, hunger and work ethic he had in his early years.

Ignoring his illogical fan following, a few more bad series and the PCB will be forced to axe him. His declining stocks worldwide is evidenced by the fact that he is no longer in demand in various leagues around the world.
On the international stage Babar is recognised as a Top batter which is why I referred to him as such.

Now if some people feel otherwise that's a different discussion for another thread.

Now with regards to your observation on Babar s being found out by the opposition you could use that argument if a player came in with a bang for a year or two like ajantha mendis did and then got found out.

But in Babar case he s played international cricket since 2015 so either the international bowlers or coaching staff are extremely thick and incapable over a 9 year span or he's having a dip in form.

My money would be on the latter.

As I mentioned in my earlier post all the Batters need to take responsibility not just one.

naqvi making stupid decisions causing factions by unnecessarily Babar captain again before the T20 world cup and snatching it away from Shaheen has robbed us of our two best players performing.

That has to be taken into consideration.

No other competent cricket board would ever do that.

There is an obsession among PK players to grab the captaincy and giving it to the best batter in the side.

Muhammad Yousuf was the same.

Looks a good solid squad, a tad short of experience on the bowling front.Why no archer -he injured again?

will ben Stokes be bowling?

Lastly, for Pak what about Yasir Shah has he retired? If not, surely bring him back - angrez teams arent that flash against spin, especially leg spin...could well make a big difference

Interestingly, left arm pace is what England have struggled against the most in the Bazball era - Boult, Vishwa, Starc, Wagner, Jansen have all had success against England.

In the Bazball era , Duckett averages 46.xx against left arm pace but everyone else in that lineup averages 35 or below including Joe Root.

I'm not sure if Mir Hamza or Shaheen are good enough to exploit that .

But it's worth a shot .
Mir hamza won't even trouble female crickters with his pace. LOL.

Shaheen is done for now until and unless he rediscover himself I don't see him doing anything against any team.

They are gonna destroy them badly. I have some hope from Naseem who consistently bowls at 140ks and can bowl good line and length. Naseem is only decent option in test cricket for Pakistan.

Wasim jnr is another one with who can be decent addition but I think he is injured otherwise he can be a decent option with good pace and slingy action.

This English side is beatable to be honest, especially in conditions away

It's just that apart from India and Australia, there are no consistent Test teams anymore.

PAK, SA, NZ have simply declined too much to challenge them over a series.

Pakistan should learn from India and stop watering the surfaces 1 week before the games. Play your two most experienced spinners. These English really suck at playing spin.

Difference here is that India does that and then goes onto humiliate visiting teams with a comfortable cleansweep.

Pakistan copying that to avoid a 3-0 whitewash is precisely why your team management has smartly avoided going that route.

Don't think so. Pakistan doesn't have quality spinners and neither can our batters be trusted against spin.
Yeah, if you pick guys without much FC experience what do you expect?

Pretty obvious what the end result would be.

Pick Kashif Bhatti and Zafar Gohar!

Pak are definitely not beating Eng on bouncy, green or flat pitches.

💯

Pretty obvious what the strategy should be, but too many dumb, dumbs in Pak cricket.

India beat England because our pacers got more seam movement and reverse swing than their pacers and got more drift and spin than the English spinners .

There's ball tracking data to confirm this

It's less to do with the pitches. You have to outbowl them.

If you prepare a spinning pitch , you can't afford the likes of Abrar who visibly spin the ball less than Mehidy.

Lol at the delusion that Pakistan can replicate India's strategy at home. India doesn't rely on spinners alone, they also have Bhumrah, Shami, Siraj as well. They also have batters who can play spin very well on rank turners and can also deal with reverse swing.

Pakistan have none of this quality.

Mir hamza won't even trouble female crickters with his pace. LOL.

Shaheen is done for now until and unless he rediscover himself I don't see him doing anything against any team.

They are gonna destroy them badly. I have some hope from Naseem who consistently bowls at 140ks and can bowl good line and length. Naseem is only decent option in test cricket for Pakistan.

Wasim jnr is another one with who can be decent addition but I think he is injured otherwise he can be a decent option with good pace and slingy action.
Did you watch him bowl in Aus?

Pakistan need to find a proper spinner. Ever since crackdown on illegal bowling action Pakistan has not been able to produce a decent spinner.

Back