Predict the outcome of the 3-match Test series between Sri Lanka and England

• Sri Lanka will win the series 2-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sri Lanka will win the series 3-0

• The series will end in a draw

• Total voters
Jamie Smith’s electrifying 67 brought England back to life, but it wasn't enough to prevent Sri Lanka from moving into a strong position to win the final Test at The Oval.

Chasing 219, the tourists ended the third day at 94-1 after just 15 overs, leaving them only 125 runs away from a memorable victory.

Sri Lanka could have been even closer, or possibly won the game already, if not for Smith's brilliance. He lit up his home ground with a breathtaking display of batting.

England struggled for much of the past two days and were reeling at 82-7, only 144 runs ahead, when Smith launched his remarkable counter-attack.

Starting on 15 from 31 deliveries, Smith smashed 52 off the next 18 balls, sending the ball to all corners of the ground.

In a partnership of 58 for the eighth wicket, Olly Stone managed just five runs. With Smith in full swing, thoughts turned to the possibility of England’s fastest-ever Test century, but his innings ended when he found mid-wicket, leaving to a standing ovation.

England added only 16 more runs before being bowled out for 156, with Lahiru Kumara leading Sri Lanka’s superb bowling effort with 4-21.

Earlier in the day, Sri Lanka had been dismissed for 263 in their first innings, with England's debutant left-armer Josh Hull taking 3-53.

Pathum Nissanka then capitalized on some loose England bowling late in the day. Although Chris Woakes managed to dismiss Dimuth Karunaratne with a caught and bowled, Nissanka remained unbeaten on 53 from just 44 balls, with Kusal Mendis on 30.

Sri Lanka have been outplayed for most of this series but they have competed well and there were moments where they really challenged England. A win here would be some modicum of reward for all that hardwork.

Dhananjaya is turning into a mighty fine player like Angeloa Mathtews
I think Angelo Mathews is more of a cautionary tale rather than anything else. If you consider how good he used to be, he has been a shell of his former self for years now.

Lol, this has to be bazball era's most ridiculous seletion. Hull averages 182 in this season's county championship.
He did get 5 wickets vs Sri Lanka in their warm up, but is only picked because of he has a 6'7 left armer who can occasionally bowl 90 mph.
Its like if Pakistan selected Muhammad Zeeshan in the test side.

Bangladesh beating Pakistan.
SL most likely beating England here.

All set for NZ to be humbled by Afghanistan.

Sri Lanka have been outplayed for most of this series but they have competed well and there were moments where they really challenged England. A win here would be some modicum of reward for all that hardwork.

2-1 to England would be a reasonable result and a fair reflection of the balance of this series.

The narrative around this one in the post match will revolve around “Bazball” because the press are obsessed by it and can’t see beyond England’s own successes or failures in terms of the outcome of a game - many England fans also have this issue - but the truth is that SL have been a nuggety opposition & should get a lot of credit (they won’t) for a really solid performance on Days 2 and 3 which has put them in a winning position.

2-1 to England would be a reasonable result and a fair reflection of the balance of this series.

The narrative around this one in the post match will revolve around “Bazball” because the press are obsessed by it and can’t see beyond England’s own successes or failures in terms of the outcome of a game - many England fans also have this issue - but the truth is that SL have been a nuggety opposition & should get a lot of credit (they won’t) for a really solid performance on Days 2 and 3 which has put them in a winning position.
Sri Lanka's pacers have been fairly good in this series and deserve credit. England is obviously a far superior side but you have to give Sri Lanka deserve credit for scrapping hard and punching above their weight. Their pace attack is not very experienced but the fact that they picked up all 10 English wickets shows how disciplined and consistent they were in that innings.

Also a reminder that England has the best and most balanced pitches for test cricket in the world. And if you apply yourself and show some discipline, you can win.

What I have liked about Sri Lanka is that they have learned from their mistakes in this series and rather than making the same mistakes. Their players don't have the skill-level but they have still tried to play positive, attacking cricket more and more as the series as progressed.

England has been the better team by a fair distance but I think Sri Lanka will come out of their series with alot of positives like the performances of their pacers, Nissanka at the top, Kamindu Mendis coming into his own, DDS as captain.

I think Sri Lanka need to show some consistency in their selection now. Especially with players like Nissanka, Mendis, Kumara, Vishwa Fernando. They can't expect to be successful carrying dead-weight like Mathews around and not giving these young players enough chances to establish themselves.

Should be the end of the road for Dimuth and Angelo. Old and underperforming.
Karunaratne has had a bad series but he is still their best batter. He averaged 60 last year. And even this year he has averaged 36 which is not that bad.

Angelo somehow always manages to hold onto his place in the side by playing a good knock when he is on the edge of getting dropped.
Yeah. Been doing that for a good 8-9 years now.
Karunaratne has had a bad series but he is still their best batter. He averaged 60 last year. And even this year he has averaged 36 which is not that bad.
He's scored against Ireland, Afghanistan and Bangladesh in the last couple of years.

He's scored against Ireland, Afghanistan and Bangladesh in the last couple of years.
Not exactly. He was their best batter in New Zealand just last year. Also has scores of note against Pakistan, Australia (in the match they won by an innings) and a century in India. I think a team like Sri Lanka could still benefit from his experience at the top. Him and Nissanka should be opening their batting.

England’s assistant coach Paul Collingwood via Sky Sports:

“It certainly hasn't been one of our better days of Test cricket this year."

“I think we've been in situations where the game has been in the balance and we found ways of overcoming that and we always try to constantly put the opposition under pressure."

“Full credit to Sri Lanka I thought they bowled really well. Their lengths were excellent and they obviously got a lot of movement on the ball."

“We'll always try to find a positive way that we can apply the pressure on an opposition and sometimes it doesn't work."

“You've got some good players out there and they find ways to put you under pressure. Today's been one of those days.”

Kusal Mendis throws it away . This mediocre guy averages 28 with the bat against the other Top 8 sides.

And he is their #3.

Kusal Mendis throws it away . This mediocre guy averages 28 with the bat against the other Top 8 sides.

And he is their #3.
I don't understand their fixation with Kusal Mendis. He has been a mainstay since 2016 and has yet to show he is anything but mediocre.

Nissanka has shown more in 2 years than he has in 8.

I don't understand their fixation with Kusal Mendis. He has been a mainstay since 2016 and has yet to show he is anything but mediocre.

Nissanka has shown more in 2 years than he has in 8.
Probably hoping to replicate his white ball exploits in Test cricket.

pitch seems to have flattened out, typical for the oval.
who says test cricket is dead? first west indies winning in australia, bangladesh whitewashing pakistan away and now sri lanka on the verge of victory

pitch seems to have flattened out, typical for the oval.
who says test cricket is dead? first west indies winning in australia, bangladesh whitewashing pakistan away and now sri lanka on the verge of victory
Oval and Manchester are one of the better surfaces for batting. I think you can chase down even bigger totals here

Third Test, The Kia Oval (day four of five)
England 325
(Pope 154, Duckett 86) & 156 (Smith 67, Kumara 4-21)
Sri Lanka 263 (De Silva 69; Stone 3-35) & 219-2 (Nissanka 127*)
Sri Lanka won by eight wickets, England won series 2-1

====

England went down to their worst defeat under Brendon McCullum as Pathum Nissanka’s magnificent century guided Sri Lanka to a famous win at The Kia Oval.

England had the opportunity to earn a 100% home summer for the first time in 20 years but instead paid the price for a careless display.
Though Sri Lanka lose the series 2-1, this ends a 10-match winless streak against England and, realistically, gives a measure of success to what was always likely to be a tough tour.

Below-par displays on days two and three left England up against it at the beginning of day four, when Sri Lanka resumed on 94-1, needing another 125 to reach their target of 219.

Kusal Mendis was bounced out for 39 by Gus Atkinson thanks to Shaoib Bashir’s brilliant catch. Another 111 runs were still required, yet any England hope was snuffed out by the composure of Nissanka and Angelo Matthews.

Nissanka had already passed three figures when Bashir missed a half-chance to catch him at third man. By then, the game had gone.
Nissanka ended unbeaten on a quite brilliant 127, Mathews on 32. Their unbroken partnership of 111 gave Sri Lanka victory by eight wickets and only a fourth Test victory in this country.

England end the summer with series wins against West Indies and Sri Lanka, though also with a sense of what might have been.
Their next Test series, in Pakistan, begins in less than a month, albeit with doubts over the schedule because of renovation works at a number of venues in the country.

An unrelenting international calendar continues on Wednesday when an almost entirely separate England squad begins a T20 series against Australia in Southampton.

Source: BBC

Glad England got over the line, expected some disruption without the nucleus that is Stokes and knew Lanka would fight, but it doesn’t surprise me that they have been competitive, good on them for a well deserved victory today. Jayasuriya has done some good work with the team and they have a decent crop to work with now. Pope got the win but his captaincy was poor in this Test, the collapse finished them but his use of the bowlers was poor and I feel like the team was slacking a bit too; still good experience for him and we tried some new players which is always a plus.

pathum nissanka is damn good. what a talent. so cool calm and collected.
unreal.

Where are jofra and wood . without them english bowling attack is minnow level

Where are jofra and wood . without them english bowling attack is minnow level
They miss Stokes. So their tail starts early. Also Crawley is in better form than Dan lawrence. This is like the ENgland side before Stokes took over. They have lost bazballers like Bairstow who was the key in bazball set up. He lost his marbles in Indian tour

One of the most boring highlights i have seen. Almost all runs come at 79 mph at the pads they tickled for singles.

Nissankas innings is better than anything Babar has played in his life. Overseas ton in SENA leadng to a victory. I do not think Babar has ever done that.

One of the most boring highlights i have seen. Almost all runs come at 79 mph at the pads they tickled for singles.

Bowlers were cooked. Josh Hull injured with leg strapping (already), Atkinson not used to Test cricket yet and had played 6 back to back Tests which was too much, Bashir too green and lost his head after bowling far too many buffet balls to defend a small target, Woakes getting too old to play every Test in a summer and seemingly running on fumes.

All a bit embarrassingly weak and trundly in the end. They wouldn’t have defended 419 with this sick bay attack, let alone 219. (Olly Stone looked good though.)

It’s hardly a revolutionary or insightful argument on my part to say that a team missing three established players including the captain — Crawley, Wood, and most of all Stokes — is going to weaken a side quite significantly, but England struggled to cope in the end and got outplayed in this match, despite the two welcome series wins.

Well done Sri Lanka, great Test victory.

Bowlers were cooked. Josh Hull injured with leg strapping (already), Atkinson not used to Test cricket yet and had played 6 back to back Tests which was too much, Bashir too green and lost his head after bowling far too many buffet balls to defend a small target, Woakes getting too old to play every Test in a summer and seemingly running on fumes.

All a bit embarrassingly weak and trundly in the end. They wouldn’t have defended 419 with this sick bay attack, let alone 219. (Olly Stone looked good though.)

It’s hardly a revolutionary or insightful argument on my part to say that a team missing three established players including the captain — Crawley, Wood, and most of all Stokes — is going to weaken a side quite significantly, but England struggled to cope in the end and got outplayed in this match, despite the two welcome series wins.

Batting line up is too light. Woakes/Atkinson saved them in the last Test. They could have atleast played Sam Curran in place of the new guy. He can bat too.

Batting line up is too light. Woakes/Atkinson saved them in the last Test. They could have atleast played Sam Curran in place of the new guy. He can bat too.

I can envisage a recall for Sam Curran as he offers a fair bit, so he may bag a seat on the plane.

Although the player that England really need back is Stokes. His batting, bowling and captaincy usually comes to the fore when England are under the pump in a game. The lack of clutch player / leadership in this 3rd Test was v.evident for Eng.

Crawley-Duckett-Pope-Root-Brook-Stokes*-Smith-Atkinson is a much stronger batting lineup than having Woakes at 7 and Lawrence as “opener”.

Cocky England have disrespected Test cricket and Sri Lanka - Michael Vaughan

England’s gunslingers cannot always rely on Joe Root to dig them out of a hole - and must wise up for India and Australia

England had a strong Test summer of regeneration but they finished with a very disappointing defeat at the Oval.

I felt that they disrespected Test cricket, and disrespected Sri Lanka in the third Test by being over-aggressive with both the bat and in their field placings. England have made a habit of becoming a bit complacent after a good period – I think of the start of the Ashes, or earlier this year in Rajkot – and I hope it serves as a wake-up call for the tougher Tests that lie in wait in 2025. There is no way they will get away with playing like this against India or Australia.

I’d really encourage England never to lose the love of winning. Sitting in the dressing room after a Test win, whether it’s in the Ashes away or against an average West Indies side or Sri Lanka who are not as strong as they once were in your own backyard, that is a very special feeling. You should be desperate for it every week as a Test cricketer.

For me the intensity and concentration in the big moments were missing this week. It was all a bit flimsy, cocky even. They took the mickey out of the game. The answer in Test cricket’s hottest moments cannot always be attack, attack, attack.

In the first innings, they turned 261 for three into 325 all out, then gifted Sri Lanka runs on the second day through attacking fields and by bowling spin in bad light. So a lead of 62 on first innings was not that comfortable. I love that they have an attack-first mentality, but then to be bowled out in 34 overs on that pitch against this attack was nothing short of pathetic.

This week really hit home to me how important Joe Root is to this batting lineup. His batting is the key. All these flamboyant players around him get flamboyant fifties. But without the glue at No 4 getting the huge amount of runs he does, they are knackered. He can’t do it every week, and he didn’t do it this week. Jasprit Bumrah enjoys bowling at Root, and could severely limit his output next summer. The same goes for Pat Cummins in Australia, where Root has never scored a hundred. England have to have ways of succeeding when Root doesn’t make big runs. On the basis of this game, they don’t.

It’s a shame because the team overall made good progress this summer, with the emergence of Jamie Smith and Gus Atkinson, who look like players who will be around for a long time, and a general refresh with Shoaib Bashir, Olly Stone, Josh Hull and the like. There has been a new version of Bazball, a bit more thoughtful and patient, aggressive at the right times. That’s what I saw when Root saw them to victory at Old Trafford, and Smith put them in charge against West Indies at Edgbaston.

This was too far though. There is so much talent around Root in the batting lineup, even with Zak Crawley and Ben Stokes injured. But they cannot rely on one player. In Smith and Harry Brook, they have two young players who can become as reliable as Root. The rest are just dangerous players, and as a unit the batting lineup seems to believe that the more teh ball swings, the harder they should go. That normally works for someone like Ben Duckett, but Brook needs to wise up.

He could be a genius, but he’s pretty much published an invitation to bowling attacks around the world to bowl to him in the channel with a packed offside field, and he will chase it. He won’t just wait. Teams will be clocking this, both the analysts and the great bowlers like Bumrah and Cummins. Brook will give himself nowhere to go, because in the Ashes last year he took on every short ball, and now if you hide it outside off stump he will take that on too. Batting like that exposes Root even more.

They need to generate more partnerships. Against Sri Lanka they did not have a single partnership of 100 across the series (Sri Lanka had three!). That leaves you totally reliant on individual brilliance.

I felt England’s bowling was fine this week, but I thought the over-aggressive fields they went for did the bowlers a disservice, and put them on the back foot immediately. They went out with an idea to be super-aggressive, but this wasn’t the match or pitch for that. This was a top-of-off pitch, two or three slips and a gully, with extra cover in. They had six slips, short leg, leg slip. It was almost as if they had 650 on the board, but they had half of that.

To make matters worse, the Oval has a rapid outfield and the new ball has not been doing as much lately. You are almost sitting in, waiting for the lacquer to come off and then it swings round corners after 15 or 20 overs. The fields meant that Sri Lanka got off to a flying start, which bowlers hate. It means they lose confidence and start chasing. It just did not look right and was too easy for Sri Lanka.

I’ve looked at England this week and thought ‘you’d never do that against India or Australia’. So why do it against Sri Lanka, who competed hard in the first two Tests and have shown they are a good team?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can envisage a recall for Sam Curran as he offers a fair bit, so he may bag a seat on the plane.

Although the player that England really need back is Stokes. His batting, bowling and captaincy usually comes to the fore when England are under the pump in a game. The lack of clutch player / leadership in this 3rd Test was v.evident for Eng.

Crawley-Duckett-Pope-Root-Brook-Stokes*-Smith-Atkinson is a much stronger batting lineup than having Woakes at 7 and Lawrence as “opener”.
This combination was a recipe for disaster from the get go as it is forcing you to have near perfect game in every match. There is no option for top/MO to fail.

I don't understand the selection of Josh Hull. Selecting someone just because he is 6'8 for test cricket is a bit ludicrous considering his lack of experience. Bazball era has seen some interesting left-field selections but this one was one of the bad ones.

I don't think batting is the issue. Stokes and Crawley will be back soon enough. The fast-bowling though looks too inexperienced to challenge the top-level teams. I still maintain that they shouldn't have forced Anderson into retirement. I don't think anyone is ready to take his place. Their most experienced bowler Woakes is pushing 36 and completely useless outside England. Atkinson seems like a good prospect but he's too early in his career. Wood is always injured. Potts and Olly Stone are also young and inexperienced.

I was impressd by his backfoot game when he hoicked Starc over midwicket for a six in australia. That sheer shot execution is not something you often see with most Subcontinent players.
Seems like a good future all-format star for them. Has an ODI double ton as well. And he's just 26.

I don't understand the selection of Josh Hull. Selecting someone just because he is 6'8 for test cricket is a bit ludicrous considering his lack of experience. Bazball era has seen some interesting left-field selections but this one was one of the bad ones.

Bowled ok in the first innings. Not necessarily a one Test wonder but I think he will be back to county cricket for a while. His injury allows them to save face and not have to “drop” him.

It's not just based on his height. They may not even be looking to play him in Tests going forward. They probably see an ODI future as well and just wanted to give him some international exposure just like the Will Jacks' selection for a Test series in Pakistan.

Potts and Olly Stone are also young and inexperienced.

Olly Stone is 30. He has had limited international exposure due to suffering some bad injuries in the past. But he had major back surgery which seems to have helped a lot with that. I think we will see more of him in the future.

It's not just based on his height. They may not even be looking to play him in Tests going forward. They probably see an ODI future as well and just wanted to give him some international exposure just like the Will Jacks' selection for a Test series in Pakistan.
I don't see any reason for him playing besides the fact that he is really tall. There are probably 50 bowlers ahead of him interns of performance.

Olly Stone is 30. He has had limited international exposure due to suffering some bad injuries in the past. But he had major back surgery which seems to have helped a lot with that. I think we will see more of him in the future.
I didn't know that. But that isn't great to hear. Saqib Mahmood is also suffering from an injury I believe. What happened to Brydon Carse?

Sri Lanka is the first Asian side to chase down the target of 200+ in England

9VgUw8H.jpeg

They miss Stokes. So their tail starts early. Also Crawley is in better form than Dan lawrence. This is like the ENgland side before Stokes took over. They have lost bazballers like Bairstow who was the key in bazball set up. He lost his marbles in Indian tour
But bairstow doing bad in India doesn't mean he won't do well in England tbh.

Crawley and Stokes and wood are missing.

Wasn't stone express pace before? I saw him bowl mostly 133 to 139

Sri Lanka is the first Asian side to chase down the target of 200+ in England

9VgUw8H.jpeg
Damn that's a thrashing.

Demolition job.

No Crawley and Stokes though. Could that have been a factor?

Wood I don't believe would have made much of a difference.

What a win for Sri lanka. No one was expecting that. Sri Lanka is a team that rises to big occasion more often.

Curran isn't tall enough or fast enough for the selectors to pick him, although he really can be useful in home tests atleast, like Woakes. Stokes with the bat isnt consistent enough, only fires once in a while with the bat, his bowling is very crucial though.

Crawley was the main guy England missed, the most consistent batsman vs Australia and India. Made 70 odd vs the Windies on the toughest pitch of the series, then got some soft dismissals including that freak run-out. He is probably their best player of fast bowling.

Hope Sri Lanka dont randomly ditch Nissanka and Kamindu like they usually do with promising young batsmen.

No Crawley and Stokes though. Could that have been a factor?

Wood I don't believe would have made much of a difference.

Missing players were definitely a factor, but it’s up to England to find suitable depth. Stokes MVP offerings are obviously not easy to substitute, but the other two should have been more replaceable than they were.

Missing players were definitely a factor, but it’s up to England to find suitable depth. Stokes MVP offerings are obviously not easy to substitute, but the other two should have been more replaceable than they were.
I am not sure about replacing Crawley tbh. I would say he is England's best batsman.

While peaking on a Podcast, Mark Butcher was in all praise for the visitors:

"I have to say England’s batting on both occasions was end of term, gung ho, slapdash, all the bad adjectives that you could come up with about the way that England played from day two onwards in the match really. So they [Sri Lanka] were aided and abetted by a team that kind of played as though the victory was a foregone conclusion and kind of went at it like that."

"And then you know once you'd earned the right to be a bit more expansive and go back to Bazball 1.0 then do it. But the lead was only 60, the ball was moving around and they kind of came out and played like they had 260 on the board instead."

"Then Sri Lanka as we've mentioned before bowled brilliantly, knocking over Joe Root and Harry Brook with two in swingers. Vishwa Fernando, who up until this test match or that afternoon anyway had looked absolutely insipid as a left-arm swing bowler. And suddenly before you know it, you're in big big trouble."

"That's what's annoyed me really, the fact that they actually made strides to kind of remove that sort of unnecessary risk-taking from the game in order to get the job done, get themselves into a position where they were infallible and were going win it and that. I hope that's annoyed them too."

So weird
Pak beat lanka
Lanka beat bdesh
Bdesh beat pak

Lol

Indeed.

To be fair, that SL-Pakistan series happened quite a while ago. Pakistan were in good form at that time.

If Pakistan and SL play a Test series now, SL may win.

Similarly, if Pakistan and BD played a Test series at that time, Pakistan should've won easily.

Indeed.

To be fair, that SL-Pakistan series happened quite a while ago. Pakistan were in good form at that time.

If Pakistan and SL play a Test series now, SL may win.

Similarly, if Pakistan and BD played a Test series at that time, Pakistan should've won easily.
That series happened just last year. Not quite a while ago.

Back