England v Ireland ODI series (2020) - Matches Thread

Ireland need to bring in more fielders and force an error here . Dot balls do not matter for Poms here

Campher should be batting higher in the order !

IRE 212/9 (50), ENG 216/6 (32.3)

England won by 4 wkts

PLAYER OF THE MATCH : Jonny Bairstow

Capture.JPG

SOUTHAMPTON - England took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match ODI series against Ireland today, earning victory by four wickets at the Ageas Bowl.

Sam Billings (46*) and David Willey (47*) came to the rescue for the hosts after England fell to 137-6 in their chase of 212, putting on an unbeaten stand of 79 to seal victory.

Ireland captain Andrew Balbirnie won the toss and chose to bat first, however despite a more solid-looking batting performance early, wickets tumbled and Curtis Campher was required to resurrect the Irish innings once more.

Willey – England’s star bowler on Thursday – removed Gareth Delany for 0 and Paul Stirling for 12. Balbirnie was just settling in before James Vince – surprisingly called into the attack by Eoin Morgan – induced an edge to the keeper, with the skipper caught in two minds as he unsuccessfully attempted to pull out of a cut shot.

Kevin O’Brien fell for 3 after Adil Rashid unfurled a brilliant googly, and Harry Tector (28) provided the England leg-spinner with his second scalp of the day, as Saqib Mahmood took a straightforward catch at mid-on. Lorcan Tucker advanced to 21 but fell top-edging a sweep shot to Reece Topley at short fine leg. At 91-6, Ireland were in big trouble courtesy of Rashid’s three-wicket spell.

Campher shifted the tide, first alongside Simi Singh (25), and then with Andy McBrine (24). The Ireland No.7 was watchful to begin with, taking 78 balls to reach his second ODI fifty in his second match, but there was plenty of adventure on show in Willey’s final over, with an audacious reverse scoop from the all-rounder his third and final boundary of the over.

The 21-year-old eventually fell for 68 to Saqib Mahmood – handing him an ODI batting average of 127 – and Ireland finished on 212-9 after Topley claimed a final-ball dismissal of McBrine.

Despite the early loss of Jason Roy to Craig Young for a duck, Jonny Bairstow stamped his authority over the England innings. While the impressive Campher removed both Vince and Tom Banton, at the other end Bairstow was scoring freely, smashing 14 fours and two sixes as he advanced to 82. His half-century arrived from just 21 balls – the joint-fastest for England in the format.

But then Ireland began to fight back, as Josh Little took three wickets in quick succession: Bairstow feathered an edge behind from a cut, before Morgan and Moeen Ali perished for ducks. With England in an awkward position despite having over 30 overs in the bank.

Nevertheless Willey and Billings settled any nerves for the hosts guiding their side to victory by four wickets, and sealing a 2-0 lead in the three-match series.

2-0 to England.

It has been too easy for them. Ireland are not testing them much.

2-0 to England.

It has been too easy for them. Ireland are not testing them much.

England’s second team too, with no Root, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Archer and Wood.

Ireland are a side in transition with only Campher sticking his hand up.

England’s second team too, with no Root, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Archer and Wood.

Ireland are a side in transition with only Campher sticking his hand up.

Campher is a great find. He has been the star with both bat and ball.

Ireland's bowling is good but batting is below average currently.

Would love to hear thoughts from [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] [MENTION=136108]Donal Cozzie[/MENTION]

Sorry only logging in now!

Its been a fairly acceptable showing so far from our view. Diabolical start to the first ODI, Campher looks a gem of a find and we've seen some fight from the lower order. Our bowling isn't at full strength with Adair, Rankin and McCarthy out so its heartening to see that, in the second game in particular, England have at least had to turn up to win.

Tector is a player I'm seriously excited for. Threw it away yesterday but at just 20 he's already got some excellent t20i performances under his belt and he looked very assured the last day for his 30, against a pretty strong attack.

The youngsters have mostly stepped up which is great to see, its the senior pros in Balbirnie, KOB and Stirling who've all failed and contributed very little.

I'd drop Delany to 7, he is a big hitter and will make a career in t20 leagues I can assure you, but he surely isnt an ODI opener, not in these conditions anyway. I'd move him down the order and open with McCollum next game who's a solid player. Tempted to drop KOB too as he's added nothing here but that's not gonna happen so I'd swap Delany for McCollum in that case.

Our bowling is still weak, lot of bonus wickets off bad balls the last day, but they're game and Little as we saw certainly isn't afraid to give it to batsmen which, I'll be honest, I loved seeing haha. Been way too long since we had that about us.

Who knows, if one of Stirling/Balbirnie turns up next game we can definitely get a score. It's a problem we are so reliant on them for sure but, remember, about five of this team are barely even starting their careers. We'll be using this League as a transitional phase preparing for the WCQ as we aint getting Top 8 anyway, so there have definitely been some positives to take from this.

Our insistence on absolutely brainless shot selection hasn't been great for my blood pressure mind!

I know England are missing players, but they still have the spine of their WC squad playing and , realistically, even an England side supplemented with second XI players is probably in the Top 5 in world cricket right now. Billings is a serious player, so unlucky to have played as little as he has.

Good to see some young players on Ireland ranks. They really. Need to increase their pool and if I was selector I wouldn’t be opposed to fast tracking young players who ‘look good on the eye’ and throw in the deep end. At the least it will increase the national talent pool.

Sorry only logging in now!

Its been a fairly acceptable showing so far from our view. Diabolical start to the first ODI, Campher looks a gem of a find and we've seen some fight from the lower order. Our bowling isn't at full strength with Adair, Rankin and McCarthy out so its heartening to see that, in the second game in particular, England have at least had to turn up to win.

Tector is a player I'm seriously excited for. Threw it away yesterday but at just 20 he's already got some excellent t20i performances under his belt and he looked very assured the last day for his 30, against a pretty strong attack.

The youngsters have mostly stepped up which is great to see, its the senior pros in Balbirnie, KOB and Stirling who've all failed and contributed very little.

I'd drop Delany to 7, he is a big hitter and will make a career in t20 leagues I can assure you, but he surely isnt an ODI opener, not in these conditions anyway. I'd move him down the order and open with McCollum next game who's a solid player. Tempted to drop KOB too as he's added nothing here but that's not gonna happen so I'd swap Delany for McCollum in that case.

Our bowling is still weak, lot of bonus wickets off bad balls the last day, but they're game and Little as we saw certainly isn't afraid to give it to batsmen which, I'll be honest, I loved seeing haha. Been way too long since we had that about us.

Who knows, if one of Stirling/Balbirnie turns up next game we can definitely get a score. It's a problem we are so reliant on them for sure but, remember, about five of this team are barely even starting their careers. We'll be using this League as a transitional phase preparing for the WCQ as we aint getting Top 8 anyway, so there have definitely been some positives to take from this.

Our insistence on absolutely brainless shot selection hasn't been great for my blood pressure mind!

Great analysis! You seem like you have a lot of hope for the Ireland team in particular the WCQ. What does the future look like in your opinion? It will be nice to see Ireland step up as a better team in coming years, especially if they’re putting up a decent fight against the WC champions in home conditions.

Great analysis! You seem like you have a lot of hope for the Ireland team in particular the WCQ. What does the future look like in your opinion? It will be nice to see Ireland step up as a better team in coming years, especially if they’re putting up a decent fight against the WC champions in home conditions.

I'm more optimistic now than at any stage in the past five years.

2016-2018 really were terrible times. Regular hammerings and literally no young exciting players were getting debuts or caps despite the obvious need for fresh blood as the old guard got stale and retired. 2016 WT20 was one of the worst squads we've ever sent, a really really terrible t20 team and it showed in the results.

Now we have a really exciting crop of young players. Some may fail but some won't, and they all have bags of talent. It's just going to take some time for them to settle as we don;'t have much exposure to quality cricket for them, certainly not with Covid anyway. Where Pakistan or Englands talents get their refinements in domestic cricket, ours have to do so through A and senior internationals.

We sent an Ireland A side to tour Sri Lanka eighteen months ago (can't believe its been this long already tbh!) We drew a Test which we were actually on top of for most of, which was an incredible result considering it was a really young team who'd never played in Asia before. Lost all LO games, two of them by quite large margins but we put decent runs on the board in 2-3 of those games which was very encouraging. All that matters on those tours is individual performances and practically every young player selected gave at least one performance. Tector scoring a List A 100 as an example.

Our A side also notched up victory's against both the senior Bangladesh and Zimbabwe sides last year, and yes these are just warm ups for sure, training games, but even so, we've never ever had depth enough that we could even comprehend a second XI challenging full member teams in that environment before. Its a big step when the second XI or replacement pool of players can still perform to a decent level vs good teams, even in practice games.

But there's a core crop of players who will be the backbone of our team for the next decade potentially.

D Delany is a genuine express pace bowler. Only 22 years old, he clocked 146 in the WT20Q when he played, but he is currently recovering from a knee injury. I hope his pace remains, as he's a genuine strike option and is our only real genuine quick atm. He's being bubble wrapped atm to shield him from injury and ensure he recovers fully, otherwise I feel he's not far off an ODI debut.

G Delany has had a fantastic start to his t20i career and is a serious striker of the ball. Not an ODI opener but I really have high hopes for him. Just 23. Already a key man in our t20 team.

H Tector is the best of the lot. Handed captaincy of the A team at 19 and he's already being groomed to be a future captain. Again has had a very good start to his t20i career playing against good teams like Afghanistan, so he is the most highly rated. Only 20. He will be the star player of the side in the future, I can;t recall any other Ireland player at this age with the individual performances he's had since Morgan.

Little is a good t20 bowler with lots of spirit. I'm not convinced on him for ODI's yet but he certainly has guts and attitude about him. Clearly talented, only 20.

James McCollum is a very handy opener too. Hope we see him in tomorrow's game. Also only 25.

Lorcan Tucker probably wont raise any eyebrows outside of Ireland but he has the ability to become a solid 30 averaging player potentially. Jury's out on him though but he did play a really lovely match winning 60* against Zimbabwe in his debut series. Have doubts though, not had the same success as the others.

Barry McCarthys only 26, check his stats if you want to know why he's important. Averaging about 26 in ODI's as a bowler, which is great for a team of our calibre.

I'm sure some of the above probably won't make it as I hope, but the crux is we have an exciting core of really young talented players starting their careers. The fact we've beaten the WI and Afghanistan in away t20's, should have won an ODI in the Caribbean, and are at least making England work for these wins already gives me tremendous hope that we can have become more honed by the time the qualifier rolls around in 2 years.

I've probably waffled on a lot but I'll summarise by saying that for the first time ever Ireland has genuine competition for places in all departments. Rewind to the good days you could write our XI blindfolded. Any absentees had a severe impact on competitiveness. Now, even though I;m sure many of the names above probably don't register by more established nations talent scales, we could have decent replacements for practically every position, without suffering any major dip in quality. Could argue some of the non playing players are just as good tbh.

That's absolutely crucial for development, because where there's competition there's a need for every player to stay top of their game and push each other to keep their spot.

I am quite excited. Not that we're ever going to be a top level team never in a million years, but I don;'t see any reason why, in 4 years perhaps, assuming all goes well, we aren't capable of beating the likes of SL,WI,BD, on a reasonable basis, which is something we've never done before.

We will have serious incosistencies. I have absolutely no doubt we will get thrashed by top teams in the years ahead. But I think we could also compete respectably too all going well. I never would've thought this back in 2017, when there was just nothing changing and we looked a very poor team.

Stephen Doheny is another really highly rated young man. Had a great tour of Namibia in February with the A side where he outperformed Campher whos' now making headlines. He'll be in these squads soon enough.

And I also neglected to mention Mark Adair at 23 who had a quite incredible debut season last year and immediately became a stalwart in all formats. He's injuried atm but he's yet another guy with top performances at international level who's only embarking on his career.

Campher has impressed me the most! I’m glad there is a potential resurrection in Ireland’s competitiveness on the cards, even if to a minor extent — could be very good for cricket as a whole at the end of the day.

SOUTHAMPTON, England – Cricket Ireland’s national men’s selectors have made one change to the 14-player squad for today’s third and final one-day international against England at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton.

The 14-player match squad is:

Andrew Balbirnie (c), Paul Stirling (vc), Mark Adair, Curtis Campher, Peter Chase, Gareth Delany, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Kevin O'Brien, William Porterfield, Simi Singh, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Craig Young.

Andrew White, Chair of National Men’s Selectors, said:

“The last ODI is certainly not a dead rubber, given the World Cup Super League points up for grabs. We’re looking for a strong finish with a more complete performance from the squad. There have been plenty of positives from the first two games - particularly Curtis Campher’s all-round efforts – and if the squad continue to show the tenacity and fight which saw them reduce England to 137-6, then hopefully we can close it out and finish the series on a high.”

Ireland have won the toss and have opted to field

Ireland (Playing XI): Paul Stirling, Gareth Delany, Andrew Balbirnie(c), Harry Tector, Kevin O Brien, Lorcan Tucker(w), Curtis Campher, Mark Adair, Andy McBrine, Joshua Little, Craig Young

England (Playing XI): Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow(w), James Vince, Eoin Morgan(c), Tom Banton, Sam Billings, Moeen Ali, David Willey, Adil Rashid, Tom Curran, Saqib Mahmood

Last edited:
ENG 44/3 (8.1) CRR: 5.39
Ireland opt to bowl

Roy seems horribly out of form. He is having a forgettable series.

England are in a bit of trouble now. 44/3.

Morgan is taking the game away. I don't think Ireland can chase down anything over 240.

England - 119/3 after 18 overs.

ENG 147/3 (22) CRR: 6.68
Ireland opt to bowl

80* for Morgan so far

Morgan is in complete beast mode.

England - 152/3 after 22.4 overs.

Morgan is on 81*. Can he score a double century?

Were 40/3 but they just don't care.

If it was India , they would have leached their way to 90/3 or something thanks to our over defensive approach.

Morgan may get his career best today.

ENG 315/9 (47.3) CRR: 6.63
Ireland opt to bowl

Annihilation for Ireland am afraid in this game.

England end up on 328 (49.5) CRR: 6.58

Capture.JPG

Ireland in hot pursuit!

ENG 328 (49.5)
IRE 104/1 (17) CRR: 6.12 REQ: 6.82
Ireland need 225 runs

ENG 328 (49.5)
IRE 182/1 (29.1) CRR: 6.24 REQ: 7.06
Ireland need 147 runs

106* for Stirling

Ireland doing it with ease and finesse. Sterling playing an inning to complement his name

ENG 328 (49.5)
IRE 217/1 (35) CRR: 6.2 REQ: 7.47
Ireland need 112 runs in 90 balls

Wow! Ireland have been impressive today. I left the game thinking England would demolish Ireland.

Eoin Morgan - 106
Andrew Balbirnie - 102*

The first instance of both captains scoring a century in an ODI on England soil.

Most ODI 100s For England

Joe Root - 16
Morgan - 13
Trescothick - 12
Bairstow - 9
K Pietersen - 9
Buttler - 9
Roy - 9

[MENTION=132715]Varun[/MENTION] - England could shell a home ODI now to Ireland of all teams.

England lost a one-off to Scotland in 2018 too. These could be important WCSL points for Ireland to pull off an upset against a top team and get ahead of their likely competitors Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Netherlands.

Ireland have beaten the World Champions.

Congratulations to the Irish. You can see what it means to them after years of toil in Associate leagues.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ireland's 329/3 is the highest ever successful run-chase by an away team in a ODI in England <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvIRE?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvIRE</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1290753941903421440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What an absolutely amazing amazing display. Absolutely fantastic. I'm glad they didnt make me look foolish after my long posts about the potential yesterday!

SIX of that team are under 24 years old. Only 1 player, KOB, was over the age of 31.

Balbirnie is already an amazing captain. Picking youth every game here, not playing the seniors Porterfield, Wilson, Rankin, sticking with youth and what a reward.

Attacking fiels all the way through, turns to the young rookie leggie and he gets the breakthrough and bowls a lovely little spell. Bats then like an absolute champion with the beast Stirling.

Arguably the best Ireland display I've ever watched. England were 200/3 after 28 at one point. An amazing fightback by such a young side.

And Tector, I dodnt think it was the right call to go with him but what experience to close out with KOB and he played some cracking cover drives. Only his 3rd ODI! Serious talent.

Its a damn shame we may not play again this year but what an amazing year its been relying solely on youth. Away wins vs WI,Afg and England, and we should've won an ODI in the WI too.

Absolutely bloody fantastic. Makes the barren years of 2016-2019 worth it!

And we're technically the second best ODI team in the world for the foreseeable future :p .-)

Amazing stuff from Ireland, congrats to the team and the fans on record run chase in England.

What an absolutely amazing amazing display. Absolutely fantastic. I'm glad they didnt make me look foolish after my long posts about the potential yesterday!

SIX of that team are under 24 years old. Only 1 player, KOB, was over the age of 31.

Balbirnie is already an amazing captain. Picking youth every game here, not playing the seniors Porterfield, Wilson, Rankin, sticking with youth and what a reward.

Attacking fiels all the way through, turns to the young rookie leggie and he gets the breakthrough and bowls a lovely little spell. Bats then like an absolute champion with the beast Stirling.

Arguably the best Ireland display I've ever watched. England were 200/3 after 28 at one point. An amazing fightback by such a young side.

And Tector, I dodnt think it was the right call to go with him but what experience to close out with KOB and he played some cracking cover drives. Only his 3rd ODI! Serious talent.

Its a damn shame we may not play again this year but what an amazing year its been relying solely on youth. Away wins vs WI,Afg and England, and we should've won an ODI in the WI too.

Absolutely bloody fantastic. Makes the barren years of 2016-2019 worth it!

And we're technically the second best ODI team in the world for the foreseeable future :p .-)

Great day Donal. Ireland would have been a decent side in 2019 WC, had they qualified. It should be a 12 team WC to make sure that the new found interest of cricket in countries like Ireland, Scotland, PNG..... doesn’t diminish for lack of global presence.

Wow!! That was a great match, by far the most exciting of the series. Congratulations to Ireland on a thumping win.

[MENTION=132715]Varun[/MENTION] - England could shell a home ODI now to Ireland of all teams.

England lost a one-off to Scotland in 2018 too. These could be important WCSL points for Ireland to pull off an upset against a top team and get ahead of their likely competitors Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Netherlands.

Congrats to Ireland!!

SOUTHAMPTON, England - Centuries from Paul Stirling and Andrew Balbirnie took Ireland to a famous seven-wicket win over England in the third and final ODI at the Ageas Bowl on Tuesday.

The pair put on 214 for the second wicket in a chase of 329 to set up the victory, although both fell in the space of three overs, with 50 needed from 33 balls when Kevin O’Brien walked out to join Harry Tector at the crease. The new pair managed to put any nerves at bay to guide the visitors home to victory, with O’Brien hitting the winning single.

Nevertheless, the stars of the show were Ireland’s captain and vice-captain. Stirling teed up the chase by dominating an opening 50-run partnership with Gareth Delany, contributing 36 of the runs as Ireland were able to build a platform that had been missing in the previous two ODIs.

Then began the monster second-wicket partnership, with Stirling’s massive sixes off the bowling of Adil Rashid making up the majority of the highlights. Balbirnie advanced to his 10th ODI half-century from 43 balls, and Stirling then survived a drop from James Vince at midwicket before moving to his ton from 96 balls.

The milestone-ticking didn’t relent, with Balbirnie bringing up his century from the first ball of the 42nd over, but a mix-up just three balls later resulted in Stirling being run out on 142. Balbirnie’s attempts at acceleration proved costly thereafter as he lofted Rashid to Sam Billings at long-off. England seemed set to wrestle back control at that stage, but the youthful exuberance of Tector married up perfectly with the experience of O’Brien to deliver the win.

Ireland had enjoyed a strong start with the ball at the start of the day after Balbirnie chose to bowl. England’s openers Jason Roy and Jonny Bairstow perished inside the opening four overs, and Vince fell for 16 to leave the hosts 44-3 after 8.1 overs.

Eoin Morgan and Tom Banton then led the English recovery, with the former in blistering mood as he plundered 15 fours and four sixes on his way to 106, with his century reached from just 78 balls. Banton offered a steady presence at the other end, the 21-year-old reaching his maiden international fifty off 41 balls.

But then came an Irish resurgence, with four wickets picked up quick succession. Josh Little kickstarted things with the dismissal of Morgan, with Banton following not long after as Gareth Delany trapped the right-hander on the crease. Curtis Campher’s lively start to his international career continued with the scalp of Moeen Ali, and Billings – in form after two consecutive unbeaten match-winning hands – then found Mark Adair at mid-on off the bowling of Craig Young.

England’s lower order fought back, however, with David Willey using his brawn in a 42-ball 51, while Tom Curran finished unbeaten on 38 as England were bowled out with a ball to spare. Then came Stirling, and thus began the successful chase.

SCORECARD IN BRIEF

England v Ireland, one-day international, 4 August 2020, Ageas Bowl, Southampton

England 328 (49.5 overs; E Morgan 106, T Banton 58; C Young 3-53)
Ireland 329-3 (49.5 overs; P Stirling 142, A Balbirnie 113; A Rashid 1-61)
Ireland won by seven wickets

Ireland's stunning win over England at The Ageas Bowl could be the start of a "new chapter" for Irish cricket, according to Niall O'Brien.

Centuries from Paul Stirling and Andy Balbirnie helped Ireland to just their second victory over England and, in overhauling the hosts' 328, they recorded the highest successful one-day international chase by a visiting team in England.

While it was the more senior players who starred in the win, 20-year-old Harry Tector was there at the end, unbeaten on 29 from 26 balls, and O'Brien believes the win justifies the decision to stick with the younger players.

"That was unbelievable, I'm just so proud of those boys - not just the XI but the whole squad because they've had two tough defeats, beaten badly let's be brutally honest about it," the former Ireland wicketkeeper told Sky Sports.

"But the way they've conducted themselves around the hotel, around the ground, they've trained their socks off, they've been a credit to Irish cricket and they deserve this.

"They've played wonderfully well tonight. They could have been chasing over 400, they clawed their way back into the game with some good bowling - a little bit of lacklustre batting from England, yes - they took some good catches, Lorcan Tucker got a good run out from behind the stumps.

"Chasing 329? They would have taken that before a ball was bowled. We've all spoken about the main guys needing to fire; Stirling, Balbrinie need to fire and they did. And the youngsters did a good job.

"Should Kevin [O'Brien] have come in at four? We probably all thought he should but Tector did a good job there.

"These youngsters are good enough. Tector is good enough, Tucker is going to get better, Josh Little is a good talent - these guys are good.

"Craig Young is back after a long layoff, he's a leader and he picked up six wickets in these three games. There's plenty of belief.

"Barry McCarthy was picked for the first ODI on merit, the first time in his career that he has probably been the first seamer on the team sheet, then unfortunately he picked up a bad injury.

"Curtis Campher has been a good find and if Mark Adair can get fit, strong and get his headspace right then Ireland have a good side.

"Unfortunately for [Boyd] Rankin, [William] Porterfield, [Gary] Wilson, this might be the last hurrah for some of these guys because these young guys are hungry and they're good enough."

Ireland's first win over England came at the 2011 World Cup and there were remarkable similarities with that famous triumph in Bangalore - most notably the winning total of 329.

But where does the victory rank among Ireland's cricketing triumphs?

"For Ireland, going forward into whatever cricket they've got in the next few months or years, don't underestimate just how big a win that was."

"It's up there," O'Brien said. "But what it will do is get Bangalore off the backs of these players because everybody used to go back to Bangalore and Ireland have lost about eight times to England since then.

"Maybe that Bangalore win, as great as it was, will be put to bed and this is a new chapter for Irish cricket. So top five!

"Those young lads, if they're not sitting on the edge of their seats when Balbirnie and Stirling are talking in team meetings then they will be now.

"That win is huge for Irish cricket, actually for Irish sport as a whole. The country has been in the doldrums for three or four months and that is massive for the people back home watching sport."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...ew-chapter-of-irish-cricket-says-niall-obrien

"We won't know the huge significance of this win for another 2.5 years, but I can tell you it's massive."

That tweet, half an hour after Ireland had defeated England on Tuesday night, came from Cricket Ireland high performance manager Richard Holdsworth, the man who has the almost impossible task of planning the match schedule post-Covid-19.

The England games were the first of eight three-match series in the World Cup Super League which the 12 Full Member nations plus Netherlands will play over the next two years. The top seven will join hosts India as automatic qualifiers for the 2023 World Cup finals, the last six in the table going into a qualifying tournament from which only the top two will make the showpiece.

Ireland had been due to play Bangladesh and New Zealand this summer before the pandemic struck and these matches will now have to be rearranged into a schedule which will also see them play home series against South Africa and Zimbabwe and away to Afghanistan, the West Indies and the Dutch, not to mention the already postponed T20 series away to Zimbabwe and home to Pakistan.

To get a win, worth 10 points, against the world champions has given Ireland the perfect start to the Super League and prompted Holdsworth's instant tweet.

"We have 24 matches, how many wins will the seventh-place team need? It would be a serious ask for Ireland to do that, but every game is important whether it's England or Netherlands," said Holdsworth.

"Each team is only playing eight others, which isn't ideal, but it will be all 12 next time (for a place in the 2027 World Cup) - there are no dead rubbers and every ODI has context.

"But you don't want to be the team that finishes 13th - not that we hope to be anywhere near that - because that team has to finish higher than any other Associate in the World Cup qualifying tournament in order to be on the Future Tours Programme (FTP) next time around.

"It's absolutely crucial for the whole business, for everybody playing at every level that gets funding and support from Cricket Ireland, for us being in that FTP, playing 36 ODIs in three years following the World Cup.

"The money involved in that is enormous, from broadcast, sponsorship, gate receipts against the 12 best teams in the world. What is that worth? It is significant. With wins like this, it is massive in terms of belief and experience."

Ireland's next series is due to be in India against Afghanistan in January, but Holdsworth knows "we can't go to India without decent cricket before that, training and preparation outside and matches to go with that".

The UAE in November is the likely destination and date for such a tour.

The downside of the win is that Ireland's Republic-based players now face two weeks quarantine on their return.

"The guys from Northern Ireland can go straight up from Dublin and there's no quarantine there. We've been in the safest environment I could imagine; there was hand sanitiser in every corner - we didn't leave the hotel and were tested four times and all came back negative," said skipper Balbirnie.

"Obviously we have to respect the rules and regulations. Cricket Ireland went to the Government, but I don't think anything's come of that."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...g-to-protect-irish-future-chief-39427090.html

Back