cricfan967

ODI Debutant
Runs
No room for lemons in City of Oranges

Match Facts
February 22, Nagpur
Start time 14:30 local time (09:00 GMT)

Big Picture

Whisper it, but England owe the Netherlands a significant debt of favour. The last time these two teams met was at Lord's in June 2009 on a soggy opening night of the World Twenty20, when Ryan ten Doeschate, Tom de Grooth, Edgar Schiferli and Co. inflicted a sensational humiliation on an England team who were still resettling after their Moores/Pietersen upheaval, and had yet to recognise the need to front up in all formats.

It was a notable nadir, and a result that still ranks as one of the most abject moments in England's often chequered history in ICC competitions. And yet, it was arguably the hurry-up that they needed. Since that night, England have gone on to win and retain the Ashes, they triumphed at the subsequent World Twenty20 in the Caribbean, and until last month's ODI debagging in Australia, they had not lost a series in any format of the game since September 2009.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the memories of that evening have been surpressed by both teams in the build-up to this rematch. On the one hand, the Dutch have no wish to relinquish their comforting status as underdogs, but on the other, there is a widespread acceptance that England in 2011 are a very different proposition. They are not among the outright favourites for the World Cup by any stretch of the imagination, but neither should they be the makeweights who have disgraced every edition of the tournament since 1996.

Netherlands could hardly wish for a more portentous venue than Nagpur, India's so-called city of Oranges, although in a contest stretched over 100 overs rather than 40, England's experience ought to tell in the end - just as it did against Canada in their inauspicious warm-up in Fatullah last week, and indeed in Peshawar 15 years ago, when the teenaged Bas Zuiderent stole the plaudits for his maiden fifty, if not the result. England were as bad as they've ever been in that campaign. They've come a long way since then.

England (probable) 1 Kevin Pietersen, 2 Andrew Strauss (capt), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Ian Bell, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Matt Prior (wk), 7 Ravi Bopara, 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson.

Netherlands (possible) 1 Alexei Kervezee, 2 Wesley Barresi (wk), 3 Eric Szwarczynski, 4 Tom Cooper, 5 Ryan ten Doeschate, 6 Peter Borren (capt), 7 Bas Zuiderent, 8 Tom de Grooth, 9 Mudassar Bukhari, 10 Adeel Raja, 11 Bradley Kruger.

Last time these two met in the T20 WC, Netherlands won. Should be interesting to see how badly England hammer Netherlands this time around :D

Last edited:
Hope Doeschate puts on a show but other than that, another boring 75+ run /7 wkt win for the much stronger team.

Netherlands if they bat first will win the match. You heard it here first. Pietersen will fail as an opener and anderson will get carted around the ground. Inshallah :))

Man eagerly waiting for a minnow upset. Coming against England will just make it sweeter.

England's bogey team. :)

Bat first get 230 and England will collapse under orange pressure. :)

no need to put WC 11 any more guys :)

should be fairly straightforward for the English.

It's really important to get a very tough group stage off to a good start with the comfortable win that we're more than capable of achieving against the Netherlands. Given the difficulty of the games ahead, a slip-up here and we'd already have one foot in the grave.

England will crush netherlands.
Netherlands got a good cricket team but
not good enough.

Netherlands rules with their football team!!
If these teams playing football then they
had beaten england!!!!

It's really important to get a very tough group stage off to a good start with the comfortable win that we're more than capable of achieving against the Netherlands. Given the difficulty of the games ahead, a slip-up here and we'd already have one foot in the grave.

I'd expect us to overcome the Bangles too - we are 6-0 against them after all, but the Windies are the potential banana skin.

I'd expect us to overcome the Bangles too - we are 6-0 against them after all, but the Windies are the potential banana skin.

Actually we are 5-1 against the Banglas - and the match is not a guaranteed win at this World Cup.

Ireland are the associate that seems to compete the most often with full members, but it's still once in a blue moon. We should win that one, and beat Netherlands.

I only hope that we can upset South Africa or India just in case we slip up in one of the so-called 'easier' games. Windies have taken a lot of games off us in the past, and we have done the same to them. That one could go either way.

I actually think that if England play to their potential (which is a very high potential), then they can finish in the top two in the group. But on these wickets, our record is poor.

Last edited:
I think england will win the game. I think the dutch will be abot more competative then the other minnows have been so far.

I'm going to read nafl and then do dua that england lose tomorrow :moyo

Actually we are 5-1 against the Banglas - and the match is not a guaranteed win at this World Cup.

When did the Bangles beat us in an ODI?? I thought we were the only side they have never beaten.

When did the Bangles beat us in an ODI?? I thought we were the only side they have never beaten.
I think it was a 3 match series in England they beat you in the 2nd game, but then England came back and won the 3rd one to win the whole thing 2-1.

Maybe it was 2009?

2nd ODI.

Trott made a patient 94, without accelerating, with most of the batsman around him failing (Bell was also injured so batted at no.11). Never made an effort to accelerate, which put the responsibility on the bowlers coming in who tried to hit out to keep the run rate in check. Noticeably Broad was an example of this.

Trott finally started hitting in the 2nd last over where the required run rate had jumped to about 12 runs off every over. He hit two fours in that over before getting out in the last.

In the end he scored 94 and england fell short of the 230 something. Disgraceful inning's by Trott really, he made no attempt to even win the game until the 2nd last over. He pretty much cost England the match.

Trott's done pretty well in ODIs in general, but that's one of his worst games in my opinion. Even if he did make a 90 or so.

Last edited:
Hope England win this by 3 runs. I want a nice close match, but an England win hopefully :D

@ads explains the game very well. Significantly, for Bangladesh to beat us took a very good day for them, and a very bad day for us. So we are clear favourites here again, but I think it'll be pretty close.

I'm looking forward to England v South Africa. They are one of the ODI teams who are probably better than us if results against the rest of the world are considered, but we always seem to beat them. Our head-to-head with them over the last few years is hilarious, 7-1 to us or something? :D (would be interesting to know the exact figure)

kpshock1.jpg

Robben and Sneyder will be openening pair

van der sar wicket keeper

van persie and huntelaar attacking bowling pair

van der vaart, dirk kuyt middle order

yeh team mein huwi to jeet jain ghe

Last edited:
If Pietersen fails, Netherlands could pull off an upset, I hope this is the case.

If Pietersen fails, Netherlands could pull off an upset, I hope this is the case.
It's not the English batting Netherlands will be worried about. Their batting will be out of all sorts playing the likes of Broad and Swann.

Don;t think I'm gonna watch this, I can;t watch minnow getting hammered again. Bangla, Kenya and Zimbabwe have already disappointed me, I am not wasting my time supporting these let downs. I will wait for the Pakistan matches :afridi A little less than 33 hours away :ajmal

I am afraid another one sided blowout awaits us. What an awful beginning to a tournament.

they should have kept two minnow games a day and gotten it over with. This is beginning to get painful

Except Ryan Ten Doeschate, I am not sure if NED have the firepower to beat England

That would have been perfect, but that requires logic which unfortunately ICC lacks at times.

Ryan ten Doeschate averages 68.55 in ODIs :O..

No hope.Except for wi vs bangladesh i think rest of the matches are going to go one sided

will be interesting to see whether pieterson has the ability to open an innings, even if it is against the Dutch.

Come on Netherlands! Would be awesome.

2nd ODI.
Trott finally started hitting in the 2nd last over where the required run rate had jumped to about 12 runs off every over. He hit two fours in that over before getting out in the last.

In the end he scored 94 and england fell short of the 230 something. Disgraceful inning's by Trott really, he made no attempt to even win the game until the 2nd last over. He pretty much cost England the match.

Ah yes, I must have blanked that one out! - it reminds me too much of Bill Athey's match-losing go-slow in the 1987 WC final.

We have an upset in our hands today boys, just contacted the bookies.

its gonna be a easy win for us:D

Ryan to score 100 Cooper 85 Alexie 50..

Mudassar takes 4 .. and there we go

Netherlands win the toss and elect to bat first

netherlands looking more solid than pakistan in their opening overs

Good toss to win. We should try and restrict them to 180-250 (hopefully the lower end of the scale) to minimise the possibility of another choke.

I saw on twitter that in the last 10 ODIs between NZ - Eng, NZ won four and England won 2. Not sure what happened to the rest though

I saw on twitter that in the last 10 ODIs between NZ - Eng, NZ won four and England won 2. Not sure what happened to the rest though

There's been at least one tie. As for the rest, probably no results given the weather in our respective countries :(

Looks like two very disappointing opening overs from Anderson. He will never be a reliable bowler in ODIs, despite his increasingly strong test match pedigree.

There's been at least one tie. As for the rest, probably no results given the weather in our respective countries :(

hmm Wonder why such a poor WL ratio for England there, surely their team is better than the Dutch

These Dutch batsmen seem pretty good.

Hope they can post a decent score and put England under pressure and he's :out

Well Batted though

first breakthrough, was being over aggresive for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back