England Vs New Zealand | 3rd Test | Trent Bridge 5/6/08

52-2

Ian Smith the MOST BIZZARE COMMENTARY piece I have ever heard in my lifee!!!! (following on from a mini-collision betweenAnderson & a Kiwi batsman)

TruSachFan said:
he has this usual ability to leak runs though. Bowled some awesome balls but also some bad ones. Need to improve on that. Don't think he'll get that many maiden overs against top class batting.

Unfortunately that's just the way he is. The attempts to make him change his bowling action to give him more control merely made him less effective. At a push you can probably afford to have one bowler like that in your team, but he needs to keep taking wickets, and I'm not entirely convinced that he can do it consistently enough to warrant a regular place.

Lil_weed said:
Gosh where is everyone? Am I the only one watching this England game? Come on Lads, its not that boring, save test cricket please... I know most of you are IPL'holics now but come on watch test cricket too.

Friday afternoon - Jummah....

Oxy said:
52-2

Ian Smith the MOST BIZZARE COMMENTARY piece I have ever heard in my lifee!!!! (following on from a mini-collision betweenAnderson & a Kiwi batsman)

And now he seems to have 'stormed off'!!!!

Violence in the commentary box!!! Botham whacks Nasser with a bottle to the head after Nass calls him a 'doughnut'.

Its all happening here at Trent Bridge............

Ian smith lost the plot, dont find him funny at all.... He just cant take the fact that England are doing well.... Botham was funny though, top bloke.

Oxy said:
52-2

What was he on about? His squirrelly face is annoying so I quickly flipped to check the Federer score...

brilliant bowling by anderson. Outswingers and good inswingers. Its TEA 57/2 nz.

andersonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
first one : going down the leg, awesome decision by hairy
second ball: plumb in front
anderson in awesome form

And another one gone!!!!

Anderson on RAMPAGE here!!

gotta say, those were all beautiful deliveries

Anderson get 4th wicket 4-30 now. Flynn LBW
NZ 62-4 after 22.4 overs
Keeper Hopkins in

Lil_weed said:
thank god for that, i got sick of t20 cricket... Just no competition at all on those featherbed pitches... designed to suit batsman only.... does get boring seeing so many sixers and fours...

Fret not. Most souls here prefer test to t20.

I think he's going to pick up six or seven here...

When he's good, he's really really good.

A slightly sloppy stroke by How, disappointing for him after he'd played so well.

A well-deserved 5 wicket haul for Jimmy though. He's certainly giving the selectors something to think about!

Big Harvey said:
A well-deserved 5 wicket haul for Jimmy though. He's certainly giving the selectors something to think about!

His place wasn't in danger, was it? He's had five consecutive Tests, and though he's been inconsistent, on the whole he has done well for his country in that time

hairs not a bad umpire now huh?
as far as I watched him today, all his decisions are correct.

cars112 said:
His place wasn't in danger, was it? He's had five consecutive Tests, and though he's been inconsistent, on the whole he has done well for his country in that time

Someone's going to have to make way for Flintoff...

TruSachFan said:
hairs not a bad umpire now huh?
as far as I watched him today, all his decisions are correct.

Yes must admit Hair's decisions have been top today, but the other idiot Bucknor is appalling... He stole a century from Monty, Monty was surely in for a hundred today!

Big Harvey said:
Someone's going to have to make way for Flintoff...
most likely broad maybe?
who knows, even collingwood's spot is in danger because of recent "form".

Last edited:
Players are walking off because of bad light. There are still 18 overs left
Vettori shakes Anderson's hand as they walk off
NZ 96-6 after 33.2 overs

Well Broad has to make way for Flintoff. He doesnt really look like a test match bowler. He is not ready yet.

Umpires are still out there. Light has improved a bit. No sign of resumption yet

Umpires come back out and now calling for covers. So looks like that will be the end of the day
NZ 96-6 - need 68 more to avoid follow on

5.40pm And that's stumps for the second day.

12thMan said:
Umpires come back out and now calling for covers. So looks like that will be the end of the day
NZ 96-6 - need 68 more to avoid follow on

5.40pm And that's stumps for the second day.
I dont believe you....

Flippin heck! What a day for Jimmy Anderson, after a decent score raised by Ambrose and Broad. And of course not forgetting Pietersen's contribution.

NewZees to lose by an innings?

Could be a big today - Anderson potentially on for all 10 wickets.

He is inconsistent, so he could just leak runs today, forget picking up the wickets, but if he does bowl like he did yesterday, maybe we'll see history being made?

12thMan said:
Trust me. I am reporting live

Then you must be now getting wet. :D

Its Day 3. Its Trent Bridge.

And its Start delayed by Rain!

The 1st 2 wkts that Anderson took were phenomenal deliveries!

Unplayable really.

The commentators already were speaking of ten wickets, when he only had 5 or 6... wth is that?

Mills ct in gully off Broad
NZ 123-8 - need 42 more to avoid follow-on

NZ 123 all out 1st innings. Follow on enforced
4-0 after 1 over - need 237 more to avoid innings defeat

Breaking news, ECB, Cricket Australia, BCCI, and CSA have finally reached an agreement to hold a Champions' League this autumn, involving eight teams over ten days. The two final teams will compete for $5million. Western Australia and Victoria are already in the ring for the ching-ching.

Rajasthan and Chennai, Dolphins and Titans are also qualified for the Champions' League. Wonder if they will have similar music to that which ITV use for the football

20.6 Broad to Taylor, OUT, huge shout as Taylor moves out to look to play across the line, Broad knows he's struck with the swing as he raps him in front of middle and leg
LRPL Taylor lbw b Broad 14 (23b 2x4 0x6) SR: 60.86

NZ 58-3

England are pretty bad, but New Zealand are even worse.

Easa said:
England are pretty bad, but New Zealand are even worse.

True. Sometimes games between two ordinary sides like England and New Zealand can still be exciting, but New Zealand are just playing abysmally.

cars112 said:
True. Sometimes games between two ordinary sides like England and New Zealand can still be exciting, but New Zealand are just playing abysmally.

Nz playing bad ? or eng being brilliant?

128/3

Brendon gets his fifty

Three consecutive boundaries off Sidebottom

Another boundary for Brendon off Siders, that's four in eleven balls

133-3, Brendon has moved to 61

Flynn out on 49 ct behind off Sidebottom
NZ 169-5 - trail by 72 runs

England win by an innings and 9 runs

Win the series 2-0

Well done England!

England's bowling actually looked consistently good in this game, perhaps for the first time since 2005. The batting is still cause for a certain amount of concern though. Big question marks over Bell and Collingwood in particular.

Big Harvey said:
England's bowling actually looked consistently good in this game, perhaps for the first time since 2005. The batting is still cause for a certain amount of concern though. Big question marks over Bell and Collingwood in particular.
If Flintoff isn't fit then i would still want to see a commited Harmison back!

PlanetPakistan said:
If Flintoff isn't fit then i would still want to see a commited Harmison back!

Not often you see the words "committed" and "Harmison" together in the same sentence. Except in a sentence like "Harmison isn't committed enough to playing for England to warrant a place in the team."

Big Harvey said:
Not often you see the words "committed" and "Harmison" together in the same sentence. Except in a sentence like "Harmison isn't committed enough to playing for England to warrant a place in the team."
:D

I understand it can go all wrong but against quality teams like SA and AUS they will need match winning bowlers and Harmison can certainly do the job.

PlanetPakistan said:
I understand it can go all wrong but against quality teams like SA and AUS they will need match winning bowlers and Harmison can certainly do the job.

But how often has he done the job over the last 2-3 years? Yes, Harmison was once a great bowler but that was a long time ago. Doesn't count for much in sport.

Big Harvey said:
England's bowling actually looked consistently good in this game, perhaps for the first time since 2005.

True Harvey but only a full series against Smith, Kallis etc. will tell us how good the English bowlers really are. If Anderson, Sidey etc. are running through them as well, we can say that England are a truly fine bowling unit

cars112 said:
But how often has he done the job over the last 2-3 years? Yes, Harmison was once a great bowler but that was a long time ago. Doesn't count for much in sport.
Not enough but he is certainly very talented and the time away from the game might have made him hungry for success.

PlanetPakistan said:
Not enough but he is certainly very talented and the time away from the game might have made him hungry for success.

It might make him hungry for a new central contract, but along with most other England fans who've closely followed his underperformance over the last couple of seasons, I wouldn't give him one.

I lost patience with him long before the selectors did, and so did most of the England fans who follow the team abroad. We're all familiar with his constant whining and carping about 'homesickness' when on tour (which can't be good for team morale), but when he was seen about town in Hamilton during the Test there, his body language looked absolutely fine. It was only when he had an England shirt on that he looked as if he didn't want to be there.

Back