England Vs New Zealand | 3rd Test | Trent Bridge 5/6/08

Sheikh

T20I Debutant
Runs
The kiwis have won the toss and elected to bowl on a damp, soft wicket. Here are the teams:

England : 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Andrew Strauss, 3 Michael Vaughan (capt), 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Paul Collingwood, 7 Tim Ambrose (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Ryan Sidebottom, 10 Monty Panesar, 11 James Anderson

New Zealand : 1 Jamie How, 2 Aaron Redmond, 3 Brendon McCullum, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Daniel Flynn, 6 Gareth Hopkins (wk), 7 Jacob Oram, 8 Daniel Vettori (capt), 9 Kyle Mills, 10 Iain O'Brien, 11 Chris Martin.

Get a 3rd before lunch and the kiwis will hold a slight advantage.

should be good.. england/press been abusing NZ as a bunch of odi players only

I hope NZ have some FIRE in their belly for this test

how many more innings will collingwood play?? I'm pretty sure if there was a better player in the domestics, he wouldn't be in the team.

TruSachFan said:
how many more innings will collingwood play?? I'm pretty sure if there was a better player in the domestics, he wouldn't be in the team.
Thats an easy one
Mark Ramprakash

...but unfortunately ENG have missed the train and Ramps is a bit too old now.

What's wrong with England these days? I know carrying deadweight like Anderson and Broad can't help, but decent players like Hoggard, Shah, Shreck and Tremlett are there to be picked.

A mini recovery here from England steadying the boat, 50 partnership from Pieterson and Ambrose.
135/5

KP making the Hobbits SAY HIS NAME!

5/85 to 200/5 is a pretty decent comeback.

It's so ridiculous how much test cricket England play. It's only recently that they played Sir Lanka for 3 and now the kiwis for a total of 6. Add the 4 against South Africa and that's 13 tests in like 6 months.

And we play 0 in about 15 months.

KP played a series winning innings in the last series between these 2 sides and now he is at it again.

"It's your nation, not mine" is doing pretty well at the moment eh.

Pietersen 115 out ct behind off O'Brien. Hopkins gets his first test catch
Eng 247-6 after 82.2 overs
New ball worked

Last edited:
Ambrose 67 out ct behind off O'Brien
Eng 262-7
3-4 overs left today

hahaha. commentator saying night watchman comes in for a bowler. Anderson (usually #11) comes in instead of Sidebottom

commentators are confused if he is a night watchman or promoted. He bats #11 and is coming in at regular Sidebottom. interesting debate going on there.

they are still debating. now discussing averages of #9, 10 and 11 :))

Last edited:
Official news: Night watch man.

I want to hear Big Harvey's views on this(he was upset when they sent a night watch at 3 or 4 down)

Last edited:
12thMan said:
commentators are confused if he is a night watchman or promoted. He bats #11 and is coming in at regular Sidebottom. interesting debate going on there.

they are still debating. now discussing averages of #9, 10 and 11 :))

Oi, give the bunnies some respect :p

Pietersen - always performing under pressure.

In great contrast to one or two so-called "legendary" batsmen. :D

Kevinder Petersingh showing his class....the rest of that batting order is rubbish. Hope they play in the Ashes :D

Random Aussie said:
Kevinder Petersingh showing his class....the rest of that batting order is rubbish. Hope they play in the Ashes :D
still dont understand y collingwood is still playing? oh well, hope he keeps his "blistering" form until after december :D

TruSachFan said:
still dont understand y collingwood is still playing? oh well, hope he keeps his "blistering" form until after december :D

Their entire batting line up except for Pietersingh & Cook are rubbish. Soft, massively overrated showponies who crumble at the hint of pressure.

Random Aussie said:
Their entire batting line up except for Pietersingh & Cook are rubbish. Soft, massively overrated showponies who crumble at the hint of pressure.
vaughn aint that bad. others are just waste of space.

Random Aussie said:
Soft, massively overrated showponies who crumble at the hint of pressure.

The "soft, massively overrated showpony" Collingwood made a double century against McGrath, Warne et al. in Australia, didn't he? Also Vaughan averages almost 50 against your lot. Given players like Katich, Jaques, Symonds and Haddin in your line-up, it seems a bit rich for you to be dissing England's batsmen...

cars112 said:
The "soft, massively overrated showpony" Collingwood made a double century against McGrath, Warne et al. in Australia, didn't he? Also Vaughan averages almost 50 against your lot. Given players like Katich, Jaques, Symonds and Haddin in your line-up, it seems a bit rich for you to be dissing England's batsmen...

Yes that double hundred was a great innings (on a flat Adelaide track) - then he got lots of fame and fortune and what has he done since?

And yes I will diss them we beat them 5 nil :16: It was the most expensive preparation for a Test series ever by England, they spared no expense in preparing their players and managed to lose 5 nil.

All these England players do a million interviews and talk themselves up and then don't deliver.

The innocuousness of the kiwi bowlers on display; James Flipping Anderson is on 11*

KP and ambrose saved england.. otherwise it would have been 120ish all out!!

If NZ are having success with the ball, and imagine the faster English bowlers.. see how it works out

334-7

Broad approaching 50, supported by Jimmy....

Anderson is OUT - caught behind off Oram for 28.

338-8

Last edited:
You make your own luck, kiwis should've had Broad early with McCullum missing a sitter at slip and he's made them pay. Got the real makings of a genuine allrounder has this boy.

Broad stuck on 49 for half an hour!!!!

LUNCH

341-8

this test will be a draw if nz dont get england out veryyy soon!

England: 354/8 (123.4 Ovs)
nz need to break this partnership
team is nothing without bond

Almost 300 runs for the last five wickets.

Tremendous stuff by England, but yet another opportunity blown by New Zealand - not the first time it has happened this year (both in this series and also the one in NZ). They just aren't good enough, really.

1.1 Anderson to Redmond, no run, huge appeal first up, full and swinging tempts Redmond it a drive, but it sounds as though the bat hit the ground not the ball. Good decision from Bucknor

Very good decision indeed, i really thought he was gone

and now he's gone :p

1.3 Anderson to Redmond, OUT, what a corker from Anderson, on off stump and moves away late, beats Redmond's forward poke and rips out the off stump. Redmond wouldn't have been able to play that if he'd been told it was coming, great start for England and pressure on the New Zealand top order
AJ Redmond b Anderson 1 (7b 0x4 0x6) SR: 14.28

anderson gets the big one

Anderson to McCullum, out Bowled!! That was an absolute peach! McCullum tries to clip it with the angle but the ball swings away late and uproots his off stump as he gets squared up walking into the shot! Brilliant delivery! McCullum b Anderson 9(9) [4s-1]
5.4 Anderson to McCullum, THATS OUT!! Bowled!!

NZ out by 5pm today??

bets can still be placed ;-)

Last edited:
Anderson on a roll here!

Got mccullum with a same delivery as redmond. Just beautiful!

u make sure ur standing outside the crease.. and then block - its a TEST remember not t20!

SameerM said:
u make sure ur standing outside the crease.. and then block - its a TEST remember not t20!

McCullum plays everything like T20 :D

Wow what a spell by Jimmy.... Its been ages since this sort of spell was witnessed.... That line and length is hard to play at 90mph.... I suppose this where people like Dravid would survive scoring 50 off 500 balls....... And batsman who did well at IPL would flop here big time, e.g: McCullum......

But truly good to see some decent competition between bat and ball.

Oh and Monty was clearly not out, haha. His reaction was classical. Not that his innings would have mattered but still goes to show how poor this Steve Bucknor has gone. I mean if u cant make decent decisions in a quite stadium, how will u do in a noisy one... Idiot needs to retire asap.

Got a feeling this Ross Taylor in for a 100, dont know why.... lets see if im right or wrong...

Gosh where is everyone? Am I the only one watching this England game? Come on Lads, its not that boring, save test cricket please... I know most of you are IPL'holics now but come on watch test cricket too.

Lil_weed said:
Wow what a spell by Jimmy.... Its been ages since this sort of spell was witnessed.... That line and length is hard to play at 90mph.... I suppose this where people like Dravid would survive scoring 50 off 500 balls....... And batsman who did well at IPL would flop here big time, e.g: McCullum......

But truly good to see some decent competition between bat and ball.

Funnily enough, Jimmy bowled very much like that in Mumbai in 2006 against Dravid and Co, then got injured again and didn't play for a while. He was also excellent in Wellington against NZ.

My only problem with him is his inconsistency. When he's bad, he can be very, very bad.

he has this usual ability to leak runs though. Bowled some awesome balls but also some bad ones. Need to improve on that. Don't think he'll get that many maiden overs against top class batting.

ohh was in the air for a while. Anderson couldn't get to it. the batsman tried to pull a 71.2 mph ball. WTH was he thinking?

Lil_weed said:
Gosh where is everyone? Am I the only one watching this England game? Come on Lads, its not that boring, save test cricket please... I know most of you are IPL'holics now but come on watch test cricket too.

I was at Trent Bridge yesterday. Beautiful ground, enthusiastic crowd, superb cricket in good company, and I never heard one person even mention the IPL or Twenty20 all day!

dumass taylor. Almost got out. Should have pulled away if he wasn't ready. Lucky break for him.

Big Harvey said:
I was at Trent Bridge yesterday. Beautiful ground, enthusiastic crowd, superb cricket in good company, and I never heard one person even mention the IPL or Twenty20 all day!

thank god for that, i got sick of t20 cricket... Just no competition at all on those featherbed pitches... designed to suit batsman only.... does get boring seeing so many sixers and fours...

Last edited:
Back