England vs South Africa : Which team will win?

The_Odd_One

ODI Debutant
Runs
This time the series is going to be played between England and South Africa.

It is a 5-test series and here are the venues:

1st Test Headingley
2nd Test Melbourne
3rd Test Kensington, Barbados
4th Test Nagpur
5th Test Cape Town

Which team do you think will win this series? Here are the teams:

England:
1. Graham Gooch (vc)
2. Alastair Cook (c)
3. Joe Root
4. Graham Thorpe
5. Kevin Pietersen
6. Ian Botham
7. Ben Stokes
8. Alan Knott (wk)
9. Graeme Swann
10. Bob Willis
11. James Anderson

South Africa:
1. Graeme Smith (c)
2. Gary Kirsten (vc)
3. Hashim Amla
4. Jacques Kallis
5. AB Devilliers
6. Quinton De Kock (wk)
7. Aubrey Faulkner
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Vernon Philander
10. Dale Steyn
11. Alan Donald

5-0 to South Africa. Both sides have top notch batting lineups but South Africa's pace attack outclasses England's so comprehensively it's not even funny.

I'd definitely have Graeme Pollock over ABD any day of the week in tests.

It'll be close.

Is this your attempt of all time XI? if yes English XI should be vastly different.

Aus/ WI/ SA all time XIs are fair bit ahead of everyone else.

I'd definitely have Graeme Pollock over ABD any day of the week in tests.

It'll be close.

I tried to avoid selecting an ancient as much as I could so that posters can find it easy to choose the winner team as they will have watched most of the players live or in recorded videos. Only selected old players when there was no other option.

I think bowling attack of Steyn, Donald, Pollock, Philander, and Faulkner is just too good for any team really. I think SA will win this one 5-0.

Is this your attempt of all time XI? if yes English XI should be vastly different.

Aus/ WI/ SA all time XIs are fair bit ahead of everyone else.

I know but my rule is to avoid selecting players which none has watched as much as possible.

Yes but SA has not produced a better spinner since then so his selection was unavoidable.

SA has a rich reserve of all-rounders to choose from. And Tayfied is much more recent than players from donkey's era

Gap is too huge in bowling to be a good contest. SA will win pretty much all tests.

5:0 to South Africa. Immense batting lineup backed up by a beastly pace attack would be too much for most teams.

I don't know but that RSA bowling attack seems a bit unfair. Imagine Kallis as the 6 bowler in that lineup. Beastly.

5-0 to SA..

And given the pace attack SA has, I would have Boycott/Strauss in place of Cook any day of the week.

Back