Erik ten Hag: Manchester United appoint Ajax coach as next manager

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Manchester United have appointed Ajax coach Erik ten Hag as their next manager.The Dutchman, 52, will take over from interim boss Ralf Rangnick at the end of this season on a three-year deal which can be extended by a year.

Rangnick, who replaced the sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in November, is set to move into a consultancy role.

Ten Hag will become United's fifth permanent manager since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013.

"It is a great honour to be appointed manager of Manchester United and I am hugely excited by the challenge ahead," said Ten Hag.

"I know the history of this great club and the passion of the fans, and I am absolutely determined to develop a team capable of delivering the success they deserve."

United are sixth in the Premier League with five games remaining this season, three points behind Tottenham, who occupy the fourth Champions League spot.

Ajax are top of the Dutch Eredivisie - four points clear of PSV Eindhoven - with five matches left, although they lost to their rivals in the Dutch Cup final.

Ten Hag, who took over as Ajax head coach since December 2017, led them to the league and cup double in 2018-19 and 2020-21.

They reached the semi-finals of the 2018-19 Champions League and were within a minute of making the final, only to be denied by a remarkable Tottenham comeback.

United's choice had narrowed to Ten Hag and Paris St-Germain boss Mauricio Pochettino, after Sevilla coach Julen Lopetegui had also been spoken to about the role.

Ten Hag is expected to bring in a former United coach or player as part of his backroom team, given it is unlikely the remaining link to the Solskjaer era, Mike Phelan, will remain at the club.

Ten Hag joined Ajax after two and a half years at Utrecht, having previously coached Bayern Munich's second team, where he worked with Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola.

Solskjaer was sacked following a 4-1 defeat at Watford that left United seventh in the table.

Since Rangnick officially took charge on 3 December, United have a record of nine wins, six draws and four defeats in 19 league games.

They were knocked out of the Champions League in the last 16 by Atletico Madrid and lost to Championship side Middlesbrough in the FA Cup fourth round.

After Tuesday's 4-0 league defeat by Liverpool, Rangnick said United might need as many as 10 new players this summer.

On Wednesday it was announced that chief scout Jim Lawlor and head of global scouting Marcel Bout had left the club.

United won 38 trophies during Ferguson's 26-year reign at Old Trafford, including 13 league titles, two Champions Leagues, five FA Cups and four League Cups.

However, since his departure United have won only the FA Cup under Louis van Gaal, the League Cup, Europa League and Community Shield under Jose Mourinho, and the Charity Shield under David Moyes.

Moyes, originally earmarked as Ferguson's long-term successor and given a six-year contract, was sacked in his first season in charge.

BBC

Last edited:
10Hag is coming but I doubt if he can do wonders straight away
Team is complete mess

Erik ten Hag has become Manchester United's fifth permanent manager since the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson in 2013.

During the intervening years, there have been fleeting moments when it seemed the club was moving in a forward direction.

But, right here, right now, they are further away from challenging for major honours than they have been since Ferguson first arrived at the club in the mid 1980s.

In a sense, Ten Hag is in a good position. After what has gone before, under David Moyes, Louis van Gaal, Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, there is a sense that structural issues are the real problem at Old Trafford and until they are sorted, any manager will find the job tough.

But this is also the 52-year-old's chance to prove he is capable of transitioning from highly rated coach of a famous club in a less competitive league, to one at the highest level of the game.

Clearly though, there are a number of challenges for Ten Hag to overcome.

Convince the sceptics

In what came down to a straight choice with Mauricio Pochettino, United felt Ten Hag's progressive style and willingness to work with a director of football was more in tune with what is now in place at Old Trafford.

Nevertheless, Ten Hag is stepping into an alien world.

Unlike Pochettino, he has never experienced the unique demands of English football, where energy-sapping game follows energy-sapping game, where success only increases the brutality of the schedule and where room for rest is virtually non-existent.

Ajax have had five domestic midweek matches so far. Even in a campaign where they experienced early exits in both the FA Cup and Carabao Cup, United will have at least seven this season.

In the three-week period when Ajax were enjoying their winter break, United had five games - and more called off because of Covid.

Evidently, the club's pre-season trip to Thailand - and a game against Liverpool - and Australia will be vital for Ten Hag to get his ideas across.

He needs the players to buy into his philosophy immediately as the chance of making up for lost time - at least until the World Cup when most of his players will be on international duty anyway - will be limited.

How to solve a problem like Ronaldo?

Ronaldo has scored 15 Premier League goals this season, including a hat-trick against Norwich on Saturday
Cristiano Ronaldo's enormous salary and superstardom are a magnet for attention.

The Portuguese has scored 21 goals for United this season, but unless Ten Hag finds a consistently productive way of using the 37-year-old, five-time world player of the year, or gets rid of him completely, progress will be difficult.

Either through the clear physical limitations that prevent United operating a forceful and repeated high press or the frosty relationship that has developed with Harry Maguire over the club captaincy, Ronaldo's presence is an issue for Ten Hag.

The Dutchman has never managed anyone with either the history or the ego of Ronaldo. It is essential he gets this right.

Contracts and futures

It is not that hard to come up with a list of 10 United players who could leave this summer.

Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Edinson Cavani and Juan Mata are all out of contract. Phil Jones' runs to 2023 but he has played just twice in more than two years.

Then there is goalkeeper Dean Henderson, central defender Eric Bailly and England forward Marcus Rashford, who have been the subject of intense speculation over their Old Trafford future.

Anthony Martial, Donny van de Beek and Brandon Williams were all out of favour when they were loaned out to Sevilla, Everton and Norwich respectively.

Amad Diallo has done nothing in his loan spell at Rangers to suggest he is a United first-team player, while Mason Greenwood remains unavailable for selection.

Even if not all the named players end up leaving, there are going to be sizeable holes to fill although Patrick Vieira used a similar lack of resource to dramatically improve Crystal Palace last summer.

Finding the right quality at United may not be quite so easy.

Meeting expectations

Manchester United have not won a major trophy since the Europa League in 2017
On the face of it, finishing in the top four and winning a domestic cup would represent an excellent return for United in Ten Hag's first season.

United have won nothing since their 2017 Europa League success under Mourinho - their longest period without silverware since the barren spell between 1977 and 1983.

If, as expected, they fail to finish in the top four this season, next term will be the fourth time out of nine they have not been involved in the Champions League.

Correcting these statistics is one of the reasons why some argue Ten Hag needs to be given time to implement his ideas and bring about tangible improvement at a club for whom winning used to be second nature.

But this is Manchester United. The noise around Old Trafford is immense. Ten Hag needs early results to prove he is the right man for the job.

Four games without a win tends to lead to talk of a crisis and that will not change. Time will only be granted externally with positive performances.

Recruitment is key

It is clear United's recruitment - bolstered significantly in the final years of Ed Woodward's time as executive vice-chairman - is a major issue.

Quite aside from Ronaldo's arrival, which came after Solskjaer had spent months persuading Cavani to stay at the club for an extra year to be the major attacking focal point - there are the contracts for the likes of Bailly and Jones.

These were handed out, seemingly, for no logical reason other than to try and earn a transfer fee for players who evidently had no long-term future at Old Trafford.

Few recent purchases have impressed and those who did initially, like Maguire and Aaron Wan-Bissaka, regressed to the extent of losing their place in the side in the latter's case, and face widespread calls to be dropped in the former.

Interim boss Ralf Rangnick has highlighted the continuity that has helped make Manchester City and Liverpool.

It was accepted even before this sorry season unfolded that United needed a defensive midfielder and that remains the case.

Somehow, despite committing over £180m on Maguire, Raphael Varane, Victor Lindelof and Bailly since 2016, United are still weak in central defence.

They also need a world-class striker - and much more from the players they already have.

BBC

I think with Manchester United no matter who they bring in, they need to ensure he’s given at least 3-5 years to build his ideas through.

The amount of players that need to be removed or have to change performance drastically is just too high currently.

If he manages to even get this united team to compete and look like the threat they used to be will be a massive achievement.

Erik ten Hag will go to Manchester United as an outsider tasked with implementing cultural change at one of the world’s most famous clubs. But that is a job that he has done before.

At Ajax, they mocked his accent. He was a Tukker - a man from the east of the country, a region known for a down-to-earth approach. There were those in sophisticated Amsterdam who did not believe the great Ajax had anything to learn from him. They were wrong.

Two domestic doubles and one kick away from a Champions League final later and there is an acceptance Ten Hag has brought some of the best football that Ajax has seen in years. His methods have delivered success, his manner has won over the doubters.

The ascent to perhaps the biggest job in football might feel swift but his progress has been steady, methodically planned to maximise his skill set. At 52, he has been a youth coach and a head of education, an assistant at home and abroad, and a manager at various levels.

In a series of interviews with former teammates, those who played with him as a teenager and were later captained by him, with players who he led to promotion in his first head coaching role, a picture emerges of an original thinker, a motivator and a disciplinarian.

Raised in north Haaksbergen, a small town not far from the city of Enschede, life was idyllic in those early years. Jumpers for goalposts, football until dark. Ten Hag was good enough at it to shine when playing for Bon Boys, the local club where he is still a member.

Leon ten Voorde, a childhood friend turned journalist, remembers a cheerful boy and a rebellious teenager, not the strict disciplinarian obsessed with detail. But Ten Hag was captain of Bon Boys, nevertheless. Leadership was in his genes, according to Ten Voorde.

Boudewijn Pahlplatz recalls it the same way. When Ten Hag was picked up by FC Twente, the biggest club in the region, Pahlplatz played alongside him for the youth team, the reserves and eventually the first team, across two different spells at Twente.

"After that, we even worked together when he was the head of education and I was a coach," Pahlplatz tells Sky Sports. They last spoke in the summer at a reunion to mark 20 years since Twente won the KNVB Cup for only the second time in their history.

"When I came back to Twente, I was not really fit anymore because I had some problems with my muscles and Erik was the captain. He was an average player, but he was a good team player. Even when he was playing, he was already a coach, always knowing better."

In a team that included Netherlands international Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and those such as Pahlplatz who had enjoyed greater success at PSV Eindhoven, not everyone appreciated this central defender who was barking orders at them from the back.

"That was not always popular with the players because he was not the best player. When you are not the best player, it is hard for the better players to accept it. But he was thinking like a coach and the truth is that he always had the best tactical thoughts.

"Twenty years on, you can see that he was right all along."

'He has built his career very carefully'
The playing journey with Twente that had begun when they were teenagers ended for Pahlplatz and Ten Hag in 2002, but the latter moved seamlessly into a coaching role with the U17 side. He did that for a season before assuming control of the U19 group.

There were early signs of his dedication. Wout Brama, now back at Twente but then an academy player, recalls wondering what they were up against when Ten Hag's first decision was to cut their holiday short by two weeks. Impact was quick. Progress was steady.

"He built his career very carefully," says Pahlplatz.

Ten Hag was later an assistant under Fred Rutten, then Steve McClaren, before following Rutten to PSV for three seasons. It was in the summer of 2012, aged 42 and after a decade of coaching, that he took his first head coaching job with Go Ahead Eagles.

"It has been step by step, developing his own philosophy and his own way of playing. That is very good. These days you see too many old players who immediately want to run a first team. That is very hard. You have to be so good that it is only for some players."

The opportunity at Eagles was not an obvious one. This was a club that had been relegated from the Eredivisie in 1996 and stayed in the second tier for the subsequent 16 seasons. Standards had slipped, expectations had dipped. Ten Hag soon changed that.

He changed the mentality at the club'
Sjoerd Overgoor was not optimistic when he found out Ten Hag would be his new head coach. The young midfielder was trying to make his way in the game after being released by Twente as a teenager. One of the men responsible for that decision? Ten Hag.

"He had been the head of the youth academy at Twente when I was sent away and told that I was not good enough," Overgoor tells Sky Sports. "I had a contract at Go Ahead Eagles so you can imagine how I felt when it was announced. But it went completely differently."

At the end of that season, there were celebrations on the pitch and in the stands as the club's 17-year wait to play in the Eredivisie would soon be at an end. Nobody there was in any doubt about the identity of the man who had been the main factor in that success.

"It was the most special day of my career," says Overgoor. "I am not a great player, but because of Erik ten Hag I played in the highest division. He is the best coach that I have ever had. He was the reason. You don't see coaches that good in the second division."

Bart Vriends was part of the Eagles team, arriving on loan from Utrecht that winter to strengthen the defence. That season is fresh in his mind because he has been working on a documentary about it, the central figure interviewing teammates - and Ten Hag.

Every player tells him the same thing. "What really came out from those conversations with everyone involved was that Erik ten Hag changed the professionalism at the club in just a couple of weeks at the start of pre-season," Vriends tells Sky Sports.

"This was a small mid-table second division club in a small city in the east. It grew into something else when he was in charge. He changed the mentality in the club. He changed the mentality of the players and the people who worked there. From day one, actually."

Everything needs to be perfect with him'
Ten Hag is fastidious. One of the first things he noticed was that the woman in charge of the kits at the club would bring out drinks and set them out on the table inside the dressing room. "She would put the drinks there just randomly," says Vriends.

This was a problem for Ten Hag.
"He wanted the drinks put out in straight lines. Everything had to be perfect in his eyes. People needed time to get used to that."

There are so many stories like this.
"We had one man whose job it was to look after the pitch," says Overgoor. "Every day Erik would be coming to him and saying that the grass had to be two millimetres or something like that. That was a big difference for everyone at the club. He changed everything.

"Remember, this is not a big club in Holland. We did not have the best facilities but he made them the best. A lot of coaches come to clubs like Eagles and have the attitude that they have to deal with it. He did not deal with it. Instead, he made it better and better."

Detail was everything, as Overgoor found out in pre-season.

"We did a lot of ball work, but a few times in the afternoon we would have to run in the woods in groups. He would say that we had to run a certain distance in two minutes. We wanted to prove ourselves to him so our group did it in one minute and 50 seconds.

"He said, 'No. If I tell you to run for two minutes I don't want you to take two minutes and 10 seconds but I also don't want you to run for one minute and 50 seconds. Two minutes is two minutes. He was like that. If you did not stick to the plan you had a problem."

'He was 10 years ahead of his time'
Some of the stories about Ten Hag make him sound like a tough taskmaster, but there was another side to his coaching. He was an innovator intent on raising standards. That meant placing demands on players, but also providing them with a better environment.

Vriends had arrived from Utrecht. "A bigger and more fashionable club back then." But the attention to detail was still a surprise to him. "He put beds in the dressing room so we could rest and sleep in between the two training sessions. That was really new at that time."

Video analysis helped take things to another level. "It was the first time that I had experienced that. Remember, this was 10 years ago at Go Ahead Eagles. After matches, we would go to his room individually and be shown our clips. He was never satisfied."

One seemingly trivial example is cited by both of his former players, clearly leaving an impression. "He put a window in his office door," remembers Overgoor. "We were all saying to each other that he was doing that so he could see what we were doing."

Ten Hag later revealed the real reason.
"He said, 'No, if the door is closed and there is no window it is difficult to come in because maybe I am busy and people will not want to knock. Now people will see if I am free and that makes it easier to come in.' These were the details that he thought about.

"That was really impressive to me. It was something I had not seen before."
Vriends agrees. "He had put this big glass window in just so that it made things more transparent, helping with communication. It is a little example of how he changed the thinking."

'He would talk us through tactical patterns'

Ten Hag had to do more than change the thinking, he had to change the results. That process also began in pre-season but took rather longer to perfect. Before the wins started to come, there were hours and hours of work put in on the training ground.

"We played a lot of 11 against zero," recalls Overgoor. The team would line up as they would for a game but with no opposition in place, practising how they intended to move the ball around the pitch. It is a favourite of coaches but not too much fun for the players.

"Every time we would start with the goalkeeper and he would talk us through the patterns of how we could attack. He wanted diagonal balls. Every time that we played a straight ball he would stop us and make us do it again. He was very strict in terms of what he wanted.

"After four weeks of 11 against zero we were thinking, 'What is this? It is so boring.' But after a couple of months of the season, there were matches where we knew what we had to do and everyone was seeing it the same way. It was really clear and it was working."

By the time that Vriends arrived in January, Ten Hag had established his idea and the mood had changed. "There were really interesting coaching sessions," he says. Overgoor agrees. "We became confident in our style of play and it became better and better."

That style was 4-3-3. "Like at Ajax," adds Overgoor. "Sometimes he made changes at half-time but nothing weird. Maybe one midfielder had to come 10 metres deeper to gain more ball possession. That is his big quality. He knows how to change it to become better."

'He was able to keep the whole squad happy'

Perhaps influenced by having been released at Twente, Overgoor thought Ten Hag had a problem with him at first. "He would shout at me," he recalls. "I thought that he did not like me. Other players recognise it too and they said the same thing to me."

It took a conversation to clear the air. "I asked him what I was doing wrong because he was always shouting at me. He told me that I was the sort of guy who was happy with 90 per cent but if I was angry I could give even more and would improve.

"Once he told me that, I knew that when he shouted he just wanted more. I had been negative but it turned into a positive. He believed in me but felt I had more to give."

Man management was usually reserved for football matters.

"A lot of the time it is only about football, not about family or something else. Every day he wanted to talk about football and improve, improve, improve. But he knew what every player needed and that is a good thing to have as a coach."

Vriends remembers it the same way. "I have not seen him a lot with a relaxed kind of vibe, up for a laugh or a chilled training session. He is always really serious. But I guess that is just the standard of top-level football. It took us a while to get into that. But it worked."

Harsh but fair is a mantra that wins respect in the dressing room. "Every single player in that squad, even the ones on the bench, were really happy with him actually," adds Vriends.

Pahlplatz also notes that ability to unite a squad.

At Ajax, a club that has had its divisions in the past, the atmosphere among the group has rarely been a problem.
"He was always good with players. He always protects them. He can be hard with players but players are always very positive about him - even players who don't play or players who leave to go to another club. They all say he is a good coach and a good person."

'We knew he was too good to stay'

After promotion with Go Ahead Eagles, there was some frustration when Ten Hag decided not to continue the journey with them in the Eredivisie and instead moved to Bayern Munich, taking their reserve team while Pep Guardiola coached the seniors.

"I was surprised and a little bit disappointed because I knew he would make me a better player," says Overgoor. "But he was too good for us so it was normal that he would leave. It is the same with players. If they are too good, they leave. He was too good to stay.

"We were lucky because in the first year of the Eredivisie we had nine of the same 11 players, so in that first year without him we played exactly how Erik wanted us to play. That is why we stayed in the highest division that year, I think."

There is less surprise at the success that Ten Hag has enjoyed since. "I knew he had it in him. We knew he was special. He went to Bayern Munich and then to Utrecht."

Vriends even played a part in him moving there.

"I remember the board at Utrecht contacted me because they wanted some information about this guy who they wanted as their new head coach. I was only positive about it. They took him and it was a massive success. It did not surprise me at all.

"I guess I should have been paid for that. I would be rich."

He just adapts to the players that he has'
Ten Hag has had to evolve since those Go Ahead Eagles days. At Utrecht, he moved away from his 4-3-3 formation to utilise two strikers instead. It worked again. They finished fifth in his first season and fourth in his second - taking the club into Europe.
"I think he just adapts to the players that he has," says Vriends. "We had wingers on the sides and played an attacking, dominant, passing game. At Utrecht, he changed formation to suit the players that he had. He did not really stick to this Dutch style of football."

At Ajax, he did return to that 4-3-3 formation but put his own twist on things - on and off the pitch. He had to convince a club, one with a very clear philosophy about how things should be done, that he had ideas of his own. It took time but that is what he did.

"At the beginning there too, people needed to get used to him," says Vriends. "He was this serious man from the east of the country with this funny accent. It did not really seem to fit with Ajax at first. But within weeks it was all good. He changed the mentality.

"I think he actually changed the standards at the club."

'He will need time and patience to succeed'

A recurring theme of Ten Hag's career has been proving people wrong. That will be a challenge at Manchester United for various reasons. Patience is a virtue but the Premier League is full of sinners. Will he be given the time? Even his admirers doubt that.

"If you have a board who do not have patience it could be done after a few months," says Overgoor. "But the board trusted him at Utrecht and at Ajax and you see what happens next. It was the same at Eagles. It was up and down. After that, it was up, up and up.

"At Ajax, they had the patience. I don't know if Manchester United has that patience if the results do not come in the first few months because there is so much more going on. If he is given the time he will do the job. He has shown everywhere that he is good enough."

Those training-ground methods might be an issue, says Pahlplatz.

"He does a lot of repetition. That was almost a problem for him in the beginning at Utrecht and Ajax. He trained them very hard and very long to get his philosophy into the players. That takes hours. The Utrecht and Ajax players were not used to that.

"He brought a new philosophy and that was a struggle for him at first. He demands so much of the players.

Afterwards, you can see that it pays off. At the beginning, to convince players of his ideas is difficult. But you see how he has Ajax playing now, it is unbelievable."

Overgoor does not expect those 11 versus zero sessions to be repeated. "He had to do it with us because we were not as good and needed some patterns to build on. He does not make Dusan Tadic and Daley Blind do 11 versus zero, they have more freedom.

"I don't think he will be telling Cristiano Ronaldo what to do."

'How will he cope with English football?'

That thought is a reminder that Manchester United is different. Pahlplatz remembers his conversations with McClaren at Twente. "He used to tell us how it was with the media there. It is 24 hours a day at Manchester United. It is something you have to get used to.

"There are only a few Dutch coaches who have been at the biggest clubs in the world like Manchester United. Louis van Gaal was there, Leo Beenhakker and Guus Hiddink at Real Madrid, Johan Cruyff and Ronald Koeman at Barcelona. This is the level we are talking.

"He knows German football. He knows Dutch football. How will he cope with English football and all that comes with it?
"That is the interesting question. Will he deal with it?"

Fresh from spending an hour with Ten Hag reminiscing about their time together at Go Ahead Eagles, Vriends is convinced his old boss will adapt, just as he has to every previous challenge.

"I sound like his agent but I think this is a really wise choice by Manchester United to go for him. It seems like a tough club to manage but I do think it is a wise decision.
"His success has not surprised me at all.

He is still the best manager that I have seen in my career and he has taken every step since then. For me, that season together was huge. One to remember. For him, it was just the beginning of his coaching career."

It was the making of Erik ten Hag.

https://news.sky.com/story/erik-ten...lained-in-detail-12589221?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Man Utd: Erik ten Hag must perform 'open heart operation'- Ralf Rangnick

Incoming Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag must perform an "open heart operation" rather than fixing "minor cosmetic things", says interim boss Ralf Rangnick.

Ten Hag will take charge at the end of a season that has seen United face strong criticism over performances.

Rangnick said it is "vital" they sign the "best possible players" to change the "attitude and energy".

"We need positive energy for the new team and the new manager," he said.

"If he gets that, if the right lessons are being learned, this could be one of the few good things about the season we are going through.

"At least you know which kind of screws we need to turn, things we need to change, and, if that happens, why should Erik ten Hag not be able to be as successful as he was at Ajax?

"It's not the manager's quality - it's changing all the other things that have brought the club into a position we are in right now.

"The good thing - one of the few - is it's crystal clear. You don't even need glasses to see the problems.

"Now it's only about how you can solve them. Not minor cosmetic things. This is an open heart operation. If everyone realises this has to happen and works together, it doesn't need to take years.

"It can happen within one year. Other clubs have shown it's possible within three transfer windows."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61197195

Erik ten Hag making Manchester United plans ahead of becoming manager, but focused on Ajax

Ajax boss Erik ten Hag says he is spending time making plans for Manchester United ahead of becoming manager at the end of the season.

Ten Hag, who was confirmed by United as their new manager on Thursday, still has to decide on who will be part of his coaching staff at Old Trafford and is facing a big summer of recruitment with many players expected to leave.

But he still has a title race to win in the Eredivisie with Ajax, who secured a late 1-0 victory over NEC on Saturday afternoon to move seven points clear of PSV at the top of the table, although PSV later won their game at Cambuur to return to within four points.

Speaking after the game, Ten Hag said: "I always keep focused on the job I have to do, it doesn't matter what's around me."

Pressed on whether he had spent time organising his plans for United, Ten Hag added: "You always spend time on the future, but my head and my energy is for Ajax."

While Ajax march towards a third title in four years, United's chances of qualifying for next season's Champions League took a significant blow on Saturday as they lost 3-1 at Arsenal.

They are now six points adrift of Arsenal in fourth, with four games left to play.

But Ten Hag refused to discuss the struggles of his future team, saying: "I don't have any opinion about Man Utd's results because I show respect for people who are at Man Utd, and I am for responsible for Ajax and that is what I comment on."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ahead-of-becoming-manager-but-focused-on-ajax

United are absolutely in their worst shape since before Fergie took over from Ron Atkinson in the 1980s.

This is easily the most embarrassing United squad of my lifetime: in terms of capability for one thing, but also with regards to the disinterest and the laziness, a lack of teamwork, players being distracted and woefully out of form (Rashford / Maguire / Pogba), poor individual conduct, and worst of all a glaring absence of heart and resilience that has virally contaminated the performances.

Ronaldo and De Gea aside, they have been unacceptable.

It has been a slow death and in the end a dramatically awful decline.

Going back to the treble-winning United side of 1998/99, even their second XI had numerous decent players such as Van Der Gouw, Brown, Henning Berg, Ronny Johnsen, Blomqvist, Teddy Sheringham and Ole, and they would be doing far better in the modern Premier League than this disgraceful bunch.

The ownership and senior leadership need to be realistic about their current position as a club and not just sack Erik Ten Hag if they go on a bit of a bad run.

Ralf Rangnick is astute and articulate, and he has developed a pretty good idea of where United are (aren’t) at the moment. He has been very open in the media around his analysis of how poor the team is and he is due to stay on, moving upstairs as a Consultant. I think this will be the right move from a United perspective if they are serious about improving their fortunes in the long term.

Ten Hag meanwhile has earned a three-year contract, and he will need to be unequivocally given the full three years as a minimum in order to have a chance of sorting out all of the problems at United.

It’s not even about winning trophies at the moment for them — it is more about successfully rebooting the team and turning a hard corner, and first concentrating on the maintenance of their status as a top tier global football club and surviving this ongoing storm.

Man United could be without European football for the first time since 1982 that's 40 years how badly they've regressed absence of European football will definitely impact on brand value

Correction they also missed out in 2014 after the experiment of chosen one

Probably one of the toughest jobs in football now this.

The squad needs a complete overhaul whilst the fans are becoming restless and impatient. So many players who are just picking up a paycheck and not trying their best.

Many players not fit to wear the shirt.

Probably one of the toughest jobs in football now this.

The squad needs a complete overhaul whilst the fans are becoming restless and impatient. So many players who are just picking up a paycheck and not trying their best.

Many players not fit to wear the shirt.

Spot on.

Imo the directors were more interested in spending big money on players with a big name , rather than bringing in players who will play in the way the manager/team would like.

ten-Hag is a huge job esp if he wants to play in the Ajax way or like City & LFC. Utd simply dont have enough fit, quick players for pressing.

Although he's not expected to win anything in his first season, he is expected to reach top 4. With the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham all improving it will be very tough for Utd next season.

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand was on BBC Breakfast earlier and even mentioned Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, after being asked if Erik ten Hag coming in as United's new manager will turn things around at Old Trafford.

"Personally, I don’t think a manager will be the answer," he said. "It's going to have to be a collective fight and bringing all of the components and players together around the management and recruitment. Recruitment especially, that's going to need sorting out, but the culture at the football club has to be improved and changed."

On whether Klopp being successful at Liverpool is just down to him: "Behind him there are people doing fabulous work and that's facilitated [the success]. Klopp is front and centre but without the support of the whole system [it wouldn't happen]."

Erik ten Hag: New Manchester United boss suggests he will start job on Monday after finishing with Ajax

Erik ten Hag has suggested he will begin work as Manchester United boss on Monday after admitting “there is a lot of work to be done” at Old Trafford.

Ten Hag, who was appointed United manager last month, took charge of his final game as Ajax boss on Sunday with a 2-2 draw at Vitesse, having already led them to the Eredivisie title.

But following the game, the 52-year-old said he will not be part of Ajax's post-season trip to Curacao as he turns his attention to the United job.

He said: "Yes, there will be a party tomorrow [Monday] with the entire staff, but that will be it then.

"No, I will not be joining them [to Curacao]. That is correct, I think that's understandable.

"There's a lot of work to be done there [at United]. Of course. There's a lot of work at every club. A manager's job is especially focused on the preparations for next season. And there's a lot of work to be done in that regard.

"Regarding the staff, there are several things that need to be organised. And also regarding the team and over the next several days, or actually as of tomorrow [Monday], we will be focusing on that intensively."

The Dutchman is reportedly keen to bring his assistant from Ajax, Mitchell van der Gaag with him, as well as include Steve McClaren, a former assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at United, as part of his coaching staff.

United are sixth in the Premier League with a win at Crystal Palace on the final day of the season guaranteeing Europa League football next season, although if they lose they could finish seventh.

Meanwhile interim boss Ralf Rangnick, who was appointed Austria manager last month, is set to move into a consultancy role at United.

Ten Hag, who signed a three-year deal at United which can be extended by a year, will become the club's fifth permanent manager since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...start-job-on-monday-after-finishing-with-ajax

Erik ten Hag insists Cristiano Ronaldo will play a key role for him at Manchester United next season, describing the player as ‘a giant’.

The incoming head coach has ended his Ajax tenure early, in order to get a head start on rebuilding the Red Devils.

While Ten Hag’s reign won’t officially start until the current Premier League season ends, the Dutchman has plenty of work to do as he looks to oversee a radical transformation of the playing squad and will begin his preparations this week.

Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic, Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard are among those certain to move on, while a number of other players have been linked with a possible exit.

Despite scoring 24 goals for United this term, Ronaldo has been tipped as one player who could make way this summer, but according to ten Hag, the 37-year-old’s status cannot be questioned.

Speaking after his final match with Ajax on Sunday, Ten Hag told De Telegraaf: “Ronaldo is a giant, because of what he’s already shown and I think he’s still very ambitious.

“Of course I would like to keep him. He’s been very important to Manchester United this year and can produce great statistics.”

Ronaldo also had some positive words to say about Ten Hag in an interview with Manchester United’s official website.

He said: “What I know about him is he did a fantastic job for Ajax, that he’s an experienced coach.

“But we need to give him time. Things need to change the way he wants.

“I hope we have success, of course, because, if you have success, all of Manchester is going to have success as well. I wish him the best.

“We are happy and excited, not only as players, but the supporters as well.

“I wish him the best and let’s believe that, next year, we are going to win trophies.”

https://talksport.com/football/1110400/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-erik-ten-hag/

The dynamic between Cristiano and ETH will be interesting to see, if he stays at United that is.

While many on SM have commented on how they wont work, think ETH would like a challenge, to try and make Cristiano the key around which he can rally the players.

Erik Ten Hag says taking Manchester United job is not a risk to his reputation

Erik ten Hag says he is not risking his managerial reputation by taking the Manchester United job.

The Dutchman, 52, is United's fifth permanent boss since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013.

"I don't see it as a risk," he said. "I think this club has a great history, and now let's make a future."

Ten Hag also suggested Cristiano Ronaldo would not be leaving, adding he expected there to be goals from the Portugal forward next season.

The former Ajax boss was speaking to reporters at his official unveiling as United manager 24 hours after watching his new club lose 1-0 at Crystal Palace on the final day of the season.

Their points tally of 58, though good enough to secure sixth and a place in the Europa League, is their poorest return since 1989-1990 and comes just a year after they finished second behind Manchester City.

Ten Hag did not say how many players he felt the club needed to bring in over the summer, instead answering that he was still "in the process of analysing" his squad.

"The plan is huge and we only have a short time," he added.

"I'm looking forward to working with these players. The season before, this squad was second in the league, so there is huge potential. I think if we improve, if we work with them, I think we can get out more than what was the result from this season."

Ten Hag also did not give any guarantees over Harry Maguire remaining as captain.

"Next season is a different season but he did a great job," he said of the England international. "He's a great player he achieved already a lot so I'm looking forward to working with him."

Asked if 37-year-old Ronaldo, who finished as United's top scorer with 24 goals, was part of his plans, he replied "of course".

Klopp-Guardiola era 'can come to an end'
It is now nine years since Manchester United last lifted the Premier League, with the title race now dominated by Pep Guardiola's Manchester City and Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, who have won the last five titles between them.

Ten Hag, though, is hopeful he can break their stranglehold on the trophy.

"In this moment I admire them both," he said. "They play fantastic football but you will always see an era can come to an end.

"I look forward to a battle with them and I'm sure other clubs will want to do that."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61552274

Former Man Utd boss Louis van Gaal: Ed Woodward's exit could be difference for Erik ten Hag at United

Louis van Gaal has suggested Ed Woodward's departure from Manchester United presents Erik ten Hag with the opportunity to be successful at Old Trafford

Holland boss Van Gaal took a remarkable swipe at former executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward ahead of his side's Nations League game against Wales in Cardiff.

Van Gaal, who managed United between 2014 and 2016 before being sacked, warned fellow Dutchman Ten Hag about the dangers of going to Old Trafford in March.

He said Ten Hag should consider turning down the manager's job there because United are a "commercial club" and he would be "better going to a football club".

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ould-be-difference-for-erik-ten-hag-at-united

Erik ten Hag exclusive: Manchester United manager on Frenkie de Jong, an intense pre-season and more

Erik ten Hag says the first three weeks of pre-season with Manchester United have been "so far, so good", but admits he would have liked all signings in place by now as their pursuit Frenkie De Jong runs on.

United returned to training on Monday, June 27 and flew out to Thailand 12 days later, where they beat Liverpool 4-0 in Bangkok.

They then moved onto Australia for the second leg of their tour, where they came from behind to thump Melbourne Victory 4-1, with friendlies against Crystal Palace and Aston Villa next up later this week.

Sky Sports' Melissa Reddy reported earlier on Monday that United players are feeling 'physically fit and mentally sharper' since Ten Hag took over at Old Trafford and, in an exclusive interview, the Dutchman admitted he was impressed - but not yet satisfied - with what he has seen from the group.

"I see they respond well, and every session they give maximum, and that is also transferred into the game," he said.

"I am not satisfied, I think they have to bring more, but it will not come overnight. It takes time, it's a process.

"The demand is they have to get more fit than they are now. But we are building it, it's also the responsibility of the players themselves to be fit.

"They've responded really well but I know we are in the start of a process, and it takes time. We need the full pre-season, minimum, but I know also at the start of the season we will not be ready, but I know also at the start we will need results."

As Ten Hag has set about remoulding the squad after predecessor Ralf Rangnick oversaw a third sixth-place finish in six seasons last term, Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez have joined the club so far this summer, representing an outlay of around £72m.

The latter pair have joined within the last week and the United boss - who wanted to bring in reinforcements in defence and midfield this summer, following the departures of Jesse Lingard, Paul Pogba, Juan Mata, Nemanja Matic and Andreas Pereira - has outlined what the new recruits can bring.

He continued: "Eriksen is an experienced player, he's played in Holland, Italy and especially England with Spurs, so a long career and also a lot of caps for the Danish national squad. I think the whole Premier League knows what he can do, what he can contribute to the team, and I would call that creativity.

"Martinez is a different type. He's a warrior, he brings aggressiveness, but he can also play football and has a good left foot. That is also what you need in the balance of the team, players who can create and also players who can defend.

"The defending part, we want to be proactive, and to be in the highest intensity defending. We are now three weeks on our way, and we are working on the defending part as well to be proactive."

It is, however, the long-running pursuit of Frenkie de Jong that remains front and centre of the club's summer plans.

United and Barcelona have a broad agreement in place for a £72m deal to bring the 25-year-old to Manchester, but with a conclusion nowhere in sight, Ten Hag admitted that he would have liked the club's business to have been wrapped up already.

"That's for sure," he said.

"The best and the most perfect situation is when you start pre-season with the squad fully equipped, but most of the time that's not the fact of football, so I am realistic and I have to deal with the fact."

In the meantime, existing members of the squad, including Fred, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford, have turned in eye-catching displays in the two friendly outings to date.

Young prospects such as Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage appear to have taken first-team duties in their stride, too, and Ten Hag's words suggest this season will offer a chance to wipe the slate clean.

"Every new season is a new start," he added. "Of course there is a past, but we don't have to look back at the past, we have to look into the future.

"Those players have high potential, and when we construct a team, and they take the responsibility for their fitness, I am sure they will perform, and we will get the right results.

"I think it's always a matter of developing. That's with experienced players and with younger players. I am a coach, I am not afraid, if players are good enough and are old enough, I will play them.

"We set a high standard, and values, and the team respond to it. We are happy with that."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...renkie-de-jong-an-intense-pre-season-and-more

Bruno Fernandes: Man Utd midfielder welcomes Erik ten Hag's 'strict' management style and 'clear' philosophy

Bruno Fernandes has welcomed Erik ten Hag's "strict" management style and believes the Dutchman's "clear" philosophy can make Manchester United successful again.

Ten Hag has enjoyed a positive start to his new job since replacing interim coach Ralf Rangnick at the end of last season, with United thrashing Liverpool in his first pre-season game in Thailand, before also overseeing wins over Melbourne Victory and Crystal Palace in Australia.

Fernandes, who has impressed in those friendly matches, praised the 52-year-old's no-nonsense and hands-on approach and says his ruthless attitude keeps the whole squad on their toes.

"He wants his rules, he demands a lot from us and he wants everyone on the same page doing the same things," Fernandes told Sky Sports News ahead of Saturday's friendly against Aston Villa in Perth.

"Everyone knows they have to be pushing to the same side and if not, they will be out of the team. That's a good thing because if you want to be successful as a team you have to be always in the same way.

"He brings discipline but he also gives players the freedom to make choices. He has his own rules we have to follow, but he also wants to give some responsibility to the older ones.

"He's strict, he's tough, but at the same time, he's a nice and easy guy to chat to.

"The main thing is following what he wants because I think he has a straight line that he wants to have with the team and I want to follow that straight line because I think we can be successful that way.

"If everyone understands that we have to follow the rules, follow what the coach demands and what the team demands, everyone will be on the same page, so that's what will make the team successful.

"I think everyone will be happy at the end of the season if we can do everything he wants us to do."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-strict-management-style-and-clear-philosophy

A warm welcome to the Erik Ten Hag era!

Erik ten Hag: I'm the man to restore the glory days to Manchester United

Without even a moment's hesitation, Erik ten Hag says with utter certainty: "I'm convinced I'll get it done - I did it everywhere."

The new Manchester United manager was responding to a question on how long he needs to bring the glory days back to Old Trafford and his answer had echoes of that which Jurgen Klopp gave in his first press conference after being appointed Liverpool manager seven years ago.

On that occasion, the German caused a few raised eyebrows when he predicted: "If I sit here in four years, I am pretty confident we will have one title."

Klopp, who was taking over a side languishing down in 10th place in the Premier League, was wrong, although only by 12 months.

But will Ten Hag - who won three Eredivisie titles, including two league and cup doubles in four full seasons as Ajax boss - be afforded such time at United?

"I cannot ask the fans to be patient - I hope they will be - because they want to see a winning team and that is why I am here, but I have to produce it," he said when we sat down to discuss his team's start to the new season. "But the process takes time, it is what it is."

This is five days after United laboured to a 2-1 home defeat to Brighton - the Seagulls' first-ever victory at Old Trafford - to kick off the Ten Hag reign, although luckily the Dutchman operates a "24-hour rule - you celebrate, or moan, after that you move on".

There was much that still pleased the new man, even in defeat, including his side's response to going 2-0 down in the first half and how they improved on the ball in the second period, while the source of the goal that gave United hope of a comeback also encouraged him.

"The goal we make, last season we were not that good in set plays, so we make a goal out of set plays and that is really positive," he said.

Read more: https://www.skysports.com/football/...o-restore-the-glory-days-to-manchester-united

He'll be wondering what's hit him at Man Utd.

Some different players, different manager, but same old rubbish.

What a mess this club is.

Even a successful and clearly good, intelligent coach looks like he will have an almost impossible job on at United to even achieve a mildly respectable league position by May next year.

A club at rock bottom.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🗣️ "You have to take responsibility as a team and as a player...we didn't do that."<br><br>Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag says his side let the supporters 'down' after a 4-0 defeat to Brentford. 🔴⤵️ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MUFC?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MUFC</a><a href="https://t.co/v7IX2YRxbx">pic.twitter.com/v7IX2YRxbx</a></p>— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1558547044897357824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At this point I have started to feel bad for their supporters.

A historic club ruined by wealthy owners who don't give a damn about football, players who don't deserve to watch a game at Old Trafford leading the team and the captaincy, and absolutely no will to change after an awful last season.

The fact that an amateur level player like Maguire is leading the team despite being by far the worst player of the team last season tells everything about the club.

That has to be the worse UTD performance ive ever seen, lacked leadership, quality, work ethic, and no confidence at All. I fear complete humiliation at the hands of scousers next week!

United wanted Poch but when he didn't win the CL, he lost credibility. They then went for the Dutch guy, but unless things improve quickly, his reign will be very short.

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says he and his players have to take responsibility for their poor performance in their 4-0 loss at Brentford.

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag says he and his players have to take responsibility for their poor performance in their 4-0 loss at Brentford.

Well, bill from down the road isn’t going to take responsibility for that performance is he?

Erik Ten Hag wanted to make the #MUFC players run 13.8km during their extra training session today... which is how much further Brentford’s players collectively ran further than them

Erik Ten Hag wanted to make the #MUFC players run 13.8km during their extra training session today... which is how much further Brentford’s players collectively ran further than them

Shocking actually.

The close man-marking by the Bees was displayed on MotD. Why did De Gea made that short pass to Eriksen who Jensen was glued to, when there were unmarked options to pass to?

Each Man U player was forced to do the 13.8km. A military-style early morning flogging. Very old school football management.

Man U’s next game is against Liverpool, they will comprehensively lose again.

Manchester United walked out to face Liverpool amid a mood of insurrection and undisguised pessimism - then walked off to noisy acclaim as the Erik ten Hag era was ignited on a memorable night of sound and fury at Old Trafford.

United's supporters marched in their thousands in protest against the ownership of the Glazers before kick-off and even the pre-match parading of new £60m signing Casemiro was accompanied by the soundtrack of open discontent aimed at the Americans.

There was, however, unity behind an outstanding United performance that made a nonsense of the embarrassment of the home defeat by Brighton and 4-0 humiliation at Brentford in Ten Hag's first two Premier League games.

He ordered his players to take their anger out on Liverpool and, from the first whistle, this was as good as Old Trafford has felt for some time as the manager got exactly what he wanted for his first victory.

How United's fans loved every second of it after the misery of recent times under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick, two large portions of it inflicted by Jurgen Klopp's side.

Ten Hag and United needed this to lift the mood of crisis and unrest around Manchester United and who better to produce it against than Liverpool?

The concerns of fans heading to Old Trafford were not just about United's abject early performances but the memories of the 5-0 embarrassment at Liverpool's hands here last season.

What a contrast this was as United tore into Liverpool from the kick-off, Jadon Sancho's perfect piece of composure the result of searing early pressure.

United showed more passion and intent in the first 10 minutes here than they did in two league matches against Liverpool last season, which ended with a 9-0 aggregate in the Merseysiders' favour.

And the biggest winner was Ten Hag, whose stock will rise with the manner in which he made the big, brave calls and also produced a tactical gameplan that worked to perfection.

Ten Hag had to do something after the Brentford debacle because what he witnessed there was unacceptable and unsustainable. He responded with a selection he knew would face scrutiny if it went wrong.

United Liverpool
Jadon Sancho sent Manchester United on their way to a 2-0 win over Liverpool with a classy 16th-minute strike
He dropped captain Harry Maguire and the talisman Cristiano Ronaldo, then saw United produce a performance of intensity, defensive solidity and bravery. It was the most satisfying vindication.

Maguire's standing as captain must now be in doubt after he was left out of what is arguably United's biggest game of the season. He can have no complaints as they looked much more secure without him.

Raphael Varane was powerful aerially while Lisandro Martinez showed a fierce competitive spirit, making his intentions clear with robust early challenges on Mohamed Salah.

Ronaldo only appeared with United running down the clock after Salah's late goal threatened to give Liverpool a point they did not deserve.

Ten Hag went with the pace of Sancho and Marcus Rashford - who showed great composure to score United's second goal - along with Anthony Elanga, replaced at half-time by Anthony Martial, to press and exploit Liverpool's increasingly vulnerable high defensive line.

The results were clear to see as Liverpool were run ragged at the back, with Virgil van Dijk's poor early-season form exposed again, especially with a strangely passive attempt to stop Sancho scoring.

Ten Hag got it all spot on - and now United have shown what they can do without Maguire and Ronaldo, he should stick with it.

This is not great news for England centre-back Maguire's World Cup prospects and may hasten Ronaldo towards the exit, but neither of these issues are Ten Hag's concern and nor should they be.

It all inspired the most remarkable switch in emotions around Manchester United. Yes, the fans still want the Glazers out, but this was a performance they could appreciate and relate to from first to last.

One of the big questions was whether United actually had it in them to come back from the defeats such as Brentford. This was an emphatic response.

As for Liverpool, this was another chastening evening in what has been a bitterly disappointing start to the campaign.

Yes, they have mounting injury problems and the stupidity of Darwin Nunez's red card against Crystal Palace was brought into even sharper focus as Liverpool were not even given the opportunity to exploit Martinez's lack of height.

Klopp's decision to leave Fabinho on the bench was mystifying, especially when Jordan Henderson and James Milner were so badly exposed and off the pace from the kick-off.

Liverpool will get better but their tally of only two points from three games is a fair reflection on their performances so far. They have deserved no more. They have not been anywhere near good enough when set against previous sky-high standards.

As for United, they can celebrate a victory few predicted against a Liverpool side that destroyed them twice last season. They are now even ahead of them in the Premier League table.

This was a hugely satisfying night for Manchester United and new manager Ten Hag.

BBC

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag expects Cristiano Ronaldo will stay at the club beyond this summer.

Ten Hag also says the club will not buy anyone else before Thursday's transfer deadline once the signings of Antony and Martin Dubravka are completed.

United have agreed an £81.3m deal to sign winger Antony from Ajax, while they are close to bringing in keeper Dubravka from Newcastle United.

"For this window, it will be the end," said Ten Hag.

"You always have to be alert at a top club. But we will go from September to minimum January with this squad."

When asked about 37-year-old forward Ronaldo, Ten Hag added: "It's clear, of course. We need quality players.

"You need more to cover all the games to keep the consistency going, that's what we strive for."

Portugal international Ronaldo, who was United's top scorer last season with 24 goals in all competitions, has wanted to leave the Old Trafford side this summer.

He recently said he will soon reveal "the truth" about his future after reading so many "lies" this summer.

Meanwhile, Ten Hag refused to speak about the arrival of Brazil international Antony as "the paperwork is not done so I cannot go too deep into that".

However, he said that, in the attacking department "we need to strengthen our squad".

"We have many games to cover - from now on we go in three games a week," said Ten Hag.

"Especially from offensive players, they are quicker fatigued because they have to run more and run with higher intensity.

"We need numbers there, we need not just quantity but quality."

BBC

Man Utd mentality has improved - Erik ten Hag

Man Utd 3-1 Arsenal

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag says his side's spirit and mentality has "really improved" as the Red Devils responded to Arsenal's equaliser with a double from Marcus Rashford, making it four successive Premier League wins.

They will be a force once Casemiro starts the games. They have already defeated two top teams and will certainly be challenging Liverpool for the second spot as I think City will be too strong again.

They will be a force once Casemiro starts the games. They have already defeated two top teams and will certainly be challenging Liverpool for the second spot as I think City will be too strong again.

Liverpool will be fighting for 4th spot. They have fallen behind in terms of strengthening.

Liverpool will be fighting for 4th spot. They have fallen behind in terms of strengthening.

No, I don't think so. They are only 3 points back Man U and 6 upto Arsenal. They are a very experienced side and that will show when you come to the bussiness end of the season, especially if Salah starts scoring again and they can get back their injured players. Thiago is very importan in the midfield for them.

Man Utd boss Ten Hag can be satisfied

United manager Erik ten Hag will be happy with a point after coming close to leaving with nothing. When the dust settles, however, he will know this was a missed opportunity.

Rashford and Antony should each have done better when clean through and it looked like they would pay for their profligacy before the outstanding Casemiro's first goal for the club provided the sting in the tail.

Ten Hag would have been bitterly frustrated at McTominay's rash tangle with Broja to concede the penalty and it was no surprise that the Scotland midfielder embraced Casemiro in sheer relief at the end.

United's manager has brought clear improvements to the team, who now press more effectively and play with more intensity.

He has also dealt firmly and strongly with Ronaldo's insubordination, leaving him out of the squad here to deliver a clear message clear that there will only be one man making the decisions at Old Trafford.

However, United will worry about Varane, who collapsed with what looked like a muscle injury as he went to challenge Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

The defender's tearful reaction clearly suggests it is a problem that threatens his World Cup chances.

He’s doing a very good job so far. Making the United team competitive against most sides again, and very strong man management of Ronaldo.

Very impressive so far. More than the results, I can see a clear pattern of play, which is something that I never saw under Ole the fraud. With more backing in the transfer window, he can make Man United a top side again. Ten Hag is the first right appointment since Sir Alex.

Casemiro surprised by Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag's 'obsession for winning'

Casemiro admits Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag's obsession for winning has taken him by surprise and is at a level he has "only seen with very few managers".

The midfielder, a five-time Champions League winner with Real Madrid, moved to United in the summer from the Spanish team in a transfer projected to reach £70m.

Casemiro played under Zinedine Zidane and Carlo Ancelotti at the Bernabeu - two coaches that have won a combined seven Champions League titles - and the Brazil international says the Dutchman's mentality is up there with the best he has worked with.

"After being in football for quite a while even though I'm only 30, his obsession for winning is what surprised me the most," said Casemiro ahead of Thursday's Europa League Group E decider at Real Sociedad.

"I think he's got many strengths, we all know it's a process and we're growing together.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...nning-obsession-ive-seen-in-only-few-managers

Erik ten Hag admitted Manchester United had been taken to school by Manchester City when they were thrashed in October, but he delivered on his insistence that lessons had been learned at a tumultuous Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham have all been beaten here by United this season but victory over Premier League champions City, and the manner in which it was achieved, is by far the most powerful statement of Ten Hag's tenure.

Manchester City will believe this derby turned on a controversial decision that ruled Marcus Rashford was not interfering with play when Bruno Fernandes equalised with 12 minutes left.

In the ensuing chaotic few minutes, Rashford swooped for a winner to give United a 2-1 win.

The subsequent celebrations at the final whistle carried the conviction that this giant club, which lost its way so badly, may just be finding itself again under Ten Hag.

United have now lost only one of 19 games since that 6-3 humiliation at Etihad Stadium, giving weight to Ten Hag's belief a harrowing experience would be used as a force for good.

The conclusion to this derby may have been highly contentious, and there had to be sympathy for City's complaints, but United's performance, character and unity justified the growing optimism around Old Trafford that has replaced the despair of the season's early days when they lost at home to Brighton and were then humiliated at Brentford.

Casemiro, to use Ten Hag's words, has put cement between the bricks since his arrival from Real Madrid but so many other factors are coming together as United now stand only one point behind City - a state of affairs that would have had anyone suggesting it laughed out of town a few months ago.

At the heart of it all is the tactically astute, disciplinarian Ten Hag, who is putting an even stronger stamp on Manchester United with every passing week, looking more at home and suited to the task than many who have preceded him in recent years.

Ten Hag has restored belief, instilled smart game management and also made it clear who is in charge when Cristiano Ronaldo was hustled off the premises sharpish following his subordination.

Even in-form Rashford did not escape when he was dropped at Wolverhampton Wanderers after being late for a meeting.

Is there a greater beneficiary of Ten Hag's influence than Rashford?

The winning goal means Rashford has scored in each of his last seven games in all competitions, eight in total, and has been on target in each of his last nine appearances at Old Trafford, the first United player to do so since Teddy Sheringham in late 2000.

Rashford's joy was in sharp contrast to City's goal machine Erling Haaland, who had a rare fruitless day as he only touched the ball 19 times, with just five inside United's box.

It is far too early to get carried away by talking titles and measuring gaps being closed to Manchester City, who have dominated not just United but pretty much everyone else domestically in recent years.

What can be stated without contradiction is that United are, at last, moving back in the right direction. It can be seen on the pitch and witnessed in the stands at Old Trafford, which was in ecstatic mood at the final whistle.

Ten Hag still has much work to do after the barren years of under-achievement but to have United third in the Premier League and right on City's heels is an outcome everyone with any association with the club would have snatched at in August.

He is also making decisions that work, one here being Luke Shaw's deployment in central defence, a move that raised eyebrows given he was operating in the same areas as Haaland.

Shaw was outstanding, especially in stoppage time when the diminutive defender rose to win aerial duels on several occasions during a lengthy game of head tennis on the edge of the area.

Ten Hag's arrival, and his measured approach, meant this was always going to be a case of managerial evolution rather than revolution - but the best way to prove the graph is on an upward curve is to beat the champions, especially when those champions happen to be Manchester City.

BBC

Tough start, stood his ground and didn't change his principles or favour any players irrespective of their ego.

Well done this man!

He’s doing an annoyingly brilliant job.

Got a bit lucky today mind you !

Gary Neville paid tribute to the "unbelievable" job Erik ten Hag is doing at Man Utd to foster a team spirit at the club again after so many years of dressing room issues.

Erik ten Hag 'convinced' of Manchester United success and says Aaron Wan-Bissaka is 'making good progress'

Erik ten Hag is "quite convinced" he will be successful at Manchester United as he attempts to bring the glory days back to Old Trafford.

Ten Hag has made the best start of any United manager after winning 21 of his 29 games in charge since joining from Ajax last summer and has overseen a 10-game unbeaten run in all competitions.

That impressive form has propelled United into the Premier League title race ahead of Sunday's huge trip to leaders Arsenal - live on Sky Sports - and seen them progress in both domestic cups.

United have not won the Premier League since 2013 and last experienced silverware almost six years ago, but Ten Hag is confident that can change under his guidance.

"There are six or seven teams who can all win the Premier League because there are so many investments," the Dutchman said.

"When you have the right philosophy and the right strategy, many more clubs can compete for the top positions. That's a great challenge and if you want to be there, you have to be really good.

"You need consistency, you need a good strategy, consistency in the strategy, and you need hard work to compete there. If you want to win trophies, everything has to go in the right way."

Asked if he believes United are on that path with him in charge, Ten Hag added: "Yes, I'm quite convinced of that process.

"I think we are in the right direction, but it also means that we have to improve a lot if you want to compete in the future for the top positions because the competition will be really tough."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-utd-success-wan-bissaka-making-good-progress

Man Utd 2-1 Barcelona (agg: 4-3) - Erik ten Hag calls Europa League win his biggest as Man Utd manger

Erik ten Hag has hailed Manchester United's Europa League victory against Barcelona as "my biggest win" as the club's manager, and praised the personality of his players to come from behind.

After an electric first leg at the Nou Camp last week that saw the sides draw 2-2, Man Utd went behind early on in the second leg after a Robert Lewandowski penalty.

But after the introduction of Antony at half-time, the hosts looked like a changed side. Fred equalised minutes after the break before Antony himself fired home the winner and seal Man Utd's place in the Europa League last 16.

When asked if this is his biggest win as Man Utd manager, Ten Hag told BT Sport: "I think so, yes. We've had some good wins - Liverpool and Arsenal at home.

"I think this, over two legs, against Barcelona - leaders in LaLiga, eight points ahead of Real Madrid. We have all seen Real Madrid this week.

"So if you can beat them, then yes, this is my biggest win."

He later added: "It was too flat in the first half, a little bit more belief. Our spare man, Casemiro, we did not use enough. Aaron Wan-Bissaka had a lot of space on the right side. We did not use him enough. Our pressing could have been more brave. That is what we said at half-time."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ropa-league-win-his-biggest-as-man-utd-manger

In big trouble now.

==

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "The first half we played very good, we defended very well. We had good breaks, good opportunities but we could have taken more benefit. Then the penalty changes the game.

"We had to go offensive in the second half, we wanted to be more compact. We know they would press us, go high and go direct."

On when did the game started getting away from United: "The second goal. It came too early and then we're making the wrong decisions. We spoke about not pressing the keepers when it was not possible.

"The first half I think things went the way we wanted. The second half, at 2-0, you have to go against them out of shape and when you don't they will find the spare man. We have to be better organised."

On regrouping before Wednesday's League Cup match against Newcastle: "We are down, but we played a good game first half. We will be disappointed and annoyed, but tomorrow we will be there."

On his substitutions: "You try to get more offensive and you see we worked very hard and brought in new energy, but it was impossible at that point, 3-0 down with five minutes left to play."

His tenure has been a failure overall.

Days are numbered.

Back