European football leagues (La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc.) 2023-24 Discussion Thread

Updated Serie A Points Table 27th November 2023
qBVnXvx.png

Bayern extend Neuer's deal

Bayern Munich have announced that the club has extended the contract of captain Manuel Neuer, 37, and fellow goalkeeper Sven Ulreich, 35, by one year each until June 30, 2025.

Bayern CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen said: "Manuel Neuer and Sven Ulreich are simply a 'dream team'.

"It's fun to watch them at work every day.They support and motivate each other and exemplify the values that characterise FC Bayern."

Neuer said: “I am happy to stay at FC Bayern for another year. After my long injury, I'm back on the attack again. I really enjoy being on the pitch with this team. I am convinced that together with the fans we can achieve our big goals in the next few years - and of course that includes the Champions League final in Munich in 2025."

Bayern extend Neuer's deal

Bayern Munich have announced that the club has extended the contract of captain Manuel Neuer, 37, and fellow goalkeeper Sven Ulreich, 35, by one year each until June 30, 2025.

Bayern CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen said: "Manuel Neuer and Sven Ulreich are simply a 'dream team'.

"It's fun to watch them at work every day.They support and motivate each other and exemplify the values that characterise FC Bayern."

Neuer said: “I am happy to stay at FC Bayern for another year. After my long injury, I'm back on the attack again. I really enjoy being on the pitch with this team. I am convinced that together with the fans we can achieve our big goals in the next few years - and of course that includes the Champions League final in Munich in 2025."
I believe this is going to be Neuer's last season with bayern. As bayern never sticks with older legends long enough lewandowski's exit a testament to it. Hope neuer could win something big with bayern this season.

Lazio vs Cagliari ends in 1-0 in favor of Lazio. Lazio enters the top 10 now. Currently on 9th position.

REAL MADRID VS GRANADA

Real Madrid went top in La Liga after they beat Granada 2-0 on Saturday night at the Bernabeu.

Carlo Ancelotti’s team needed three points to leapfrog Girona after the Catalans beat Valencia 2-1 earlier in the day.

They secured a breakthrough when Toni Kroos’ superb through-ball was latched onto by Brahim Diaz to lift the ball over substitute goalkeeper Andre Ferreira.

The home side, particularly Jude Bellingham, grew increasingly frustrated with the referee as they failed to add to the scoreline in the first period.

In the second half, Rodrygo was on hand to follow up when Bellingham had his effort saved, and while they continued to press they were ultimately denied any further goals.

Real’s next match is at Real Betis next Saturday, while Granada play Athletic Club the following day.

Source: EuroSport

Last edited by a moderator:
Athletic Club triumphs against Rayo Vallecano by 4-0. Athletic club now just 3 points behind Barcelona.

Serie A result (3-12-2023)

AC Milan beats Frosinone by 3-1 margin. Milan strengthens their grip on 3rd spot. Now 5 points clear of fourth place Napoli fc.

Osasuna vs Real Sociedad ends in a 1-1 draw. Osasuna gets a much needed respite. Osasuna manages to salvage a point after losing three of their last five encounters.

European League FT Scores (03/12-2023)

Italian Serie A

1701643150093.png

German Bundasliga

1701643213006.png

Spanish La Liga

1701643267043.png

French Ligue 1

1701643503215.png

Patrick Kluivert: Adana Demirspor manager leaves Turkish club by 'mutual agreement'​

Turkish Super Lig club Adana Demirspor have "parted ways" with manager Patrick Kluivert.

The Dutchman, 47, was appointed in June and oversaw 20 games.

Adana Demirspor have won just one of their past six games and sit fifth in the top flight.

"We would like to thank Mr Kluivert and his staff for their contribution to our club, and wish him success for the remainder of his career," the club said.

Former Netherlands striker Kluivert spent the majority of his playing career with Barcelona and also made 37 appearances for Newcastle United in 2004-2005.

He has managed national side Curacao and Jong Twente, and had spells as assistant boss with AZ Alkmaar, Brisbane Roar, the Netherlands and Cameroon.

Source: BBC

1702073274647.png

Federico Gatti scored the only goal as Juventus edged defending champions Napoli to move top of Serie A.

The defender scored a late winner last Friday against Monza and followed that up with another decisive strike, heading home in the 51st minute.

Napoli had the better of the first half but couldn't make their chances count.

Victor Osimhen had the opportunity to equalise but was unable to capitalise on Wojciech Szczesny's poor kick.

The win moves Juventus one point clear of Inter Milan at the top of the table.

Napoli, meanwhile, remain fifth.

Frankfurt 5-1 Bayern Munich - MATCH REPORT

Defending champions Bayern Munich slipped to their first Bundesliga defeat of the season as they were thrashed by Eintracht Frankfurt.

Omar Marmoush, Eric Ebimbe and Hugo Larsson put Eintracht 3-0 up after only 36 minutes at Deutsche Bank Park.

Joshua Kimmich pulled one back before Ebimbe and Ansgar Knauff scored for Frankfurt.

Second-placed Bayern are three points behind Bayern Leverkusen, who travel to third-placed VfB Stuttgart on Sunday.

England captain Harry Kane, who played the full 90 minutes, failed to score for only the third time in 13 Bundesliga games this season. He has 18 goals from 13 league matches.

Frankfurt had not won in their previous three league games, although they were the last team to score five goals against Bayern in the Bundesliga, a 5-1 win in 2019.

Bayern, who have qualified for the Champions League last 16, play Manchester United in their final group game on Tuesday.

European League FT Scores (09-12-2023)

German Bundesliga
1702166299832.png

Spanish La Liga
1702166286826.jpeg

Italian Serie A
1702166327961.jpeg

French Ligue 1
1702166344002.jpeg

Last edited:
Granada's La Liga match at home against Athletic Bilbao was abandoned after a supporter died in the stands at Nuevo Los Carmenes stadium.

Sunday's match was paused after 18 minutes with Athletic leading 1-0 through an early Inaki Williams strike.

Players from both sides left the pitch 20 minutes later with supporters also requested to leave the stadium.

La Liga then confirmed the match had been postponed and would be replayed at a later date.

Granada said in a statement the match was "suspended indefinitely after the death of a club season ticket holder" and offered their condolences to the fan's "family and friends as well as to the entire Granada family".

Athletic goalkeeper Unai Simon was applauded by Granada supporters after helping to inform officials of the incident in the stands.

European League FT Scores (10-12-2023)

Italian Serie A
1702248175690.png

French Ligue 1
1702248271566.png

Spanish La Liga
1702248322359.png

German Bundesliga
1702248373368.png

Girona underlined their La Liga title credentials with a famous victory at Barcelona to move top of the table.

Goals from Artem Dovbyk, Miguel Gutierrez, Valery Fernandez and Cristhian Stuani gave the visitors a deserved first ever league win over their Catalan rivals.

Robert Lewandowski's header and Ilkay Gundogan's late goal were mere consolations for Barca.

The result sees Girona open up a two-point gap to Real Madrid.

Michel's side are also seven clear of third-placed Atletico Madrid and Barca, who are fourth.

Girona's rise to the top may have taken many by surprise but on this evidence they have the quality to stay the course.

Ukraine forward Dovbyk's eighth goal of the campaign set them on their way in the 12th minute and came after he was expertly teed up by his international team-mate Viktor Tsyhankov, who beat the home side's offside trap to escape down the right channel.

And while Lewandowski headed in an equaliser from Raphinha's corner to draw Xavi's side level seven minutes later, the visitors always carried a considerable threat on the counter.

Spain Under-21 left-back Gutierrez restored their lead with a surging run and left-foot finish into the left corner five minutes before the break.

Fernandez looked to have rounded off the scoring in the 80th minute with a fine strike from Stuani's flick-on after he had skipped past Barca defender Jules Kounde.

German midfielder Gundogan briefly raised hopes of a home fightback in added time, but they were quickly extinguished by Stuani.

The Uruguay forward tapped in Girona's fourth at the back post to cap a special night for the club, who have never finished higher than 10th and are only in their fourth season in La Liga.

BBC

Antonio Rudiger’s latest crime against normality proves he cannot be from Planet Earth​

“My Real Madrid teammates have realized that I’m completely crazy,” said Antonio Rudiger three months after swapping Chelsea for Spain in 2022. They didn’t know the half of it.

Rudiger has established a reputation as one of Europe’s best defenders in recent seasons, with Teflon-like marking and excellent distribution of the ball married to the innate ability to be in the right place at the right time.

But everybody needs their own USP. And Rudiger’s biggest quality has been to turn his inherent weirdness into a weapon to be used against opposition forwards

And the Germany international was at it once more during Madrid’s trip to Real Betis on a bright, warm day in Seville.

Bernabeu, Isco would clearly take some stopping.Instead of whispering sweet nothings in his ear, promising to take Isco out for some espinacas con garbanzos and Flamenco, Rudiger decided that a more physical approach was necessary to win possession.

But that didn’t mean he was about to use one of his telescopic legs to regain possession or nip ahead of his opponent to win the ball. Oh no.

Unsurprisingly, Isco cried foul. His general helplessness was exacerbated by the sight of his arms and legs falling in the air like a toddler sitting at a high chair.

The referee’s whistle pierced the air. Rudiger trotted back in line with his defensive colleagues, non-plussed at having committed another crime against normality.

Source : Planet Football

Romelu Lukaku scored but was later sent off as nine-man Roma held on for a point at home to Fiorentina in Serie A.

The Belgium striker headed the hosts into an early lead from Paulo Dybala's classy outside-of-the-boot cross.

Lucas Martinez Quarta's glancing header brought Fiorentina level midway through the second half after Roma's Nicola Zalewski collected a second booking.

Lukaku was given a straight red for a studs-up foul on Christian Kouame three minutes from the end but Roma held out.

Fiorentina ended a feisty game with 10 men after Nikola Milenkovic's dismissal deep into stoppage time.

Jose Mourinho's Roma are fourth in Serie A after 15 games, 13 points behind leaders Inter Milan. Fiorentina are a point behind Roma in seventh.

Source : BBC

Mourinho's side has still a lot of work to do. Can't see them claiming the title this time also. Just hope something special happens for them.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as adviser to owners​

Former AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has returned to the club as a senior adviser to the club's ownership and management.

The Swede, 42, returns to the club for a third time, six months after ending his playing career.

Ibrahimovic had an illustrious 24-year career at clubs including Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Paris St-Germain and Manchester United.

He won leagues in four countries and is Sweden's all-time leading goalscorer.

AC Milan's owners, American investment firm RedBird, who bought the Serie A club for £1bn in August 2022, have appointed Ibrahimovic as an operating partner across its sports, media and entertainment investment portfolio, which includes AC Milan.

Ibrahimovic, who first joined AC Milan on loan in 2010, said: "My love for the Rossoneri will never die and the opportunity to be a part of its future in a meaningful way is something I could only have dreamed of.

"This is not a decision that I take lightly - it is one which is very important and personal to me and my family. I've thought long and hard about the first steps in my post-playing career and I couldn't be more thrilled to start that journey as a member of RedBird and AC Milan.

"For me and my family, this is truly a homecoming with the cherished club where I ended my playing career and am now starting my next chapter."

Ibrahimovic began his second spell with the Rossoneri in early 2020, having won the Scudetto with them in 2011 and helped them win the title again in 2021-22.

It will be a great thing for the club to have him at the club in any capacity. He is such an influential personality and knows AC Milan and Italian football very well.

Club president arrested after punching referee - Turkey suspends football

Professional football in Turkey has been suspended after a top referee was punched to the ground by a club president at the end of a match in the country's highest league.

Halil Umut Meler was attacked at the final whistle and hit in the face by MKE Ankaragucu president Faruk Koca, sparking a melee of players and officials either joining the chaos or trying to intervene.

As Meler lay on the ground he was also kicked in the head at least once.

During the game he had sent off one player from each side in the Super Lig clash, before allowing an equaliser for opponents Rizespor in the seventh minute of injury time to force a 1-1 draw.

On Tuesday Turkish minister of justice Yilmaz Tunc said Mr Koca had been arrested "for the crimes of injuring and threatening a public servant due to his public duty".

The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) condemned the attack and announced all matches will be suspended indefinitely, while President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said sports are about "peace and brotherhood".

In a statement, The TFF blamed the incident on a toxic culture towards referees fostered by players and club officials over years.

"The irresponsible statements of club presidents, managers, coaches and TV commentators targeting referees have paved the way for this vile attack today," said the TFF.

"In coordination with our state, all the criminal proceedings they deserve have begun to be implemented against those responsible and instigators of this inhumane attack.

Advertisement

"The responsible club, its president, its managers and all criminals who attacked Meler will be punished in the most severe way.

"By the decision of the TFF Board of Directors, matches in all leagues have been postponed indefinitely."

Both Meler and Koca were taken to hospital, according to Turkish media, with Koca under guard and expected to be detained after treatment.

MKE Ankaragucu later issued an apology on X, formerly Twitter, saying: "As MKE Ankaragücü Sports Club, we are saddened by the incident that took place this evening.

"We apologise to the Turkish football public and the entire sports community for the sad incident that occurred after the Çaykur Rizespor match at Eryaman Stadium."

Meler, 37, is on UEFA's elite list and last season took charge of West Ham's Conference League semi-final first leg against AZ Alkmaar.

President Erdogan said in a statement: "I condemn the attack on referee Halil Umut Meler after the MKE Ankaragucu-Caykur Rizespor match played this evening, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

"Sports means peace and brotherhood. Sports are incompatible with violence. We will never allow violence to take place in Turkish sports."

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said: "There is absolutely no place for violence in football, on or off the field. Events following the Turkish Süper Lig match between MKE Ankaragucu and Caykur Rizespor are totally unacceptable and have no place in our sport or society.

"Without match officials there is no football. Referees, players, fans and staff have to be safe and secure to enjoy the game, and I call on the relevant authorities to ensure that this is strictly implemented and respected at all levels."

SKYSPORTS

Giorgio Chiellini: Italy and Juventus legend announces retirement aged 39​

Italy legend Giorgio Chiellini has announced his retirement, describing his career as "the most beautiful and intense journey of my life".

The 39-year-old, who captained the Azzurri to their Euro 2020 win, has called time on playing after 23 years.

The defender made his name at Juventus and since June 2022 has been playing in Major League Soccer (MLS) with Los Angeles FC.

LAFC were beaten 2-1 by Columbus Crew in the MLS Cup final on Saturday.

Posting on X, Chiellini added: "You have been my everything. With you I have travelled a unique and unforgettable path.

"But now it is time to start new chapters, face new challenges and write further important and exciting pages of life."

Chiellini began his career with Livorno in 2000 before cementing his status as a Serie A icon in Turin.

The centre-half helped Juventus win nine consecutive Serie A titles from 2011 and 2020 and the Coppa Italia five times.

Chiellini, who retired from international football in 2022, won 117 Italy caps, scoring eight goals.

Juventus paid tribute to their former player, saying: "For Juventus fans, for 17 seasons, the number three stood for one thing, and one thing only: Giorgio Chiellini.

"You were always by our side, like a superhero ready to intervene if necessary."

One of the greatest defenders of his era. Wishing him all the best in his future life.

Turkey referee punch: Turkish FA say referee is not going to quit​

There is "no possibility" referee Halil Umut Meler will quit after being punched in a Turkish top-flight match, says the country's football federation chief Mehmet Buyukeksi.

Ankaragucu president Faruk Koca was arrested on Tuesday after he ran on to the pitch and struck Meler following Monday's 1-1 draw with Caykur Rizespor.

All leagues were suspended but the TFF say they will resume on 19 December.

Meler was released from hospital on Wednesday with a swollen eye.

The 37-year-old is one of Turkey's top referees and officiates international games for Fifa.

He is also on Uefa's elite referee list and Buyukeksi said in a news conference on Wednesday that he still expects Meler to officiate at Euro 2024 in Germany.

"We expect Halil Umut Meler to take part in Euro 2024. There is no possibility of him quitting refereeing right now," said Buyukeksi.

Turkish football bosses suspended all leagues following the incident but Buyukeksi added: "We had decided to postpone the matches in all leagues indefinitely. With the decision we took today, all leagues will restart on Tuesday, December 19."

This week's postponed games will be played on 10 January.

After Koca punched Meler to the ground, he received several blows from others as he lay on the turf, and suffered injuries including a minor fracture.

The incident sparked chaotic scenes involving players and club officials.

Mehmet Yorubulut, chief of medicine at Acibadem Hospital, said Meler has a swollen eye but is in "good condition".

Justice Minister Yilmaz Tunc said Koca and two others had been arrested after prosecutors took statements and a judicial control decision had been imposed on three other suspects.

Koca later issued a statement via Ankaragucu saying he had resigned as club president and apologising for his actions, saying he felt "great embarrassment" for the "grave incident" he caused.

Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke to Meler in hospital and said the incident had "saddened and disturbed" him.

The TFF said Ankaragucu, its chairman, club officials and all those guilty of attacking the referee will be "punished in the strongest terms possible".

Fifa president Gianni Infantino said the incident was "totally unacceptable" and violence has "no place in our sport or society".

Why would he going to quit? He didn't do anything wrong. The one who did wrong has already resigned from his position.

Transfer news roundup: Barcelona fail to sign Lionel Messi recommendation, Manchester United seek offers for Casemiro​

With the winter transfer window approaching, European clubs will once again look to reinforce their squads ahead of the second-half of the ongoing season. The ongoing season has seen plenty of surprises, like Manchester United failing to qualify for the Champions League knockouts or Girona's performance in La Liga.

Erik ten Hag is currently under-fire as Manchester United manager, and could reportedly be replaced by former Chelsea boss Graham Potter or ex-Real Madrid gaffer Julen Lopetegui. According to Sky Sports, Potter met incoming United investor Sir Jim Ratcliffee and reached a verbal agreement. Famous football journalist Fabrizio Romano denied Lopetegui's links to United.

Speaking to CaughtOffside, he said, "I wanted to start today by addressing some of the rumours about Erik ten Hag and a possible replacement being lined up by Manchester United, with some credible sources suggesting Julen Lopetegui is gaining strength as a candidate to take over at Old Trafford."

"I don’t want to deny or talk down any colleagues and the information they’re getting, but all I can say is that I’m not aware of any contact between Man United and Lopetegui at this stage. There’s not a lot more I can say other than what I’ve previously reported, which is that United continue to back Ten Hag, even if there is an awareness that things have to improve."

Source : Hindustan Times

Bundesliga RESULT (15-12-2023)

Borussia Monchengladbach 2-2 Werder Bremen

La Liga Results (16-12-2023)

Celta Vigo 1-0 Granada
Athletic Bilbao 2-0 Atlético Madrid

1702852265680.png1702852287458.png

Harry Kane scored a double to become the quickest player to ever reach 20 Bundesliga goals as Bayern Munich beat fourth-placed Stuttgart 3-0.

Jude Bellingham continued his fine goalscoring form as Real Madrid beat Villarreal 4-1 to return to the top of La Liga.

Lille equalised five minutes into stoppage time to deny leaders Paris St-Germain a ninth successive Ligue 1 win.

Bayern Munich midfielder Thomas Muller has signed a one-year contract extension until June 2025.

The German, 34, has spent his whole career at Bayern, making 684 senior appearances since his debut in 2008.

Club president Herbert Hainer said: "Bayern has been shaped by many people, and there will never again be a player like Thomas Müller."

Muller has won 12 German Bundesliga titles, the Champions League twice, six German cups and eight German Supercups.

Bayern trail league leaders Leverkusen by four points, although they have a game in hand.

VAR conversations in LaLiga and Spanish Super Cup to be made public​

Dec 19 (Reuters) - Conversations between the on-field referee and video assistant referee (VAR) in LaLiga and the Spanish Super Cup will be made public at the end of each matchday starting January, the Spanish football federation (RFEF) said on Tuesday.

The new initiative will launch on Jan. 10 with the Super Cup semi-final between Real Madrid and Altetico Madrid. It will be used in the LaLiga from Jan. 12 onwards.

"The RFEF and LaLiga have agreed to start publishing the images and audio of the conversations between the on-field referee and the VAR officials following a VAR review and the use of the pitchside monitor," the RFEF said in a statement.

The moved was aimed at "making refereeing in professional football and the competitions themselves more transparent".

"The fans' experience will be improved and a better understanding of the refereeing decisions will be appreciated by the viewers," the RFEF added.

Source: Reuters

Bundesliga Half Time Scores (19-12-2023)

Dortmund 1-1 Mainz
Hoffenheim 2-1 Darmstadt

Turkish Super Lig controversy again as Istanbulspor president calls team off pitch in protest of not getting penalty​

The Turkish Super Lig was at the centre of another refereeing controversy as Istanbulspor president Faik Sarialioglu called his team off the pitch in protest after not getting a penalty against Trabzonspor.

Istanbulspor were drawing 1-1 when Florian Loshaj went down under Batista Mendy's challenge but no penalty was awarded.

Trabzonspor then scored to put them 2-1 up at the other end through former Southampton striker Paul Onuachu before the Istanbulspor players were called off the pitch in the 73rd minute by their own president. The match is currently suspended.

In astonishing scenes, Istanbulspor striker Simon Deli, who is on loan from Adana Demirspor, was seen on his knees - appearing to beg his own president not to take the team off.

After the game was halted, Trabzonspor posted on X, formerly known as Twitter: "We would like to thank our fans who did not leave our team alone in Istanbulspor's away game."

Instanbulspor are at the bottom of the Turkish Super Lig after picking up just eight points in 15 games. They have won just once in their last eight matches.

Source: SKY

You can never be sure when things are going to go ugly in the Turkish Super Lig.

La Liga Half Time Scores (19-12-2023)

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Getafe
Granada CF 0-2 Sevilla

Bundesliga Results (19-12-2023)

Dortmund 1-1 Mainz
Hoffenheim 3-3 Darmstadt

Back