"Everybody tells me it's the classic World Cup campaign. And I hate that": Mickey Arthur

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
3 November - Bengaluru - Pakistan Director of Cricket Mickey Arthur pre-match press conference

[Reporter:]

What is the latest update on Shadab (Khan)?

[Mickey Arthur:]

The latest update is Shadab went through a preliminary test today, which you've got to do as per medical protocol. He came through that OK, but we're in no position yet to make a decision on him. Concussion is a really important injury, and we've got to be 100% sure before we make a decision. No decision has been made on him at the minute.

More general question about the whole tournament. Do you feel Pakistan has been at a disadvantage in this World Cup because none of the Pakistan players play in the IPL? Whereas, players from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, they're all very familiar with the grounds and conditions and there are so many different grounds and conditions. What do you think?

That's a good question, but I just see the headline now. No excuse, but it has been. And the interesting thing has been that every ground we've been to has been a new venue for our players, which is exciting. The players have really embraced that and they've enjoyed that fact because they've watched IPL on TV and they've seen test matches at iconic grounds like Eden Gardens, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai. So, for them to play it, it's been really exciting for them.

Of course, it is the first time they're playing there, so it has taken a little bit to get used to the conditions.

Both matches are must-win matches for Pakistan. Any specific instructions for boys and any special plan to win these both matches?

Every game we go into, we want to win. And I'll be brutally honest, I don't think we've played to our full potential this tournament yet. I thought the Bangladesh game is the first game where we actually put a complete game together. We batted beautifully, bowled beautifully, and fielded beautifully, which in all the other games, we've done one or two disciplines OK, but our other disciplines let us down. So, I'd like to say we're peaking, but the preparation of the guys and the attitude of the guys' will to get better every day, that has been exceptional. So, I can't fault anybody in terms of that. But we found our best game against Bangladesh and I just hope that's not too late for us.

Being on the road continuously, how much does that affect the team? Because like we said, they're used to it in the IPL, but this again is a novelty for the Pakistan team. How much has that been a factor?

As a Pakistan team, we play a hell of a lot of cricket. So being on the road is nothing new for these guys. What has been tough is the fact that we've been under a massive amount of security. So, I've sort of taken it back. And to be fair, I found it difficult. It's almost like we've been back in the COVID times, where you were almost secluded to your floor and your team room. So much so that their breakfast is in a separate room to everybody else. So, it's almost, that's been the tough aspect.

The aspect about being on the road is, our boys are used to it. But when they're on the road, they've still been able to get out and go and have meals, etc., at different places, and get out on their own accord where we haven't been able to do this time. And that's been tough. That has been quite stifling.

It certainly does. It definitely does. And I've seen it with some players where it has been, you wake up again and it's like Groundhog Day. It's exactly the same. You have breakfast and if it's a non-training day, you're back to your room. We've tried to have sort of little fun team events and whatever within our team room. But you know, there's only so much you can recreate. I think the guys have been out three times - we've managed to do that with security, get them out to a different restaurant or whatever, just to give them a little bit of a taste of the outside world.

There is some noise from outside the field. They have to win big, they have to hope that the results go their way, so it's an adverse situation for the side so how much motivation do you think these players draw from such situations because this is a classic Pakistan World Cup campaign?

Yeah, everybody tells me it's the classic World Cup campaign. And I hate that, because I'd rather, that we were cruising now and things had been really good, it would certainly be a lot less stressful. But again, we got ourselves into a position before the Bangladesh game where it was kind of out of our hands and it's come back in a funny way into our hands again because albeit we've got to win and win big in both our games, it's still in our control, which it wasn't before the Bangladesh game. We had obviously a really good result there. And then South Africa did us a little bit of a favour as well. So, it's kind of pushed it back into our hands, albeit a long shot.

But look, we actually spoke about it as a group yesterday in our one-on-one skill meetings. The one thing that amazes me, and it's amazed me so much with the Pakistan players, is generally how calm they are. You know, it's like, I'm a cat on a hot tin roof, the players are just really calm. They kind of take it in their stride. And that's the feeling I got before the Bangladesh game. And it's certainly the feeling I'm getting right now. So, yeah, we're in a decent place.

The last game we played against Australia was pretty high-scoring encounter. But we saw the New Zealand - Sri Lanka game was pretty low scoring encounter. So, comes with a bowling unit are they under sort of pressure to find out a kind of solution? What would be your approach going on this track again? Are you going to like control runs or directly go for wickets? What's the solution for this?

Yeah, we've looked through all the stats on the ground for day games. We've factored that into our equation. We've looked at- is it spin favourable, is it pace bowler favourable, what's the mean score. So, we've done a hell of a lot of research into this venue for day games because a lot of the research you get is at night. We've done it for day games, and we've tried to mould a game plan around that.

Now, we obviously have a couple of concerns still in terms of personnel within the team before we can make a final decision. But we've taken all those factors into account and we're trying to put what we think is our best team for these conditions tomorrow.

Sitting outside, we have been calculating, okay, this margin, this margin, that margin can Pakistan take, surpass. So do you have this thing in your mind that if we can win by around 85 runs, it will take us above New Zealand in net run rate. So, do you, I mean, this thing is in your mind that we have to not only to win, but also to pass, surpass New Zealand on net run rate?

Yeah, look, of course it is. It is based on and during the Calcutta chase, I had every scenario in my pocket as to if we won in 25 overs, if we won in 26 overs, 27 overs. So, we kind of knew as to how we were going to eat into the net run rate of particularly New Zealand. What I didn't factor into was South Africa doing us a favour the next night. So, we do have all those scenarios. Of course, we have those scenarios. I think the first thing for us, though, is we've got to respect our position. New Zealand are a very, very good team. I think they're very well coached. I think they're very well led. I think they're a very experienced cricket team. We've got to respect it. And once we get ourselves in a position, only then can we start talking about those net run rates. Now, I'll have all the information, but I won't necessarily give it to the players until we feel the time is right to put the foot down and potentially try and close that net run rate because we've still got to win the game as well.

We've seen you discussing things with Babar and Grant at the end of the practice session. Did we expect any change in tomorrow's game? Maybe Hassan Ali comes in for Haris Rauf. As we saw that the last game, you changed Fakhar Zaman and played very brilliantly. So, we expect any change?

If we make change - and just on Haris Rauf does a real role for us. You know, he's kind of our striker. So no, we wouldn't look to change Haris Rauf because he's got a specific role for us within the team. But there is a potential for a game plan change, yes. And you know, Fakhar Zaman was brought in once he cleared his injury, we have to remember that. We would have loved to have Fakhar Zaman available for the whole competition. But once he cleared his injury, we got him right and he gave us some good reward.

A word on the contribution Iftikhar (Ahmed) has made with the ball at this World Cup, especially bowling so much in the first 10 overs.

Yeah, He's been good. Iftikhar's an underrated off spinner. At the start of the tournament, Babar was bowling Ifti (Iftikhar) a couple of overs. And Ifti always used to come off going, coach, coach, I'm a 10-over bowler. And I love that. I love that kind of attitude from Ifti. And the longer the tournament's gone on, the more he's bowled and done a really good job for us.

So, I'm really happy with his contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think qualification is right in our hands we beat nz by 85 to 90 runs
and then equal the nrr
then beat eng with whatever margin Nz beat Sl
tough but doable

If you hate it so much you should have declined that silly online coaching nonsense that Najam Sethi suggested. Let Pakistan have a full time coach.

Mickey Arthur is a wrecking ball. Left the Aussies and Sri Lankans in tatters, and is now doing it to Pakistan.

The performance of our test team under him was despite him (due to the quality of our players at the time), not because of him. But he created a toxic culture of cockiness that we're only now recovering from.

Mickey Arthur is a wrecking ball. Left the Aussies and Sri Lankans in tatters, and is now doing it to Pakistan.

The performance of our test team under him was despite him (due to the quality of our players at the time), not because of him. But he created a toxic culture of cockiness that we're only now recovering from.

Wow long time you're posting after. Nice to see.

Excellent post.

i think qualification is right in our hands we beat nz by 85 to 90 runs
and then equal the nrr
then beat eng with whatever margin Nz beat Sl
tough but doable
Bro NZ isn't a minnow that you can just beat by 90 runs 💀

They're no India. If Pakistan play really well can crush them
Brother even this injured NZ isn't a walk in the park.

They destroyed us in warmups with literal part timers. Theirs no crushing.

When have we ever crushed a full strength NZ in odi these past few years? 2019 we barely made it despite ish Sodhi bowling.

Be humble and control expectations and I'm not saying this as a NZ and aussie fanboy, Pakistan so far have succeded in beating the 3 weakest teams of the tournament with only England left to beat as another weak team.

All semi decent to super strong teams have crushed us minus SA who are virtual minnows in chasing.

I'm just giving a reality check. Unless a collapse happens, this will be a tough game. Not an easy one. The only reason I'm hopeful is because of injuries. If NZ was full strength we'd stand no chance in hell lol.

When have we ever crushed a full strength NZ in odi these past few years? 2019 we barely made it despite ish Sodhi bowling.

Be humble and control expectations and I'm not saying this as a NZ and aussie fanboy, Pakistan so far have succeded in beating the 3 weakest teams of the tournament with only England left to beat as another weak team.

All semi decent to super strong teams have crushed us minus SA who are virtual minnows in chasing.

I'm just giving a reality check. Unless a collapse happens, this will be a tough game. Not an easy one. The only reason I'm hopeful is because of injuries. If NZ was full strength we'd stand no chance in hell lol.
Pak played well against Australia
if they had no dropped catches
they would have won
also against Southafrica we almost won if umpire had raised his finger
pak has played only terrible cricket in two matches
one against India
one against Afghanistan otherwise they have been competitive in other two losses

beating someone by 85 runs is not crushing them we can beat them by this margin if pak bat first get to 330ish
get them out on 240 odd its a decent margin lost

If you hate it so much you should have declined that silly online coaching nonsense that Najam Sethi suggested. Let Pakistan have a full time coach.
Pakistan actually does have a full time coach
Arthur Is the Director- not the coach

Pak played well against Australia
if they had no dropped catches
they would have won
also against Southafrica we almost won if umpire had raised his finger
pak has played only terrible cricket in two matches
one against India
one against Afghanistan otherwise they have been competitive in other two losses
Brother, we didn't play well against Australia, we had zero confidence against them. We failed miserably and collapsed.

We played well against sa yes.

You need to realise I say this out of love, It doesn't matter on the context of how we lost, Point is

Bamgaldesh, Nedthelrands and Sri Lanka are the weakest teams of the tournament barring England.

All other teams we lost, NZ is the last quality team we face and our only chance to have one W over a quality side. England atm is a wreck and won't count as a quality opposition considering Nedthelrands beat em

Surprised at the lashing out at Mickey Arthur and the coaching staff. This is Babar Azam's team for which he has been in total control for the last 3-4 years. This coaching staff only came in the last 6 months and this WC is the only tour where Mickey Arthur has been physically present with the team.

Let's be clear, it was the PCB who went to Mickey Arthur, Mickey didn't desperately approach the PCB. I question whether Mickey and the coaching staff have much power, authority over the squad. There is no way Mickey would have tolerated some of the defensive impactless cricket our players have played in this WC had he been given total authority.

Also you cannot criticize him for not giving up his Derbyshire job given how he was let go at the last minute in 2019

3 November - Bengaluru - Pakistan Director of Cricket Mickey Arthur pre-match press conference
AoJ6fnJ.png

What is the latest update on Shadab (Khan)?

The latest update is Shadab went through a preliminary test today, which you've got to do as per medical protocol. He came through that OK, but we're in no position yet to make a decision on him. Concussion is a really important injury, and we've got to be 100% sure before we make a decision. No decision has been made on him at the minute.

More general question about the whole tournament. Do you feel Pakistan has been at a disadvantage in this World Cup because none of the Pakistan players play in the IPL? Whereas, players from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, they're all very familiar with the grounds and conditions and there are so many different grounds and conditions. What do you think?

That's a good question, but I just see the headline now. No excuse, but it has been. And the interesting thing has been that every ground we've been to has been a new venue for our players, which is exciting. The players have really embraced that and they've enjoyed that fact because they've watched IPL on TV and they've seen test matches at iconic grounds like Eden Gardens, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai. So, for them to play it, it's been really exciting for them.

Of course, it is the first time they're playing there, so it has taken a little bit to get used to the conditions.

Both matches are must-win matches for Pakistan. Any specific instructions for boys and any special plan to win these both matches?

Every game we go into, we want to win. And I'll be brutally honest, I don't think we've played to our full potential this tournament yet. I thought the Bangladesh game is the first game where we actually put a complete game together. We batted beautifully, bowled beautifully, and fielded beautifully, which in all the other games, we've done one or two disciplines OK, but our other disciplines let us down. So, I'd like to say we're peaking, but the preparation of the guys and the attitude of the guys' will to get better every day, that has been exceptional. So, I can't fault anybody in terms of that. But we found our best game against Bangladesh and I just hope that's not too late for us.

Being on the road continuously, how much does that affect the team? Because like we said, they're used to it in the IPL, but this again is a novelty for the Pakistan team. How much has that been a factor?

As a Pakistan team, we play a hell of a lot of cricket. So being on the road is nothing new for these guys. What has been tough is the fact that we've been under a massive amount of security. So, I've sort of taken it back. And to be fair, I found it difficult. It's almost like we've been back in the COVID times, where you were almost secluded to your floor and your team room. So much so that their breakfast is in a separate room to everybody else. So, it's almost, that's been the tough aspect.

The aspect about being on the road is, our boys are used to it. But when they're on the road, they've still been able to get out and go and have meals, etc., at different places, and get out on their own accord where we haven't been able to do this time. And that's been tough. That has been quite stifling.

It certainly does. It definitely does. And I've seen it with some players where it has been, you wake up again and it's like Groundhog Day. It's exactly the same. You have breakfast and if it's a non-training day, you're back to your room. We've tried to have sort of little fun team events and whatever within our team room. But you know, there's only so much you can recreate. I think the guys have been out three times - we've managed to do that with security, get them out to a different restaurant or whatever, just to give them a little bit of a taste of the outside world.

There is some noise from outside the field. They have to win big, they have to hope that the results go their way, so it's an adverse situation for the side so how much motivation do you think these players draw from such situations because this is a classic Pakistan World Cup campaign?

Yeah, everybody tells me it's the classic World Cup campaign. And I hate that, because I'd rather, that we were cruising now and things had been really good, it would certainly be a lot less stressful. But again, we got ourselves into a position before the Bangladesh game where it was kind of out of our hands and it's come back in a funny way into our hands again because albeit we've got to win and win big in both our games, it's still in our control, which it wasn't before the Bangladesh game. We had obviously a really good result there. And then South Africa did us a little bit of a favour as well. So, it's kind of pushed it back into our hands, albeit a long shot.

But look, we actually spoke about it as a group yesterday in our one-on-one skill meetings. The one thing that amazes me, and it's amazed me so much with the Pakistan players, is generally how calm they are. You know, it's like, I'm a cat on a hot tin roof, the players are just really calm. They kind of take it in their stride. And that's the feeling I got before the Bangladesh game. And it's certainly the feeling I'm getting right now. So, yeah, we're in a decent place.

The last game we played against Australia was pretty high-scoring encounter. But we saw the New Zealand - Sri Lanka game was pretty low scoring encounter. So, comes with a bowling unit are they under sort of pressure to find out a kind of solution? What would be your approach going on this track again? Are you going to like control runs or directly go for wickets? What's the solution for this?

Yeah, we've looked through all the stats on the ground for day games. We've factored that into our equation. We've looked at- is it spin favourable, is it pace bowler favourable, what's the mean score. So, we've done a hell of a lot of research into this venue for day games because a lot of the research you get is at night. We've done it for day games, and we've tried to mould a game plan around that.

Now, we obviously have a couple of concerns still in terms of personnel within the team before we can make a final decision. But we've taken all those factors into account and we're trying to put what we think is our best team for these conditions tomorrow.

Sitting outside, we have been calculating, okay, this margin, this margin, that margin can Pakistan take, surpass. So do you have this thing in your mind that if we can win by around 85 runs, it will take us above New Zealand in net run rate. So, do you, I mean, this thing is in your mind that we have to not only to win, but also to pass, surpass New Zealand on net run rate?

Yeah, look, of course it is. It is based on and during the Calcutta chase, I had every scenario in my pocket as to if we won in 25 overs, if we won in 26 overs, 27 overs. So, we kind of knew as to how we were going to eat into the net run rate of particularly New Zealand. What I didn't factor into was South Africa doing us a favour the next night. So, we do have all those scenarios. Of course, we have those scenarios. I think the first thing for us, though, is we've got to respect our position. New Zealand are a very, very good team. I think they're very well coached. I think they're very well led. I think they're a very experienced cricket team. We've got to respect it. And once we get ourselves in a position, only then can we start talking about those net run rates. Now, I'll have all the information, but I won't necessarily give it to the players until we feel the time is right to put the foot down and potentially try and close that net run rate because we've still got to win the game as well.

We've seen you discussing things with Babar and Grant at the end of the practice session. Did we expect any change in tomorrow's game? Maybe Hassan Ali comes in for Haris Rauf. As we saw that the last game, you changed Fakhar Zaman and played very brilliantly. So, we expect any change?

If we make change - and just on Haris Rauf does a real role for us. You know, he's kind of our striker. So no, we wouldn't look to change Haris Rauf because he's got a specific role for us within the team. But there is a potential for a game plan change, yes. And you know, Fakhar Zaman was brought in once he cleared his injury, we have to remember that. We would have loved to have Fakhar Zaman available for the whole competition. But once he cleared his injury, we got him right and he gave us some good reward.

A word on the contribution Iftikhar (Ahmed) has made with the ball at this World Cup, especially bowling so much in the first 10 overs.

Yeah, He's been good. Iftikhar's an underrated off spinner. At the start of the tournament, Babar was bowling Ifti (Iftikhar) a couple of overs. And Ifti always used to come off going, coach, coach, I'm a 10-over bowler. And I love that. I love that kind of attitude from Ifti. And the longer the tournament's gone on, the more he's bowled and done a really good job for us.

So, I'm really happy with his contribution.
Honestly it's a solid interview by mickey.

I'm glad he's not hiding behind the IPL excuse and acknowledges the team can play better.

He's also the one who got rid of shehzad and adopted fakhar as our front line opener in ct.

He's also the one who wanted babar at no 3, and Babar was solid at no 3. Babar regressed when he stopped listening to mickey.

Mickey wasn't a bad coach, when misbah came back, everyone was begging to bring Mickey back. The guy k ew what he was doing. He also wanted abid Ali to open with fakhar. Imam was just a nesseary evil to get rid of shehzad permanently.

It's just rn, Babar doesn't listen to anyone. He threatens to walk out if his team is selected. And the person selecting his team is director Rizwan

He's also the one who got rid of shehzad and adopted fakhar as our front line opener in ct.

He's also the one who wanted babar at no 3, and Babar was solid at no 3. Babar regressed when he stopped listening to mickey.

Mickey wasn't a bad coach, when misbah came back, everyone was begging to bring Mickey back. The guy k ew what he was doing. He also wanted abid Ali to open with fakhar. Imam was just a nesseary evil to get rid of shehzad permanently.

It's just rn, Babar doesn't listen to anyone. He threatens to walk out if his team is selected. And the person selecting his team is director Rizwan

PCB needed to give Mickey Arthur and the coaching staff complete control over the squad. Najam Sethi did but the moment Zaka Ashraf took charge, rumours started that the new PCB administration wanted to do away with the coaching staff. You can understand why Mickey was hessitant to give up his Derbyshire job for the unreliable PCB.

PCB needed to give Mickey Arthur and the coaching staff complete control over the squad. Najam Sethi did but the moment Zaka Ashraf took charge, rumours started that the new PCB administration wanted to do away with the coaching staff. You can understand why Mickey was hessitant to give up his Derbyshire job for the unreliable PCB.
Mickey was never going to give up his job regardless.

He knows for a fact that pcb is a Crybaby management.

Sarfraz and mickey did not deserve to be sacked after landing 5th and just missing out on semi finals.

Rn, what has 2023 achieved? We've beaten the weakest teams of the tournament.

If we lose to nz and beat England that means we lost to every single quality team in the tournament and only beat the 4 weakest?

Atleast in 2019 we beat the finalists and who knows what would have happened if the Pakistan vs Sri Lanka game took place given Pakistan's wc track record against Sri lanka

Agree, he's tactically acute. He understands who should be in the team and where they should be playing.

But the culture he instills is not a good one. When he was our coach it was all about milestones, being the #1 ranked team, having the #1 ranked bowlers and batsmen etc.

That means nothing, when your players reach these milestones, they feel they have nothing left to prove and lose the motivation to keep playing at the top of their game.

Even when he talks about how calm the players are, that should be worrying. Cricket is a game of emotion, you want them expressing that emotion. You want your bowlers in the face of batsmen, you want your batsmen taking on bowlers.

When you're projecting calmness and playing for milestones, you're bottling in the emotion which leads to cockiness and eventually underperformance. Because you feel as though you have nothing left to prove to anyone.

What you want is for the guys to come together as a team. If one guy fails, for another to put his hand up and say "don't worry bro, I got your back". Mickey is good at identifying talent, but poor at developing them mentally.

Agree, he's tactically acute. He understands who should be in the team and where they should be playing.

But the culture he instills is not a good one. When he was our coach it was all about milestones, being the #1 ranked team, having the #1 ranked bowlers and batsmen etc.

That means nothing, when your players reach these milestones, they feel they have nothing left to prove and lose the motivation to keep playing at the top of their game.

Even when he talks about how calm the players are, that should be worrying. Cricket is a game of emotion, you want them expressing that emotion. You want your bowlers in the face of batsmen, you want your batsmen taking on bowlers.

When you're projecting calmness and playing for milestones, you're bottling in the emotion which leads to cockiness and eventually underperformance. Because you feel as though you have nothing left to prove to anyone.

What you want is for the guys to come together as a team. If one guy fails, for another to put his hand up and say "don't worry bro, I got your back". Mickey is good at identifying talent, but poor at developing them mentally.
Your last words gold at talent but poor at developing sums up everything perfectly.

I agree with you

Have same opinion as yours.

He talks good talk and never misses to use populist statements that will endear him to gullible Pak cricket fans and sometimes even journalists/media personnel. Rarely ever takes responsibility for team’s failings (always almost blames someone or something from outside).

Pakistan actually does have a full time coach
Arthur Is the Director- not the coach
Oh acha. Najam really wanted him to be the coach, was insisting on it a lot. Maybe looking for CT 17 glory.

Back