[EXCLUSIVE] “No greater test of your captaincy skills than leading a team to Australia”: Jason Gillespie

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, former Australian fast bowler and current coach of South Australia, Jason Gillespie, chats with Saj Sadiq about:

• The spat between Mitchell Johnson and David Warner.
• How Australian players develop and maintain their mental toughness.
• Pat Cummins' brilliant captaincy.
• Strategies Pakistan can employ to beat Australia.
• Shaheen Shah Afridi's bowling.
• Whether Babar Azam's batting will improve now that he has the burden of captaincy removed.
• Lance Morris, the fastest bowler in Australia.
• His views on Shan Masood being appointed as Pakistan's Test captain.

Well, Gillespie is so humble and interestingly he has better insights into Shaan's captaincy which shows he follows Pakistan cricket.

Given the praise Gillespie has shown on Morris for his pace now I would love to see this guy bowling at Perth.

Shan has his work cut out - not only is his captaincy but his own batting which will be analysed to death.

What he said about Morris is scary.

I'm pretty sure we'll see him at some point in the upcoming series.

3-0 a banker it seems.

Gillespie as always is articulate , polished and insightful. One of the nicest Aussies I have known , and there aren’t too many of them 😁.

Though I am Indian , I sincerely want Pakistan to do well in this series . While a series win may be too much to ask for , a couple of hard fought test matches would be wonderful to see as a cricket lover . Especially chuffed at the prospect of Babar Azam facing up to the fearsome Aussie pace battery in Perth .

This is were legends are made !

Captaincy was given to a batter who was not liked by many due to his poor run of form and his first assignment as a captain is to travel to Australia to play test series. Too much to ask for. Shan will be butchered if he himself fails as a batter let alone the captaincy.

Gillespie as always is articulate , polished and insightful. One of the nicest Aussies I have known , and there aren’t too many of them 😁.

Though I am Indian , I sincerely want Pakistan to do well in this series . While a series win may be too much to ask for , a couple of hard fought test matches would be wonderful to see as a cricket lover . Especially chuffed at the prospect of Babar Azam facing up to the fearsome Aussie pace battery in Perth .

This is were legends are made !
I think Jason Gillespie would make a good Pakistan Head Coach, if and when the PCB want to hire another foreign coach.

I think Jason Gillespie would make a good Pakistan Head Coach, if and when the PCB want to hire another foreign coach.
Will he or any foreign coach ever agree to PCB role? especially after what we did to Mickey and Grant

For a start, they should have hired him for the tour of Australia.

Will he or any foreign coach ever agree to PCB role? especially after what we did to Mickey and Grant

Lol what did we do to Mickey and Grant? They were asked to earn their paycheques by working with the junior teams and at the NCA, is it beneath them to do it? If yes, they are free to move on and forfeit their severance

Lol what did we do to Mickey and Grant? They were asked to earn their paycheques by working with the junior teams and at the NCA, is it beneath them to do it? If yes, they are free to move on and forfeit their severance

Every foreign coach knows that one bad series..and they are shown exit door.. no job security.. why would any foreign coach be willing to work with PCB? Exactly the reason..why Mickey didnt leave his derbyshire job and we proved him right.. Mickey is right..if he doesnt want to work with NCA.. this is not what he was hired for…he had job specification…and we should stock to that..

Results are not easy to come by… it takes long…..Mickey / Grant were given six months..and then given unceremonial exit…atleast they should have been given 2 yrs… although i do disagree with so much lovey dovey stuff by Mickey and Grant…they should have been firm and strict with players…but i doubt any foreign coach would be willing to work with PCB, on a permanent basis…in any foreseeable future

Every foreign coach knows that one bad series..and they are shown exit door.. no job security.. why would any foreign coach be willing to work with PCB? Exactly the reason..why Mickey didnt leave his derbyshire job and we proved him right.. Mickey is right..if he doesnt want to work with NCA.. this is not what he was hired for…he had job specification…and we should stock to that..

Results are not easy to come by… it takes long…..Mickey / Grant were given six months..and then given unceremonial exit…atleast they should have been given 2 yrs… although i do disagree with so much lovey dovey stuff by Mickey and Grant…they should have been firm and strict with players…but i doubt any foreign coach would be willing to work with PCB, on a permanent basis…in any foreseeable future

The PCB rightfully put Mickey in his place, his disinterest and lack of passion with his role this time around was clear and the last thing he needed to do if he wanted to earn the respect of his employers is to joke around that he was ready to go back to Derbyshire if the PCB didn't want him in press conferences of games where the Pakistan team lost to Afghanistan, South Africa.

If Mickey is such a great coach, why can't he make a difference at the NCA or with the Pakistani Junior teams, i am assuming he would still be getting paid the same salary he was hired for? Is it because the role doesn't have much limelight?

@Saj , watching the first session of play at Perth , I have serious questions whether Jason Gillespie would have any solutions to Pakistan's problems . Watching Pakistan bowlers doling out 120-130 kph lollipops on a first day of Test at Perth , tells me that Pak cricket structure needs fixing at a far more fundamental level before a foreign coach like Gillespie can have any meaningful impact . We keep hearing that Pakistan has a few Bumrahs and Shamis in every street , but where are they ? Maybe there indeed is a lot of pace bowling talent which is just getting wasted due to improper grooming . Would a person like Gillespie be able to come in and inspire these changes at the grass root level in Pakistan - seems very unlikely to me .

Pakistan clearly needs a visionary PCB director , who gets a fairly long stint , who can bring in these changes to the domestic structure and develop talent as it comes through the ranks . After this is done , a person like Gillespie can work wonders with the team and get results .

Cricket desperately needs a strong Pakistan and West Indies . And I do hope this happens sooner rather than later

Jason Gillespie would have any solutions to Pakistan's problems
Nobody can help this bowling line-up until they get out of this frame of mind that they are an automatic choice here. They are not trying enough to make some impact.

Nobody can help this bowling line-up until they get out of this frame of mind that they are an automatic choice here. They are not trying enough to make some impact.
Are you convinced they have the ability ? Barring shaheen ?

These bowlers are capable but I don't see any intent from these guys. Looking so casual in bowling as if nothing is happening.
If a first day fast and bouncy Perth track doesnt get your juices going as a bowler , I dont know what will . Sorry to say , I still cannot understand how intent is the only problem here

Field placings were a bit more thoughtful from Shan Masood. But this unit is too poor for a good captain to make any difference. Your fitness levels will be tested. Best case scenario for Pakistan is collecting a draw by batting long.

@Saj , watching the first session of play at Perth , I have serious questions whether Jason Gillespie would have any solutions to Pakistan's problems . Watching Pakistan bowlers doling out 120-130 kph lollipops on a first day of Test at Perth , tells me that Pak cricket structure needs fixing at a far more fundamental level before a foreign coach like Gillespie can have any meaningful impact . We keep hearing that Pakistan has a few Bumrahs and Shamis in every street , but where are they ? Maybe there indeed is a lot of pace bowling talent which is just getting wasted due to improper grooming . Would a person like Gillespie be able to come in and inspire these changes at the grass root level in Pakistan - seems very unlikely to me .
It's difficult to predict really.

At the moment Pakistan is a very average Test team. Expecting anyone to come in and perform miracles is wishful thinking.

However someone like Gillespie would certainly improve the mindset, sort a few egos out and possibly improve some of the pacers.

It's difficult to predict really.

At the moment Pakistan is a very average Test team. Expecting anyone to come in and perform miracles is wishful thinking.

However someone like Gillespie would certainly improve the mindset, sort a few egos out and possibly improve some of the pacers.
Do you see any chance of his collaboration with PCB anytime soon? Is he under any consideration at any level by PCB? Though i seriously doubt he will accept Pak offer, even if offered.

Do you see any chance of his collaboration with PCB anytime soon? Is he under any consideration at any level by PCB? Though i seriously doubt he will accept Pak offer, even if offered.
He's coaching South Australia, so there is no chance at the moment.

But who knows, maybe in the future.

The other thing is he won't take any nonsense from the players or Board, so that could be a problem.

Did Shan fail badly in his first test of captaincy against Australia?

I think Shan has probably done better than most people expected.

There have been some errors obviously but I don't think he's been a total disaster.

259 Test wickets, alongside 142 ODI wickets

An unbeaten 201 in his final Test match, the highest score by a nightwatchman.

On this day in 1975 Australia's former bowler, Jason Gillespie, was born. A very happy birthday to a guy who might be the next head coach of Pakistan Cricket Team.

Back