[EXCLUSIVE] "Changes in captaincy can create animosity between Babar and Shaheen": Mickey Arthur

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan does not seem prepared to head into the T20 World Cup. Babar Azam has been reinstated as captain after being sacked following the 2023 ODI World Cup, and the team management has had changes, and they still haven't figured out their optimal playing XI. With their first game just days away, the team has more questions than answers.

In this episode, Saj speaks with former Pakistan Head Coach Mickey Arthur, under whose leadership Pakistan won the 2017 Champions Trophy. He provides some suggestions and valuable insights into the team, including:

00:14 - Introduction
01:28 - Looking back at the 2023 ODI World Cup
02:23 - On being let go as the Team Director of Pakistan
04:01 - On the instability in Pakistan cricket
06:14 - On Imad Wasim and Mohammad Amir’s comeback
07:00 - Is Shan Masood the right choice as Test captain of Pakistan?
07:34 - On India vs Pakistan
08:44 - On Pakistan's chances in the T20 World Cup
10:04 - Would he coach Pakistan again?
11:06 - Conclusion

Don't miss this candid discussion with someone with extensive coaching experience and success with the Pakistan team.

I don't think Mickey's last stint went well with Pakistan. Online coaching was never gonna work.

TBH, I don't want him to be the head coach again until he fully commits to Pakistan cricket 24/7 PHYSICALLY.

And the animosity between Babar and Shaheen is already apparent. The team seems disjointed, which I keenly observed during Pakistan's T20I series against England. Shaheen didn't seem interested in taking instructions from Babar, and neither did Babar bother to offer him advice.

I don't think Mickey's last stint went well with Pakistan. Online coaching was never gonna work.

TBH, I don't want him to be the head coach again until he fully commits to Pakistan cricket 24/7 PHYSICALLY.
TBH i think that was Najem Sethi's doing. He was the one who appointed Mickey as an online coach. IMO we can have the best coaches, Mickey, Kirsten etc but they wont be able to effect proper change until the PCB itself is more stable and the toxic culture of favoritism and toxic criticism is vanquished.

Coaches are important for a team's good performance but in the end its players who are supposed to finish the job on field. With such acrimonies among team members, the headache for coaches increase manifold

for next match retire babar .. and play rizwan as captain

Last edited by a moderator:
Now let's see if the PCB will go back to Shaheen as white-ball captain again

This was a pitch where it was very hard to hit against the pacers. Pakistan criminally missed out trying to get as much as possible against Axar and Jadeja

Now let's see if the PCB will go back to Shaheen as white-ball captain again
Nothing will change honestly making shaheen captain as long as we have the same playing XI.

Its better to pick players based on merit then even Naseem Shah could start winning games for Pakistan as a captain.

Nothing will change honestly making shaheen captain as long as we have the same playing XI.

Its better to pick players based on merit then even Naseem Shah could start winning games for Pakistan as a captain.
What is the merit.

Azam Khan was the best Number 5 in PSL.
Usman Khan was probably the best batter in the PSL.
Shadab Khan made runs and took wickets.
Imad Wasim was MotM in eliminator and finals

Clearly the structure is not working. We need to look beyond stats in mediocre tournaments and see which players have the skill and mindset to play.

Clear to see PSL should never be used as the sole frame of reference when selecting an international squad.

But within all fairness I don’t see many other players who would fare better than these lot.

If some reports are to be believed there is some issues between both Babar and Shaheen...

If some reports are to be believed there is some issues between both Babar and Shaheen...
Of course.

These things don't get resolved on their own. Mr. Mohsin Naqvi probably made the biggest blunder for this generation of Pakistan Cricket. Babar and Shaheen are your best players across all formats. They have future and will play for many years. But in a team game like Cricket, they have to have no animosity against each other.

Of course.

These things don't get resolved on their own. Mr. Mohsin Naqvi probably made the biggest blunder for this generation of Pakistan Cricket. Babar and Shaheen are your best players across all formats. They have future and will play for many years. But in a team game like Cricket, they have to have no animosity against each other.

Mohsin Naqvi is to be blamed for this. Even a kinder garden child could have predicted that removing Shaheen from the captaincy in this manner and to reinstate the previous captain would have hurt the team moral.

The PCB also needs to ensure that anyone who has served in a PSL franchise has to serve a 5 year cooling period before he can serve in the PCB again. The likes of Wahab Riaz, Mohd Yousaf, Abdul Razzaq who were in the selection committee were also connected with the Peshawar Zalmi franchise and it was Javed Afridi's wish to have Babar reinstated as Pakistan's captain. We need to eliminate the influence of the franchises from the affairs of the PCB and the Pakistani Cricket team.

Once it was done, then SSA had to stay for this WC. SSA is about as bright as an eclipse but deserved better than the some nothing thinking about the impact of changes in captaincy after only one series. The concept of Izzat- bezeti is incredibly strong and this has created an atmosphere which a pretty average set of players and team didn't need.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the merit.

Azam Khan was the best Number 5 in PSL.
Usman Khan was probably the best batter in the PSL.
Shadab Khan made runs and took wickets.
Imad Wasim was MotM in eliminator and finals

Clearly the structure is not working. We need to look beyond stats in mediocre tournaments and see which players have the skill and mindset to play.
We know how Azam Khan got this award where rizwan was the highest run scorer and was excellent with gloves.

we can give a bit of edge to Usman whose career is just started in Pakistan

Shadab? where did he score runs buddy? and taking wickets after giving 50 odd runs doesnt help at all

Imad Wasim was horrible through out the PSL, just one good inning and we called him back into the team

where is ur highest wicket taker of PSL Usama Mir?

Where is ur highest run scorer of National cup Sahibzada Farhan?

i can list u way more blunders which pakistan has made specially our king maker Wahab Riaz.

i know we have a weak structure but atleast try to get something out of it which is on merit, not on personal likings and dislikings!

Honestly is Babar even asking for captaincy? Dont think he enjoys it too much....it seems like it is more of appointment by PCB.

Dont think Shaheen and Babar will have grudges between themselves if matter is being decided at PCB level. They should infact have common grudge against PCB

We know how Azam Khan got this award where rizwan was the highest run scorer and was excellent with gloves.

we can give a bit of edge to Usman whose career is just started in Pakistan

Shadab? where did he score runs buddy? and taking wickets after giving 50 odd runs doesnt help at all

Imad Wasim was horrible through out the PSL, just one good inning and we called him back into the team

where is ur highest wicket taker of PSL Usama Mir?

Where is ur highest run scorer of National cup Sahibzada Farhan?

i can list u way more blunders which pakistan has made specially our king maker Wahab Riaz.

i know we have a weak structure but atleast try to get something out of it which is on merit, not on personal likings and dislikings!
Yeah but even the top scorers end up being low quality players. Usama Mir has been given many chances, he frankly gets hit every single game. Sometimes he gets out performed by Shadab with the bowl and that is saying something

I don't think Sahibzada looks much better. Will also turn out to be another Hack.

The frequent changes in the PCB chairmanships is one of the reasons we don't see consistent results with Pakistan cricket team.

Honestly is Babar even asking for captaincy? Dont think he enjoys it too much....it seems like it is more of appointment by PCB.

Dont think Shaheen and Babar will have grudges between themselves if matter is being decided at PCB level. They should infact have common grudge against PCB

No one put a gun on Babar's to accept the captaincy, no one can. The excuses being made by him and his fan club led by Ramiz Raja that why blame me, the PCB offered me the captaincy, if they offered me the captaincy then why should i refuse it? A person with integrity would have taken a more honorable position i.e. now is not the right time to change the captain, i don't want the captaincy, please keep Shaheen as captain for atleast a year till the T-20 WC. But no, Babar made full use of the opportunity to snatch and yank the captaincy back.

No wonder he lost the dressing room and his standing in the team.

Back