[EXCLUSIVE] Mike Hesson excited for his maiden PSL stint with Islamabad United

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The newly appointed head coach of Islamabad United, Mike Hesson, joins Saj Sadiq for an exclusive interview. The former head coach of New Zealand shed light on a variety of topics including PSL, coaching, his director of cricket role at RCB and much more.

Nice to see that we are getting some very good professional coaches like hesson in PSL which will surely help youngsters to improve their game and his association with PSL will also raise the standards of this league around the world immensely.

Mike Hesson has a successful coaching career. He led New Zealand and worked with Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL. He's known for innovative coaching, focusing on player development, and building strong team cultures.

Islamabad United, a popular PSL team, won twice. They expect Hesson to repeat success and bring a fresh perspective.

Challenges:

1. Adapting to a new league, environment, and different playing conditions.
  2. Balancing fan and management expectations with developing young players and team unity.
It's an exciting opportunity. Hesson's experience and coaching style could fit well. Success depends on his adaptability, relationship-building, and getting the best from players.

Mike Hesson is a good coach lets see if he could add another trophy to IU trophy cabinet.

Hesson is really one of the best thinkers of the game and IU are lucky to have him + they already a strong squad
1) His background was crazy nice, makes me want to visit NZ
2) His comments on Azam seemed too diplomatic. I hope he can convince him to get in better shape.
3) His comments on Imad make me wish that Imad takes back his retirement
4) I really hope we get to see all Shah brothers play together.

I'll be interested to see what he does with the younger guys in the squad.

To me the PSL has to focus more on developing young talent, especially batters each year.

Let's see how he handles the language barrier within the team specially when communicating with young kids.

good interview. Mike hesson is serioiusly underrated. he has fantastic insights, he recognizes talents very quickly. One of themain guys who backed Washington Sundar in the indian setup/IPL for royal challengers Banglore.
He has a very good eye for fielding techniques. If used properly, can benefit your PSL team very well.

good interview. Mike hesson is serioiusly underrated. he has fantastic insights, he recognizes talents very quickly. One of themain guys who backed Washington Sundar in the indian setup/IPL for royal challengers Banglore.
He has a very good eye for fielding techniques. If used properly, can benefit your PSL team very well.
Shadab is in poor form. The main thing is how Mike will impact his performance in PSL 9.

Islamabad United have all three Shah brothers but it would be interesting to see if they play any game together. For me, United made a good decision of replacing Azaha Mahmood with Mike Hesson. Shadab performance and form would be a big factor in the results of Islamabad United this year.

Let's see who will be the quickest and take the most wickets in PSL-9.

Will Ubaid Shah and Hunain Shah outshine Naseem Shah?

7czd72q.jpg

Hesson must be pleased with Hunain, not sure about Ubaid

I'm pretty sure Hesson will be frustrated with how his team has played so far.

Some sloppy cricket all round, basic errors and below par performances.

Expect some changes and some new ideas soon.

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't come back after this year and has enough after his maiden PSL stint either after seeing the amount of unprofessional cricket on display.

IU looked invincible coming into this PSL. Best coaches and best squad by a country mile. At this rate, they won't even make the play-offs haha. But I expect a big comeback from them in the remaining games.

He's looked frustrated at times.

Like a coach who is thinking what the hell is going on out there.

So far, I have noticed a slight change in Shadab's bowling action, and he has performed well in bowling in this on going PSL. Mike Hesson should also ensure to give Shadab Khan consistent chances as a batter because he has the potential to be a top order batter.

Since Mike Hesson started coaching IU, the team has been performing like a genuine top-class league team, similar to what we usually see in the IPL. Acrobat fielding, quick and tight line and control bowling, and power-hitting batting are evident.

Mike Hesson is a good coach; he has backed a lot of youngsters in RCB such as Sundar, Padikkal, Akash Deep, Patidar, etc.

Since 2019, Islamabad United is the only franchise not to have made a single final!

Can Hesson change that?

Mike Hesson has won it with IU, has done the magic in WPL but can't do it for Men RCB as they are jinxed.

Back