Fast Bowling tips [Merged]

um786

Debutant
Runs
Can anyone give me some fast bowling tips?

I'm only a teenager but lack of pace is keeping my bowling down:akhtar

find some good nets and bowl to some good batsmen bowl bowl and bowl till u get tired ask some one to help with your action and most important follow-through

Eat red meat :D

No seriously, I'd say about 60% of the pace comes from your action and wrist position. The other 40% comes from effort.

Best piece of advice would be to study a few good pace bowlers and try and model your action on one of them. Work in conjunction with your coach so he can spot any deviations and errors in your action.

I recall Dale Steyn saying somewhere that he tried to model his action on Jimmy Anderson. It's his wrist position and movements that he worked on on his own. Hard to believe when you look at where they are now. So keep in mind that just because you model your action on someone else, doesn't mean that they will always be a better bowler than you. you can always add something to your armoury that can make you better.

Lil bro listen carefully...

PUSH UPS!!

got it?Now give me 50 right now!

get a tape ball and bowl at no batsman if you have to for hours and hours evan in the heat

thats what shoaib used to do

one suggestion

try doing knuckle pushups...it will

strenghten your wrists...its as much wrist action as it is shoulder action

Last edited:
Woo hoo another pacer in the making =D

Only a month or so ago did i start to focus on sheer fast bowling as well and here is what i've learned

Study Actions of Shoaib Akhtar , Wahab Riaz/Johnson and Steyn atleast

Copy them and mix them until you can even close your eyes and bowl Fast and at the right place.

Keypoints - Side on = more pace = less accuracy
Wrist = Very very important
Shoulder = must be strong
legs = must be strong

Drink some Shakes daily and keep Practicing

P.s i am able to get head hieght bounce in my garden with 3-4 steps on a surface that is always wet and absorbs all the speed/force etc and the ball simply sticks to the ground .Is it time i went to a proper Club/Academy or something ?

i have a side on action and yh nearly everyday i drink milkshake but i find my run up hard to do and get a good rhythm from it

stop thinking about line and length try to bowl fast

Woo hoo another pacer in the making =D

Only a month or so ago did i start to focus on sheer fast bowling as well and here is what i've learned

Study Actions of Shoaib Akhtar , Wahab Riaz/Johnson and Steyn atleast

Copy them and mix them until you can even close your eyes and bowl Fast and at the right place.

Keypoints - Side on = more pace = less accuracy
Wrist = Very very important
Shoulder = must be strong
legs = must be strong

Drink some Shakes daily and keep Practicing

P.s i am able to get head hieght bounce in my garden with 3-4 steps on a surface that is always wet and absorbs all the speed/force etc and the ball simply sticks to the ground .Is it time i went to a proper Club/Academy or something ?

thanks anyway and yh try joining a team

Finding your rhythm or the right action is NOT AT ALL easy . Just Daily keep Practicing , and you will find your action "evolving" keep adjusting it where its comfortable and you are able to fast and eventually you will settle on one and soon the rhythm will come!

Finding your rhythm or the right action is NOT AT ALL easy . Just Daily keep Practicing , and you will find your action "evolving" keep adjusting it where its comfortable and you are able to fast and eventually you will settle on one and soon the rhythm will come!

I have found the perfect action but my run up is hard, I cant get any rhythm from it

make sure your arm is loose when bowling, it'll add some flexibility and increase arm speed :akhtar

Dont what ever you do DO NOT BEND FRONT LEG. look at all the fastest bowlers round the world none of them bend their front leg. Keep it braced and bend back leg. This puts more pressure on back and body but gives you alot more pace.

How not to chuck?

I can bowl pretty fast but they don't allow me to bowl during matches. :yk

How not to chuck?

In case you are serious , which seems to not be the case :akhtar . you should try

1- Bowl front on
2- use an action like jimmy anderson i.e take you bowling arm above to head level then bring it down swing it and bowl .
3- Try to get the pace from you shoulder and wrist !

Millions of Indians unregistered on PP probably refreshing this thread every second to get more tips to improve their phaasht bowling. :yk

Best Tip: Make sure you are not Indian or move out of india at young age.

Here's a tip never listen to an Indian tip :))

Seriously though, I'm a Leg Spinner and Have started to bowl fast now
I tried Dale Steyn action, I don't get much speed and bowls usually go down leg side.
I found some success with shaun taits action, I get the bowl to swing a bit and come down with quite a bit of pace.

Do it how brett lee does.

If you are a right handed bowler.. swing your left hand down soooooooooooooooo fast like a boss that your right hand just swings in to release the ball at speed

I don't know why people try to copy other bowler's actions, lol? Make your own action? Certainly, BASE your action on a bowler whose action you find simple and efficient, but don't completely copy his action itself.

Shaun Tait's action is built and completely customized for Shaun Tait's strengths. Lee's action is built and customized for Lee's strengths. So is Akhtar's, Aamer's, everybody else's in the world. Don't copy them, it won't even work half as well for you.

I myself have tried many actions which include Allan Donald ,Craig Mcdarmitt,Whitny and zahid ,but after few delivers i found each of them unnatural to me , so i just thought myself not to think of action but instead focus on few things which are :
Having a high jump action
Running with the pace that comforts me most ( before i had the illusion that I have come in running to bowl fast ,which untimatly tire me up quickly and make me loose my rythym ).
Giving my arms a free flow.
And in the end when I got these things sorted i worked on the follow through which never existed a couple of paces before.
U can see my bowling video and many guys pointed flows into it which I learned to correct myself by repeated tweaks.
In the video i was trying to emolate Melcom Marshall which is not suitable to me ,I realsied pretty soon.
Now my action is much more fluent .The key is i never think of copying anyone ,thats really helped mea lot in developing my own approach .
And in the end one must have a real desire and passion to bowl fast otherwise one just looses hope quickly and give up.

Hope all this benefits u .

Last edited:
eat cow meat and lots of meat. ONLY cow meat contains necesary ingredients to make you ball faster.

The key is i never think of copying anyone

Not true , What i actually said above was

"Study Actions of Shoaib Akhtar , Wahab Riaz/Johnson and Steyn atleast

Copy them and mix them until you can even close your eyes and bowl Fast and at the right place."

Let me evaluate further

I named those three because

Shoaib Akhtar has a Side-on'ish Action Without Much Movement of the Bowling Arm .

Wahab has a Slingy Action

Steyn has a typical fast-Medium bowlers action but is able to get some extra kph's Due to his GREAT wrist

They all have different actions and are "very basically" the commonly used actions . When you copy them and bowl you obviously would not fit into them , but the more you will bowl the more you will learn about your body and what suits it and you will your self adjust/ Merge / Create an Action that suites you !

get a tape ball and bowl at no batsman if you have to for hours and hours evan in the heat

Does that seriously work o_O I tried it but i couldn't get my line or length right AT ALL . There is no seam and the ball is so light X_X

since we are on the subject I gonna ask something that's been bugging me as well :D

The Jump before i deliver the ball , if i jump higher it means i have to slow down as i come sprinting in . But if i make it sort of minimal , I can bowl without slowing down MUCH and in turn get better pace .... Whats the better option of the two?

thanks this has really helped and now i sorted it out and gained some pace

How to bowl faster

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gqaDxk8CTlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

example

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PWSOREYKHZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Try to get momentum form your run up and use the power of your shoulder, it's not the bicep it's the momentum.:akhtar

Momentum from run up is motivated and having a crazy long rum upp like Akhtar had for most of his careeer does not really help from my experience.
I think that the last 4-5 paces and the stride before delivering is most important in pace

Momentum from run up is motivated and having a crazy long rum upp like Akhtar had for most of his careeer does not really help from my experience.
I think that the last 4-5 paces and the stride before delivering is most important in pace

I think Akhtar's run-up was only unique to him.

He required that run-up for rhythm and to scare the batsmen.

He showed us on a few occasions that he could bowl 95 MPH off a really small run-up. I think each bowler has to pick a run-up style that makes them feel comfortable.

Amir wasn't the most lean, yet he bowled consistently in the 85-92mph range.

No substitute for natural talent.

Err.. discard all Ian 'My homeboy Atul will break them bones' Pont videos for a start lol.

I think you get faster the more you bowl, the body naturally becomes stronger anyway and your muscles just adapt to the action of bowling and it becomes natural the more and more you do it. Core exercises are probably the best starting point though and anything that improves flexibility.

waise I think OP is telling us, not asking us. :sami

tips to bowl faster

hey guys my name is Sai and i want to learn how to bowl faster.

im 17 years old and i try pace bowling but sometimes i cant achieve the pace that i once used to have. it's probably that i lost 10-12 pounds in recent months but i want to know how to bowl faster with my current physique.

please recommend me any excersices or anything that can help me with my problem.

thank you

I always find that extra yard of pace by whipping my non-bowling arm down, it helps to bring my bowling arm over.

Smooth run up, nice simple action, and follow through completely. I feel that I'm bowling fastest when I follow through almost half way down the track. However, this shouldn't feel as a forceful follow through, rather it should be with the momentum that you gathered from the run up.

Oh and also, there are a lot of fine things to note when bowling fast. As sultanator mentioned, you're non-bowling arm, and there is also where your foot lands. Make sure your toes are pointing straight down the track. (Get a friend to check for you, cause its near impossible to see where you're foot is pointing whilst you are bowling)

Smooth run up, nice simple action, and follow through completely. I feel that I'm bowling fastest when I follow through almost half way down the track. However, this shouldn't feel as a forceful follow through, rather it should be with the momentum that you gathered from the run up.

Oh and also, there are a lot of fine things to note when bowling fast. As sultanator mentioned, you're non-bowling arm, and there is also where your foot lands. Make sure your toes are pointing straight down the track. (Get a friend to check for you, cause its near impossible to see where you're foot is pointing whilst you are bowling)

thanks soo much bro. do u kno any excesises that can improve my pace?

Eat beef. :afridi

lol jk, run. Run for your life and then run some more. Stretch, get the body loose and hit the gym and work up some core strength. I've never played cricket seriously in my life but I'd hazard a guess you need some level of balance and core stability to throw the ball down properly.

The Indian selectors don't look at pace so don't worry.

these are not the answers im looking for! why are u bringing up the indian selectors?? did i even mention i want to play for the indian team or even play professionally for that matter? man i came to this forum for straight answers not getting stupid answers about the indian selectors.

and if u are trying to make a joke with this statement then frick off man! the indian selectors have actually selected good players to make us win the worldcup unlike ur crappy team!

Last edited:
Back