Find express fast bowlers in Pakistan

pacesensation

Local Club Star
Runs
If pakistan has to start winning again then we need to find express fast bowlers. Our batting will be like that dont expect anything special from haris sohail but you can go and search for fast bowlers. They are there just find them.

What do you mean they are there just go and find them? The fact is there isno one that balls 150kph + on a regular basis. I'm sure if there was we would have seen him in the team. The fact is we don't have an Akhtar or zahid. Besides that is not addressing our real problem which is thechical batsmen with brains and patience and temperament .

no we dont need express pace. dale steyn doesnt bowl 150 kph. we need swingers and real ones. who can swing them. We need three junaid khans in our team.

Find express fast bowlers

Lets just pluck them from trees shall we

the pace factory in pakistan is barre now , we must rely on trundlers like junaid , gul and rahat.

the pace factory in pakistan is barre now , we must rely on trundlers like junaid , gul and rahat.

Junaid is a trundler??? seriously enough with the knee jerking.

the trundler junaid has performed twice as well as Amir in the subcontinent and is a better bowler than Amir ever was.

Akhtar has said in many interviews in order to find pace bowlers you must go looking in the outskirts, not just focus on the main cities alone.

Irfanullah Shah is one guy who may fit in this category.Also,maybe Zia as well.

PLease no more bowlers, find half decent batsmen then what we have

Don't need pace. Steyn is the best in the world because his outswinger is unbeatable and no one has an answer to it. Swings it around like a banana incredibly late and at such precision that an edge is always induced, no matter who is batting.

It would be orgasmic to have Steyn on one end and Waqar on the other. One who bowls a banana ball going out and the other a banana ball going in.

Pak's bowling will be always good. Its their batting that sucks outside subcontinent. Show me a Pak batsman who did will in conditions like Aus, England and in SA over the years? None. Even Inzi had just 30+ avg on bouncy wickets I think.

Bring Irfanullah shah at international level
he is from Under-19 level
Taken 55 wickets in 8 three day Un-19 level matches
pace-140kph average
Height is like Umar gul

Very good Fast bowler
Remember Wasim akram not played any first class match before Debut at International level

Last edited:
Express bowlers don't mean jack, look at Sami/ Tait. I will take a Mcgrath or Pollock over Akthar / Lee anyday of the week.

I hope Dale Steyn leaves some deep psychological scars on Pakistan (not only the batsmen, but the bowlers, selectors, ... chaiwala, all). Remember watching in 'Fire in Babylon' that when the WI toured Australia in '75, they were not only whitewashed 6-0, but Lillee and Thomson were toying with their batsmen, Viv Richards saying that some of them even genuinely feared for their health. The WI did have fast bowlers, Roberts and a Holding on debut who used to cry at racist remarks, but they were not the WI bowlers we heard all about - all intimidating the batsmen with pacy bouncers and trying to break the ribs and jaws. That changed happen after the disastrous tour, in order to 'serve them cold what we were offered'.

I'm always supporting the team, but I hope that Dale Steyn looks like a butcher who faces XI little chickens and asks himself at which unfortunate little soul throws his axe this time.
It should enact a thought process in the whole country and launch a MASSIVE PCB talent hunt - don't get me wrong, I don't expect the WI attack of the 70s, but ONE genuine (GENUINELY) fast bowler, who MIGHT be erratic even if you learn your line and length later on (unless you pull out a Sami) but will put fear into the pads of the batsmen... we already have skilled trundlers anyway, many of them actually (Ehsan Adil on board actually is a good prospect), but these PCB talent hunts should come up with some star material... I mean, I read from time to time that they've found a 6'4'' 16 years old pacer from Panjgur in Balochistan and the same for Kohat in KPK ; that's the isolated areas where we should look at, but contrarily to the precedent 'finds', hire PROFESSIONAL coaches and MONITOR them, POLISH their talent, put them through U15s/U19s then introduce them smoothly into FC cricket.

I'm sure we can at least find ONE fast bowler when Zahid was saying that (nearly) ALL FC teams had FEW of them in the 90s (and that's the words of perhaps the fastest of 'em, ever)! Back then they didn't even find the place in the national squad and now we have peoples feeling nirvana through Gul's -140 lollipops with no seam, no swing, garbage line and length, nothing of a Test bowler... and supposedly the 'leader of our bowling attack'. Ffs, shame for our legacy.

Have high hopes for some U19 kids right now though...

Pak's bowling will be always good. Its their batting that sucks outside subcontinent. Show me a Pak batsman who did will in conditions like Aus, England and in SA over the years? None. Even Inzi had just 30+ avg on bouncy wickets I think.

That's why he's God, not only doing it, but sustaining it at +50 average all that time. :sachin

89242118.png

What about Irfan? you people seem to have forgotten him.. last time I checked the lad bowls at around 145 clicks.. Should have played this match instead of the trundler Rahat.. If we are so scared of injuring Irfan then we should have left him at home..

What about Irfan? you people seem to have forgotten him.. last time I checked the lad bowls at around 145 clicks.. Should have played this match instead of the trundler Rahat.. If we are so scared of injuring Irfan then we should have left him at home..

He was bowling low 130s when he was asked to bowl at the final overs of the ODI matches. Not sure he can sustain that 140+ pace.

He was bowling low 130s when he was asked to bowl at the final overs of the ODI matches. Not sure he can sustain that 140+ pace.

Guy is like 7 feet tall, you can't express at that pace in test cricket. I feel for him when he tries to field... it's got to be hard trying to jump around at that height

When u SAW Lethal Irfan bowling around 130kph
in 1st T-20 Ave pace 143kph
in 2nd T-20 Ave pace 140kph

in 1st Odi Ave pace 138kph
in 2nd Odi Ave pace-139kph
in 3rd odi Ave pace-142kph

from me saying tht they are there you just have to find them. I meant what savak said that "search for them in outskirts"

You wont find them on the first day, we have to search. If waseem is given a handsome amount for the search then i am sure he will go. Pcb is already spending alot on fruitless activities, atleast invest some in finding fast bowlers.

In test cricket. PACE is the real deal not swing. Jeff thompson couldnt swing it but he used to bowl fast and thats what i meant.

To the people saying ''if a bowler was bowling 95 mph in Pakistan, he'd have been recruited by clubs, domestic teams and then NT'', one has to keep in mind that those express bowlers are not born bowling at that speed. Scouts have to identify the speed they are bowling at and how much pacer the bowler can add through professionalization of his game (ie small actions tweaks, fitness, bowling regularly,...). Also, it's hard to judge on speed for youngsters playing tape ball cricket.

If we organize a ''speed contest'' where every single male age 17-25 in Pakistan was be given the hard bowl, it would be a miracle if even 5 are reaching 93 mph. Doesn't mean that we don't have express bowlers...

addition

Lee bowled at 93mph when he was 20 and he bowled about 95-96 mph when he was 23.

Gul bowled 141-144 when he was 19 after 2003 wc but he slowed down over the yrs, now ideally he should have been bowling faster coze he is 27 something, bt his actual age is abt 31 or something.

What i mean is that a fast bowler who bowls 148 or 149 at under 19 level should be considered seriously for seletion when they pcb is looking for genuine pace bowler

addition

Lee bowled at 93mph when he was 20 and he bowled about 95-96 mph when he was 23.

Gul bowled 141-144 when he was 19 after 2003 wc but he slowed down over the yrs, now ideally he should have been bowling faster coze he is 27 something, bt his actual age is abt 31 or something.

What i mean is that a fast bowler who bowls 148 or 149 at under 19 level should be considered seriously for seletion when they pcb is looking for genuine pace bowler

Gul clocked 150 in the 2011 World Cup, he changed his action slightly after that thus lost a bit pace.

Last edited:
PLease no more bowlers, find half decent batsmen then what we have

I don't think you can find batsmen like that... Batsmen needs to be developed by playing longer format cricket in tough conditions... Condition in Pakistan are so easy to bat, we will never develop a batsmen... We are always looking for magic, that is not going to happen in case of batting...

Pakistan gets bowler because of tape ball in early age (tape ball develops much better hand speed and control than hard ball at early age) and the fact that experience is not the most important thing for bowler, aggression, strength and wrist control (that is some what combination of natural action and experience)... Asif naturally had a very good swing, so is Vernon (he has only played 10 tests and is getting wickets left and right)...

I don't think you can find batsmen like that... Batsmen needs to be developed by playing longer format cricket in tough conditions... Condition in Pakistan are so easy to bat, we will never develop a batsmen... We are always looking for magic, that is not going to happen in case of batting...

Pakistan gets bowler because of tape ball in early age (tape ball develops much better hand speed and control than hard ball at early age) and the fact that experience is not the most important thing for bowler, aggression, strength and wrist control (that is some what combination of natural action and experience)... Asif naturally had a very good swing, so is Vernon (he has only played 10 tests and is getting wickets left and right)...

Conditions are same in India yet they have produced so many ATG Batsmen.

Conditions are same in India yet they have produced so many ATG Batsmen.

Conditions are not same in India, their conditions are much more spin friendly. That's why they are better player of spin. This also helps them develop better foot work then us when playing seem bowling because playing spin requires foot work, you cannot stand still and play spin.

shabba boys, laggo apni apni buddhiyan naal bismillah karke tay kaddo koi fast bowler 14 15 saal baad.

This is easier said than done.

When we had Wasim and Waqar that was a golden generation. When the 2 Ws retired, most Pakistanis thought that Pakistan would keep on finding world class fast bowlers of their calibre.....well it didn't happen and frankly I'm not surprised.

When we had Wasim and Waqar that was a golden generation. When the 2 Ws retired, most Pakistanis thought that Pakistan would keep on finding world class fast bowlers of their calibre.....well it didn't happen and frankly I'm not surprised.

we found two potential greats before they screwed up, though they were not express.

Right now the cupboard is empty.

Please dont compare Amir and Asif with Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.....the 2 Ws were different class.

I know the two Ws were in a different league but who knows if Amir and Asif had continued in the way they were progressing they could have been comparable to them..

But no use crying over spilled milk.. now we have Junaid and people like Irfan, Sadaf and Riaz in and around the squad..

Would Pakistan had found Irfan if he was allowed to live the life he was living, working in the factory and if PP had not spoken to Nadeem Iqbal and done a bit of justified Sifariish with the NCA connections?

Nope, point being we are living in cuckoo land if we think all the players we have now playing in domestic cricket, depts and regional teams is the only talent in Pakistan. A lot of potentially talented players given the level of education, illitracy in the country have no idea how to get into the system, how to play first class cricket and eventually how to make the national team let alone the hard work involved, the diet, nutrition, level of training, weights needed to go up from medium pace trundler to fast express.

I know the two Ws were in a different league but who knows if Amir and Asif had continued in the way they were progressing they could have been comparable to them..

But no use crying over spilled milk.. now we have Junaid and people like Irfan, Sadaf and Riaz in and around the squad..

Irfanullah shah (Height 6 foot 3 inch Pace-138kph Average bit like Finn)
Ehsan Adil (Seam bowler like Asif Natural no-8 batsman and Outstanding fielder)
Zia ul haq (Talented Left arm pacer can bowl up to 133kph with 2 step run up like Wasim)

all those Under-19 level fast bowlers are good to

in first class
we have Sadaf huusain,Asad Ali who are very talented

Waqar was different class , but was wasim better than aamir at his age?

Difficult to say really. Amir was world class no doubt, but who knows how his career would have developed even without the 5 year ban.

Savak makes a good point in this thread about finding fast bowlers and just how many are being missed/ignored.

Please dont compare Amir and Asif with Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.....the 2 Ws were different class.

The W's should thank Imran for the guidance, mentoring, babysitting, platter coaching he gave them standing at mid off, mid on doing their thinking for them, teaching them the art of picking up wickets, it was under Imran's sifarish that Waqar got that county stint in Surrey.

Imran taught the W's so much that by the time he left, the W's could hold their own. But if you look at our history barring Imran, Wasim and to an extent Waqar, most of our captains have poorly managed our fast bowlers.

I sometimes wonder Sami with the 90-95 mph pace he had, how would he have fared under Imran's guidance standing at mid off, mid on telling him you are the greatest thing in the world, dont worry about the previous delivery, this is what i want you to do now, this is what you need to work on in the nets. Then spending time with him in the nets.

Imran to this day still supports Sami but bemoans his poor handling by captain, coaches.

Difficult to say really. Amir was world class no doubt, but who knows how his career would have developed even without the 5 year ban.

no one is Talking abt Ehsan,Zia ul haq and Irfanullah shah who are future of Pakistan team,s :(

no one is Talking abt Ehsan,Zia ul haq and Irfanullah shah who are future of Pakistan team,s :(

Are you the designated U-19 bowling talent promoter..

You bring up this bloke "Irfanullah Shah" in every bowling related thread.. we cannot make a detailed judgement unless he plays in the highest level of domestic cricket and any hype before that is useless..

Ehsan Adil is as good as good Junaid khan is give him go in Cape town :)
3rd pacer Irfan/Gul

My brothers here are fixated with FAST , AND I mean FAST bowlers, where the real problem lies we always neglect our batting, top 6 are awful and I mean awful , they hardly won us any test match's even in Pakistan.
If we continue in this way we will be a non competitive test team out side Asia simple we already are in Australia for about 15 years now !

We have and always will have that fire power in FAST bowling, PCB need to be inclusive of all the cricketing regions and be open minded to their approach to how they are going to revitalise the domestic scene!
T20 is Gimmick cricket the real cricket is 4 day game which is bread and butter ,once this is sorted the test team will be sorted , other wise dream on.

Last edited:
Would Pakistan had found Irfan if he was allowed to live the life he was living, working in the factory and if PP had not spoken to Nadeem Iqbal and done a bit of justified Sifariish with the NCA connections?

Nope, point being we are living in cuckoo land if we think all the players we have now playing in domestic cricket, depts and regional teams is the only talent in Pakistan. A lot of potentially talented players given the level of education, illitracy in the country have no idea how to get into the system, how to play first class cricket and eventually how to make the national team let alone the hard work involved, the diet, nutrition, level of training, weights needed to go up from medium pace trundler to fast express.

I agree with you on that... We have to keep in mind 80% of people play cricket in Pakistan never play hard ball cricket... I have seen lot a talented tape ball players, who never played hard ball cricket. Top tier tape ball have reflexes, speed and thinking skills that are top class. The problem is those people are not discovered and some of them are so poor that they will never play hard ball cricket.

The problem with cricket as oppose to Soccer is that it cannot be played the same way on streets, where as soccer upto some extend can be, that's why great soccer players come from streets... Pakistan has more street talent in cricket than probably any other country... What PCB has not done is a way to figure out how to tap that talent.

Last edited:
I agree with you on that... We have to keep in mind 80% of people play cricket in Pakistan never play hard ball cricket... I have seen lot a talented tape ball players, who never played hard ball cricket. Top tier tape ball have reflexes, speed and thinking skills that are top class. The problem is those people are not discovered and some of them are so poor that they will never play hard ball cricket.

The problem with cricket as oppose to Soccer is that it cannot be played the same way on streets, where as soccer upto some extend can be, that's why great soccer players come from streets... Pakistan has more street talent in cricket than probably any other country... What PCB has not done is a way to figure out how to tap that talent.

Great post.

i agree with yasir. too many tape ball players who are very fast but they never just stop playing cricket in early 20s. I think there shold be someway to tap them

Conditions are not same in India, their conditions are much more spin friendly. That's why they are better player of spin. This also helps them develop better foot work then us when playing seem bowling because playing spin requires foot work, you cannot stand still and play spin.

Conditions are also spin friendly here in Pakistan.

Ehsan Adil is as good as good Junaid khan is give him go in Cape town :) 3rd pacer Irfan/Gul
Irfanullah shah (Height 6 foot 3 inch Pace-138kph Average bit like Finn) Ehsan Adil (Seam bowler like Asif Natural no-8 batsman and Outstanding fielder) Zia ul haq (Talented Left arm pacer can bowl up to 133kph with 2 step run up like Wasim) all those Under-19 level fast bowlers are good to in first class we have Sadaf huusain,Asad Ali who are very talented

I said it 2 years ago and I am saying it again
these overhyped batters will never make pakistan a force
its fast bolwers (or quality swing bowlers with decent pace and control) that will make pakistan a world beater again
when you support trundlers like ehsan adil this is what you get(i am surprised that some extremely senior members were supporting him :()
and
Bump!

Give sohail and adil ten games Before writing them off ideally not at the wc
Even jk was rubbish to begin with

How about looking for Pakistani Origin British Players? Ajmal Shahzad great talent, needs a bit of guidance but definetly better than what we got.

Akhtar has said in many interviews in order to find pace bowlers you must go looking in the outskirts, not just focus on the main cities alone.

thats true not just for fast bowlers- almost all the great World Beaters Pakistan has produced have come from outside the main cities

dont worry guys shehzada of pak bowling amir will be back to take pak to the top of international bowling

Again its thinking and mindset. Shoaib Akhar was a bad effect on our young players and emergence of asif mad it even worse.
Look at all these fast bowllers all are strong. If 5 feet tall bhatti can go above 145 than why can't Adil etc.

And those who think stane is medium pacer can keep living in wonderland.

well the way i see it

we lose too many potentials due to tape ball cricket
there are lots of guys who bowl really fast with tape ball
but after school(16 ears) or college(18 years) they give up because its not a certainty whether they are good enough or not

If some how these guys in late teens are asked to come and bowl fast with tape ball
this way we will get a glimpse of them
there is 10k difference of speed in tape ball in hard ball. So if someone bowls at 150 plus which is 140 k/h in hard ball
They should be further groomed

Kick out useless waqar and bring in wasim asap on whatever demands he come in... fire all useless chapraasi type staff instead.... otherwise privatise the management part of PCB. PCB will still come under govt organization but the management part to be tendered out.

Sohail khan can bowl at 140. Ehsan Adil was bowling at 140. Rahat was bowling at 145. we just have to coach them to be better. remember starc just 11 months ago was bowling at 140s and an OK bowler, it was only after coaching that he is now a great prospect and cranking it up to 150+`

We need express fast bowlers who are accurate. Raw pace with no control means nothing.

Wahab was successful today not because of the fact that he was bowling at 90+ but because he bowled intelligently and directed his bouncers at Watson very effectively. The angle he created made him very difficult to handle for Watson. He could have bowled quicker but would have gone for plenty had he bowled line and length that wouldn't have caused Watson much problem.

We need express fast bowlers who are accurate. Raw pace with no control means nothing.

Wahab was successful today not because of the fact that he was bowling at 90+ but because he bowled intelligently and directed his bouncers at Watson very effectively. The angle he created made him very difficult to handle for Watson. He could have bowled quicker but would have gone for plenty had he bowled line and length that wouldn't have caused Watson much problem.

dude it is a given that they have to be accurate

I mean its always a given that from express pace, accuracy has to be there.

But this is what I missed in pakistan for a long time. That whitewash of eng and auss by virtue of our spinners was not that enjoyable because spinners won us that game(most players got out to spinners).

But like I said that this pcb needs to unearth these express pace guys.

Aamer sohail in his interview said that he worked on Wahab Riaz's wrist position which initially was very poor, his better wrist position also helped him gain more pace(maybe he is 29 and thats when quickies peak, so that might also be a reason)

Even if they are raw, they can be coached to bowl accurately

Sohail khan can bowl at 140. Ehsan Adil was bowling at 140. Rahat was bowling at 145. we just have to coach them to be better. remember starc just 11 months ago was bowling at 140s and an OK bowler, it was only after coaching that he is now a great prospect and cranking it up to 150+`

no offense

Express pace means consistently bowling at 90mph+ ie 145+ and at times cranking it up to 150k like wahab riaz do

Ehsan Adil bowls like 10 bowls in 140k out of 60
so does sohail khan

Rahat Ali has talent needs more polishing

did read the most. Starc hardly bowled above 150 11 months ago. he got faster with coaching and now bowls consistently above 145-150 due to coaching.

dude it is a given that they have to be accurate

I mean its always a given that from express pace, accuracy has to be there.

But this is what I missed in pakistan for a long time. That whitewash of eng and auss by virtue of our spinners was not that enjoyable because spinners won us that game(most players got out to spinners).

But like I said that this pcb needs to unearth these express pace guys.

Aamer sohail in his interview said that he worked on Wahab Riaz's wrist position which initially was very poor, his better wrist position also helped him gain more pace(maybe he is 29 and thats when quickies peak, so that might also be a reason)

Even if they are raw, they can be coached to bowl accurately

I agree that the over reliance on chuckers wasn't a great idea. Our success historically has been built on quality fast bowling and we need to back to our roots. I'm done with Pakistan cricket, but the pace bowling future looks bright to me.

Wahab seems to be finally living to his potential and if Amir makes a successful comeback, these two can form a lethal pair. Junaid is a little overrated, but he's decent enough for a third seamer and is quite accurate.

Batting is hopeless, but we look good in the fast bowling department.

I agree that the over reliance on chuckers wasn't a great idea. Our success historically has been built on quality fast bowling and we need to back to our roots. I'm done with Pakistan cricket, but the pace bowling future looks bright to me.

Wahab seems to be finally living to his potential and if Amir makes a successful comeback, these two can form a lethal pair. Junaid is a little overrated, but he's decent enough for a third seamer and is quite accurate.

Batting is hopeless, but we look good in the fast bowling department.

Ehsan Adil is decent as well. Rahat Ali also seems to be bowling well, Also hopefully we can develop a good fast bowling all rounder in Hammad.

Agree with OP. Our batting is always gonna be like this due to lack of facilities in our backyard, but the willingness to bowl fast is always there and we will continue to produce champion bowlers like Wahab. That's the way its gonna be. Just fill your bowling line up with fast bowlers and let em have a crack at the batsmen.
We just gotta accept the reality and strengthen what's our strength.

I would look for batsmen, we are excellent in bowling departments. You need to score runs to defend. ONly finidng bowlers will not always win you games. We have talent its just to somehow unearth it. Send Inzi, Miandad and top batsmen on talent hunt

Ehsan Adil is decent as well. Rahat Ali also seems to be bowling well, Also hopefully we can develop a good fast bowling all rounder in Hammad.

Dude Ehsan Adil has improved pace wise but he is not a match winner

what I want to say is that guys like Wahab Riaz and Muhammad Amir are there, they are needed to be unearthed

Dude Ehsan Adil has improved pace wise but he is not a match winner

what I want to say is that guys like Wahab Riaz and Muhammad Amir are there, they are needed to be unearthed

They might come along with time, Taj Wali and Usman Khan recently looked impressive but they seem raw. Also you can play a combo for once, Junaid, Rahat and Wahab are pretty fine. With Ehsan on bench

They might come along with time, Taj Wali and Usman Khan recently looked impressive but they seem raw. Also you can play a combo for once, Junaid, Rahat and Wahab are pretty fine. With Ehsan on bench

Ehsan adil has no venom or penetration
Even Sohail Khan is better than his at such an old age.

He just does not has what it takes
Taj wali has been talked about alot, maybe is good
Usman Shinwari also is a prospect but toooooooooooooooooooooo raw and wayward

We need to develope our up and coming younger batsman focus on there techniques get the to get used to conditions abroad and also get them used to the pressures of chasing a total our bowling is not a concern

All these lefties but no righties... They could emulate Waqar Younis too you know

If even 10% people understand cricket like u ...cricket will significantly improve here in pak

If even 10% people understand cricket like u ...cricket will significantly improve here in pak

We need to get over this obsession with raw pace, because it looks threatening on the speed guns only if you cannot bowl at the same spot twice. Wahab's overall career shows this. He has been brilliant in patches, because he didn't have good control.

Look at Shaun Tait, 95 mph bowler but was destroyed by local Indian batsmen in the IPL, batsmen who will probably never play for India. At a certain professional level, you are good enough to handle 140-145 kph bowling if you can play your shots, but even the best batsmen in the world will struggle against 87-88 mph fast-medium bowling if you have good control and skills.

Of course, nothing beats express pace + accuracy. With this combo, you get to spells like Wahab produced today.

actually taj wali is not express fast but he is a swing bowler
so he is not someone who can be called fast
express fast = 145-155

waqar was raw but became quite lethal
and like i said, accuracy is a given
muhammad zahid was fast and accurate
shoaib akhtar was fast and accurate

same can go for other fast bowlers

and i am not talking about 140-145
i am talking about 145-155kph bowlers

which I still insist are present in pakistan
our domestic ball players are

besides our domestic cricket balls are poor quality, even if someone can swing them both ways, they will struggle when it comes to international cricket

Back