Five match-ups that could prove decisive in the World Cup final

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Five match-ups that could prove decisive in the World Cup final

India take on Australia in the 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup final in Ahmedabad on Sunday with a host of key individual battles likely to be pivotal in the outcome.

It's the biggest stage of all and two of the best teams in the competition are going up against each other with the World Cup up for grabs. We discuss five potential match-ups that could swing the final in Ahmedabad on Sunday.

Josh Hazlewood v Virat Kohli

Virat Kohli, fresh off a record 50th One Day International ton, has a massive negative match-up to counter in the World Cup final in Ahmedabad. In 88 balls against Hazlewood in ODIs, Kohli has been dismissed five times, including once in the league match between these teams at this World Cup.

While Kohli made 85 before a Hazlewood short ball got the better of him, Australia had failed to latch onto another chance Kohli gave off the same bowler in the game. In the eighth over of the run-chase, with Kohli on 12 and India’s score reading 20/3, Mitchell Marsh shelled a diving chance that came after Hazlewood’s short ball had Kohli top-edging.

With the Indian maestro in this kind of form, having reeled off eight fifty-plus scores in 10 innings, it’s vital for the Aussies to break the Kohli barrier to access that strong middle-order early. Hazlewood, whose stunning new-ball spell left South Africa in a mess in the semi-final, could be the key for Australia.

Rohit Sharma vs Mitchell Starc

When Shaheen Afridi trapped Rohit Sharma in front for a golden duck in the first over two years back at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, not many were surprised.

In his ODI career, Rohit has been dismissed 33 times by left-arm pace, and 22 of those have come within the first 10 overs. One of those came this World Cup at the Wankhede when Dilshan Madushanka sneaked one past his bat to shatter the stumps.

Mitchell Starc and the Aussies know the threat Rohit poses during the Powerplay. The Indian skipper has swung matches in the first 10 overs, scoring at a stunning rate of 133.08. If they’re to send Rohit back early, Starc could be the key.

The left-arm quick shed off his poor form in the tournament with an impressive showing in Kolkata in the semi-final, but the exaggerated movement present there may not be available in Ahmedabad. The occasion is huge, but even a questionable history didn’t deter Rohit in the semis against Trent Boult. Who will blink first in what could be a decisive battle?

Glenn Maxwell v Kuldeep Yadav

133/4 was the score when Glenn Maxwell walked in to bat at the Eden Gardens in the semi-final clash against the Proteas.

He was beaten first up by Tabraiz Shamsi with a quicker delivery and lasted only five balls in all, attempting a wild, across-the-line hoick, only to be cleaned up by the South African wrist spinner.

It’s just how Maxwell plays and you may not see him belt spinners on one leg every day, but the dismissal had an eerily familiar tone to it.

On a similar turner against India in Chennai, Maxwell fell in the exact same fashion to Kuldeep Yadav, another left-arm wrist spinner.

If Ahmedabad throws up another two-paced wicket, Maxwell will probably be wary of the massive turn Kuldeep gets and the threat it poses. Overall, the dismissal in Chennai was the third against Kuldeep for Maxwell, but he has also scored at a rate of 143.5 against the Indian spinner in ODIs.

Steve Smith v Ravindra Jadeja

One of the highlights of the riveting Border-Gavaskar Trophy series at home earlier in the year was the battle between Jadeja and Smith.

In a pivotal moment in the first Test in Nagpur, Jadeja deceived Smith completely, forcing him to play outside the line and making a mess of his stumps. Jadeja would go on to dismiss Smith two more times in the series and once more in the ICC World Test Championship final in England.

Overall, Jadeja has dismissed Smith five times in 2023 alone across formats. The last of them, and arguably the best, came in the league stage game in Chennai, when the left-arm spinner ripped one past Smith to bowl him.

Smith’s ODI record against Jadeja is, however, stupendous. He scores at a rate of over 100 against him and has only been dismissed twice in more than 200 balls. But that’ll count for little if the ball is throwing up puffs of dust in Ahmedabad on Sunday.

Mohammed Shami v David Warner

Is there a way to stop Mohammed Shami this World Cup?

Well, if there is, it will have to be conjured up by the Aussies in the biggest stage of all – the World Cup final, at a venue that has become very familiar over two IPL seasons with what Shami can do in short-ball formats.

Against left-handers, in particular, Shami is a massive threat. In 52 balls this tournament, Shami has dismissed left-handers eight times, averaging a mind-blowing 4.00 against them.

Every seventh ball on an average that Shami balls to a left-hander this World Cup has been a wicket.

If there’s one player who’ll not be bogged down by such numbers, it is David Warner. The Aussie has countered right-arm pacers with fire this tournament, but it has also brought about five dismissals against them.

The Aussies have their only two left-handers in the top seven, Warner and Travis Head, batting at the top two positions. As good as Siraj himself is against left-handers, would Shami’s exceptional numbers tempt India into bowling him with the new ball?

ICC

My view of the winners of these match ups

Rohit Sharma vs Mitchell Starc: Rohit - A quickfire 70 off 30 balls against likes of Starc is good enough to win this mini contest

Steve Smith v Ravindra Jadeja: Smith wins in my view - he plays well under pressure.

I am interested in the battle between Kohli and Hazlewood. He has dismissed Kohli five times in ODIs, including once in this World Cup, and has an average of 18.6 against him. The Ahmedabad pitch has been known to have some bounce and seam movement, which could suit Hazlewood’s style of bowling.

Here, hazlewood has a small edge over Kohli for me.​

Last edited:
Virat Kohli 's matchup is Adam Zampa, not Hazelwood.

Iyer's matchup will be Hazelwood as he has got him out cheaply multiple times.

Rohit vs Starc contest is decided half of the game as Rohit is set the tone for India.

Virat Kohli 's matchup is Adam Zampa, not Hazelwood.

Iyer's matchup will be Hazelwood as he has got him out cheaply multiple times.
Hazlewood got him last time so he will be looking to repeat that.

Smith is not in good nick(I hope he stays the same for one more game 😅), in the recent past he has struggled against both Ashwin n Jaddu.

If the pitch is going to be dry as many are predicting, then expect our spinners to trouble not just Smith but also others in the top order.

Josh hazelwood is one bowler I will be worried a lot against our top order (more so than Starc).

If Ashwin plays, Aussie openers (both or at least one of them) can be tamed.

All in all, I believe it is going to be a very tight contest with India winning in the end.

Indian bowler or a batsman who will be posing a challenge for the Australian team tomorrow:

According to Cummins during that World Cup final pre-game presser:

“I mean they're all pretty well-rounded in all departments you know the one guy that didn't play at the start of the tournament who's done really well is obviously Mohammed Shami he's a class bowler to right and left armers, so yeah, he's going to be a big one but again that these are guys we’ve played a lot so all our batters can draw in moments where they've taken on these bowlers and done well.”

Rohit Sharma is the most important player out of the 22 in WC final

For Australia to win, one man has to score big today and that's Steve Smith. On Ahmedabad pitch, I am sure Warner, Head, Marsh and Maxwell can't play match winning innings. At best 1-2 of them could score quick 30s but i doubt any of them could even get to 50 mark. Their contributions won't move the needle. The guy who has to score big for Australia is Steve Smith for multiple reasons. He averages 50+ on much tougher test pitches in India with 3 centuries so he knows how to score on these pitches. He's a big match player and it's his chance to setup his legacy. Australia in order to get to 270+ would need a big score from him and others to bat around him, unfortunately there is no other scenario that I can think of that can lead to Australia victory. Even if Sharma gets out cheaply, one of top 6 in India will end up scoring big and that could be anyone.

Plan B for India if Rohit and Kohli fall early : Gill playing a big innings and Iyer not getting out to the Aussie bowlers with the new ball in the first 20. If Gill can hang on and Iyer plays Zamps's 10 overs, kohli and Rohit matter little.

Smith is not in good nick(I hope he stays the same for one more game 😅), in the recent past he has struggled against both Ashwin n Jaddu.

If the pitch is going to be dry as many are predicting, then expect our spinners to trouble not just Smith but also others in the top order.

Josh hazelwood is one bowler I will be worried a lot against our top order (more so than Starc).

If Ashwin plays, Aussie openers (both or at least one of them) can be tamed.

All in all, I believe it is going to be a very tight contest with India winning in the end.
Can't play Ashwin without Pandya as the third seamer. India won't go.with just two pacers. Siraj is getting a lot of stick but he should bring his inner deamon from another final he played recently.

Must admit Zampa vs Iyer and if Rohit is still at the wicket when Zampa comes on will be mouth watering!

Idk why but I’m having a feeling Starc is about to give a legendary performance that will take him to ODI GOAT status.

Quite a few big names in this game. If Pakistan, BD or Afghanistan couldn’t make it to finals to face India, then Australia would be the only team I would stay up to watch to face this 10/10 India side.

It’s really weird to see Australia be underdogs in an ODI final. But I’m excited for this game. Wouldn’t feel the same if it was Eng, NZ or SA in the final Vs India, you’d expect them to buckle under the pressure.

Gill is our best bet as rohith and kohlis filling up the maximum planning space of Aussies in batting department..Hope he delivers a classic today..

My view of the winners of these match ups

Rohit Sharma vs Mitchell Starc: Rohit - A quickfire 70 off 30 balls against likes of Starc is good enough to win this mini contest

Steve Smith v Ravindra Jadeja: Smith wins in my view - he plays well under pressure.
Smith is way past that stage. 30-40 off some 50 balls is the most you cant expect of him presently.

Idk why but I’m having a feeling Starc is about to give a legendary performance that will take him to ODI GOAT status.

Quite a few big names in this game. If Pakistan, BD or Afghanistan couldn’t make it to finals to face India, then Australia would be the only team I would stay up to watch to face this 10/10 India side.

It’s really weird to see Australia be underdogs in an ODI final. But I’m excited for this game. Wouldn’t feel the same if it was Eng, NZ or SA in the final Vs India, you’d expect them to buckle under the pressure.
Starc is a cerified dud vs India so don't get your hopes up. He will likely be thrashed as usual.

Don't know about matchups but Australia's fight will solely depend upon following players:

1. Head
2. Mitch Marsh
3. Maxwell
4. Hazlewood
5. Zampa

Rest all don't count. They will compete in outdoing one another's pathetic show.

Smith is way past that stage. 30-40 off some 50 balls is the most you cant expect of him presently.
He could surprise everyone today, he's a certified big match player. Without him scoring close to a century, Australia won't stand any chance in this match.

No one was talking about this match-up:

Gill vs Starc in ODIs
4 innings
45 balls
38 runs
3 dismissals
All three dismissals have come inside the first 15 overs.

Starc won this battle against Shubman Gill.

For Australia to win, one man has to score big today and that's Steve Smith. On Ahmedabad pitch, I am sure Warner, Head, Marsh and Maxwell can't play match winning innings. At best 1-2 of them could score quick 30s but i doubt any of them could even get to 50 mark. Their contributions won't move the needle. The guy who has to score big for Australia is Steve Smith for multiple reasons. He averages 50+ on much tougher test pitches in India with 3 centuries so he knows how to score on these pitches. He's a big match player and it's his chance to setup his legacy. Australia in order to get to 270+ would need a big score from him and others to bat around him, unfortunately there is no other scenario that I can think of that can lead to Australia victory. Even if Sharma gets out cheaply, one of top 6 in India will end up scoring big and that could be anyone.

Seems like it has boiled down to Smith. His performance will basically determine the winner. He scores big, Aus wins. He doesn't Aus looses. Rest everything in this game from now on is around his performance.

Back