Gary Kirsten, Jason Gillespie, and Azhar Mahmood appointed as White-ball, Red-ball, and Assistant Coach respectively of the Pakistan Cricket Team

Are you satisfied with PCB's choice of coaching staff?

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Please welcome Pakistan Cricket Team's new White-ball Head Coach, Gary Kirsten, Red-ball Head Coach, Jason Gillespie, and all-format assistant coach, Azhar Mehmood.

How do you see this decision made by PCB?

-------------------

Gillespie to coach Pakistan in red-ball cricket, Kirsten in white-ball cricket

Azhar Mahmood confirmed as assistant coach across all formats; the three coaches have been appointed on two-year contracts following a recruitment process

Lahore, 28 April 2024:

The Pakistan Cricket Board has today confirmed Jason Gillespie as the red-ball head coach and Gary Kirsten as the white-ball head coach of the Pakistan men’s cricket team. Azhar Mahmood has also been confirmed as an assistant coach across all formats.

The three appointments have been made for a two-year period following a recruitment process.

Kirsten will take charge of the side immediately after completing his assignment in the Indian Premier League. During his tenure, besides the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 and other bilateral white-ball series, Kirsten will also be in charge of the side for next year’s ICC Champions Trophy 2025 in Pakistan, ACC T20 Asia Cup 2025 and the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 in India and Sri Lanka.

Gillespie will assume responsibilities for the ICC World Test Championship fixtures against Bangladesh (at home in August), which will be followed by Tests against England (at home in October) and South Africa (away in December) in the 2024-25 season.

PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi:

“I extend my congratulations to Jason Gillespie and Gary Kirsten on their appointments as the red and white-ball head coaches of the Pakistan men’s cricket team, respectively. Their stellar track records precede them, and I warmly welcome them to the Pakistan cricket family.

“Jason’s coaching career has been marked by success both at the domestic and international levels, with a focus on player development and achieving excellence in team performance. Gary’s coaching career has been marked by his ability to instill a winning mentality, develop young talent, and achieve success at the highest levels of the game, making him one of the most respected and sought-after coaches in cricket.

“In this background, I have every confidence that their expertise will guide our players to reach new heights, aligning with their inherent talent and the expectations of our passionate fans. These high-quality appointments also present a remarkable opportunity for our players to glean insights from these seasoned professionals, refining their skills and fortifying their cricketing acumen.

“The PCB is unwavering in its commitment to furnish the national team with top-tier resources and facilities, fostering an environment conducive to unlocking their full potential and consistently delivering stellar performances.”

Jason Gillespie:

“I am grateful to the PCB for their faith in my abilities and giving me the honour of coaching one of the most highly-regarded and talented cricket teams in the traditional format of the sport. Leading the Pakistan cricket team is a big achievement for any coach, given its rich legacy and passionate fan base.

“I love Test cricket and being able to focus on that is something I like very much. I also love the fact that there is so much talent in Pakistan. I like to think that I can help in some way to grow and develop the players. I want to win Tests – that is why I am taking this role. I love winning and I know we have got the skill to make that happen.

“The ICC World Test Championship is the ultimate in the Test format. I understand this cycle is likely to prove too great a task as we would need to win a lot of matches in a short space of time to have any chance of making the final, but aspiring to be in that final, and to winning it, has to be a medium- to long-term goal for us.

“Ultimately, it is all about playing the style of cricket we want to play, one that helps us win matches, excites the public and puts smiles on the faces of everyone connected with Pakistan cricket.

“Within Pakistan we have a number of high-quality fast bowlers and being able to utilise them will be a key part of any success we enjoy. But we have quality in all departments – pace, spin, batting and keeping. We have all bases covered. It is exciting to know we have that talent and I am looking forward to working with such talented players.

“I understand there will be expectation and that comes with the role. All I can do is to take it in my stride and I would not have taken on the job if I did not think I could deal with it.”

Gary Kirsten:

“It’s a tremendous honour to be entrusted with the responsibility of coaching the Pakistan men’s national team in white-ball cricket and to rejoin the international cricket arena after some time. I eagerly anticipate this opportunity and aim to contribute positively to the Pakistan men's national team in limited-overs cricket.

“One of the beautiful aspects of cricket is its universality. Across cultures, there’s a shared understanding when we discuss the game. My goal is to unite the Pakistan men’s white-ball team, harnessing their considerable talents towards a common objective, and achieving success together on the field.

“My perspective on Pakistan cricket has remained consistent over time. There’s always an inherent expectation for the team to perform at a high level consistently. However, in team sports, maintaining peak performance is not always guaranteed. As a coach, it’s immensely gratifying to assist players in unlocking their full potential. I eagerly anticipate collaborating with the individual players and the team, facilitating their growth and development.

“For cricket enthusiasts globally, Pakistan players are a familiar sight, showcasing their skills across various platforms. It's truly a joy to watch them play the game.

“Understanding the current state of the team and charting a path towards our desired goals is paramount. Winning ICC Events, while challenging, remains a significant objective. Whether it’s the upcoming tournament in June or events in the future, achieving success in these competitions would be a remarkable feat.

“My primary objective is to ensure the team operates at its optimal level. Success on the field is contingent upon the team performing at its best. Consistency and continuity are values I hold dear. While player form fluctuations are inevitable, maintaining a stable environment is crucial. I am committed to supporting players through their ups and downs, prioritising continuity in selections whenever possible.”

About Jason Gillespie:

- The 49-year-old former Australia fast bowler played 71 Tests, 97 ODIs and 1 T20I from 1996-2006, taking a total of 402 wickets and accumulating 1,531 runs. His best bowling figures in an innings were seven for 37 against England at Headingley in July 1997, while his Test best score was against Bangladesh in Chattogram in April 2006 when he scored 201 not out

- In four Tests against Pakistan, he took 10 wickets; in 13 ODIs, he took 21 wickets

- Was part of the Australia squad that won the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2003 in South Africa

- Is an ECB accredited Level 4 coach, having completed the two-year course from the University of Gloucestershire

- Coached Yorkshire County Cricket Club to back-to-back County Championship titles in 2014 and 2015

- Is credited with the development of England stars Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance and Joe Root during his time with Yorkshire

- Also coached Adelaide Strikers from 2015-2024, guiding the side to the BBL title in the 2017-18 season; Sussex from 2018-2020 and South Australia from 2020-2024

- Coached in Zimbabwe from 2010-2012, also served for two months as the interim head coach of the Papua New Guinea national cricket team in 2017, where he helped the side prepare for the ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier

Abut Gary Kirsten:

- The 56-year-old former South Africa top-order batter played 101 Tests and 185 ODIs from 1993-2004 in which he accumulated a total of 14,087 runs with 34 centuries

- In 11 Tests against Pakistan, he scored 838 runs at 55.86; in 24 ODIs, he scored 1,054 runs at 55.47

- Was a member of the South Africa side that won the ICC Knock-Out Trophy 1998 (now known as ICC Champions Trophy); played in three ICC Men’s Cricket World Cups from 1996 to 2003

- Coached India from 2008-2011 and helped them to the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2011 title as well as No.1 position on the ICC Test Team Rankings

- Coached South Africa men’s cricket team from 2011-2013 and inspired them to No.1 position on the ICC Test Team Rankings

- Coached the Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) and Royal Challengers Bengaluru

- Presently batting coach and mentor of Gujarat Titans, who won the 2022 Indian Premier League

PCB

cwhYQ7e.jpeg

Please welcome Pakistan Cricket Team's new White-ball Head Coach, Gary Kirsten, Red-ball Head Coach, Jason Gillespie, and all-format assistant coach, Azhar Mehmood.

How do you see this decision made by PCB?

-------------------

Gillespie to coach Pakistan in red-ball cricket, Kirsten in white-ball cricket

•Azhar Mahmood confirmed as assistant coach across all formats; the three coaches have been appointed on two-year contracts following a recruitment process

Lahore, 28 April 2024:

The Pakistan Cricket Board has today confirmed Jason Gillespie as the red-ball head coach and Gary Kirsten as the white-ball head coach of the Pakistan men’s cricket team. Azhar Mahmood has also been confirmed as an assistant coach across all formats.

The three appointments have been made for a two-year period following a recruitment process.

Kirsten will take charge of the side immediately after completing his assignment in the Indian Premier League. During his tenure, besides the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 and other bilateral white-ball series, Kirsten will also be in charge of the side for next year’s ICC Champions Trophy 2025 in Pakistan, ACC T20 Asia Cup 2025 and the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 in India and Sri Lanka.

Gillespie will assume responsibilities for the ICC World Test Championship fixtures against Bangladesh (at home in August), which will be followed by Tests against England (at home in October) and South Africa (away in December) in the 2024-25 season.

PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi:

“I extend my congratulations to Jason Gillespie and Gary Kirsten on their appointments as the red and white-ball head coaches of the Pakistan men’s cricket team, respectively. Their stellar track records precede them, and I warmly welcome them to the Pakistan cricket family.

“Jason’s coaching career has been marked by success both at the domestic and international levels, with a focus on player development and achieving excellence in team performance. Gary’s coaching career has been marked by his ability to instill a winning mentality, develop young talent, and achieve success at the highest levels of the game, making him one of the most respected and sought-after coaches in cricket.

“In this background, I have every confidence that their expertise will guide our players to reach new heights, aligning with their inherent talent and the expectations of our passionate fans. These high-quality appointments also present a remarkable opportunity for our players to glean insights from these seasoned professionals, refining their skills and fortifying their cricketing acumen.

“The PCB is unwavering in its commitment to furnish the national team with top-tier resources and facilities, fostering an environment conducive to unlocking their full potential and consistently delivering stellar performances.”

Jason Gillespie:

“I am grateful to the PCB for their faith in my abilities and giving me the honour of coaching one of the most highly-regarded and talented cricket teams in the traditional format of the sport. Leading the Pakistan cricket team is a big achievement for any coach, given its rich legacy and passionate fan base.

“I love Test cricket and being able to focus on that is something I like very much. I also love the fact that there is so much talent in Pakistan. I like to think that I can help in some way to grow and develop the players. I want to win Tests – that is why I am taking this role. I love winning and I know we have got the skill to make that happen.

“The ICC World Test Championship is the ultimate in the Test format. I understand this cycle is likely to prove too great a task as we would need to win a lot of matches in a short space of time to have any chance of making the final, but aspiring to be in that final, and to winning it, has to be a medium- to long-term goal for us.

“Ultimately, it is all about playing the style of cricket we want to play, one that helps us win matches, excites the public and puts smiles on the faces of everyone connected with Pakistan cricket.

“Within Pakistan we have a number of high-quality fast bowlers and being able to utilise them will be a key part of any success we enjoy. But we have quality in all departments – pace, spin, batting and keeping. We have all bases covered. It is exciting to know we have that talent and I am looking forward to working with such talented players.

“I understand there will be expectation and that comes with the role. All I can do is to take it in my stride and I would not have taken on the job if I did not think I could deal with it.”

Gary Kirsten:

“It’s a tremendous honour to be entrusted with the responsibility of coaching the Pakistan men’s national team in white-ball cricket and to rejoin the international cricket arena after some time. I eagerly anticipate this opportunity and aim to contribute positively to the Pakistan men's national team in limited-overs cricket.

“One of the beautiful aspects of cricket is its universality. Across cultures, there’s a shared understanding when we discuss the game. My goal is to unite the Pakistan men’s white-ball team, harnessing their considerable talents towards a common objective, and achieving success together on the field.

“My perspective on Pakistan cricket has remained consistent over time. There’s always an inherent expectation for the team to perform at a high level consistently. However, in team sports, maintaining peak performance is not always guaranteed. As a coach, it’s immensely gratifying to assist players in unlocking their full potential. I eagerly anticipate collaborating with the individual players and the team, facilitating their growth and development.

“For cricket enthusiasts globally, Pakistan players are a familiar sight, showcasing their skills across various platforms. It's truly a joy to watch them play the game.

“Understanding the current state of the team and charting a path towards our desired goals is paramount. Winning ICC Events, while challenging, remains a significant objective. Whether it’s the upcoming tournament in June or events in the future, achieving success in these competitions would be a remarkable feat.

“My primary objective is to ensure the team operates at its optimal level. Success on the field is contingent upon the team performing at its best. Consistency and continuity are values I hold dear. While player form fluctuations are inevitable, maintaining a stable environment is crucial. I am committed to supporting players through their ups and downs, prioritising continuity in selections whenever possible.”

About Jason Gillespie:

- The 49-year-old former Australia fast bowler played 71 Tests, 97 ODIs and 1 T20I from 1996-2006, taking a total of 402 wickets and accumulating 1,531 runs. His best bowling figures in an innings were seven for 37 against England at Headingley in July 1997, while his Test best score was against Bangladesh in Chattogram in April 2006 when he scored 201 not out

- In four Tests against Pakistan, he took 10 wickets; in 13 ODIs, he took 21 wickets

- Was part of the Australia squad that won the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2003 in South Africa

- Is an ECB accredited Level 4 coach, having completed the two-year course from the University of Gloucestershire

- Coached Yorkshire County Cricket Club to back-to-back County Championship titles in 2014 and 2015

- Is credited with the development of England stars Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance and Joe Root during his time with Yorkshire

- Also coached Adelaide Strikers from 2015-2024, guiding the side to the BBL title in the 2017-18 season; Sussex from 2018-2020 and South Australia from 2020-2024

- Coached in Zimbabwe from 2010-2012, also served for two months as the interim head coach of the Papua New Guinea national cricket team in 2017, where he helped the side prepare for the ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier

Abut Gary Kirsten:

- The 56-year-old former South Africa top-order batter played 101 Tests and 185 ODIs from 1993-2004 in which he accumulated a total of 14,087 runs with 34 centuries

- In 11 Tests against Pakistan, he scored 838 runs at 55.86; in 24 ODIs, he scored 1,054 runs at 55.47

- Was a member of the South Africa side that won the ICC Knock-Out Trophy 1998 (now known as ICC Champions Trophy); played in three ICC Men’s Cricket World Cups from 1996 to 2003

- Coached India from 2008-2011 and helped them to the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2011 title as well as No.1 position on the ICC Test Team Rankings

- Coached South Africa men’s cricket team from 2011-2013 and inspired them to No.1 position on the ICC Test Team Rankings

- Coached the Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) and Royal Challengers Bengaluru

- Presently batting coach and mentor of Gujarat Titans, who won the 2022 Indian Premier League

PCB

cwhYQ7e.jpeg
As expected. Lets see how this experiment goes

I must say I really liked the involvement of Mathew Hayden and Umar Gul with Pakistani team. They do seem to positively add to the performances and dressing room.

OMG this is just unbelievable. I’m so happy with this. Finally some sensible decisions by the PCB. He really has brought in the best in the business and as a team also so there is a whole squad of modern and very experienced coaches. Looking forward to their ideas about how they will overhaul the cricketing structure. Some high performance centres are a must

Pretty sure Kirsten will opt for Babar and Rizwan opening

Will not make much difference in performances. Our captain is stubborn and lack of leadership skill. Plus apart from Fakhar (highly inconsistent) there is not a single power hitter. 95% of our batting depends on Babar, Rizwan and Fakhar. Others are just below standard batters. We can win any with with just 3 batsmen. Bowling is ok not that great. if any of Babar or Rizwan or both fail team can loose to even associate teams.

When the rumours were first going of Jason Gillespie being made coach apparently he wanted the job without travelling to Pakistan, wonder if this is true?

I think both are very good appointments. Both have the potential to bring about change.

Will the players be willing to listen and implement? Especially, the "seniors".

How much are they getting paid? With two big names, are the PCB spending money they don't have?

Especially Gillespie. Pak. play just 6-8 tests in a good year.

I think Kristin will be a scapegoat after 2024 T20 World Cup to save Babar.

So it did make sense. Kirsten wanted Babar because that’s his Gill

Rizwan will be his Saha

Saim his Sudharshan

Ifti his Tewatia

Fakhar his Miller

This joke of authority. Does Naqvi even know the name of current playing 11 or result of this series? He is just show his face every often to keep his 2nd job.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it did make sense. Kirsten wanted Babar because that’s his Gill

Rizwan will be his Saha

Saim his Sudharshan

Ifti his Tewatia

Fakhar his Miller
Funny all our coaches always wants our players to be someone else. There is no Pakistan brand of cricket I guess.

Good appointments. But coaches can only bring out the best of the existing level of talent.

Also, not sure why PAK need 2 coaches. England split the coaching because players , fans and the ECB all have an interest in Test cricket.

PCB, PAK fans and players could not care less. They neither have the skill nor the will for the longest format .Kirsten was enough for all formats.

This joke of authority. Does Naqvi even know the name of current playing 11 or result of this series? He is just show his face every often to keep his 2nd job.

He is good at bending them over and the critics of the regime

Good appointments. But coaches can only bring out the best of the existing level of talent.

Also, not sure why PAK need 2 coaches. England split the coaching because players , fans and the ECB all have an interest in Test cricket.

PCB, PAK fans and players could not care less. They neither have the skill nor the will for the longest format .Kirsten was enough for all formats.

Perhaps 1 would be right, but it’s both Kirsten and Gillespi lol plus they will have a fellow westener to socialise with there and discuss similar gripes if they are allowed to connect etc

Infrastructure and politics will never change, best they can do is maximise their resources and try to deliver from within the broken system

Waiting for bitter ex players like Basit Ali Tanveer Ahmed to run these guys out of Pak… obsessed with salary’s !

You can change as many coaches or captains you want, until the grassroot and domestic infrastructure is professionally running, it won’t do jack.

Nonetheless, great appointments.

You can change as many coaches or captains you want, until the grassroot and domestic infrastructure is professionally running, it won’t do jack.

Nonetheless, great appointments.

Bro even Imran Khan quintuple PHD in cricket could not fix grassroots

Yep, let’s wait 200 years to sort out grassroots and then appoint a good coach
How many coaches did the PCB change in the last 5 years alone?

Pakistan cricket has been dead for a long time. 2017 CT was a last hurrah.

Bro even Imran Khan quintuple PHD in cricket could not fix grassroots
It takes time, 10-15 years for a system to develop. The PCB is a political music chair contest and whenever the new guy comes in after 6 months, he milks as much as he can until the next guy. There is no vision and stability.

How!!! He reappointed Babar after 1 series who was a consistent failure for 5 years

I think he is walking on ice and with these new coaches, they wont give him a free meal ticket. If they were ruthlessly bought in, same can be done to send em packing.

Well done PCB for selecting such a glittering coaching staff... :inti

Guess these guys will be dying to learn from the Bradman of their era... :rizthumbsup

Perhaps 1 would be right, but it’s both Kirsten and Gillespi lol plus they will have a fellow westener to socialise with there and discuss similar gripes if they are allowed to connect etc

Infrastructure and politics will never change, best they can do is maximise their resources and try to deliver from within the broken system
Pakistan actually need Steve Rixon if he's still coaching.

It takes time, 10-15 years for a system to develop. The PCB is a political music chair contest and whenever the new guy comes in after 6 months, he milks as much as he can until the next guy. There is no vision and stability.

Historically the stability has just not been there and when you did have it, there was no real system in place. You tried to improve grassroots and while it does take time, the attempts have largely failed. If the new set up is given a long rope which I know is a dream and they are able to make small tweaks, gain small percentages each time, at least in the neat future they’d be building to something better then where the team is now, sadly this is the best you can hope for; it was the same during the Woolmer years to

Well done PCB for selecting such a glittering coaching staff... :inti

Guess these guys will be dying to learn from the Bradman of their era... :rizthumbsup

Riswan got his topi on already, they will be invited to the next Jummah where he will be delivering the Kutbah

Great choices for headcoach role.. but what about batting, balling and fielding coaches? Any info or update about them? @Saj

Excellent choices!

Naqvi getting things done correctly.

Get them their preferred deputies too.

The coaches aren't the problem- they make no difference either way. The problems are at institutional level and this feeds through to poor FC, poor wickets, poor talent identification and poor competition. This feeds through to poor fielding and all the other things we have fallen behind in.

The best thing is that Kirsten & Gillespie will co-operate with each other for the betterment of Pakistan cricket. This would not work with desi Pakistan coaches as they will be sniping at each other if there was a split coaching team.

Still worried about Babar making the decisions in the middle!

He really needs someone in his ears like Sammy was doing in the PSL.

Hopefully, Kirsten will do something similar to Sammy.

Will not make much difference in performances. Our captain is stubborn and lack of leadership skill. Plus apart from Fakhar (highly inconsistent) there is not a single power hitter. 95% of our batting depends on Babar, Rizwan and Fakhar. Others are just below standard batters. We can win any with with just 3 batsmen. Bowling is ok not that great. if any of Babar or Rizwan or both fail team can loose to even associate teams.
So you agree with your own contradictions. Firstly you need a team of 11 players. At the moment we only have about 3
Then you need consistency for this you need a good coaching set up with board support for deep seated changes

Then we can worry about who the best captain is and the opening combo.

At the moment I just don’t think we have a credible and gelled 11 for any format

The coaches aren't the problem- they make no difference either way. The problems are at institutional level and this feeds through to poor FC, poor wickets, poor talent identification and poor competition. This feeds through to poor fielding and all the other things we have fallen behind in.
Ordinarily I would agree with this but in this particular instance I think it’s different because the coaching roles are split and loud mouths like yusuf and misbah Hafeez are clearly onboard and looking to make massive changes in the set up. Let’s wait and see.

Kirsten is playing outdated T20 cricket with Gujarat

Pakistan is playing outdated T20 cricket since 2019

What change will he bring?

Man be careful because you're this close to be branded the always angry foofa/foofi of this forum lmao

Watch pct's fortune turn NOW!

Wow that's a coup I didn't seriously expect PCB to pull off.

Both deserve the longest runs possible as we aren't going to get anyone more qualified.

Unfortunately Kirsten is stuck with a tactically limited and conservative white-ball captain.

Unfortunately Kirsten is stuck with a tactically limited and conservative white-ball captain.
Kirsten chose Babar. This was reported by Basit Ali. Basit wasn’t wrong about his revelations at the time.

If he is stuck with him, it’s because he chose to be stuck with him.

Man be careful because you're this close to be branded the always angry foofa/foofi of this forum lmao

Watch pct's fortune turn NOW!
I am the dark reality these people wish to ignore.

Gary Kirsten is Bob Woolmer's protege. He appears on Woolmer's coaching DVDs.

Hopefully he can finish what his mentor started.
G Kirsten should have been the head coach for Red ball cricket, but I would take Gillespie as well tbf

Doubt Gillespie would be coming and spending much time in Pakistan especially with the least amount of tests they play every year as he's got it slightly easier.

Though I'd have preferred if Gary Kirsten had been an all format coach along with Dizzy as assistant/bowling coach with Azhar Mahmood as facilitator for the language barrier between them and to scout talent.

But again everyone wants a big chunk of the pie and you can't blame them either.

Oh well, let's see how long this love hate affair will last in Pakistan cricket as 2 years isn't a long time.

During a press conference, Pakistan's assistant coach, Azhar Mahmood, said:

"By now, the average score we are scoring is 157 while batting first, and in the second innings, it's 155. The top teams in the world, India and Australia, have averages of 189 and 186, respectively. If we see this series, although we should have won by a very good margin, we can't disrespect anyone; they are upcoming stars of New Zealand. They have displayed talent and played disciplined cricket. In our case, we lack cricket discipline."

"As Mohsin Naqvi mentioned about fitness, they (referring to New Zealand) saved 20 runs yesterday through improved running between the wickets. In the last two matches, they took 15 singles and also converted them into doubles, whereas we only managed 5-6. So we are working on fitness to bring our players to the level of fitness that India and Australia are at right now."

"In this series, we set them (referring to the Pakistan team) a target. Over the last two years, whenever Pakistan has won any game, our average score has been 173. In this period, Pakistan has won 6 matches and lost 5 matches too. Therefore, we set this as the minimum target for this series."

Will coaching even make a difference ?
It has to.

These are serious names of the coaching world. They won’t want to destroy their legacy and reputation. They need to be hireable at a good premium after the Pakistan job.

It’s not like Waqar and Misbah who will only be hired by Pakistan every now and then. These guys will get jobs around the world.

My primary objective is to ensure the team operates at its optimal level. Success on the field is contingent upon the team performing at its best. Consistency and continuity are values I hold dear. While player form fluctuations are inevitable, maintaining a stable environment is crucial. I am committed to supporting players through their ups and downs, prioritising continuity in selections whenever possible.”

This is key. He’s going to go full methodical in his approach. He needs to make sure he has 5 proper bowlers who will give away 160-170 max. Pakistan can’t afford to go 180+

"By now, the average score we are scoring is 157 while batting first, and in the second innings, it's 155. The top teams in the world, India and Australia, have averages of 189 and 186, respectively. If we see this series, although we should have won by a very good margin, we can't disrespect anyone; they are upcoming stars of New Zealand. They have displayed talent and played disciplined cricket. In our case, we lack cricket discipline."

"As Mohsin Naqvi mentioned about fitness, they (referring to New Zealand) saved 20 runs yesterday through improved running between the wickets. In the last two matches, they took 15 singles and also converted them into doubles, whereas we only managed 5-6. So we are working on fitness to bring our players to the level of fitness that India and Australia are at right now."

"In this series, we set them (referring to the Pakistan team) a target. Over the last two years, whenever Pakistan has won any game, our average score has been 173. In this period, Pakistan has won 6 matches and lost 5 matches too. Therefore, we set this as the minimum target for this series."
Said it before by holding a 10 day army camp nothings going to change until and unless players themselves make conscious efforts to work all year round on themselves.

I suppose Azhar Mahmood is present to translate English for the players. When Mohsin Naqvi was asked about the players' proficiency in English, he responded by mentioning Azhar's role.
During today's press conference, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi said:

"When it comes to the English language of the players, Azhar is available, and it's good, if someone doesn't know English because they can learn it."

During today's press conference, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi said:

"When it comes to the English language of the players, Azhar is available, and it's good, if someone doesn't know English because they can learn it."
Naqvi mate

The guys can’t learn to hit pies for 6 in training as cricketers

How are they going to learn English all of a sudden?

Gillespie is a great appointment and really should have been the all-format coach. However, the 2 coach system will only create more unpredictability, uncertainty and haphazardness in the setup.

With how things are in the Pakistani team at the moment, I really didn’t know more haphazardness was possible but the PCB are real masters of the art.

When our Test and LOI teams are built around the same group of core players, I really don’t see the need for two coaches.

During press conference, upon being asked about Gray Kirsten's role in the appointment of Babar Azam as the white ball captain, Mohsin Naqvi replied:

"The appointment of Babar Azam as captain was a decision of the selection committee; Gray Kirsten had no role in it."

Last edited:
Ordinarily I would agree with this but in this particular instance I think it’s different because the coaching roles are split and loud mouths like yusuf and misbah Hafeez are clearly onboard and looking to make massive changes in the set up. Let’s wait and see.
We can have the best coaches in the World, split or same but history tells us that it makes little or no difference. Its a cricket culture thing and ours doesn't encourage success. Our cricket culture is partially based on our national culture and more importantly the running of the pCB.

We can have the best coaches in the World, split or same but history tells us that it makes little or no difference. Its a cricket culture thing and ours doesn't encourage success. Our cricket culture is partially based on our national culture and more importantly the running of the pCB.
What does the cricket culture lack?

As you correctly pointed out, the problem, in my opinion, is the absolute chaotic nature of the PCB. There is no consistency in their decisions which breeds the circus that our cricket today is.

Even a mediocre team would do better than our star studded team if there was at least some level of consistency. The constant chopping and changing breeds this lacklustre performance.

Kirsten is as good of a coach as you could ask for. Gillespie for red-ball is a great option aswell. Question is will they be able to change the way these guys play cricket?

Yes true but in this instance history is irrelevant because this in itself is creating history. Never been done before. We’ve never had a coaching set up where a coach has been given support and so much division in responsibility. Soon I think there will be a director of cricket announcement.

Bob woolmer was given all the current LUMS biomechanics equipment but it just gathered dust. Waqar for his last year never had any communication with Sethi, can you even think Ijaz Butt or Ashraf could even run a restaurant let alone the PCB. Dav whatmore cut a very lonely figure while sethi and Zaka just played musical chairs. So it’s good that if you are paying top dollar for high profile coaches you have to be trying to also bring Pak cricket into the modern age. It wouldn’t make sense to bring in arguably the best coaches in the world and not give them their support staff or implement the changes they want.

The first thing is player Development I think they are keen to push that. Just consider this yusuf, younis and misbah have been 3 of the best players of Pak in the last 15 years but largely developed without a coach. But since 2016 and 2017 babar and later Rizwan has emerged we haven’t developed any batsmen of note. So the emerging players absolutely need world class coaching so guys like saim, saud, abdullah can really develop their game.

, can you even think Ijaz Butt or Ashraf could even run a restaurant let alone the PCB
Well that’s nonsense isn’t it? Zaka Ashraf is a highly successful businessman. Minted multi millionaire American dollars net worth

Stop sulking just because your idol Khan could only secure Saqlain Mushtaq as his top acquisition

Anyone knows who will be our batting, bowling and fielding coaches?

Congrats to all Pakistani fans.

This is quite a big deal and one I thought had no chance of happening.

I'm actually stunned that the PCB pulled this off.

This type of statement is a step in the right direction and something more than tangible than having no plans.

But even setting targets of 170 against the kiwi c squad is being conservative.

If these 2 coaches fails then PCB should close their shop forever as Pakistan cricket will be beyond redemption unless first class structure is totally revamped

gary kirsten has some good experience behind him, hopefully this will be going in the right direction

Well that’s nonsense isn’t it? Zaka Ashraf is a highly successful businessman. Minted multi millionaire American dollars net worth

Stop sulking just because your idol Khan could only secure Saqlain Mushtaq as his top acquisition
Bro I think you got the wrong person. I’m sat in the UK. I don’t give two hoots what the back ground of a cricket administrator is only what they achieve for Pak cricket or the country and as it happens a few of these administrators have done very little. Only taken the country backwards. Which Khan are you talking about and …idol? Pop idol? And saqlain in top post? What you wrote doesn’t even make sense.

I got the feeling from the press conference, were going to be seeing 2 different white and red ball teams and more player rotation between t20 Odi players

People cheerleading for these coaches right now would be asking for their heads after a year or so. Pakistanis after all these years haven’t understood that coaches make no difference at this level. Pakistan lacks talent and skill set. They need to overhaul their club and school cricket. You can’t win a tournament when your entire batting revolves around just 1 player (Babar) who would struggle to get into other top teams.

Bro I think you got the wrong person. I’m sat in the UK. I don’t give two hoots what the back ground of a cricket administrator is only what they achieve for Pak cricket or the country and as it happens a few of these administrators have done very little. Only taken the country backwards. Which Khan are you talking about and …idol? Pop idol? And saqlain in top post? What you wrote doesn’t even make sense.
I was saying it isn’t right to say ZA can’t run a restaurant. He’s a successful businessman and he was right in how he treated Babar

I’m assuming you support Imran Khan?

I got the feeling from the press conference, were going to be seeing 2 different white and red ball teams and more player rotation between t20 Odi players
Doubt there'll be much substantive change while the gormless dictator remains captain.

However ending the nonstop coaching drama we've had since 2019 is a step in right direction.

Both Kirsten and Gillespie must be given more authority than Babar and be fully backed.

Enough of the coaches being scapegoated wheras Babar and his gang keep escaping accountability.

I was saying it isn’t right to say ZA can’t run a restaurant. He’s a successful businessman and he was right in how he treated Babar

I’m assuming you support Imran Khan?
And I’m saying I live abroad I don’t really care how great the people in the country think they are I only think about their achievements for Pak cricket as a whole and some chairperson zaka, sethi, butt, Naseem ashraf are all poor administrators because I can only look at how well the Indian or Uk system has advanced in the last 15 years . But this naqvi person seems good. He’s doing all the right things

Of course I can’t speak for Imran the politician but I’m…ahem…young enough to remember most of imran the cricketers career and brilliant though he was it has created this perennial issue in Pak cricket. Namely a few good match winners are more important than playing as a team. Time and again c Teams of New Zealand and Sri Lanka have shown is T20 is a game of small margins and our brand has to be upgraded. It’s still stuck in 2009 mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back