Greatest ODI individual batting performance you have witnessed?

The only problem was that Afridi tried to replicate it every time he came out to bat

Agreed. That's why Younis Khan has to get a lot of credit for talking him out of playing like a blind slogger during the 2009 WT20 tournament. The 2 x innings he played in the Semi Final and Final were top draw.

Ab de devillers 147 of 44 is horrific irrespective of the attack he achieved it against.

That's the best by far.

Hand in heart, Fakhar Zaman probably has #1, #2 locked for himself and it’s a shame that Pakistan has taken so long to realise he’s actually the most dangerous cricketer in their team and arguably the biggest brand

194 by Saeed Anwar in Chennai (Independence cup in 1997). My first live match experience.

Fakhar against SOuth africa in south africa and Maxwell against Afghanistan were the 2 innings that got me excited.

194 by Saeed Anwar in Chennai (Independence cup in 1997). My first live match experience.
Hardly mate, with 9 overs from tendulkar, 120 overs with a runner, in relatively cool weather… that innings was incredible for its volume and little else.

Hardly mate, with 9 overs from tendulkar, 120 overs with a runner, in relatively cool weather… that innings was incredible for its volume and little else.
Not meant to say it was the greatest ODI innings, I was implying that I have watched (took the title of the OP in literal sense) a live game where a batting world record was made (which stood for sometime, before it got broken).

Saeed anwar's 194 and pointing 180 is underrated.

I don't think people know how absurdly difficult it was to het these scores in the one ball era
Only reason that is slightly rated low is because he had a by runner in shahid afridi running for him for 32 overs. That is a massive advantage

Only reason that is slightly rated low is because he had a by runner in shahid afridi running for him for 32 overs. That is a massive advantage
It still doesn't mean anything.

194 in that era is equivalent to a 260 score today.

It's unholy difficult to achieve that too against Indian bowling

Btw, the weather was anything but cool that day. It was right in the middle of Agni nakshatram (hottest for Tamilnadu) month.

It still doesn't mean anything.

194 in that era is equivalent to a 260 score today.

It's unholy difficult to achieve that too against Indian bowling
That era indian bowling was a joke though

Venky prasad
Kuruvilla ? Lol
Robin Singh
Joshi
Tendulkar
Kumble

At best 1 bowler which is kumble. One average trundler in prasad. Rest cannon crap.

Maxwell would score 300 vs that attack.

Btw, the weather was anything but cool that day. It was right in the middle of Agni nakshatram (hottest for Tamilnadu) month.
I stand corrected. But the other statements hold. He pillaged runs off of Kumble in a single over otherwise kumble had very respectable returns prior to that.

Some of the best knocks I have seen and remember:

Ponting vs India ( 2003 WC Final, big game, big knock)
Afridi vs India (Kanpur, finished the game in first 15 overs at the time when people had no clue about T20)
Gibbs vs Aus (First and only team chasing 400+ in full 50 over match)
Razzaq vs SA (Fauji hitting monster sixes has to be one of the greatest knocks in the history of ODI cricket)
Struass vs India (2011 WC league match, chasing 340+)
Virat Kohli vs SL (Chased the 330+ in just 36 overs in Hobart and Virat announced himself to the cricketing world)
Virat Kohli vs Pak (Big game, 327 to win against arch rivals)
Faulkner vs India ( 64 of 29, Ishant smacked for 30 runs in an over)
ABD vs WI ( Fastest century)
ABD vs WI (Fastest 150)
Fakhar vs India ( CT Final)
Stokes vs NZ ( WC final)
Fakhar vs SA (194 chasing)
Fakhar vs NZ ( Chasing 400)
Head vs India ( When team was 40-3 in WC Final)

In ODIs

Steve Smith 100 vs India 2015 WC semi
Fakhar Zaman 100 vs India 2017 CT final
Ross Taylor 90 vs India 2019 WC semi
Trevis Head 100 vs India 2023 WC semi

Travis Head has produced 2 of the great knocks in any format in one year:

163(174) in the WTC Final
137(120) in the ODI WC Final

Not to mention he scored 62(48) in the Semi Finals on an incredibly difficult pitch where no one aside from David Miller had as much success. On top of that he was the Player of the Series in the 2021-2022 Ashes and was very good in the Test series against India earlier this year where Australia managed to win a Test.

My favorite player by far and looking forward to him giving us more legendary ODI knocks.

There have been so many unforgettable innings over the years.

But that Maxwell innings is something else. One of the most ridiculous displays of batting I have ever seen in my life and its status has been elevated after the Aussies went on to win the cup.

Just incredible.

On This Day in 1994, Ijaz Ahmed scored an unbeaten 114 that led Pakistan to an eight-wicket win over South Africa in the Mandela Trophy. What a wonderful inning it was from "The Axe Man" Ijaz Ahmed.

Though we often tend to romanticize the past, Maxwell’s unbeaten double while barely being able to move his feet to get his team to a win while chasing is the most improbable knock I have ever witnessed.
There have been several great knocks in the past that have been out of this world, any might be it’s the recency bias but it’s very difficult to look past Maxwell’s knock.

Maxwell's innings against Afghanistan in this World Cup is probably one of the best ODI innings I have ever witnessed.

name any better than this one?

Back