Local Club Regular
Runs
This is the place..

20121002-halal-taste-test-famous-halal-53rd-line.jpg

This is the average line ALL day

1064892_620235084668025_1060252206_o.jpg

if you guys are ever in New York try it. out of this world/

Just a hype... Try Shawarmas in Saudia Or Dubai.... would see the difference

They got on in Austin by that name too . Not sure is its the same people but its ran by some Palestinian guy i think .GOOD GOOD GRUB!

They got on in Austin by that name too . Not sure is its the same people but its ran by some Palestinian guy i think .GOOD GOOD GRUB!

yes they have two locations there. I usually go to the one on Guadalupe street, its a nice place to sit and eat. Great lamb, chicken and rice combo.

Are you from Austin also?

Just a hype... Try Shawarmas in Saudia Or Dubai.... would see the difference

no shawarmas can beat those in UAE ( I am sure Saudia would have the same standard). I remember two places called "Lebanese flower" and "mahroosh" would have the best ones in Abu Dhabi.

Never found it any special.. Tastes Just like other thousand gyros in NYC.

no shawarmas can beat those in UAE ( I am sure Saudia would have the same standard). I remember two places called "Lebanese flower" and "mahroosh" would have the best ones in Abu Dhabi.

we have actually a lot in saudia, Nafoura, Yamal Asham, lebanese shop and some say the mama noura...

they have different version turkish, syrian, egyptian and lebanese.. i agree with that in whole North America i would not able to find except in toronto i guess its called monument...in downtown as i landed there it was better than the others..as i try this gyro and was so taseteless and bisaaan i mean with bad smell..

Been there a few times, must say, GREAT FOOD!

Wish I could find something similar here in NC.

Never found it any special.. Tastes Just like other thousand gyros in NYC.

Not true. They are so different.

Always went there after I'd watch my show at the Carnegie Hall or Lincoln center!

It used to be good in the begining, but lately their quality has gone down atleast for me. Its still worth it.

About 20 years of living in NY and trying many, many halal gyro and Sharma, I find the Halal guys to be one of the lowest in quality and taste.
He simply has plain bland boiled chicken chunks grounded into keema type meet - just plain boiled meet with short and thick VERY CHEAP quality rice. And then he hands you with a few small containers of hot n white sauce.
Extremely over hyped and super low in taste and content.

Now if you want to try THE REAL taste of gyro, goto Queens on the intersection of Hillside Ave and Homelawn Street in Jamaica. This cart (named: Shahi) is located right infront of Sagar Halal Chinese restaurant on Homelawn Street.

Try this guys "mixed over rice" or only chicken, or lamb only over rice. Ask for extra rice as his rice is high quality and the best in taste.

You will be spoiled for life!

Last edited:
Had it yesterday.

I would definitely say it wasnt as good as it used to when i was last in ny couple of years ago. Really disappointed me.

It used to be a thing back in 05 and 06 now I can't even eat it anymore.

Last edited:
The Halal Guys restaurant

When I was in New York, the Halal Guys food cart was the talk of the town. I heard now they have actual restaurants all over the US. It's the first Halal food franchise in the US.

Are they still very popular? How's the food now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Halal_Guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of them in the metroplex.

Really? :ibutt

Is pretty popular in California and the original was in NY iirc.

Haven't been there in a while, I'm kind of bored of the mediterranean type foods esp when there's so many variations of it now in arguably better places.

Got the chicken platter last time I went there which was pretty decent.

They've opened up a shop in Montreal near my Uni. Haven't tried them yet but word from my friends is that the food is pretty average.

In New York, Halal guys is not just food, its a way of life. Stand on the line and wait for your $7 meal with extra white sauce and pita bread on the side. You can't find food this cheap anywhere in New York. Like a lot of desis in New York, it's a ritual for my family to go to the halal guys 53rd and 6th ave once every month and we've been going there for 12+ years now. I've heard of similar stories in LA and San francisco where people waited in line for 2 hours to get some chicken over rice.

In New York, Halal guys is not just food, its a way of life. Stand on the line and wait for your $7 meal with extra white sauce and pita bread on the side. You can't find food this cheap anywhere in New York. Like a lot of desis in New York, it's a ritual for my family to go to the halal guys 53rd and 6th ave once every month and we've been going there for 12+ years now. I've heard of similar stories in LA and San francisco where people waited in line for 2 hours to get some chicken over rice.
Yo restaurants in nyc got crazy long lines, I remmeber watching this vlog of some dude and his friends standing in line for an hour to get into some tiny ice cream parlor that was apparently a big deal over there.

Its amazing

And perfect food after a night out

Though i hate it that you have to stand and eat like an animal

[MENTION=138318]Belawal2014[/MENTION] they recently opened a location near Concordia. Have you tried it?

Went to the one in Montreal. It was pretty decent but the one in NYC at 53rd is classic.

Also heard they are opening three locations in the GTA. Two in Mississauga and one in Downtown Toronto. Looking fwd to that!

Its amazing

And perfect food after a night out

Though i hate it that you have to stand and eat like an animal

That's the fun. It's the same with hot 'n spicy in Clifton back in Pak. 50 different types of rolls but no place to sit so you have to stand or sit in the car and eat, good times. Broast there was legendary.

They were great...the last 3 years I've had em..it;s just been meh. I tried their brick and mortar in Chicago and that was crap for some reason. Seems to have lost some flavor and the freshness. But they opening mad chains across the country.

[MENTION=138318]Belawal2014[/MENTION] they recently opened a location near Concordia. Have you tried it?

No, I haven't yet. My friends and brothers have and they said the food was average and far from the one in NYC.

The Halal Guys feature in this documentary

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z7uiEI6ywws" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These Honest Chops look awesome

www.honestchops.com

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a0Xk12l2IbE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's this really awesome food truck in Austin, it's a fusion of Mexican and Desi food. The chicken 65 and curry tacos with mango lassi was something else, ofc, actually enjoying spicy food is a prerequisite which I assume most of us already do.

Halal guys is the most overrated place in the history of mankind

I've visited NYC many times, and frankly I would not want to eat desi dishes out there.

For me, nothing comes close to the Pizza slices! The best! Down by an Ice Cold Coca Cola. Heaven!

I've visited NYC many times, and frankly I would not want to eat desi dishes out there.

For me, nothing comes close to the Pizza slices! The best! Down by an Ice Cold Coca Cola. Heaven!

The misus and I were just deciding what to do for food tonight and the left overs didn't seem too appeasing..... You might have persuaded us in favour of pizza. Although hard to find New York style pizza north of the fence.

Halal Guys is very good except there are many places that are almost as tasty.

NY pizza is great, but I prefer the deep dish you get in Chicago.

Was average compared to arabic food we get in London.

NYC should stick to burgers and pizza

Even the $1 cheese slices at the small shops are amazing. NYC is the true home of pizza.

Back