"Had there been another Indian leadership, we would have had a good relationship" : PM Imran Khan

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Had there been another Indian leadership, we would have had a good relationship" : PM Imran Khan

The U.S.-Pakistan relationship is at a watershed moment. The two countries have been locked in an uneasy embrace for the last 20 years, with the United States providing much-needed support to Pakistan in exchange for Islamabad’s assistance in the war on terror. While it hasn’t been smooth (see Pakistan’s harboring of militant groups and U.S. drone strikes that killed Pakistani civilians), the relationship has more or less endured.

With U.S. forces leaving Afghanistan by Sept. 11, Pakistan faces urgent questions. What strategic clout does it have now? Where does it fit in the great power confrontation between the United States and China? Pakistan’s prime minister, Imran Khan, who took office in 2018, is trying to navigate those waters now, but it’s very unclear how his country will fare: The pandemic has taken a toll on the economy, the military still has an iron grip on the country and the relationship with India is as bad as it’s ever been.

President Biden has yet to have a conversation with Mr. Khan. Mr. Biden is meeting with the Afghan president, Ashraf Ghani, on Friday to discuss the U.S. withdrawal. It’s likely that Pakistan will come up in the conversation. Mr. Khan has made it clear to Axios recently that he would not accept C.I.A. bases in the country for missions in Afghanistan. (Saying otherwise in public would be political suicide). So what is the future of Pakistan’s relationship with America?

We spoke with Mr. Khan on Wednesday via video call about the way forward for Pakistan. Our conversation has been condensed and edited for clarity.

Yara Bayoumy: This is obviously an important time in Pakistan and in the region. The U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan gave Pakistan a lot of strategic clout with the United States. Now that the Americans are pulling out, what do you see as the future of that relationship?

Prime Minister Imran Khan: Pakistan has always had a closer relationship with the United States than, say, India, which [is] our neighbor. And then after 9/11, Pakistan again opted to join the U.S. war on terror. Now, after the U.S. leaves Afghanistan, basically Pakistan would want a civilized relationship, which you have between nations, and we would like to improve our trading relationship with the U.S.

Bayoumy: Could you elaborate more about what you mean by a civilized relationship?

Khan: You know, say between the U.S. and Britain, or actually between U.S. and India right now. So a relationship which is evenhanded. You know, unfortunately, the relationship was a bit lopsided during this war on terror.

It was a lopsided relationship because [the] U.S. felt that they were giving aid to Pakistan, they felt that Pakistan then had to do U.S.’s bidding.

And what Pakistan did in terms of trying to do the U.S. bidding actually cost Pakistan a lot in human lives. Seventy thousand Pakistanis died, and over $150 billion were lost to the economy because there were suicide bombings and bombs going on all over the country. That’s where the problem began. The U.S. kept expecting more from Pakistan. And unfortunately, Pakistani governments tried to deliver what they were not capable of.

So there was this mistrust between the two countries. And people in Pakistan felt they paid a heavy, heavy price for this relationship. And the U.S. thought Pakistan had not done enough. So in that sense, it was a lopsided relationship. What we want in the future is a relationship based on trust and common objectives. That’s actually what we have right now with the U.S. — I mean, our objectives in Afghanistan are exactly the same today.

Jyoti Thottam: But do you think that Pakistan will continue to have any strategic relevance to the U.S. once the U.S. pulls out of Afghanistan?

Khan: I don’t know, really. I haven’t thought about it in that way, that Pakistan should have some strategic relevance to the U.S. I mean, states really have relationships based on common interests. And Pakistan is a country of 220 million people, a young population, in a sense strategically placed for the future if our relationship with India improves at some point, which I am an optimist. I hope it will.

So we have one of the biggest markets on one side of Pakistan, and then China on [another] other side. So two of the biggest world markets. And then the energy corridor, Central Asia, Iran, if that relationship improves between the U.S. So Pakistan, in that sense, is strategically placed for the future in terms of economics.

Bayoumy: How do you specifically see the military and security relationship going forward?

Khan: I don’t know. Post the U.S. withdrawal, I don’t know what sort of military relationship it will be. But right now, the relationship should be based on this common objective that there is a political solution in Afghanistan before the United States leaves, because Pakistan doesn’t want a civil war, a bloody civil war in Afghanistan. And I’m sure neither does the U.S., after it leaves, it wants the country going up in flames after spending, God knows, $1 or $2 trillion. So that’s a common objective.

Bayoumy: Speaking of Afghanistan, Pakistan has played a big role in the intra-Afghan peace talks. You’ve used your leverage with the Taliban, as well. In the last few weeks, we have been seeing violence increase across the country. How worried are you about a civil war in Afghanistan, and are you using your leverage with the Taliban to try and get these peace talks toward a deal?

Khan: Well, firstly, Pakistan has used the maximum leverage it could on the Taliban. What was the maximum leverage? Basically, Pakistan was the country that had recognized Taliban, one of three countries after 1996.

Given that the United States gave a date of withdrawal, from then onward, our leverage diminished on the Taliban. And the reason is that the moment the United States gave a date of exit, Taliban basically claimed victory. They’re thinking that they won the war. And so therefore, our ability to influence them diminishes the stronger they feel.

So the leverage we used was to bring them on — they were refusing to have talks, so it was Pakistan who got them to talk to the United States. And secondly, it was us pressurizing them, and really, it was [us] very toughly pushing them, pressurizing them to talk to the Afghan government. So that’s how far Pakistan has got.

Thottam: So given that long history with Afghanistan and recognizing the Taliban, are you saying that Pakistan has no more leverage left? What can you do now?

Khan: Well, Pakistan has been emphasizing to the Taliban that they should not go for a military victory because it’s not going to happen, because if they go for an all-out military victory, it would mean a protracted civil war. And the country that would be affected by a civil war, after Afghanistan, would be Pakistan. We would be affected because there are more Pashtuns in Pakistan than in Afghanistan.

And since the Taliban is primarily a Pashtun movement, this will have two effects. One, we are scared that this will be another influx of refugees into Pakistan. Already, the country has found it very difficult to cope with three million Afghan refugees. And so there will be another influx into Pakistan.

Secondly, our vision for the future is lifting our economy and trading through Afghanistan into Central Asia. We have signed very good trade deals with the Central Asian republics, but we can only go there through Afghanistan. If there is a civil war, all that goes down the drain.

Bayoumy: Are you also talking to the Kabul government about the situation right now? What happens if the Taliban take over Afghanistan by force?

Khan: I paid a visit to President Ghani earlier this year and sort of gave our full support to the Afghan government, telling them we will do everything for this peace settlement. There’s frequent exchanges between our intelligence agencies and the Afghan intelligence agencies, and between our army chief and the Afghan president and their army chief. So there has been constant communication between us.

Unfortunately, there is still a feeling in the Afghan government that Pakistan could do more, which I have to say is very disappointing to us when they blame us for being unable to, after so many years, to come to some sort of a settlement.

Let me assure you, we will do everything except use military action against the Taliban. I mean, we will do everything up to that. All sections of our society have decided that Pakistan will take no military action. We unfortunately — and I have to say, I opposed this military action — the United States pressured Pakistan to send its troops into the tribal areas, to flush out maybe a few hundred Al Qaeda [militants] who had come into Pakistan from Afghanistan after [the Battle of] Tora Bora.

Remember, the whole border [was] completely open. There was never any border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, which is called the Durand Line. Now, we are fencing it, and almost 90 percent of the border, we’ve fenced now.

What if [the] Taliban try to take over Afghanistan through [the] military? Then we will seal the border, because now we can, because we have fenced our border, which was previously [open], because Pakistan does not want to get into, number one, conflict. Secondly, we do not want another influx of refugees.

Bayoumy: Will you recognize the Taliban if they do carry out a full military takeover in Afghanistan?

Khan: Pakistan will only recognize a government which is chosen by the people of Afghanistan, whichever government they choose.

Bayoumy: On India: Do you think a different government in India than the one that exists right now, would make a difference to your relationship?

Khan: You know, probably out of all the Pakistanis, I know India better than all of them. I have had love and respect from India [more] than any one because cricket is a big sport. It’s almost religion in both the countries.

So when I assumed office, the first thing I did was I made this approach to Prime Minister Modi and said that, “Look, my main objective for coming to power is to alleviate poverty in Pakistan.” And the best way would be if India and Pakistan had a normal, civilized trading relationship. It would benefit both the countries.

So we tried. Didn’t get anywhere. I think that it is a peculiar ideology of the (Hindu nationalist group) R.S.S., which Narendra Modi belongs to, which just came up against a brick wall. And therefore the answer to your question is yes. Had there been another Indian leadership, I think we would have had a good relationship with them. And yes, we would have resolved all our differences through dialogue.

Bayoumy: So if the status quo remains on Kashmir, would you consider that a win for India?

Khan: I think it’s a disaster for India because it will just mean that this conflict festers on and on. And so as long as it festers, it’s going to stop there being any relationship — normal relationship — between Pakistan and India.

Bayoumy: What we’re seeing is a generally very close relationship between the U.S. and India, one that is also increasing mainly because the U.S. sees India as a check in the region against China’s rising influence. You have gone to a lot of lengths to deepen your relationship with the Chinese. So doesn’t that put Pakistan at irreconcilable odds with both the U.S. and India?

Khan: Well, firstly I must say I find it very, very odd that — why would the U.S. and China, become these great rivals? It makes no sense because the world would really benefit if the two giants, economic giants, really got along and traded with each other. So it would be a benefit for all of us.

Secondly, why do we have to choose sides — either it’s the U.S. or China? I think we should have a relationship with everyone. China has been very good to us, in the sense that after the war on terror, or during the war on terror, we took a real battering in this country.

Our debt went up, which happens when a country is in a war situation. Business activity freezes. The provinces and the tribal areas were devastated by this war.

So China is the country that came to Pakistan’s help. And obviously we’ve had a long relationship with China.

So number one, I do not see why the U.S. should think that India is going to be this bulwark against China. If India takes on this role, I think it would be detrimental for India because India’s trade with China is going to be beneficial for both India and China.

So I’m just watching the scenario unfold and with a bit of anxiety.

Yara Bayoumy is the world and national security editor and Jyoti Thottam is the deputy editor in Opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/opinion/imran-khan-pakistan-interview.html

Narendra Modi did invite previous Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif to inauguration, and coming down to Lahore attend his grand daughters wedding.
Modi got Pathankot Attacks, and a heavy criticism from everyone in India including Pappu Rahul Gandhi and Kangress in return as a gift.

May be Imran Khan should introspect and try to understand that why Modi has never even thought of speaking to him even on the Phone, barring that Letter exchange.
But, he would not.

Thank god we don't have a government that thinks compromising on Kashmir is the way to go.

Narendra Modi did invite previous Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif to inauguration, and coming down to Lahore attend his grand daughters wedding.
Modi got Pathankot Attacks, and a heavy criticism from everyone in India including Pappu Rahul Gandhi and Kangress in return as a gift.

May be Imran Khan should introspect and try to understand that why Modi has never even thought of speaking to him even on the Phone, barring that Letter exchange.
But, he would not.
pathankot was a false flag. Modi's visit to Pakistan and invitation of the PM to his swearing in ceremony were just for optics, like Putin said - certain people are really cunning and what Modi did is normal in his culture but most of us can see right through it. The false flag after was to support India's narrative about Pakistan, they've done the same with their fake "surgical" strikes.

pathankot was a false flag. Modi's visit to Pakistan and invitation of the PM to his swearing in ceremony were just for optics, like Putin said - certain people are really cunning and what Modi did is normal in his culture but most of us can see right through it. The false flag after was to support India's narrative about Pakistan, they've done the same with their fake "surgical" strikes.

If you believe what you believe in, then stop asking for attention.
People died in Pathankot attack, like in Mumbai attack and it is pretty shameful from Pakistani side to deem those loss of lives as false flag to suite their narrative.
Not a single apology for the lives lost in Mumbai attack till now, in fact, lot of posters from Pakistani side here boast about how wonderful it will be to a Win a match or World Cup Final in Mumbai.. Tragic loss of Indian lives do not matter. Then, don't expect any love from us then in return.

You can believe whatever you want. Its good Modi has kept Pakistan at an arms distance, for pakistanis tend to believe that Indians dying in terrorist attacks is false flag.

Please ask Imran to stop trying to get India's attention. Glad that he has been ignored by the Modi government.

You can believe whatever you want. Its good Modi has kept Pakistan at an arms distance, for pakistanis tend to believe that Indians dying in terrorist attacks is false flag.

Please ask Imran to stop trying to get India's attention. Glad that he has been ignored by the Modi government.

I believe that even IK knows that he can bring change to nothing. But the gullible bhakts will swallow whatever he says. So he continues not for the reason he states but for his own benefit.

How is he trying to get India's attention? He is addressing the Americans here, his mention of India was just to outline he tried to smooth relations, but the hindutva ruling party wants to maintain hostile relations with Pakistan.

Obviously the US has geopolitical ambitions in the region so all major parties involved are going to get discussed, and that includes India.

How is he trying to get India's attention? He is addressing the Americans here, his mention of India was just to outline he tried to smooth relations, but the hindutva ruling party wants to maintain hostile relations with Pakistan.

Obviously the US has geopolitical ambitions in the region so all major parties involved are going to get discussed, and that includes India.

He gets asked questions on relations with India, he gives an answer, and some people thinks that makes him desperate for talks with Modi.

Misleading title. Obviously most wont bother to read the article, but the questions were asked mostly on Afghanistan.

Also on this question IK appears very soft.

Bayoumy: Will you recognize the Taliban if they do carry out a full military takeover in Afghanistan?

Khan: Pakistan will only recognize a government which is chosen by the people of Afghanistan, whichever government they choose.

Pakistan has relations with China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc, who have governments who are not chosen by the people of their country. Why should Afghanistan be any different?

Ultimately its not Pakistan's business who rules in Afghanistan. If the people of Afghanistan dont want the Taliban to take over, then they should defeat them. Pakistan should not care one bit.

He gets asked questions on relations with India, he gives an answer, and some people thinks that makes him desperate for talks with Modi.

You could have had a point but IK himself tweets so much. He was tweeting about NRC in assam repeatedly and Assamese Muslims had to write to him about how he was wrong and that they don't want others meddling in their affairs.

How is India's relationship with USA or China relevant to Pakistan? How is RSS relevant to Pakistan?

How are NRC or CAA or Ayodhya or Indian Muslims relevant to Pakistan?

Imran has commented on all of this in the past.

You could have had a point but IK himself tweets so much. He was tweeting about NRC in assam repeatedly and Assamese Muslims had to write to him about how he was wrong and that they don't want others meddling in their affairs.

What does that have to do with Modi?

Anyway he tweets on issues effecting Indian Muslims, because the people of Pakistan care about those issues. We have more in common culturally with them then Muslims of other countries, so in Pakistan issues effecting them get alot of media attention, whether its Asssam, or Gujarat or Delhi. While issues effecting Muslims in other countries get almost zero coverage, with the exception of Palestine.

And we can be wrong, but when Indian Muslims say dont interfere in our affairs we dont take it seriously. We just assume that they are the minority in India, and they have to say that. And since they will never be the majority their is no way to prove if that's true or not.

Anyway he tweets on issues effecting Indian Muslims, because the people of Pakistan care about those issues. We have more in common culturally with them then Muslims of other countries, so in Pakistan issues effecting them get alot of media attention, whether its Asssam, or Gujarat or Delhi. While issues effecting Muslims in other countries get almost zero coverage, with the exception of Palestine.

And we can be wrong, but when Indian Muslims say dont interfere in our affairs we dont take it seriously. We just assume that they are the minority in India, and they have to say that. And since they will never be the majority their is no way to prove if that's true or not.

How is Assamese Muslims culturally similar to Pakistan?

And we can be wrong, but when Indian Muslims say dont interfere in our affairs we dont take it seriously.

This is manifestation of denial and obsession.

It is no different than when an obsessed guy can't take rejection from the girl and takes the rejection lightly making himself believe, "she doesn't know what she is talking."

That's the basic premise of obsession which many posters are pointing out towards IK.

It is no different than when an obsessed guy can't take rejection from the girl and takes the rejection lightly making himself believe, "she doesn't know what she is talking."

That's the basic premise of obsession which many posters are pointing out towards IK.

Do you think if Muslims were the majority in Gujarat they would want to be with India? If the Muslim majority West Punjab, Sindh, East Bengal, KPK, did not want to be part of a Hindu majority state, if the Muslim majority Kashmir Valley does not want to be part of Hindu majority India, is it wrong to assume that Indian Muslims in minority provinces would have felt the same way had they been in the majority?

Of course its an opinion, and I cant prove this to be true. But when you say and let me quote

I can say the same applies to non Muslim Indians who believe that Indian Muslims would feel the same way if they were the majority.

How is India's relationship with USA or China relevant to Pakistan? How is RSS relevant to Pakistan?

Because with the exception of the far left liberals, the majority of Pakistanis see Pakistan as not restricted to its geography, but represents the Muslim culture of the subcontinent. In particular North India. This is why their are things named Tipu Sultan. This is why traitors are called Mir Jafar.

Its wrong, but the majority of Pakistani Muslims would care more about issues effecting Indian Muslim then they would about issues effecting Pakistani non Muslims. And in their heart of hearts they would feel closer to the Indian Muslim then they would to the Pakistani non Muslim.

How is Assamese Muslims culturally similar to Pakistan?

Dont they also speak an Indo-Aryan language? Thats one thing right their, linguistics. As far as I can tell their culture seems similar to Bengali's. Which would mean we have more in common with them then other Muslims, like Arabs, or Persians, or Turks, etc.

Dont they also speak an Indo-Aryan language? Thats one thing right their, linguistics. As far as I can tell their culture seems similar to Bengali's. Which would mean we have more in common with them then other Muslims, like Arabs, or Persians, or Turks, etc.

I used to be think of you as a knowledgeable poster who rarely speaks in subject unknown to him. But here you are throwing stones to a mango tree hoping one or two will fall off.

Ask CJ if we are similar (he is Bengali, I am Assamese).

I have no idea about various other topics, I was addressing the comments he made as regarding this one in OP. As a PM of a nation state, Imran will discuss international matters with other leaders, that is part of his remit. Without knowing the context of all of those topics you have mentioned it would be ignorant to comment. Perhaps you should bring it up in those respective threads so we can get a full picture.

I used to be think of you as a knowledgeable poster who rarely speaks in subject unknown to him. But here you are throwing stones to a mango tree hoping one or two will fall off.

Ask CJ if we are similar (he is Bengali, I am Assamese).

Ultimately ones opinions are shaped based on their life experiences. I am originally from Karachi, and we have pretty much every ethnic group in the subcontinent who lives their. I dont see a huge difference between them. I am now living in the west, and have seen Arab, Persian, Turkish, Somali, etc Muslims, and I feel a huge difference between them culturally.

So pakistanis can decide that they have the right to poke their nose in other countries. They will also decide to keep doing it when the other side asks them not to.

Then you guys wonder why your opinion is ignored by Indian govt and why the Indian government doesn't care if the relationship with Pakistan is bad.

Its better to have a bad relationship than to have you guys poke your noses in our country.

Do you think if Muslims were the majority in Gujarat they would want to be with India? If the Muslim majority West Punjab, Sindh, East Bengal, KPK, did not want to be part of a Hindu majority state, if the Muslim majority Kashmir Valley does not want to be part of Hindu majority India, is it wrong to assume that Indian Muslims in minority provinces would have felt the same way had they been in the majority?

Of course its an opinion, and I cant prove this to be true. But when you say and let me quote

I can say the same applies to non Muslim Indians who believe that Indian Muslims would feel the same way if they were the majority.

What makes Pakistanis the judge of all this? Who made you the authority? India is a separate country and pakistanis have no stake there. So your PM has no business talking about citizens of another country and when that country slams the door, he whines that he wanted good relations.

First rule of having good Diplomatic relationship with another country is that you dont interfere in the matters of that country.

What makes Pakistanis the judge of all this? Who made you the authority?

I said it was an opinion in that post. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

India is a separate country and pakistanis have no stake there. So your PM has no business talking about citizens of another country and when that country slams the door, he whines that he wanted good relations.

First rule of having good Diplomatic relationship with another country is that you dont interfere in the matters of that country.

But we dont have good diplomatic relations. They really cant get worse, as they are non existent right now, so it makes no difference if we comment on CAA, NRC, Babri Masjid. If we had good relations then yes, it would be a bad idea to comment on another country's issues.

Also the relations between India and Pakistan are not bad because Pakistan PM is commenting on internal issues of India. India wants Pakistan to stop cross border terrorism, and take action against various militants. Pakistan wants a change of the status of the valley.

So at the end of the day IK comments are not effecting diplomatic relations.

So pakistanis can decide that they have the right to poke their nose in other countries. They will also decide to keep doing it when the other side asks them not to.

Then you guys wonder why your opinion is ignored by Indian govt and why the Indian government doesn't care if the relationship with Pakistan is bad.

Its better to have a bad relationship than to have you guys poke your noses in our country.

Genuine question: do you think Pakistan pokes nose into your country as much as India pokes nose into Pakistan's? India interfered in East Pakistan militarily never mind making comments. India interferes on Pakistan border areas in Afghanistan, Iran and China, again often in military terms let alone the odd quote here or there. Do you see Pakistanis take such interest in Indian southern borders?

Genuine question: do you think Pakistan pokes nose into your country as much as India pokes nose into Pakistan's? India interfered in East Pakistan militarily never mind making comments. India interferes on Pakistan border areas in Afghanistan, Iran and China, again often in military terms let alone the odd quote here or there. Do you see Pakistanis take such interest in Indian southern borders?

Afghanistan Iran or China are not pakistani territories, they are sovereign territories and they can decide their relationship with India.

Pakistan interfered in India in 1965. Then in 1971 millions of east Pakistanis started pouring into India. Pakistan did nothing to stop millions of its citizens from invading India. Even then it was Pakistan which started the war by launching OP Chengiz Khan and bombing India.

Afghanistan Iran or China are not pakistani territories, they are sovereign territories and they can decide their relationship with India.

Pakistan interfered in India in 1965. Then in 1971 millions of east Pakistanis started pouring into India. Pakistan did nothing to stop millions of its citizens from invading India. Even then it was Pakistan which started the war by launching OP Chengiz Khan and bombing India.

You didn't answer my question. Do you think Pakistan interferes with your southern borders as much as India interferes with Pakistan's immediate borders?

You didn't answer my question. Do you think Pakistan interferes with your southern borders as much as India interferes with Pakistan's immediate borders?

India doesn't interfere with Pakistan's borders. Pakistan cannot decide how other sovereign states deal with India, within their territories.

India doesn't interfere with Pakistan's borders. Pakistan cannot decide how other sovereign states deal with India, within their territories.

Tou Abhinandan kya sirif Chai peenay aaya tha?

And what about ur other buddy Kulbhushan?

I mean we could start imagining hypothetical scenarios till the cows come home but since independence, a muslim majority region has seceded from only one country in the subcontinent and it is not the "Hindu majority India". I'll leave the guessing part to you.

Ultimately ones opinions are shaped based on their life experiences. I am originally from Karachi, and we have pretty much every ethnic group in the subcontinent who lives their. I dont see a huge difference between them. I am now living in the west, and have seen Arab, Persian, Turkish, Somali, etc Muslims, and I feel a huge difference between them culturally.

India is very different from Pakistan in terms of demography. From state to State, the whole environment, society, standards and norms changes a lot. That's why you can't compare west Bengal with bihar or Assam or manipur or even Delhi.

As far the subject goes, it is evident that you hold the same view as IK. You take yourself in a mighty high position with the righteous attitude and isn't prepare to listen to the very targeted people who have asked you not to meddle. You believe you know better to them so you'll be continued to obsess even when asked not to.

I guess there's nothing much I can say. The world doesn't revolve around what IK or you wish. IK can throw his opinion day after day but it will gradually decline his image and integrity since those very people doesn't want him in their struggle (if there is).

As far the subject goes, it is evident that you hold the same view as IK. You take yourself in a mighty high position with the righteous attitude and isn't prepare to listen to the very targeted people who have asked you not to meddle. You believe you know better to them so you'll be continued to obsess even when asked not to.

I guess there's nothing much I can say. The world doesn't revolve around what IK or you wish. IK can throw his opinion day after day but it will gradually decline his image and integrity since those very people doesn't want him in their struggle (if there is).

Since you mentioned me personally, my own opinion is that the Pakistan government should bother with any issues in India outside of Kashmir.

However as a politician IK has a duty to talk about issues that the people of Pakistan care about. Thats what all politicians do. Same way Pakistani media will cover issues that the Pakistani people care about as well, as that makes business sense.

Would you apply the same standard to Indians and especially Indian politicians? Why do Indian politicians talk about forced conversions in Pakistan or rights of minorities in Pakistan? Have Pakistani minorities asked Indian government to do so?

Since you mentioned me personally, my own opinion is that the Pakistan government should bother with any issues in India outside of Kashmir.

However as a politician IK has a duty to talk about issues that the people of Pakistan care about. Thats what all politicians do. Same way Pakistani media will cover issues that the Pakistani people care about as well, as that makes business sense.

Would you apply the same standard to Indians and especially Indian politicians? Why do Indian politicians talk about forced conversions in Pakistan or rights of minorities in Pakistan? Have Pakistani minorities asked Indian government to do so?

We are talking about IK here. if you want to discuss about Indian politicians and their voice in external affairs, you can start a thread and we can discuss.

As of now, talking about Indian politician will be off topic here.

Secondly, IK is not just a politician. He's the PM of a country. As a politician, he may not respect the field but he should at least respect the PM chair to not resort to these cheap tricks to gain popularity which is fading away drastically.

We are talking about IK here. if you want to discuss about Indian politicians and their voice in external affairs, you can start a thread and we can discuss.

As of now, talking about Indian politician will be off topic here.

Secondly, IK is not just a politician. He's the PM of a country. As a politician, he may not respect the field but he should at least respect the PM chair to not resort to these cheap tricks to gain popularity which is fading away drastically.

He is using Indian example to show that politicians all over the world do the same thing so criticism of Imran Khan on this is hollow and reeks of hypocrisy. In that sense it is very relevant to show you your own face in the mirror.

According to statement made in your NA, close to 5000 pakistani hindus seek asylum in India every year. I guess pakistan has made it India's problem.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1105830

As long as you keep your problems within pakistan and not allow it into India, India should not bother.

He is using Indian example to show that politicians all over the world do the same thing so criticism of Imran Khan on this is hollow and reeks of hypocrisy. In that sense it is very relevant to show you your own face in the mirror.

Pakistani minorities are coming to India and seeking refugee status here. Pakistan is letting its issues spill into India, making it an issue for India.

Pakistani minorities are coming to India and seeking refugee status here. Pakistan is letting its issues spill into India, making it an issue for India.

So what? It's not me who is demanding a PM of his country stop discussing Indian issues.

Its wrong, but the majority of Pakistani Muslims would care more about issues effecting Indian Muslim then they would about issues effecting Pakistani non Muslims. And in their heart of hearts they would feel closer to the Indian Muslim then they would to the Pakistani non Muslim.

Had I been a Pakistani muslim, I probably would not dislike hindus or sikhs but would hate Indian muslims with a passion.

By choosing to stay back in India in 1947, Indian muslims have rejected Mr. Jinnah's two-nation theory lock, stock and barrel. And by doing do, they have rejected the idea of Pakistan itself. I would have zero sympathy for them.

We can discuss about Indian and Pakistani politics all day long.

But according to PP guidelines, talking about Indian politics in a Pakistani politics thread and vice versa will be regarded as off topic and violation of community guidelines.

It is for the respect towards PP that I am requesting people to bump the relevant thread for specific discussion instead of talking about off topic subjects in a thread.

We can discuss about Indian and Pakistani politics all day long.

But according to PP guidelines, talking about Indian politics in a Pakistani politics thread and vice versa will be regarded as off topic and violation of community guidelines.

It is for the respect towards PP that I am requesting people to bump the relevant thread for specific discussion instead of talking about off topic subjects in a thread.

This is not about Pakistan vs India, the example being used is to show that PM of a country is well within his rights to discuss other countries when in talks with other world leaders or journalists. It is necessary to show examples to point this out, in this case Indian example was best way to do this. You are trying to hamstring the discussion by asking us not to show context.

So what? It's not me who is demanding a PM of his country stop discussing Indian issues.

So India is talking about issues that are affecting India. While pakistan is talking about issues that do not affect it.

Well, he can keep tweeting about India, glad that the door has been firmly shut on his face and hopefully will remain shut.

So India is talking about issues that are affecting India. While pakistan is talking about issues that do not affect it.

Well, he can keep tweeting about India, glad that the door has been firmly shut on his face and hopefully will remain shut.

What you think doesn't really matter for Imran Khan, all this talk of shutting doors is just noise on a discussion board by little people he isn't even aware of. IK will keep giving his opinion and addressing world leaders, you can like it or not.

What you think doesn't really matter for Imran Khan, all this talk of shutting doors is just noise on a discussion board by little people he isn't even aware of. IK will keep giving his opinion and addressing world leaders, you can like it or not.

Imran's opinion is immaterial to me or India. He keeps tweeting while India keeps ignoring him.

Thats the best treatment for him. Ignore him.

I won't comment on the India-Pakistan stuff in this thread.

Pakistan is well within its rights to address its concerns over Afghanistan and a potential civil war. An influx of refugees would be terrible at this stage, because our main priority should be to bolster economic growth.

I hope that Biden understands what can happen in the region if the United States acts irrationally, but given their history of causing conflicts, I would say that it's quite likely he's a bonehead who won't do anything that can prevent conflict.

Unfortunately, I think that the last resort for Pakistan, in a situation where a civil war is happening, would be to completely shut off the border, and bring the military there to prevent any terrorists from entering the country via Afghanistan. The United Nations should be tasked with dealing with the refugees in that situation.

However, I truly hope that a peaceful compromise is reached in Afghanistan. People have suffered enough already.

Generally speaking international diplomacy is guided by "politics end at the water's edge". Leaders do not comment on the internal politics of other countries.

IK being what he is, doesn't follow the norms of international diplomacy, which is part of the reason for his failure to get anything accomplished.

Not sure why my fellow Indian posters are bothered. Just like our PM has put Imran on permanent ignore list, we also should not bother much what he is saying. If it was any other regime in India, Imran surely would have dictated terms. But Modi is a different ball game all together and Imran knows it too.

Not sure why my fellow Indian posters are bothered. Just like our PM has put Imran on permanent ignore list, we also should not bother much what he is saying. If it was any other regime in India, Imran surely would have dictated terms. But Modi is a different ball game all together and Imran knows it too.

Bro the point is about this self inflated ego.. lol. Even in RAGA or Manmohan or Sonia were in power, Imran would have found no voice and no one in India would have bothered to listen to his rants, and believe me, He still would have been ranting no matter which government was in power in India.
The Irony is, the Party(Congress) which Pakistanis drool over was the one in power when Pakistan was divided. Indra Gandhi and his cabinet, and his bureaucrats from Congress architected that and won the 1971 War.

Yeah not sure why either. I guess this must be really important for Indian posters.

Prime Minister Imran Khan has said that Pakistan wanted a “civilised relationship” with the United States, post-Afghan drawdown and would like to improve bilateral trade ties.

In an interview with New York Times, the prime minister said that after the US announced the deadline for withdrawal of troops from the war-battered country, Pakistan’s leverage on the Taliban had diminished.

“Pakistan would want a civilised relationship, which you have between nations, and we would like to improve our trading relationship with the US,” Imran told the newspaper. “So a relationship which is even-handed,” he added.

During the war against terrorism, Imran noted, the Pakistan-US relations were “a bit lopsided” because the US felt that they were giving aid to Pakistan, therefore Pakistan had to do US bidding. He added that what Pakistan did at the US bidding, actually cost the country a lot in human lives.

“Seventy thousand Pakistanis died, and over $150 billion were lost to the economy because there were suicide bombings and bombs going on all over the country. That’s where the problem began. The US kept expecting more from Pakistan. And unfortunately, Pakistani governments tried to deliver what they were not capable of.”

In the post-drawdown scenario, Imran opined that Pakistan should have some strategic relevance to the US. “We have one of the biggest markets on one side of Pakistan, and then China on [the] other side. And then the energy corridor, Central Asia, Iran… So Pakistan, in that sense, is strategically placed for the future in terms of economics,” Imran said.

“I don’t know. Post the US withdrawal, I don’t know what sort of military relationship it will be. But right now, the relationship should be based on this common objective that there is a political solution in Afghanistan before the United States leaves,” he added.

When asked how worried was he about a civil war in Afghanistan, Imran replied that Pakistan had been emphasising to the Taliban that they should not go for a military victory because if they go for an all-out military victory, it would mean a protracted civil war.

“And the country that would be affected by a civil war, after Afghanistan, would be Pakistan. We would be affected because there are more Pashtuns in Pakistan than in Afghanistan,” he said. “This will have two effects” he added. “One, another influx of refugees into Pakistan and secondly, our vision for the future is lifting our economy and trading through Afghanistan into Central Asia [will be disrupted].”

He also said: “Let me assure you, we will do everything except the use of military action against the Taliban. I mean, we will do everything up to that. All sections of our society have decided that Pakistan will take no military action.”

Imran said that he met President Ashraf Ghani earlier this year and gave full support to the Afghan government. “Pakistan will only recognise a government which is chosen by the people of Afghanistan, whichever government they choose.”

Ties with India

Imran said that he approached India Prime Minister Narendra Modi immediately after assuming the premiership but “[his offer] didn’t get anywhere”. He added: “Had there been another Indian leadership, I think we would have had a good relationship with them.”

When asked about the growing relations between the US and India, Imran that countries should have relations with everyone. “Why do we have to choose sides — either it’s the US or China? I think we should have a relationship with everyone,” he added.

“I do not see why the US should think that India is going to be this bulwark against China. If India takes on this role, I think it would be detrimental for India because India’s trade with China is going to be beneficial for both India and China.”

IK has become more and more propaganda machine for China than premier of Pakistan.

His diplomacy ability is very questionable and looks helpless (victim mentality) in most cases.

Prime Minister Imran Khan has said that Pakistan wanted a “civilised relationship” with the United States, post-Afghan drawdown and would like to improve bilateral trade ties.

In an interview with New York Times, the prime minister said that after the US announced the deadline for withdrawal of troops from the war-battered country, Pakistan’s leverage on the Taliban had diminished.

“Pakistan would want a civilised relationship, which you have between nations, and we would like to improve our trading relationship with the US,” Imran told the newspaper. “So a relationship which is even-handed,” he added.

During the war against terrorism, Imran noted, the Pakistan-US relations were “a bit lopsided” because the US felt that they were giving aid to Pakistan, therefore Pakistan had to do US bidding. He added that what Pakistan did at the US bidding, actually cost the country a lot in human lives.

“Seventy thousand Pakistanis died, and over $150 billion were lost to the economy because there were suicide bombings and bombs going on all over the country. That’s where the problem began. The US kept expecting more from Pakistan. And unfortunately, Pakistani governments tried to deliver what they were not capable of.”

In the post-drawdown scenario, Imran opined that Pakistan should have some strategic relevance to the US. “We have one of the biggest markets on one side of Pakistan, and then China on [the] other side. And then the energy corridor, Central Asia, Iran… So Pakistan, in that sense, is strategically placed for the future in terms of economics,” Imran said.

“I don’t know. Post the US withdrawal, I don’t know what sort of military relationship it will be. But right now, the relationship should be based on this common objective that there is a political solution in Afghanistan before the United States leaves,” he added.

When asked how worried was he about a civil war in Afghanistan, Imran replied that Pakistan had been emphasising to the Taliban that they should not go for a military victory because if they go for an all-out military victory, it would mean a protracted civil war.

“And the country that would be affected by a civil war, after Afghanistan, would be Pakistan. We would be affected because there are more Pashtuns in Pakistan than in Afghanistan,” he said. “This will have two effects” he added. “One, another influx of refugees into Pakistan and secondly, our vision for the future is lifting our economy and trading through Afghanistan into Central Asia [will be disrupted].”

He also said: “Let me assure you, we will do everything except the use of military action against the Taliban. I mean, we will do everything up to that. All sections of our society have decided that Pakistan will take no military action.”

Imran said that he met President Ashraf Ghani earlier this year and gave full support to the Afghan government. “Pakistan will only recognise a government which is chosen by the people of Afghanistan, whichever government they choose.”

Ties with India

Imran said that he approached India Prime Minister Narendra Modi immediately after assuming the premiership but “[his offer] didn’t get anywhere”. He added: “Had there been another Indian leadership, I think we would have had a good relationship with them.”

When asked about the growing relations between the US and India, Imran that countries should have relations with everyone. “Why do we have to choose sides — either it’s the US or China? I think we should have a relationship with everyone,” he added.

“I do not see why the US should think that India is going to be this bulwark against China. If India takes on this role, I think it would be detrimental for India because India’s trade with China is going to be beneficial for both India and China.

Is he a Prime Minister of India or Pakistan ? Trade between India and China is still greater(88 billion vs 15 billion) then trade between Pakistan and China i believe. Plus China is not the only trade partner for India there is plenty of diversification in terms of trade with Australia/South Korea/France/Japan/USA etc. The list is long.

What is he talking about ?

Source :

China back as India's top trade partner even as relations sour
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ations-sour/articleshow/81166575.cms?from=mdr

According to official data, Pakistan and China's bilateral trade volume grew to some $15.6 billion in the 2019 fiscal year, up from $2.2 billion in 2005.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/pakistan-sees-nearly-70-rise-in-exports-to-china/2229981

IK has become more and more propaganda machine for China than premier of Pakistan.

His diplomacy ability is very questionable and looks helpless (victim mentality) in most cases.

I do not believe that totally. What he said about Afghanistan was spot on, but that last line about his concern for India-US relation affecting India-China trade is unwarranted. He could have stopped at saying countries should have relation with everyone which is very accurate but then he goes on to namedrop China.
Not saying it is propaganda on behalf of China but unwarranted statements sour the relationship at the premier level. You can't be extending your diplomatic brief just because someone asked you a question.

What is victim mentality about putting his point of view to a world leader?

I do not believe that totally. What he said about Afghanistan was spot on, but that last line about his concern for India-US relation affecting India-China trade is unwarranted. He could have stopped at saying countries should have relation with everyone which is very accurate but then he goes on to namedrop China.
Not saying it is propaganda on behalf of China but unwarranted statements sour the relationship at the premier level. You can't be extending your diplomatic brief just because someone asked you a question.

He is acting like a shameless lackey for the Chinese Communist Party though. Those loans don't come cheap, of course, the Pakistani Prime Minister has to sell his dignity as well.

It's a fact that China is a major player in the Asian continent, he can hardly avoid mentioning their presence and growing investment in Pakistan and other nations on that trade route. If the USA wants to press Pakistan in a certain direction, they need to offer something long lasting and concrete as an alternative to PK longstanding relations with China. Nothing is set in stone.

Err no. We had 10 years of NDA government under Manmohan and we didnt have good relations. It doesnt matter who comes to power now . Not after 26/11

It's a fact that China is a major player in the Asian continent, he can hardly avoid mentioning their presence and growing investment in Pakistan and other nations on that trade route. If the USA wants to press Pakistan in a certain direction, they need to offer something long lasting and concrete as an alternative to PK longstanding relations with China. Nothing is set in stone.

How is China-pakistan relationship relevant to India-US or India China?

Pakistan is in dire need of Chinese money. India isn't neither is USA.

He should keep his advise to how his country wants to keep relations with China and not how others should act. He comes across a as Chinese PR agent.

He should keep his advise to how his country wants to keep relations with China and not how others should act. He comes across a as Chinese PR agent.

He's like THAT uncle in the family who gives advices to others always whether they asks or not even though the situation in his home is worse.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"Our neighbouring country will remain our neighbour for many hundred years. Can firing bullets at each other solve the problem? Why can't we find a solution through dialogue? But I believe wisdom will prevail someday": Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in Ladakh<br><br>(ANI) <a href="https://t.co/rmnVlI1ba1">pic.twitter.com/rmnVlI1ba1</a></p>— NDTV (@ndtv) <a href="https://twitter.com/ndtv/status/1409507814142201859?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This seems like a massive step back from the usual extreme rhetoric Indian politicians have. But the Indian posters here were saying that India would just ignore Pakistan and IK’s call for dialogues?

It seems like their government doesn’t run based on the wishes of keyboard warriors lol. Dialogue with Pakistan is literally the only option India has.

Last edited:

Not sure what IK means by "We have one of the biggest markets on one side of Pakistan, and then China on [the] other side". If he means that Pakistan is a big market, that is not correct.

Pakistan can be a big market due to its large population, but poor people without purchasing power are not a big market irrespective of their numbers. If Pakistan fixes its economy, develops modern industries, puts money in the hands of the mass of its citizens, then it will be a big market. It is not one right now.

His job is to put his case for Pakistan and he can do that by referencing any country in the region which he believes is relevant to the discussion. You are anyone else don't have to like it. If you can stop him, by all means do so, otherwise it is all hot air being puffed uselessly.

His job is to put his case for Pakistan and he can do that by referencing any country in the region which he believes is relevant to the discussion. You are anyone else don't have to like it. If you can stop him, by all means do so, otherwise it is all hot air being puffed uselessly.

Who cares for his rants? That India has reduced him to ranting on twitter and media and that he still continues is hilarious. I quite enjoy his helplessness and frustration.

According to statement made in your NA, close to 5000 pakistani hindus seek asylum in India every year. I guess pakistan has made it India's problem.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1105830

As long as you keep your problems within pakistan and not allow it into India, India should not bother.

India can deny asylum. Have you thought about that?

Same way Pakistanis dont care about the problems of Muslims from Myanmar, China, Philipiines, Darfur, etc, India does not have to care about the issues of Pakistani Hindus.

Had I been a Pakistani muslim, I probably would not dislike hindus or sikhs but would hate Indian muslims with a passion.

By choosing to stay back in India in 1947, Indian muslims have rejected Mr. Jinnah's two-nation theory lock, stock and barrel. And by doing do, they have rejected the idea of Pakistan itself. I would have zero sympathy for them.

Indian Muslims were never supposed to come to Pakistan. Pakistan did not receive one inch of UP, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Rajasthan. Pakistan was supposed to be only for the Muslim majority areas to be independent, which would give the Muslims of British India some political power.

This is a fiction peddled by Indians ether of ignorance or try to discredit the creation of Pakistan, that Indian Muslims did not come to Pakistan so they rejected the idea of Pakistan. Majority of Indian Muslims in British India voted for Jinnah.

Indian Muslims were never supposed to come to Pakistan. Pakistan did not receive one inch of UP, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Rajasthan. Pakistan was supposed to be only for the Muslim majority areas to be independent, which would give the Muslims of British India some political power.

This is a fiction peddled by Indians ether of ignorance or try to discredit the creation of Pakistan, that Indian Muslims did not come to Pakistan so they rejected the idea of Pakistan. Majority of Indian Muslims in British India voted for Jinnah.

Pakistan was supposed to be a country for Muslims of the SC.

Why will you receive Hindu majority areas?

Many Muslims from UP Bihar Rajasthan Gujarat migrated to Pakistan.

Pakistan post partition couldn't even keep the areas it was given and fractured due to differences with bengali speaking muslims.

Lets not talk about elections in a colony.

India can deny asylum. Have you thought about that?

Same way Pakistanis dont care about the problems of Muslims from Myanmar, China, Philipiines, Darfur, etc, India does not have to care about the issues of Pakistani Hindus.

They enter India as pilgrims and stay back as refugees.

What pakistanis do is not my concern! Pakistan has a habit of sending large refugees into India due to repression of minorities or even other Muslims and when India is forced to take measures to stop it, Pakistanis cry foul.

Its difficult to talk with a Hindu extremist government. It doesnt help their leaders are not educated, lack intelligence and have no dignity.

Who cares for his rants? That India has reduced him to ranting on twitter and media and that he still continues is hilarious. I quite enjoy his helplessness and frustration.

Lol, all i see is you ranting about Imran’s tweets in every single thread. Why can’t you just ignore him? This is a serious obsession.

He is doing the correct thing, informing the World and people are noticing his tweets. What else can he do? Go and fight with Modi?

Lol, all i see is you ranting about Imran’s tweets in every single thread. Why can’t you just ignore him? This is a serious obsession.

He is doing the correct thing, informing the World and people are noticing his tweets. What else can he do? Go and fight with Modi?

Well for starters there are more topics and interest discussing Indias handling of the pandemic and Indias financial status than what is happening in Pakistan which obviously I am assuming is doing fine as we have already been told FATF has 0 credibility so we are left to discuss Imran’s evolved take on India.

Now coming to Imran fighting with Modi well Kashmir’s 70 year old special status just got revoked and Indias aggression as it is called here finally became official as now J & K is just like any other state in India. So that ship has sailed, I think the Kashmir hour was also a passing far so if the only topic left in relation to India and Pakistan are Imran’s tweets.

Yes it's so funny seeing these guys using words like whining, begging or ranting about Imran Khan in multiple threads across different topics. To think they come specially onto a Pak forum to rant about IK's every utterance only highlights their anger and turmoil that he is getting to them big time. Honestly I wouldn't even know half the stuff he said if they weren't constantly rehashing them on internet forums.

As far PP demography goes, what I see here is, resident Pakistanis criticizing him for not voicing in Pakistans internal matters where the public actually wants him to be involved.

The support comes from non resident Pakistanis (especially brit ones) where they don't have to face any repercussions of his actions.

So what IK can do?

For a start, maybe stop being mouth piece of Chinese propaganda and try to be a premier for Pakistan atleast for a day. People have voted him with hopes and he should respect those sentiments.

Back