Halal and kosher meat labelling reforms under consideration, MPs told

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The Government will consider reforms to mandatory labelling this year, including plans to make it clear if meat taken from animals was slaughtered in a halal or kosher way without pre-stunning.

Conservative MP for Shipley, Philip Davies, told the Commons: “Some people particularly want to buy halal and kosher meat and some people particularly want to avoid buying halal and kosher meat.

We want to make it easier for consumers to purchase products aligned with their values

“So isn’t it the time to actually properly label all of these products appropriately so consumers – whether they want to buy it or don’t want to buy it – can make an informed decision?”

Environment minister Mark Spencer said: “The Government has committed to consult on mandatory labelling reforms this year. We want to make it easier for consumers to purchase products aligned with their values.

“As part of this consultation we will seek views on labelling products that conform with religious requirements, such as halal and kosher.”

From news to politics, travel to sport, culture to climate – The Independent has a host of free newsletters to suit your interests. To find the stories you want to read, and more, in your inbox, click here.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...sedgntp&cvid=77e52e771ba34b268e87aac0b37162f8

Good move. I hope it will be implemented.

It can make things easier and faster.

Last edited:
items are already labelled as halal or kosher, not sure what they want to change here.

Hmm. Philip Davies has gone from left-inquisitve to right, to center-right but I like this centrist thinking. Particularly his views of flags on religious building having to align with British values or none at all

items are already labelled as halal or kosher, not sure what they want to change here.

Most lamb from major supermarkets is technically 'halal'. Its imported from NZ and they slaughter all their meat to be halal so they can export worldwide.

Major chains like Dominos etc also technically use halal chicken.

It seems to be an issue for EDL types who think it's the stealth implementation of shariah.

Most lamb from major supermarkets is technically 'halal'. Its imported from NZ and they slaughter all their meat to be halal so they can export worldwide.

It seems to be an issue for EDL types who think it's the stealth implementation of shariah.

got it.

just randomly, do people who eat halal only eat kosher interchangebly, i know some people who did this, in the us mostly, but dont think its very common in the UK given the abundance of halal options.

got it.

just randomly, do people who eat halal only eat kosher interchangebly, i know some people who did this, in the us mostly, but dont think its very common in the UK given the abundance of halal options.

Muslims can eat kosher. But, if there is halal option available, why go for kosher? Check below:

got it.

Even though its religiously allowed Ive never had kosher just because there is a lot of halal options.

The only type I have been tempted is to try the famous brick lane beigels but sadly even though the businesses are jewish owned they aren't kosher.

Even though its religiously allowed Ive never had kosher just because there is a lot of halal options.

The only type I have been tempted is to try the famous brick lane beigels but sadly even though the businesses are jewish owned they aren't kosher.

you came down to London and didnt even say hi. this thread has taken a turn for the worst. #sadrejectionnoises

So how will it be labelled differently now? I'm guessing it will be spelled out in English instead of Arabic or Jewish language?

So how will it be labelled differently now? I'm guessing it will be spelled out in English instead of Arabic or Jewish language?

Probably a peace dove sign for Kosher and a bloody knife for halal :)

Im assuming its mainly to appease the woke crowd who wrongly believe stunning is less pain and Jews. Most halal meat is bought from local Muslim stores not supermarkets, although the availability has increased.

IVe ate Kosher , it was Turkey burgers, very tasty too.

Nice. Never tried Kosher. But, I have visited a Jewish store once. Didn't buy anything. Was just checking out.

I knew a Jewish chap, he offered me some.

How do Jews kill their animals to eat? Or how does Judaism advise them to?

Interesting process.

But I think the Islamic method is far superiour to the animals welfare.

The chicken in the video didnt look too well, it was also scared in the small box.

In true Islamic method, the animal must be fed, taken care of , kept in an open enviornment. No bones or damage should be on the body. No other animal should also see another being slaughtered.

Finally the holy words should calm the animal, almost in a trance state. See below.

Probably a peace dove sign for Kosher and a bloody knife for halal :)

Im assuming its mainly to appease the woke crowd who wrongly believe stunning is less pain and Jews. Most halal meat is bought from local Muslim stores not supermarkets, although the availability has increased.

IVe ate Kosher , it was Turkey burgers, very tasty too.

I bet the kosher will not be a peace sign and halal not a bloody sword. Only paranoid people would come up with that scenario.

Yes it gives the racists and prejudiced a choice, but in a country like the UK, I don't see any practical value in it considering that most takeaway joints use halal meat to sell their products.

These same racists probably order from there without giving it second thought or when they pop in for their donner kebab after getting ****** on a Saturday night.

This is just one example but I have to laugh when there is an outcry when these people say they're not eating from a particular establishment since it pretty much unavoidable.

Back