Hashim Amla | The Mega Discussion Thread

Hashim Amla. What a player. One of the toughest pitches in recent times and he's scored more than 110 runs on it. He's not invincible like he was during his golden five year peak but still a world class player even at the age of 34.

Yet another match-winning contribution in some really tough conditions. He always steps up when batting is most difficult.

I was extremely happy with the way Hash batted in this match. He looked to be the most difficult player to get out on this wicket esp with his changed technique.

Slap in the face of all his haters.

He's gonna retire with a mid 40s test batting average. Certainly a great of this generation but not a legend of the game which is no shame given South African hasn't produced any before him either.

Hashim Amla. What a player. One of the toughest pitches in recent times and he's scored more than 110 runs on it. He's not invincible like he was during his golden five year peak but still a world class player even at the age of 34.

Yet another match-winning contribution in some really tough conditions. He always steps up when batting is most difficult.

You should have kept your celebrations at bay before the match finished :)))

He finished the series with an average of 33.83 while Kohli averaged 47.66 ...... Well done, Kohli!

Hampshire Cricket are delighted to announce the signing of South African International, Hashim Amla.

The 34-year-old batsman has signed deal to become the Club’s overseas player for the first three months of the 2018 season, a period which will see him feature in both the Specsavers County Championship and Royal London One-Day Cup competitions.

Amla possesses a wealth of experience at both international and domestic level, having represented South Africa in no less than 320 matches since making his debut 2004, whilst also totalling 574 appearances domestically.

The right-hander holds an outstanding record in both Tests and ODIs, having scored more than 16,000 runs at an average of 49.61 across both formats, whilst he became the first South African to score a triple century in Test cricket when reaching a career-best 311* against England at the Oval in 2012.

Hampshire Director of Cricket, Giles White said: “Hashim is an exciting acquisition for us and we feel he’ll be an excellent fit within the group we’ve got, both on and off the pitch.

“He’s a world-class player and this addition adds strength and depth to our batting for the first three months of the season - runs on the board are important and hopefully this will help us achieve that consistently in both the four-day and 50-over competitions. We’re looking forward to welcoming Hashim and his family to the Club.”

Hashim Amla said: “I am really pleased to be joining a Club like Hampshire. Everyone I have spoken to, who have either played or are currently playing there, have only had good things to say about the team.

“I look forward to spending the first three months of the season with them, which works out well for me to be able to get some high-quality cricket in before the Proteas tour to Sri Lanka in July.”

The best way to catch Hashim and the Hampshire squad in action at the Ageas Bowl is with a 2018 Hampshire Cricket Membership, your ticket to up to 39 days of action this season.

9000 test runs for Hashim Bhai :amla. Has been a very good test batsman for SA over the years. A Saffer great only behind Smith,Kallis and AB. Whaddaplaya!

1 purple patch doesn't make you an ATG. Amla struggled a lot at the start of his career and has been on a slow decline since 2015.

A great of his era but not an ATG for me. Hopefully he finishes his career on a high and not on poor performances .

1 purple patch doesn't make you an ATG. Amla struggled a lot at the start of his career and has been on a slow decline since 2015.

A great of his era but not an ATG for me. Hopefully he finishes his career on a high and not on poor performances .

Just one purple patch can't get you to 9000 runs in test cricket.

South African great.

The highlight of his career is that he has dominated one complete series in Australia, England and India. Not many boost this record.

What happened to his playing spin ability? He is only player who can play spin against lankans. He is out of form for a while now.

He has been been awesom from 2008-2015 not many can boast this record

<B>Amla's peak phase:-</B>

1) 2010- 2014(5 years):- Averages 65 in tests

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...0;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

2) 2008-2014(7 years):- Averages 59 in tests

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...8;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

In 2015, he averages 22.82 in tests

Clearly, an average of 59 between 2008-2014 is excellent but dont think it is exceptional enough and hence cant really be considered as peak. Amla's real peak was between 2010-2014 when he was really phenomenal and performed against everyone and everywhere.

Amla u can tell the reflexes have gone. he was never the most intense performer and maybe he lacks the intensity and motivation to recover his form now. But he is still there to guide the new breed.

i think it is time for him to retire. If he continues, it will only be for selfish reasons.

Amla man, times on the horizon man. Just call it quits now. I know you wanna play till the world cup, but bro call it quits. You've had a quality career.

Amla is no longer the batsman he was, but SA's colored player alternatives are far weaker than his current form (Khaya, Ramela etc.). He will have to continue until SA can groom a talented colored batsman

Back