Hashim Amla | The Mega Discussion Thread

Poison

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
This guy has improved in leaps and bounds since we saw Sami and Asif own him in South Africa. He's an absolutely superb Test batsman, and his shot selection is superb. I particularly like his back foot punches through the off side, and his wristy shots through leg. Superb player, my favorite batsman at the moment. We need a smiley. :moyo

Last edited by a moderator:
Future South African captain, and what an ambassador.

Well said McBoom. He's a great ambassador for Islam. It helps that he's a champion player aswell. Beast. :moyo

RESPECT this man alot..no arrogance or attitude..seems to be quite a DOWN TO EARTH person

Lovely stroke maker the man is. Didn't see a lot of potential when he first came into International cricket but since then he's proved me wrong.

Needs to go on with it more. Got starts I think in every match against us, no hundreds and only a couple of fifties.

Classy player, probably their best.

Very similar to Mohammed Yousaf plays the ball on top of its bounce and uses the wirsts really well. To me he looked like their best test batsman and just 12 months ago many of us were wondering whether he was only in the team due to the racial quota.

Hashim Amla was fantastic in South Africa's domestic league. Started slowly in international cricket and some poor decisions did not help. I saw Amla being booed at Newlands by the some racist Protea fans when he played against England.

Amla said that his favourite batsmen were Azhruddin and Mohammed Yusuf. So he copied Azhruddin wristy style of batting and copied Mohammed Yusuf's beard.

I am a big Amla fan

Poison said:
This guy has improved in leaps and bounds since we saw Sami and Asif own him in South Africa. He's an absolutely superb Test batsman, and his shot selection is superb. I particularly like his back foot punches through the off side, and his wristy shots through leg. Superb player, my favorite batsman at the moment. We need a smiley. :moyo

He has improved, but not leaps and bounds. He was always touted as a future international when he was playing domestic cricket in SA. My South African colleague told me 5 yrs ago that watch out for a young, stylish batsmen who also happens to be a devout Muslim. Very happy for Amla, great character. Apart from being one of the most stylish batters around he has great composure can bat in most positions, an absolute delight to watch.

Last edited:
Apart from his cricket, he has broken so many stereotypes regarding appearance (the beard/Muslim part)

JazakALLAH to Hashim for showing us the way!

Romali_rotti said:
An honest answer needed for this question:

Would this thread have been made had Hashim been a non muslim ?

Yes ? I made a thread about Smithy aswell. Should always compliment good players whatever type of person they are out of the game. It helps that Amla is an absolute champ as a person as well ! :moyo But yeah, him being Muslim obviously helps, he's one of us :)

I dont know, but with me, I respect his obvious improvement as a batsman. He used to be very very loose outside off stump, now when he hits the ball, it stays hit. Those ferocious cuts through point are outstanding. :moyo

Classy individual, classy player. Has always had the respect of cricket fans in sa, from day 1 when he came onto the local scene. He had a bit of a problem outside off and with the short ball. He has not done anything major to his stance nor his stroke play. He has just adjusted to test cricket. He is the next sa captain, no doubts about that.

Lets open a Hashim Amla Fan Club. Count me In. I been waking up 3am to watch this bro play live. He aint been on top of the ODI game but even then his strokes and style are very impressive. Yeah and hes a practising Muslim bro I love him even more for that. Yeah and he reminds me of M Yousef.

Wazeeri said:
I don't know in which thread we don't use the "Kuranic" words like Inshallah.

Sachin Tendulkar Threads, Ishant Sharma threads to name a few :asif ..

I have a lot of respect for this guy:)! Like him:)!

Romali_rotti said:

Come on man. Even simon Katich has his own appreciation thread on PP.

It is really good to see his flair To be frank it is somewhat unbelievable regardless of his roots.
I know Azharuddin really knocked the stuff out of Lance Klusner in couple of Tests. Azhar was more powerful though even though he was exquisitely wristy. There were lot fan following for Azhar even in his very first tour during 1992 i think.

Last edited:
Top player!!

Love watching Amla bat. I have been a fan of his since he started playing Int'l Cricket and now he is beggining to show true class!!

Keep it up Hashim Amla!

Romali_rotti said:

I don´t know about others, but I can say for myself that I do appreciate spiritual people overall. Doesn´t matter whether cricketers or not, or of what religion they are. I like those people who are connected to God in a way or the other:).

Last edited:
My favourite batsman at the monent in International cricket. Just so elegant and classy to watch when in full flow.

He needs to improve on his temperment though...

He is one of the best SA stroke makers. Some of the shots he plays are incredible because of the way he plays them and times them. He is a much better player then when he first started. He keeps himself to himself and continues his merry way with the bat. He hasn't yet cemented a ODI place but he has a role to play in ODI's too. At the moment he tries to be too aggressive which is not a bad thing. He played well for the 80 not out.

Good player and hope he continues to play. I'm definitely a fan of Amla like many other good players who play shots with such ease.

Romali_rotti said:
Ok fair enuff, its just I am hearing Quranic words such as 'inshallah' etc so obviously relegion is bit of an attraction along with his 'batting'. Hence I was curious whether he would have gotten the same respect had he been an non muslim...

Get your facts straight, friend. InshaAllah is not a Quranic word. And surely religion has to play a part in it. How many times does one see the sight of a devout bearded Muslim breaking into 'white' team and becoming one of the mainstays of the team.

akpower said:
Get your facts straight, friend. InshaAllah is not a Quranic word. And surely religion has to play a part in it. How many times does one see the sight of a devout bearded Muslim breaking into 'white' team and becoming one of the mainstays of the team.
Very nice point brother. Examples could be Owais Shah, Sajid Mahmood and there are more too. These are not Hashim Amla type

akpower said:
Get your facts straight, friend. InshaAllah is not a Quranic word.

Last time I checked it was.

akpower said:

Even into a Pakistani team and being treated fairly... :moyo

akpower said:

Unless we have proof that a devout bearded Muslim with talent was not given chance by South African cricket baord we cannot say Amla's selection is a miracle. He is their mainstay because he is batting well. If he fails for 3 or 4 series he will duly be dropped.

Ridiculously talented. Excellent knock today. He just needs to get on with it, he gets 50s easily, 100's are rare, at least so far. :moyo

Romali_rotti said:

But the point is he's a wonderful ambassador for the islamic faith. With all the stereotypes and rubbish going on these days , there's a devout muslim pacafist who plays the game with dignity and humility. Just great so see such a divers group of guys (the S.A team) get on so fantastically well with one goal and agenda regrdless of race/belief

nice litte lesson for manking isn't it ?

Did you not notice De Villiers and Amla embracing after the last victory ?

AB is a Devout coservative Christian and Hashim a devout coservative Muslim. But more so they're South Africans and team mates. I think it's this type of site that brings much pride and best wished in seeing Hashim do well.

Amla got the man of the match for his knock of 97 today that won south africa the game. Shame he never got his century. He was so humble and quiet, speaking very lightly you could hardly hear him. Top Man Masha'Allah. Allah give him all the best.

I only slept three hours 2day, watched him bat live all the way. Was worth it.

saffer said:

AB is a Devout coservative Christian and Hashim a devout coservative Muslim. But more so they're South Africans and team mates. I think it's this type of site that brings much pride and best wished in seeing Hashim do well.

You are correct. AB is a very religious!!!

Congrats to the south african side!!! Who cares what faith you are? You are SOUTH AFRICAN.

Oh well he has Indian roots should i like him too :p. Kidding. He is quiet a good batsman. Attractive stroke player. I have been his admirer since he made his debut.

I love the way de Villiers plays. Any of you guys seen his innings against Aus during Wc2007? damn. Havnt seen much of Amla tho really.

Played well today:14::14:!!!

saffer said:

AB is a Devout coservative Christian and Hashim a devout coservative Muslim.
But more so they're South Africans and team mates. I think it's this type of site that brings much pride and best wished in seeing Hashim do well.

Sadly enough, I missed it:(........... But a heartening scene that must have been:).

Keith said:
You are correct. AB is a very religious!!!

Congrats to the south african side!!! Who cares what faith you are? You are SOUTH AFRICAN.

Same here. Unless we have direct evidence religion helped him get runs :p

He's not gonna be the next captain, I think it'll be AB de Villiers, but he's a great leader, leading by example. :moyo

Poison said:
He's not gonna be the next captain, I think it'll be AB de Villiers, but he's a great leader, leading by example. :moyo
Why not?
The current team manager for South Africa is a Muslim. I beleive one of their selectors is also a Muslim. On top of that, the ICC head is also a South African Muslim.
If he is the best man for the job then he should be (and considering he is captain of his state side and was South Africa's U19 captain he has the credentials).

IronMan2009 said:
Same here. Unless we have direct evidence religion helped him get runs :p
You religion is clearly important to you but just how much?

The importance of my religion has increased as I have got older. I couldn’t put a timeframe on it but I have found that following the Islamic way of life has a lot of beauty to it. Although I was born into a Muslim family I wasn’t always practicing. The more I have understood the differences in the various faiths I have adopted as much of Islam as possible. I’m certainly no saint but the discipline of the Islamic way of life has helped my cricket without a doubt. I don’t drink and I pray five times a day, which gives stability to my daily routine.

Source

I think that would answer your question

A great answer by Hashim:14::14:!!!

And from my personal experience, it really helps you a lot:).

genghis81 said:
Why not?
The current team manager for South Africa is a Muslim. I beleive one of their selectors is also a Muslim. On top of that, the ICC head is also a South African Muslim.
If he is the best man for the job then he should be (and considering he is captain of his state side and was South Africa's U19 captain he has the credentials).

He doesnt seem to have the characteristics presented by the former captain (Smithy). Its all small talk anyways, Amla is only a 2 years younger than Smith :p

Haroon Largot is South African, he is Muslim too.

Last edited:
Good knock by Amla, unfortunate to be only 3 runs shy of a Ton, but oh well.

saffer said:

I think above clearly demonstrates what SA fans really want to see. Their Rainbow nation uniting as one.

A lesson for all, even Pakistanis

He had another fantastic knock today a century in a 40 over game against sussex, yassir arafat caught and bowled him out.

I was wondering if hes in the UK, wheres he staying wanna go meet him, or go to a match of his and try and meet him there.

Hashim Amla's 181 on debut saves Essex

Hashim Amla saves Essex with a century on his debut

Chelmsford (final day of four): Essex (7pts) drew with Glamorgan (12) Pat Gibson
Essex have had some great overseas batsmen over the years, Ken McEwan, Allan Border and Mark Waugh among them, and Hashim Amla, the cricketer with the longest beard since WG Grace, looked as though he will maintain the tradition as he stroked a match-saving 181 on his county debut.

The home side still needed 182 to avoid an ignominious innings defeat when they began the final day on 133 for four, but Amla shared partnerships of 142 with James Foster and 153 with Ryan ten Doeschate to deny Glamorgan their first championship victory of the season.

Amla, the South Africa batsman playing his first first-class match since the third Test against Australia at Cape Town in March, had made only four in the first innings but showed the Essex faithful what a good player he is once he found his feet in the second.

The outcome might have been different if Gareth Rees had held a low catch at short leg off Robert Croft’s first ball of the day when Amla had made 78, but once that had gone down there was never much doubt that they were going to pay a heavy price. Amla had been batting for almost seven hours, faced 327 balls and hit 26 fours by the time Croft gained some belated compensation by having him leg-before as he swung across the line. Soon afterwards the teams shook hands on a draw with Essex 96 runs ahead with 15 overs left.

Related Links
Shantry makes up for lost time with Essex haul
Powell century shows what might have been
Gibbs cut short on his championship debut
Foster, England’s best wicketkeeper and Essex’s most consistent batsman this season, had made 64 when he was bowled by Jamie Dalrymple, while Ten Doeschate shrugged off several stinging blows to the fingers from the Glamorgan seam bowlers to make an unbeaten 68, his highest score of the summer.

Glamorgan: First Innings 515 for 9 dec (M J Powell 102, J A R Harris 76 not out, G P Rees 59, H H Gibbs 53, J W M Dalrymple 50)

Essex: First Innings 200 (A J Shantry 5 for 62)

Second Innings (overnight 133-4)
H M Amla lbw b Croft 181
J S Foster b Dalrymple 64
R N ten Doeschate not out 88
G R Napier not out 10
Extras (b 4, lb 6, nb 6) 16
Total (6 wkts, 127 overs) 410

Fall of wickets: 1-16, 2-17, 3-55, 4-84, 5-226, 6-379.

Bowling: Harris 23-8-58-1; Harrison 19-2-64-2; Shantry 17-6-56-0; Croft 41-4-106-2; Kruger 14-2-64-0; Dalrymple 13-0-52-1.

Umpires: J H Evans and D J Millns.

Amla becomes the 1st player to score a ton on both his 1st class & OD debuts in County cricket for Essex - perhaps all counties?

He was a different class yesterday.

Classy player, used to have trouble converting the 50s to 100s, consecutive hundreds against the apparent "no.1" side in the world. GO AMLA!

My favourite batsmen in the world right now ... what guts and determination. I mean before the start of todays play even with Prince, De Villiers and Duminy, everyone knew he would be the difference today. India knew too and they concentrated on the other batsmen. The pressure he must have had coming into todays play and then performing like he did ... simply top notch stuff!

He single-handedly batted longer than our whole team would on any given surface.

I believe time-wise he batted almost 23 hours in this series!

Hashim has undoubtedly earned Indian supporters to his list of fans. Count me in! To bat for 24 hours in a series and have an average upwards 450 is just phenomenal. His powers of concentration are just amazing!

What a champion player! I have said it in another thread and I am saying it again - We might be seeing the next potential #1 test bat in the world in Hashim Amla. Keep up the good work sir :14:

Last edited:
In fact to be precise in the two games he has ... 489 runs (facing 1030 balls). What mental strength and concentration!

Wow! Almost 500 runs in a two Test series - amazing. Normally, 500 runs in a 4 or 5 Test series is considered a very good haul for a top batsman.

shahzadddd said:
Jonathan Agnew once said when he first appeared in the team he was the product of the quota system

That idiot proven wrong for the umpteenth time.

ShehryarK said:
Wow! Almost 500 runs in a two Test series - amazing. Normally, 500 runs in a 4 or 5 Test series is considered a very good haul for a top batsman.
Hashim you beauty!!!!! :waqar

Great knock!! :14: :14:

Yes I agree with you. MoYo scored around 500 odd runs in three test series

It seems 2010 is Hashim's MoYo 2006

MashALLAH what a player he is!

Like him a lot, good to watch his stroke play and hope he continues to do well in the future - INSHALLAH, a good ambassador.

Also a very good/sharp fielder at short leg

I know he's captain of his club team, but seems a bit too quiet/reserved to be captain...maybe/hopefully I'm wrong about this though...i would like him to Captain SA.

Last edited:
PPers, at the rate that he is going, reckon he can break Moyos record for most runs in a year?

Cover Drive said:
Hashim you beauty!!!!! :waqar

Great knock!! :14: :14:

Yes I agree with you. MoYo scored around 500 odd runs in three test series

It seems 2010 is Hashim's MoYo 2006

MashALLAH what a player he is!
He is the pride of tongaat and SA, maybe i wanna drive to his township today and see if ppl have decorated the place in his honour lol............but i want him to break moyos record for most runs in a year! ppl will wonder "whats up with the bearded devouts?" lol.........................

Mashallah Amla...........you are a legend!!!!

cricket_fever said:
PPers, at the rate that he is going, reckon he can break Moyos record for most runs in a year?

Insha'Allah that would be great if he can do it depends how many more tests South Africa play this year.

Rarely watched him play until recently. Impressive.. and i hope h continues the his fine form!

khan-92 said:
Insha'Allah that would be great if he can do it depends how many more tests South Africa play this year.
ooops, isnt there gonna be a SA vs Pak series this yr....or am i mistaken?

Nothing but tears for you Amla. May the mercy of our Creator shower upon you.

Amla Fans Club

Since i have seen Hasim Amla playing cricket i really admired his style of playing Cricket.
He is playing very smooth and clam.
When is playing shots he makes it look them very easy.
I Think SA is blissed that they got such player.
I was just wondering how many you guys think he will be a legend and an idol for next generations of youngsters?
I wish he could play in T20's and also if he could bowled ;)

How many fans does he have in PP?

I reallt admire him and his worth ethic

Also, some people don't realize but he is very very gifted as well. He is right up there with the most talented batsmen going around. Some of the shots he manages to pull off are quite amazing.

Back