Hayden & Philander appointed as batting & bowling coaching consultants for T20 World Cup

Interesting choice. Hayden can help batsmen get into attacking mode for the T20s. I doubt what Philander can help the bowlers with (for T2os) as he was never a top T20 bowler. They could have gotten Herschelle Gibbs maybe. or Dale Steyn.

Shoaib Akhtar speaking on TV about Hayden:

“He never enjoyed my fame and I never enjoyed his personality. I always told him that I’m better looking than you [laughs]. The Test match started in Perth and he was out leg-before and I was fined ten percent for that send-off"

“He has a great mindset and he played in that era where we talk about that mindset. Ramiz bhai’s idea is that if he can inject about 30-40% of that mindset, it will be a lot better"

“He never enjoyed my fame and I never enjoyed his personality. I always told him that I’m better looking than you [laughs]. The Test match started in Perth and he was out leg-before and I was fined ten percent for that send-off"

“He has a great mindset and he played in that era where we talk about that mindset. Ramiz bhai’s idea is that if he can inject about 30-40% of that mindset, it will be a lot better"

Endorsement from Shoaib Akhtar should count against any coach and captain.

Akhtar has no knowledge of coaching, he should stop talking about things that he doesn't comprehend.

Contest b/w Hayden and Shoaib was the stuff of legends. Hayden had the upper hand early on but Shoaib when he became a smarter bowler got the better of him later on.

Interesting selections.

How's Philander the coach for T20 team? He didn't play many T20 games himself.

Are they going to join the team in UAE for T20 WC?

or they also come up with some excuses like : Covid bubble fatigue, can't understand Urdu, don't know where UAE is, etc.

After recent fiasco, I fee even these 2 gentlemen will have something to say for not joining

Lahore: Pakistan’s consultant coach Vernon Philander will reach Lahore in the first week of October, ARY News reported citing sources.

Former South African pacer will meet and work with the members of Green Shirts during the second leg of the National T20 Cup, scheduled at Gaddafi stadium from October 6 to 13.

Meanwhile, Matthew Hayden will join the squad in Dubai before the T20 World Cup. He is currently part of IPL as a commentator. Former Australian will complete his duties and join the bio-secure bubble of the T20 World Cup

It must be noted that Hayden and Philander have been appointed as consultant coaches for the mega event, starting from October 17. Pakistan will begin their campaign against arch-rivals India on October 24 in Dubai.

ARY

Last edited by a moderator:
According to reports, Vernon Philander has reached Pakistan and is currently fulfilling quarantine requirements.

Last edited:
That Misbah's friend Abdul Majeed guy is still fielding coach, someone please get a good foreign trainer and fielding coach.

Interestingly Vernon philander is 36 yrs of age and younger than Malik and Hafeez. But it also shows how renowned he is to be selected as a bowling coach of an international team

That Misbah's friend Abdul Majeed guy is still fielding coach, someone please get a good foreign trainer and fielding coach.
The only time in my cricket watching history of pakistan team were they actually shown immense improvement in fielding is under Steve rixon.

Video courtesy of the PCB

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/lb1sfc" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Does idiot
What a stupid arrogant, person Raja is. Afghanistan board much better vision by appointing Andy Flower as a consultant. And Ramiz Raja goes after first available "faaariner"

Last edited by a moderator:
Does idiot Raja know how much T20 experience, or lack of T20 experience, Philander?

What a stupid arrogant, person Raja is. Afghanistan board much better vision by appointing Andy Flower as a consultant. And Ramiz Raja goes after first available "faaariner"

Andy Flower refused the PCBs offer

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Age is just a number:<br><br>Mohammad Hafeez - Born 17 October 1980<br><br>Shoaib Malik - Born 1 February 1982<br><br>Pakistan Bowling Coach Vernon Philander - Born 24 June 1985<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1447469389272522752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 11, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I find this very unsettling that new coaches that to foreign ones will lead our team directly in the world cup. They don't know our players, haven't gotten the chance to engage, haven't gotten a chance to make an XI, don't have time to experiment. By time they'll understand the team and the combination the world cup will be over already.

More importantly how much control will they have over the team?

Hayden should be sacked. He didn’t join the team in Pakistan and never will in his lifetime

Under the watchful supervision...

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/am5ogp" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Under the watchful supervision...

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/am5ogp" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>
Philander was very accurate with line length. Hopefully our bowlers especially Haris Rauf learn from him

I find this very unsettling that new coaches that to foreign ones will lead our team directly in the world cup. They don't know our players, haven't gotten the chance to engage, haven't gotten a chance to make an XI, don't have time to experiment. By time they'll understand the team and the combination the world cup will be over already.

More importantly how much control will they have over the team?

I don't think Babar can complain that he hasn't be given his team and I think he will have control of the selection

I don't think Babar can complain that he hasn't be given his team and I think he will have control of the selection

Babar is not a captain material. You can give him Warne, Mcgrath, Donald, Kohli, Gayle, Roy, Gilchrist he will still do meek surrender. Should play as a batsman only,.

Babar is not a captain material. You can give him Warne, Mcgrath, Donald, Kohli, Gayle, Roy, Gilchrist he will still do meek surrender. Should play as a batsman only,.

He stil new in his role he needs more time before we judge him.

A hairless Matthew Hayden has joined the Pakistan squad in Dubai

7e6129d5-d30e-49bc-a9d2-04867cb45a95.jpg

Paid holiday for the big man in Dubai.

He will oversee a few batting a collapses and will be off to Australia with a big paycheck and won’t look back twice.

At least Philander bothered to join the squad in Pakistan and travelled with them to Dubai.

Hayden in Pak uniform looks very funny to me considering the bashings he gave to Pak attacks of his time

He will oversee a few batting a collapses and will be off to Australia with a big paycheck and won’t look back twice.

At least Philander bothered to join the squad in Pakistan and travelled with them to Dubai.

So what is your suggestion? Closed down PCB because we are very poor team. Only Big 3 and NZ (Start with super 4, then semi and final) can play cricket. Other teams just quit or shouldn't be selected in World Cup.

Tbf, there is nothing he can do for the batters at this stage. The only benefit of hiring consultants is that they may help give some long term advice or they may just be their as cheer leaders.

Even during the video shared by PCB, he looked the least concerned in the video. Why couldn't Muhammad Yousuf be hired for this World Cup, at least he has worked with the current cricketers?

Only big value I could see is given he was doing commentary in ipl perhaps he can identify the weaknesses and help philander and bowlers setup plans for each of the top batsmen and also how to go after the bowlers in these conditions.
Hopefully he may also quickly see that we can't persist with middle order of hafeez Malik and asif and bring in Haider and possibly even sarfraz from current squad to replace 2 of them.

Should Pakistan continue with Vernon Philander and Matthew Hayden after the ICC T20 World Cup?

cover_1636142997cover.jpg

Should Pakistan continue with Vernon Philander and Matthew Hayden after the ICC T20 World Cup?

View attachment 112921

Would they be able to handle the pressure and criticism when things go south? Being a Pakistani coach is like being the manager of a European football club, there are high demands and little patience, the fans and board want instant results.

View attachment 112921

Everything's rainbow and sunshine when the team is winning and performing well. They will be under the pump should they and PCB somehow decide to make this a long term thing. Specially if Pakistan win the World Cup expectations from them with the team will be very high.

I believe Hayden has already declined long term role due to other commitments. Not sure of Philander. Heard that PCB will be posting both roles soon. My guess is they will continue with interim staff for Bangladesh tour as it won't really matter for that tour anyway and after that we may see a new long term setup unless they have confirmed some arrangements behind the scenes already.

I would keep philander he would definitely improve some of the bowlers in the longer format.Hayden just for t20s and odis on a short term contract.

Best decision PCB ever made!!!

The professionalism shown by this team, I have not seen that by a Pakistani team before. Also credit to Babar but these lads as well. Hayden and Philander should be asked to continue

No Hayden for the tour of Bangladesh and Philander is there for 3 T20Is and 1st Test.

No Hayden for the tour of Bangladesh and Philander is there for 3 T20Is and 1st Test.

Fair enough it was last moment like appointment & more importantly for t20 World cup im sure they will be re appointed for t20 world cup in Australia.

Till now we can only judge their performance with the team's performance and it's been pretty good.
Both were pretty much stop gap options. Philander was even going to turn out for SA domestic side. Hayden seems like more carefree with his approach and not much sweating it either.

One thing I can hypothesize is that Hasan's might not be happy or understanding Philander's coaching. He was one of the few who were vocal about Waqar's departure and he had said how much he was enjoying and learning from Waqar. Plus Hasan is also a "Sayeen" sort of individual who won't try to put his thought into something he wouldn't like.

Whatever happens, I just hope Saqlain remains associated with the senior team either as the head, assisstant, or spin coach. There are only two spin coaches in Pakistan with international credibility and they are Mushtaq and Saqlain. Mushtaq has been tried several times in the past and is a known commodity but it should be a first lengthy tenure for Saqlain.

[VIDEO] What impact did Matthew Hayden & Vernon Philander have on Pakistan's T20 World Cup campaign?

Their review of Pakistan's T20 World Cup campaign.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/1mqwj1" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Some quotes:

Vernon Philander

"Haris (Rauf) is the one for me that stands out. Shaheen is of course a world-class performer. But, in terms of maturity, Haris is the one that stands out for me"

"I could really sense a lot of hurt last night in the change room and you know you only hurt if you give your 100 per cent"

"Stick behind this team and hopefully they can go and win the trophies and tournaments in the recent future"

Matthew Hayden

"Our batters were just brilliant in this tournament. In particular, inside the powerplay, Rizzi (Rizwan) and Babar, those two set the platform every game. Powerplay tends to be where you dominate T20 cricket. The balance of power at the death is very key, in particular, I think that 17th over from the batting sense, we're pretty good there. Someone like Asif (Ali) coming and smashing"

"They have got some unexplored talent as well. Looking at Khusi (Khushdil Shah) and Haider (Ali), these guys have got serious talent and power"

"The scenes in the dressing room, it didn't shock me when you do play with your heart, just how a heart gets broken and you go into a match with the expectations and it doesn't come off for a number of different reasons"

"Your heart's broken that's what really you saw last night in the dressing room, scenes of complete devastation"

"As fans, guys you've got to stick with this generation of Pakistani cricketers because they bleed for you guys and they really want to make sure that you are proud and I am hoping that's what you are"

Last edited:
Very difficult to judge what exact impact these 2 consultants had on Pakistan players but clearly something did go right with the side that they seemed to perform at an optimal level for most of that campaign.

Very difficult to judge what exact impact these 2 consultants had on Pakistan players but clearly something did go right with the side that they seemed to perform at an optimal level for most of that campaign.

Don't know if it was just because of their media appearances and the glamorizing. But for just a small tenure, these 2 seemed pretty invested in the team and the campaign. Haydos in particular. So it's pretty unfortunate to see him go. It was a bit of fresh air too and to have a big legend like Haydos training them must have definitely put an air of confidence around the players. I think it was generally a good atmosphere in the camp too unlike campaigns of the past. Credit to Saqlain as well for banding everyone together even after the loss.

Every foreign coach gets enamored with Pakistan team - bar none. Going back 2 decades.

Woolmer, Lawson, Pybus, Arthur, foreign bowling/batting/fielding coaches, you name it, they all developed respect for Pakistan and its humble players.

Except in the past, these coaches weren't savvy enough to see what went on behind the scenes.

From the looks of it, this team is above all that muck thankfully. Long may it continue.

I hope Hayden worked with Khushdil in the nets. That guy needs a lot of coaching to have any future at the international level.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imad Wasim "Matthew Hayden is a superstar. Apart from his knowledge of the game, he is a great human being. It was just fantastic to have him around at the T20 World Cup. He spoke with such sense when he talked about cricket, and we all learnt a lot from him" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1469357738547466240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 10, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ramiz Raja in today's presser

"Our team has been performing well since last September. Some big events are lined up and we have some plans for it"

"We will look at options for the betterment of our team in the mega event. We will try and bring Matthew Hayden once again to work with Pakistan team during World Cup in Australia"

Ramiz Raja in today's presser

"Our team has been performing well since last September. Some big events are lined up and we have some plans for it"

"We will look at options for the betterment of our team in the mega event. We will try and bring Matthew Hayden once again to work with Pakistan team during World Cup in Australia"

Hayden had a good rapport with the players so not that bad an idea, especially given that the T20 WC is in Australia.

Hayden had a good rapport with the players so not that bad an idea, especially given that the T20 WC is in Australia.

One of the PSL team's should try to get Matthew Hayden as the head coach/consultant, especially after his stint with Pakistan cricket at the world cup and he has also commentated in one PSL, he will be a bit familiar with the league.

Quetta Gladiators need a new head coach they should try to get him even Karachi kings with Wasim Akram as an incharge should try to get his services.

Matthew working with new and upcoming Pakistani batsmen can be a very good idea.

Why wasn't Hayden persisted with?.

Previously Philander had great success but this musical chairs of international appointments is ridiculous.

Bottom line has to simply be the systemic corruption strangling the nation at every level

Back