Heartwood and its impact on the cricket bat

thivakar

Tape Ball Star
Runs
I hope I at least gets the answer to this one. Does heartwood impact the way how a cricket bat performs ?

No not really.

Some say its better to have it on the outside edge of the bat as its slightly harder.

It is stiffer than sapwood and bats with heartwood tend to last longer

I thought the red wood means it wont last as long as its a bit mire brittle! Anyway answering the question there is no major difference in performance if u have a small strip of it on any edge. I generally prefer bats with no heartwood but if it does, has to be a perfect strip on outside edge as maybe in theory it helps edged balls fly but mainly it looks nice if its a perfect strip lol

it is more brittle (wood is from centre of tree and hence older).

i've bought a bat with a little hardwood on the outside edge. i heard sometimes its preferable as its harder but its a little weaker so the bats lifetime may be lower. its all down to the piece of wood you have in your hands!

really? i think its better on the edges as it protects you a little from the balls going to the slips as its harder

Sorry, i was trying to be funny lol. Yes often people like it on outside edge as it helps ball fly faster, aparantly

Sorry, i was trying to be funny lol. Yes often people like it on outside edge as it helps ball fly faster, aparantly

yeah. i tend to get a lot of edges when the ball is coming outside my off stump as i struggle to judge the line and length. anything coming straight to my leg side is okay for me. im a LH. any tips?

Close ur eyes and swing lol
Seriously i used to have that problem a lot, fixed it by playing a bit more square on, so my bag leg comes across the stumps a bit more so the face the bat is more facing the bowler as oppose to covers. Worked for me. Miss out on a few square drives this way but a lot less edges and chances given. Defensive shots are also more solid now

If I tell you that heartwood has no effect on performance then perhaps you may not take my word without supporting evidence.

So imagine this, if heartwood had ANY effect on performance then every single int'l player would have had heartwood in his bat, but more importantly, if you ask a bat maker to make you the entire bat with heartwood, do you know what grade of willow that will fall in? Yes G3.

Personally I feel that a small strip of heartwood sometimes provides an aesthetically pleasing effect to a lush G 1 willow bat that has ruler straight grains, and nothing else.

Close ur eyes and swing lol
Seriously i used to have that problem a lot, fixed it by playing a bit more square on, so my bag leg comes across the stumps a bit more so the face the bat is more facing the bowler as oppose to covers. Worked for me. Miss out on a few square drives this way but a lot less edges and chances given. Defensive shots are also more solid now

thanks for that. but i do just swing and hope for the best and get alot of edges lol. any way i can improve my cover drive by judging line and length and getting the bat to the correct position like virat kohli or ravi bopara are really good at doing?

Back