Help needed from Canadian PPers

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
I am going to be in Toronto from October 27th to November 8th, 2011. First of i want to ask how many rail, transit systems are there in Toronto and how well do they facilitate commuting from one part of town to the other? When i was in Washington DC, i was pretty impressed with the Metro.

I have to visit 20-30 universities in Toronto during this time period, if i can visit even 10 i would do well. Bottomline this is the reason i ask this question. I heard about go transit, its scary researching on google maps where it says getting from one university to another even if one uses the domestic transit system will take between 2 hrs, in some cases 4 hrs and in some cases even 6 hrs.

Public transit is not that great in TO, they are working on building a few new subway lines but that won't come handy to you. At the moment there are two main subway lines which run through the city. I dont use public transit that often to plan the route for you but my advise give yourself extra an hour or so and plan ahead.

Couple of useful links

http://www3.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp

http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/General_Information/Maps/System.jsp

http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/General_Information/Maps/index.jsp

The subway/metro doesn't really go to all of the universities in fact it goes to few only. So the only option is GO Transit and that takes hell of a time!

The thing is that since you have to visit so many Universities so not all are in Toronto except few like UofT, York, Ryerson etc like of Waterloo, Laurier etc are in Waterloo.

So what you might want to do is to visit Laurier, Waterloo etc when you will be in Waterloo and save your time of coming back again.

Do we even have 20-30 universities in Ontario lol?

Visit the big ones:

UfT (Mississauga and St. George Campuses)
Ryerson
York
Waterloo
Laurier
McMaster

I can't think of any other major universities in the area at the moment, the last three are all in separate cities barring Waterloo and Laurier, they're both about 5 minutes away from each other. Getting to York, Ryerson, and UfT is pretty easy. Go transit will get you there in no time.

If you had come here a week ago there was this convention (i think it was in Toronto convention centre) where all the Unis came.
Anyways, you should just visit the big ones as mentioned above and If your going to visit Waterloo or any Unis in that area you could take the GO station.

Do we even have 20-30 universities in Ontario lol?

Visit the big ones:

UfT (Mississauga and St. George Campuses)
Ryerson
York
Waterloo
Laurier
McMaster

I can't think of any other major universities in the area at the moment, the last three are all in separate cities barring Waterloo and Laurier, they're both about 5 minutes away from each other. Getting to York, Ryerson, and UfT is pretty easy. Go transit will get you there in no time.

I won't say go to both campuses, one is fine, St. George.

OP if you want to visit more then like of Guelph, Brock, Queens etc would be also in your plans.

I can't think of anymore universities apart from ones mentioned in this thread so far.

Last edited:
As someone mentioned above public transit in Toronto is not that great. There are two systems one it Subway, it is withing Toronto city. And the second one is Go-Transit which is from one city to another.

Within Toronto there is University of Toronto (UofT), Ryerson and York. Within greater Toronto area (GTA) you have McMaster, Brock, WaterLoo, Laurier, Queens. There are few colleges though like Sceneca, George Brown and many others.

All these universities and colleges have websites with tons of information, I am not sure why you want to visit them. You can do pretty much everything from net and phone. At least do your research on the web before you come here.

If you still plan to visit them then the best way to do it is by renting a car for a few days. Subway and Go-Transit are also costly, it might cost you about 40-50 $ to go to Waterloo university and back to Toronto for example.

Where are you staying by the way?

As someone mentioned above public transit in Toronto is not that great. There are two systems one it Subway, it is withing Toronto city. And the second one is Go-Transit which is from one city to another.

Within Toronto there is University of Toronto (UofT), Ryerson and York. Within greater Toronto area (GTA) you have McMaster, Brock, WaterLoo, Laurier, Queens. There are few colleges though like Sceneca, George Brown and many others.

All these universities and colleges have websites with tons of information, I am not sure why you want to visit them. You can do pretty much everything from net and phone. At least do your research on the web before you come here.

If you still plan to visit them then the best way to do it is by renting a car for a few days. Subway and Go-Transit are also costly, it might cost you about 40-50 $ to go to Waterloo university and back to Toronto for example.

Where are you staying by the way?

McMaster, Waterloo, Laurier don't come in the GTA. :) (just sayin)

And I'm not sure that he can rent a car, doesn't he need a licence? If he can then well be aware of the traffic on the 401 :facepalm:

Last edited:
I won't say go to both campuses, one is fine, St. George.

OP if you want to visit more then like of Guelph, Brock, Queens etc would be also in your plans.

I can't think of anymore universities apart from ones mentioned in this thread so far.

lol dammit, I forgot those + Western. How stupid of me.

All those are definitely worth the visit. Maybe not Brock given it's distance and it's age. There's also UOIT too, if he wants.

There aren't 20-30 Unis in Toronto, more like 4-5. Savak, what program are you going for? Narrow down your search based on that. In terms of commuting, if you are looking for Unis in Toronto, it is not hard to get from one place to another, but the time to get to your destination using the transit system is pretty standard. Use the 'plan your trip' tool on the TTC website (http://www3.ttc.ca/Trip_planner/).

lol dammit, I forgot those + Western. How stupid of me.

All those are definitely worth the visit. Maybe not Brock given it's distance and it's age. There's also UOIT too, if he wants.

UOIT is not as good as even Brock I think but thats probably due to the fact UOIT is quite new.

LOL Western, how can we forget that man?! LOL even I forgot Western :facepalm:

Patience guys, will explain my situation in a bit. Almost done with my data collection on excel, am on skype with my dad hence been unable to post in detail yet. Give me 1 hr max.

There are only four unis in and around GTA. Three if you exclude Ontario University of Arts and Drama. Because I'm pretty sure you won't be going into arts field. :)

why would u go visit the unis???

I picked mine without visiting ANY university and I LIVE in Toronto

Ok guys this is the deal. My mother had applied for Canadian immigration via the skilled worker program in Aug 2009 and sponsored me and my sister. She primarily did it for me because she ideally wants me to have dual nationality and an option to get out of Pakistan in case things continue to get worse over here. Plus i had higher education ambitions too along with a desire to work outside Pakistan for a few years so this plan looks perfect for the time being.

I have chosen to pursue the chartered Accountancy qualification in Canada. Why? Because the CA is a prestigious qualifcation and in almost all the big firms in almost all the senior management people i see people with the CA qualifications. Besides almost all the CA's and people so deep in the accounting field i have had the opportunity to interact with, its just incredible to see their deep knowledge about almost all the important sectors of the economy.

Anyways i started my research in June 2010, and came in contact with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ontario (ICAO). I sent them a few emails, explaining to them my background, education i.e. having completed my 4 year BBA and another 2 year MBA from IBA in Karachi and they explained to me the path i would need to undertake to pursue this journey.

The first requirement to get into the CA program is to meet the minimum 51 credit hour requirement. If i have flawlessly covered this then i can directly register as a CA student with the ICAO, apply for articleships with auditing firms and work with them for 3 years during which i am expected to work while taking 3 big exams.

First obvious step was for me to submit my BBA, MBA transcripts, detailed course outlines of all the accounting and related courses i took at IBA to see how much credit i can get with regards to meeting the min 51 credit hour courses. I have already done that now, it took a lot of effort to gather this stuff from IBA and on Jan 2011 i finally gathered everything and submitted it. The lady informed me via email that the assesment takes atleast 6 months, its been almost 8 months now and i still havent heard from the ICAO. But they did tell me regardless of the evaluation i had to take the following 4 courses (Advanced Accounting Elective, Corporate taxation, Personal taxation, business law) at a University in Ontario from a list of universities recognized and listed on their website which include the following

1) Algoma University
2) Brock University
3) Carleton University
4) Conestoga College Institute of Technology
5) George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology
6) Humber College Institute of Technology
7) Lakehead University
8) Laurentian University
9) McMaster University
10) Nipissing University
11) Queen's University
12) Redeemer University College
13) Ryerson University
14) Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
15) The University of Western Ontario
16) Trent University
17) University of Guelph
18) University of Guelph Humber
19) University of Ontario Institute of Technology
20) University of Ottawa
21) University of Toronto - Mississauga Accredited
22) University of Toronto - Mississauga - Other Programs
23) University of Toronto - RSM - Accredited
24) University of Toronto - Rotman School of Management - Other Programs
25) University of Toronto - Scarborough
26) University of Waterloo
27) University of Windsor
28) Wilfrid Laurier University
29) York University

Now considering i only at best will need to take 4-6 courses from a university, i have no desire to enter into a full time degree program just for the sake of taking 4-6 courses because of the high expense and time wastage involved. The ICAO representative clearly intimated to me that i can take these courses on an individual, part time, continuing education basis without having the need to register as a full time student at these universities. When i contacted these universities some of them confirmed to me that they do allow students to take courses on a part time basis, continuing education basis but this was only allowed to Canadian Citizens/Residents. Given that my immigration is still in process, i will definitely take this route and only pay, study the courses i need too.

We finally got our medical calls from the Canadian authorities in July 2011 and given the experiences of other successful immigrants, they tell us that is basically a sign that the immigration is accepted and everything else is basically a formality after that. On average people receive their residency visa's after 8-9 months from the date of their medical calls. And we are expecting to receive our residency visa's in Feb 2012.

Another good news is that i have received a part time job offer of one year at a construction firm in Toronto where i will be working in a junior position in their accounting department which will both allow me to earn, get used to the Canadian financial/accounting/auditing systems and ofcourse allow me to complete these part time courses on the side as well.

Anyways i have emailed to these universities about my case, what i need from them, what i am looking for. Out of these 29 universities, 11 have rejected me over the email inspite of the fact they are mentioned on the ICAO website. Some have just not bothered to respond to my queries at all and have instead just sent me automatic irrelevent responses. Some have given me the go ahead with wierd conditions that i was welcome to enter into a distance learning program with them online but if i desire to study in a classroom environment then i will have to register as a full time student. But in any case i am only elligible to apply to them officially once i have my residency visa and am in Canada.

Currently i have taken leave from the bank i am working in for 8-10 days, coming to Toronto in this time period to spend time with my father and ofcourse to do as much as possible during that time period to further help myself and the case. Given that i successfully managed to get a part time job beyond my expectations i need to make sure that the university i take the courses i need to take is in close proximity to that place.

I will only be in Toronto so it will have to be University of Toronto, York University, University of Guelph, University of Guelph Humber, George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology, Humber College Institute of Technology etc. Surprisingly i have received a negative response from the likes of Mcmaster, University of Toronto, getting a negative response from Waterloo wasnt a surprise. Getting into Wilfred Laurier and Windsor doesnt look to be a big problem but they are too far away hence i wont be looking into them.

One thing though i would like to have cleared with the ICAO is whether they will allow me to take courses from universities that are not included in their list on their website. If they give me a positive response then i can expand my search to other universities closer to my residence, employer etc. Btw i will be staying in the neighborhood of Ajax for the 10 days i will be in Toronto.

Also have to visit the ICAO to find out whats the status of my evaluation and to seek their advice in person on my current predicament.

What i have been advised to do is to plan the list of places i will visit on Oct 28, 29, 30, November 1, November 2, November 3, November 4, November 5, November 6, November 7. I will be using the Go transit system and will be walking primarily.

Will be greatful for everyone's suggestions, feedback, advice, suggestions, insights etc

sounds like a good plan, do make sure that ICAO does help you in getting into the Big 4 accounting firms. otherwise you are better off to check ACCA's recognition too in Toronto.

I know for sure that Ernst & Young do hire ACCA qualifieds as well as PwC. The only firm which doesnt is Deloittes in Toronto.

Additionally ACCA would not require you to do any evaluation courses for 6 months or so, you could get straight onto the program I believe, so that would save your time. Also there are a few universities that offer this as a course.

I would also suggest to see what partnership does ICAO have with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales (ICAEW) because we are considered the gods of accounting worlds. If they recognise ICAO and handover memberships to ICAO qualifieds straight away, dont even think of anything else and try your best to pass your ICAO exams.

Good luck

by the way dont worry about canadian accounting standards, all will be replaced by International financial reporting standards in the next 3 years or so.

I would advise you to stay within GTA ... if you go outside, when you don't have your own car, commuting can be hectic . Your first options should be Ryerson, UofT and York. UOIT isn't bad either, it's outside GTA but GO Bus goes directly to it.

I am a graduate of Laurier and I think you should strongly consider them. They are down the street from Waterloo, so if you didn't rule them out, not sure why you would rule out Laurier. Laurier is a reputed "accounting" school which has a good rep and strong links to the big four (our student accounting association does). We have produced the most gold stars (#1 writer in UFE) over the past decade.

Also because of Laurier's location and size, it is much cheaper than Toronto. I would definitely look into Laurier because I know they don't mind people who take courses on a part time business.

Other schools are good too but I would not rule out Laurier.

UOFIT is new and does not have a rep. Savak, try to aim for Laurier, UofT, or York. Reason I say this is because these are schools with strong accounting organizations and the best way to get a job is by networking. These schools, along with Waterloo will give you the strongest network to the big four.

Savak, you should look at schools that give you strong network. This will give you the best possible chance to get a job. In this industry, regardless if you are in Pakistan, Canada or UK...its about who you know. Very rarely do I see someone apply to a posting and get a job. Generally they have been referred or know someone within a firm.

Last edited:
So guys how long does it take to go to York, Ryerson, UT on Gotransit. I have downloaded a few maps but will get a realistic idea once i land and start using the system. In these 10 days i am going to get a glimpse of what my life will be like for the next 4-5 years.

And i heard its very very chilly in Toronto these days, stacking my luggage with sweaters, gloves, hats etc

So guys how long does it take to go to York, Ryerson, UT on Gotransit. I have downloaded a few maps but will get a realistic idea once i land and start using the system. In these 10 days i am going to get a glimpse of what my life will be like for the next 4-5 years.

disclaimer: I don't ride subway often but if I say anything wrong, someone correct me.

Ok, so lets say you start from union station, which is at York and Front St in downtown Toronto (is the main subway station of the City as it also is a host to the Go Trains).

Ryerson is in the financial distract. So it really is a 20 min walk from union OR a 5 min subway (Dundas or Carlton station).

UofT is a 10 min subway ride (St.George subway station I think).

For York, you need to take the Go Bus. Which i think there is one called York University. Someone provide more info please.

Laurier/Waterloo - you need to take Greyhound as I don't think Go goes from Toronto to Waterloo (but does go from Missisauga to Waterloo). Greyhound station is about 15 min walk from Union at Bay and Dundas.

Guelph - may have a Go Bus on weekdays but you may have to take Greyhound for weekends.

And i heard its very very chilly in Toronto these days, stacking my luggage with sweaters, gloves, hats etc

Its getting a little cold now. Downtown Toronto is a little colder because of all the buildings creating wind tunnels. If you have a good coat, you will be warm.

Landed safely in Toronto guys from DXB, 15 hour flight, killing the jet lag for now, will hit the go station and also use the subways tommorow.

Landed safely in Toronto guys from DXB, 15 hour flight, killing the jet lag for now, will hit the go station and also use the subways tommorow.
Welcome to Canada :waqar

Whereabouts in Toronto?

Enjoy your days in this lovely country.

You can check Ryerson and UofT because they're right beside the subway. You need to be on the yellow subway line and get off at Dundas for Ryerson and College for UofT. To get to York you need to take a bus from Downsview or Finch station (also on yellow line).

Keep this map on you (they're plastered all over subways too):

http://yellowcardesign.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/toronto_subway_map.gif

Instead of checking out 20-30 unis check the big main ones like UofT, Ryerson, Waterloo/Laurier, and Mcmaster and decide between those.

Last edited:
Ajax, yikes Savak that is far.

Anyways, if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. I can pass you my cell info if needed.

Went from Go Train Station at Ajax to Union Station Go Train station. Went to the ICAO office at Bloor Street yesterday reached here at 10:30 , then decided to go to York University. From there i got off to board the Subway and from there i went to Finch Station. From Finch i took the bus to York University.

Made a lot of mistakes during the way, used google maps on my blackberry and it said York was 14 minutes away from Finch. Little did i realize it said that assuming i had my own car. I idiotically started walking on foot. It was so cold that my nose start dripping profusely, i was wearing gloves but i found it tough to use the phone while wearing gloves. So after loitering around for 45 minutes, i finally saw a police officer who i just asked how to get to York Uni. He told me to go back to Finch Station, go on the 60 C bus which goes straight to York.

Finally got to York after multiple stops. But then i got lost inside York. The campus was so huge, was lost for 1 hr 30 min, trying to find the Bennet Student Centre. Finally found it, got answers to questions i could have gotten if i had just called them up on the phone. Then i got back on the subway TTC bus to Finch Station, from there i went to Union on the subway. Rush hour is absolutely crazy, an old lady gave a verbal lashing to a young lady who didnt bother to vacate her seat for her.

Then i got on the Gotrain station from Union after finally seeing on the screen which one would be going back to Ajax. Got back by 6.

Didnt realize that just going to one university would be taxing but the good thing is that the experience on the go train, subway proved to be handy. With more understanding of the station maps, subway maps, bus routes etc, commuting from one place to the other will not be an issue.

But instead of going to these universities, i am not just calling them on the phone for any inquiries and checking out their websites. Its much more convenient that way. As my uncle told me, people are too busy over here for visits, you cant visit someone just like that without an appointment. Always advisable to contact via phone, email first before you drop in for a visit.

Finally got my ICAO evaluation. Out of 17 courses, they have given me exemptions for 6 only. Have to do 11 courses at universities like York and Ryerson etc. I am greatful they gave me 6 exemptions, i have heard of so many cases in Canada where people who studied all their life outside Canada had to do everything all over again when they got permanently settled.

This is an opportunity for me to settle into Canada i guess before i embark on the tough CA journey.

Toronto's rush hour is absolutely nothing in front of European citites like London and Paris.

Use TTC trip planner so you won't get lost next time.

Come to PEI the most boring But Peaceful Province of Canada and i think You Can Do CA from here as well....

If you have to choose between Ryerson and York I would recommend Ryerson. York's reputation is decreasing a lot because of strikes and crime in the area. I heard Ryerson is getting better every year... But this is simply personal opinion and what I've heard from others.

If you can get some sort of Co-op or internship that would be ideal.

Last edited:
If you have to choose between Ryerson and York I would recommend Ryerson. York's reputation is decreasing a lot because of strikes and crime in the area. I heard Ryerson is getting better every year... But this is simply personal opinion and what I've heard from others.

If you can get some sort of Co-op or internship that would be ideal.

Sorry bud, that is wrong. The big "accounting" schools in this province are Waterloo, Laurier, UofT (St. George) and York. I am not saying Ryerson is bad, one of my good friends went to Ryerson and was on the honour roll. It really boils down the individual but York still has a better rep than Ryerson.

I think you will enjoy either university. Both universities have a lot of Pakistanis, maybe York more so but you will easily find people of your own kind at both universities (this comment directed at Savak). Savak, UofT and Ryerson won't be a hassle as they are on the subway line BUT UofT is huge. Its not really a campus, just a bunch of buildings on various streets.

Do people really care about the reputation of schools? Unless you're in Schulic, all other business programs are about the same across Ontario. Living in Ajax, I wouldn't waste my time travelling for 2 hours getting to York or uoft or more western side of GTA. Almost everyone from Durham region (Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Whitby) travels to UOIT or Durham College. But I don't think it's a good place if you like socializing, for that I would go to York.

Last edited:
ok Savak like it or not, this is the first time I'm reading this thread and I dont have time to spend and write stories here. I will just talk business.

Stay within GTA. Save your commuting (via subway) and enjoy a bit of life. You will get all the Halal options, calling cards to Pakistan, one bedroom sharing with a desi, lota and other smaller things in life which you will cheer about later.

Go to only one of the three schools - University of Toronto (any campus), Ryerson, York. UoT is better than both. University of Waterloo, McMaster and Guelph are long shot for a guy like you. They're great schools but certainly not the ones you should choose in your situation. Only choose them if you can study well isolated from social life.

Last thing, Concentrate on your studies. Dont want you to start looking for a gf from day 1 and add 10 pages of stories in the Dillema thread. If you study from anywhere within Toronto and do the basics right, you are guaranteed success otherwise taxi awaits.

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised that this is coming from someone who goes to UOIT?

I know enough people who graduated from "reputable" universities, and according to them, it doesn't matter which university you go to, you are on the same boat as people from 25 other universities graduating at the same time.

You can say what you want, but we all know UOIT is a lowly school. I would go into details, but I would come across as a proud UofT brat (which I am) who puts down other schools like York, Ryerson, etc. And yeah, I am totally that UofT kid who makes fun of other schools and the intelligence of their student population. We are a stuck-up bunch here at UofT, and making fun of York in particular is our hobby, that's the truth. If someone says so otherwise, they are lying or pretending to be nice kkmix.

Savak, choose a good school. If going for UofT, choose the downtown campus (I found it to be the best when I took some courses there)

I bet you don't go to their bathrooms after 9 o clock.

Went to this building (where timmies is) at around 9 o clock at night... There was no one around, could hear myself walking ... went to the bathroom ... heard some people talking outside the bathroom ... went out, there was no one around. I ran back home.

Last edited:
You can say what you want, but we all know UOIT is a lowly school. I would go into details, but I would come across as a proud UofT brat (which I am) who puts down other schools like York, Ryerson, etc. And yeah, I am totally that UofT kid who makes fun of other schools and the intelligence of their student population. We are a stuck-up bunch here at UofT, and making fun of York in particular is our hobby, that's the truth. If someone says so otherwise, they are lying or pretending to be nice kkmix.

Savak, choose a good school. If going for UofT, choose the downtown campus (I found it to be the best when I took some courses there)

Voilet May is dead right here. I would always choose a good school regardless of situation and as I said earlier UoT is way better than any other. Its downtown campus (St George) is the best. I studied from there and found it to be better than many schools. Plus in overall world rankings UoT finishes as the top canadian school. It competes with McGill usually.

Last edited:
If you do decide on UofT, go to UTSC and not UTSG as it is extremely competitive and you'll be working your butt off and even then you can only hope to get your desired marks.

Wth? Which timmies did you go to...the one in Bladen Wing? I am surprised no one was around. Usually, nerds like meself are studying late into the night on campus.

@ ARF: I can't say if UofT downtown is more competitive in Business/Management programs than UTSC because I am not in that program, so best to listen to what you have to say. I do hear it's a soft program from my friends. Still, I would go for UofT downtown as WLFC said. Don't know about you, but I would rather study in a challenging program; you don't want your education to be a bore. Are you at UofT downtown in a business program?

I can't believe that wasn't given a lbw, Juni deserved a wicket there. Off-topic this, but the frustration is so that this must be expressed here as I watch the Test match. :133:

kkmix its not about what school is better. All universities are difficult. However, there are certain schools with particular reputations for a course subject. It is best to go to those schools because of their alumni network, which thus enhances its "reputation."

Take it from someone who knows. I went to Laurier which is a accounting school, yet I am in finance. Alhumidillah I have a good job but I also know I had to work much harder than say if I went to Ivey at Western as they have a stronger network in finance. I am not saying anything out of disrespect to your school. Just understand your school is only 5-6 years old and thus there are not many alumni out there in strong and promenient positions yet. Can Savak go to UofIT and get a accounting job? Sure he can, its not impossible. But would I reccomend it if he could get into a school with a strong accounting network? No.

I hope you understand what I am saying. Your school is not bad in anyway. It is just that it will take time to build some credibility (at minimum it takes 10 years for university to really establish itself) and it has different areas of specialization (you have a very good technical school which is going to have a great rep in 20 years because only UofT competes with your program downtown). You need to chose a school with the right background for you. Any university you go to you will make friends and enjoy it.

I was hoping i would get more exemptions and only have to take 5-6 courses at a university in Ontario instead of 11. Plus some of these universities have prerequisites for these courses and hence that could potentially mean me having to take 20-21 courses instead of 11 courses.

I was also applying for jobs and hoping to these courses part time while working. Now i am debating whether doing these courses as a full time student would be a better option. To the students studying in Canada, how many evening/part time courses can a full time working student manage in a semmester realistically speaking? 2-3?

I am currently in Waterloo. If you need any help up here then I am available. I don't go to UW btw, I work here.

Voilet May is dead right here. I would always choose a good school regardless of situation and as I said earlier UoT is way better than any other. Its downtown campus (St George) is the best. I studied from there and found it to be better than many schools. Plus in overall world rankings UoT finishes as the top canadian school. It competes with McGill usually.

Rankings shmankings....they all mean sh!t. A lot of those rankings are based on post-grad/doctural programs where in that case the reputation does matter. They don't reflect the school because each school has a different specialization. UofT is bigger and thus can have a stronger department in many areas.

To me, its about the alumni network. And so yes, I reccomend UofT but I don't factor in non-important things like "campus" or "rankings." I am a Laurier grad with a BBA and I have MBAs from UofT Rotman program contacting me asking to meet me for coffee to learn more about what I do. Again, I have another friend from Ryerson who was on the honour roll for the UFE exam.

At the end of the day, its down to the individual and its all down to networking. Doesn't matter what school you go to, if you don't go out and meet people, you won't advance far in this sector. I got my job purely on networking (they didn't even formally interview me when they hired me), and didn't get many interviews while applying through the internet positions.

I was hoping i would get more exemptions and only have to take 5-6 courses at a university in Ontario instead of 11. Plus some of these universities have prerequisites for these courses and hence that could potentially mean me having to take 20-21 courses instead of 11 courses.

I was also applying for jobs and hoping to these courses part time while working. Now i am debating whether doing these courses as a full time student would be a better option. To the students studying in Canada, how many evening/part time courses can a full time working student manage in a semmester realistically speaking? 2-3?

I would say 3-4. Our course load is generally 5 courses and thus, I would say a job is like taking one course (if you are working less than 20 hours a week). But personally if I was you, I would not work (money provided) and just do the courses in one go. Do 5-5 and then do one in the summer, at which time you can work.

You are going to be in a new country, a little frazzled, learning your way around. I think you should take at least one semster settling down, getting use to life AND then if you want, work after that.

Last edited:
If you are doing Engineering, UWaterloo is the best.. I mean the best in Canada.. MIT and IIT of Canada.. u will get interviews jus with the name

Rankings shmankings....they all mean sh!t. A lot of those rankings are based on post-grad/doctural programs where in that case the reputation does matter. They don't reflect the school because each school has a different specialization. UofT is bigger and thus can have a stronger department in many areas.

To me, its about the alumni network. And so yes, I reccomend UofT but I don't factor in non-important things like "campus" or "rankings." I am a Laurier grad with a BBA and I have MBAs from UofT Rotman program contacting me asking to meet me for coffee to learn more about what I do. Again, I have another friend from Ryerson who was on the honour roll for the UFE exam.

At the end of the day, its down to the individual and its all down to networking. Doesn't matter what school you go to, if you don't go out and meet people, you won't advance far in this sector. I got my job purely on networking (they didn't even formally interview me when they hired me), and didn't get many interviews while applying through the internet positions.

Can you give some tips on networking while in University? How should one find the right people to meet?

Regarding my earlier post I didn't want to give any wrong information which is why I added that its my personal opinion and observations.

Last edited:
Can you give some tips on networking while in University? How should one find the right people to meet?

Regarding my earlier post I didn't want to give any wrong information which is why I added that its my personal opinion and observations.

No worries. Sorry if I came across harsh, I wasn't trying to. Just a lot of people get very defensive about the school they go to, feel the need to convince others that it is the best option when it is not. I liked my school but if there is a better case to be made like Western, then I would say go for it.

As for tips. What I did was when contacting them, keep it very brief. A 20 second pitch on the phone or a e-mail not more than 4 sentences. Just say who you are, that you are interested in what they in. And if they wouldn't mind meeting you for some coffee for 15-20 mins. Once you are in front of them, naturally they will ask in more detail about you and then you sell yourself. And go to a meeting with 4-5 good industry related questions. Don't ask generic how is your day crap (you can but should not be one of your main questions) but ask stuff about the industry you vaguely know about and have a opinion on it.

If I were you, I would access my school alumni directory and contact people for coffee (people within the industry you want to work in). And never think oh this person is not a manager, so how can he benefit me. Sometimes, you have to work your way up. At the end of the day, the point of networking is to establish a long term relationship. Never feel shy to meet anyone, even someone who is seeking your help because one day they will not be in that position and they will be like you. But maybe who knows, they will go to a different sector you want to move in? Also if someone doesn't reply, don't feel disheartened. You need to follow up with them 2 or 3 times, sometimes people are just busy (but don't continously annoy them, space out a follow up by a week).

No worries. Sorry if I came across harsh, I wasn't trying to. Just a lot of people get very defensive about the school they go to, feel the need to convince others that it is the best option when it is not. I liked my school but if there is a better case to be made like Western, then I would say go for it.

As for tips. What I did was when contacting them, keep it very brief. A 20 second pitch on the phone or a e-mail not more than 4 sentences. Just say who you are, that you are interested in what they in. And if they wouldn't mind meeting you for some coffee for 15-20 mins. Once you are in front of them, naturally they will ask in more detail about you and then you sell yourself. And go to a meeting with 4-5 good industry related questions. Don't ask generic how is your day crap (you can but should not be one of your main questions) but ask stuff about the industry you vaguely know about and have a opinion on it.

If I were you, I would access my school alumni directory and contact people for coffee (people within the industry you want to work in). And never think oh this person is not a manager, so how can he benefit me. Sometimes, you have to work your way up. At the end of the day, the point of networking is to establish a long term relationship. Never feel shy to meet anyone, even someone who is seeking your help because one day they will not be in that position and they will be like you. But maybe who knows, they will go to a different sector you want to move in? Also if someone doesn't reply, don't feel disheartened. You need to follow up with them 2 or 3 times, sometimes people are just busy (but don't continously annoy them, space out a follow up by a week).

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'm only in first year so still got a long way to go but I definitely hope to use your advice in the future. Right now I'm not even sure if I chose the right university!

You mention contacting people in the industry briefly. Would I get the contact info like email addresses on major company websites or are you strictly referring to alumnis?

By the way, I don't actually go to Ryerson myself. Savak just said he had to choose between York or Ryerson which is why I even mentioned the uni.

Last edited:

For you rankings may seem sh-it but for a student who has an option of selecting schools it is an indicator of what the local and international perception is about each and every school in town. A student must not decide just on rankings but they should factor that in their decisions. Generally the rankings also reflect schools connection to industries which can help student knock a job.

As for your other part I agree. Social networking is the key to get a job as compared to applying online. That's how I was able to knock mine. However school played a big part in that because Almunis / big companies / industry folks do keep coming back to schools they pass out from or which is the best in town in terms of recognition. I never missed any opportunities to socialize with the industry folks who would come in and deliver a lecture or attend any event. Just as you said, its an opportunity to sell yourself. I was lucky to study from Rotmans and I know what you're talking about. But I must add name of Rotmans is enough to get you a job interview to those who know its worth.

insurge - Make a contact card and dont feel shy to talk to anyone as amir said whether you're in school, party or in some office. Be confident and ask them that to have a coffee and exchange contact card. You can also be brave and ask them directly that you're looking for an opportunity in his/her workplace and mention a brief reason. As Amir said, you might not get a desired response initially but dont get dishearted, you will get better in it and eventually you will make an instant impression in first meetings. Dont forget to email people from whom you take contact cards from and dont forget to give them your card when you ask for theirs. Generally I found 9 out of 10 people to be very nice when contacted like that but then it also depends on what you say and how you respond to them.

kkmix its not about what school is better. All universities are difficult. However, there are certain schools with particular reputations for a course subject. It is best to go to those schools because of their alumni network, which thus enhances its "reputation."

Take it from someone who knows. I went to Laurier which is a accounting school, yet I am in finance. Alhumidillah I have a good job but I also know I had to work much harder than say if I went to Ivey at Western as they have a stronger network in finance. I am not saying anything out of disrespect to your school. Just understand your school is only 5-6 years old and thus there are not many alumni out there in strong and promenient positions yet. Can Savak go to UofIT and get a accounting job? Sure he can, its not impossible. But would I reccomend it if he could get into a school with a strong accounting network? No.

I hope you understand what I am saying. Your school is not bad in anyway. It is just that it will take time to build some credibility (at minimum it takes 10 years for university to really establish itself) and it has different areas of specialization (you have a very good technical school which is going to have a great rep in 20 years because only UofT competes with your program downtown). You need to chose a school with the right background for you. Any university you go to you will make friends and enjoy it.

It's UOIT, not UofIT ... You don't know much about it.

And I am in no way recommending anyone to go to UOIT ... I'm actually telling them not to go there. It's pretty bad. However, I still maintain my point that it doesn't matter which university you graduate from, more often than not, you will end up in the same place. And no one really cares what uni you went to after your first job anyways.

Last edited:
I am sure everyone desires to go to a good uni, especially the best but uni's at best only help you in getting interview calls in your first job, thats where the alumni network helps a lot. Getting your first job is always the toughest one especially in a new country. But after that the rest is up to you, how hard you work, how smart you work, your networking skills, how you utilize your work time, your penchant for taking initiative, doing stuff beyond what everyone else is doing.

Atleast this is what i have learnt from my first job after graduating from IBA where i spent 6 years. Real life is a totally different ball game from university. I kind of regret the opportunities i missed at University to socialize, to weight train, excercise, time which you will not really get later on in life. I wish i wasnt that lazy.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'm only in first year so still got a long way to go but I definitely hope to use your advice in the future. Right now I'm not even sure if I chose the right university!

You mention contacting people in the industry briefly. Would I get the contact info like email addresses on major company websites or are you strictly referring to alumnis?

By the way, I don't actually go to Ryerson myself. Savak just said he had to choose between York or Ryerson which is why I even mentioned the uni.

You can contact people that are not alumni. Alumni is just a great starting point to get you comfortable. And when you talk to alumni, mention you go to that school, they will be more willing to help one of their own. If you contact non-alumni, let them know where you got their contact from, just establishes some sort of comfort level.

But you are first year anyway, you got plenty of time. Try to focus on developing some good habits while you can and I think maybe once you are in 3rd or 4th year you should start to actively seek to network for a full time role (but you don't say it like that, again, about building long term relationship). BUT, never be shy to network. If there is a event at school with many professionals, I reccomend you attend. Collect as many business cards as you can and follow up with those people.

Last edited:
For you rankings may seem sh-it but for a student who has an option of selecting schools it is an indicator of what the local and international perception is about each and every school in town. A student must not decide just on rankings but they should factor that in their decisions. Generally the rankings also reflect schools connection to industries which can help student knock a job.

As for your other part I agree. Social networking is the key to get a job as compared to applying online. That's how I was able to knock mine. However school played a big part in that because Almunis / big companies / industry folks do keep coming back to schools they pass out from or which is the best in town in terms of recognition. I never missed any opportunities to socialize with the industry folks who would come in and deliver a lecture or attend any event. Just as you said, its an opportunity to sell yourself. I was lucky to study from Rotmans and I know what you're talking about. But I must add name of Rotmans is enough to get you a job interview to those who know its worth.

insurge - Make a contact card and dont feel shy to talk to anyone as amir said whether you're in school, party or in some office. Be confident and ask them that to have a coffee and exchange contact card. You can also be brave and ask them directly that you're looking for an opportunity in his/her workplace and mention a brief reason. As Amir said, you might not get a desired response initially but dont get dishearted, you will get better in it and eventually you will make an instant impression in first meetings. Dont forget to email people from whom you take contact cards from and dont forget to give them your card when you ask for theirs. Generally I found 9 out of 10 people to be very nice when contacted like that but then it also depends on what you say and how you respond to them.

By any chance, do you work downtown? I see a networking opportunity. :yk

Wth? Which timmies did you go to...the one in Bladen Wing? I am surprised no one was around. Usually, nerds like meself are studying late into the night on campus.

@ ARF: I can't say if UofT downtown is more competitive in Business/Management programs than UTSC because I am not in that program, so best to listen to what you have to say. I do hear it's a soft program from my friends. Still, I would go for UofT downtown as WLFC said. Don't know about you, but I would rather study in a challenging program; you don't want your education to be a bore. Are you at UofT downtown in a business program?

Your friends must be super smart to consider it a soft program or maybe they were comparing it with life science? I'm in dowtown campus completing my BCom inshallah this year and I can tell you that its really very difficult to maintain a gpa higher than 3.0 and around 3.5 especially since I work 2 part time jobs. If it wasn't for commuting and yes the prestige - that I no longer care about now since I believe that the name of UofT is enough for employers to suggest that I'm a hard working person with good educational background regardless of which campus I attended, I would rather go to UTSC or even York (yes even York!!) since they have an equally competitive business programs from what I heard.

Yeah, I used to have two part-time jobs as well but down to one part-time job this year. Working and studying does make it harder for sure. No, they were comparing it to the same program at UofT Downtown, which means for them, it's easier to be in your program when enrolled in courses at the Scarborough campus.

Pretty standard GPA, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Don't know about the business program, but there are only about 10-15 students who are on the honour roll after third year in my program. Tough life out there :akhtar :yk, but if your marks are important to you, then maybe consider ditching one of the jobs if possible?

For Accounting - in toronto the best are U of T (St. George) or York. Outside of Toronto Laurier and Western have good programs, but again, i could be a little biased eh Amir.

Where you go to school does make a difference, not sure posters above know what they are talking about.

^
I would listen to him Savak because if anything, his username consists of two important words that are relevant to your goals:

1) CA
2) Gold ($$$$$)

I am guessing he probably knows what he is talking about.

^
I would listen to him Savak because if anything, his username consists of two important words that are relevant to your goals:

1) CA
2) Gold ($$$$$)

I am guessing he probably knows what he is talking about.

You would think that, but having met him, I can safely say he rarely knows what he is talking about. :p

Amir is pretty bang on with what he's talking about. I generally agree with what he's saying ITT. I personally see no issue with Ryerson for accounting, definitely a little bit easier if you happen to be an above average student.

For accounting everyone's going to be looking at your required CA courses anyways, so Amir is correct in that you should go to a school that offers you the best networking opportunities.

Awww, way to ruin it for other posters; who will now lead a miserable life because they won't be able to experience the wit in my post. For shame Mr.Gold, for shame!

Awww, way to ruin it for other posters; who will now lead a miserable life because they won't be able to experience the wit in my post. For shame Mr.Gold, for shame!

Seems like you need to be banned, how dare you talk like this to ca_gold bhai? ;-) :)) :))

By any chance, do you work downtown? I see a networking opportunity. :yk

Sure I'd love to and yes I'm downtown guy (Union station). I always welcome any networking opportunity. Btw reminder you never showed up for cricket :p (Canadian Big Bash thread) and we couldn't meet in Guelph Mosque on fridays even though we both go there :p.

Sure I'd love to and yes I'm downtown guy (Union station). I always welcome any networking opportunity. Btw reminder you never showed up for cricket :p (Canadian Big Bash thread) and we couldn't meet in Guelph Mosque on fridays even though we both go there :p.

You make it very difficult to contact you. :p

Please send a PM with your e-mail to the mods.

Alright guys. I have been to Brock and York. The rest of the uni's i have contacted via email and phone because visiting the campuses is really tiring plus there is no point in asking stuff from people face to face which you can find on the web. Plus all the counsellors are always not available for meetings, they are like either call us or email us with your queries but greater preference is given to current students as opposed to prospective students. Hence i found it more efficient to stay at home, just go on the web with the phone next to me and deal with all the universities in one go rather than waste time visiting a college and see the whole day wasted.

Anyways i understand where you guys are all coming from. I understand i have to focus on the main universities like Uft, York, Ryerson, Wilfrid Laurier etc. But the ICAO gave me a list of 30 universities i can apply too. I had been emailing all these universities for the past 8-10 months asking them whether they have the courses i need, can i take them as a visiting, non-degree, upgrading, continuing education student. Some just blew me off while saying no, some just sent automated responses, some said wait for your evaluation to be complete.

I am so pissed off that the ICAO took 8 months to do this evaluation, had i known back in Jan 2011 when i finally submitted all the documents i needed to the ICAO for the evaluation that i would be required to do 11 courses, i would have been more desperate in trying to apply to universities here. But the fact i didnt have a detailed insight into the courses i needed to take didnt help matters. But anyways, thats done now.

Our Immigration is still in process, we had our medicals done this July and we are expecting the visa by March-April 2012 tentatively. My original plan was to wait for the immigration to come through before i got into any college because of the massive fee reduction advantages and higher enrollment chances but time is money for me now. I would prefer to get these courses done asap. All my relatives, chachas, mamus, friends who know the Canadian system feel its best if i give up the thought of working for now and just get these courses out of the way as a full time student plus i need to settle down to life in Canada, the teaching, studying, peers, people in general before i step out in the corporate world here. I believe that's fair enough and that's what il be doing.

So now the plan is to initially to do my best to come here on a student visa and target January i.e. Winter for enrollmeent irrespective of the high fees that i might have to pay. Like i said time is money. If the immigration comes later on inshallah, will deal with it then. But no point in wasting time in Pakistan in a job i dont really fancy anymore.

Uft has said that while i am elligible to apply in their continuing education program, there are high chances that i wont be able to get the courses i want because they give preference to their full time degree students plus continuing education doesnt offer all accounting courses. They feel York and Ryerson are my best options. I have done my research and York and Ryerson are offering all my courses, there are prerequisite problems but these universities are like the first step for me is to apply for admission and once i am in then i deal with the prereq problems.

So now i have to go back to Pakistan, go to IBA and be on their case to send my official transcripts in a sealed IBA envelope to all the universities i am applying too. I already have my IELTS score 8.5 and all my course outlines of all the accounting related courses i took at IBA. Gonna operate at a war footing in Pakistan, not a single day to waste.

But overall this brief Canadian trip has been successful, i have been able to get a lot done, learn a lot, when you call up and speak to 30 colleges its just amazing exposure. Plus i do like the nice, friendly attitude of the people over here. Its a complete uturn from the problems of Karachi i.e. load shedding, law and order, poor economic situation, political situation, abuse of authority/power, nepotism. This is what i had been really looking for, a break from all that and exposure to a new experience.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks Amir and others for the insight and advice. Have another 5 days before i head back. Will get to see my dad over Eid and enjoy all the mamu's, chachas, khalas get together for those 1-2 days, havent had that in ages. Having Family around you makes a huge difference to one's moodset.

Again some feedback needed from Canadian PP guys. I am considering buying a new blackberry. I wanted to ask in case when i land in Canada and i decide to purchase a blackberry SIM from the likes of Rogers, Bell etc, will these companies require me to purchase a new blackberry phone from them in addition to buying the new SIM?

In case the above is true then it doesnt make sense for me to purchase the Blackberry in Pakistan then.

If you wish to get BlackBerry services from a provider then you will have to buy a BlackBerry phone set from them as well.

So yeah it doesn't make sense if you bring your BlackBerry from Pakistan.

You might want to have a look at Wind Mobile's BlackBerry plans quite cheap (but make sure you check there coverage)

As long as the phone is compatible with their network than all you have to do is buy the SIM, choose your plan and away you go. The providers don't force you to buy phones from them as mentioned by the above poster, they would like you to sign a 2/3 year term but since you are buying the phone there is no need for you to sign a contract.

Back