Hitting your way back to form. Good idea?

webmack

Debutant
Runs
Hi folks,

Have any of you hit your way out of form and do you think it is a good idea? Tell us about it and what happened?

My story:

I play grade 1 cricket in Melbourne Australia, open the batting. So far we've had four games this season. 3 two day games (75 overs an innings) and 1 T20.

I'd say I am a decent player, have hit many fifties with a top score of 87.

I've been quite happy with my batting in the nets but in the first couple of 2 day games I found myself batting with the mindset of block / survive first, score later. I spent 10-15 overs in the middle but didn't go past single digits.

In the T20 game, we were chasing a huge target, and I decided to just play freely and top scored with 20 odd as everyone else crumbled around me.

The next 2 day game the following week, I went in with a score first, defend second approach and had hit a sweet boundary when the umpire gave me out for a shocking lbw.

My next game tomorrow, I'm considering going in blazing guns to try and find some form....

Works in indoor cricket. Will occasionally work outdoor but don't bank on it.

If you get 3-4 shots right and get some runs then its always good for your confidence. If you are not successful though, chances are high that you would get out early. Sort of a gamble.

I think the key is mental confidence. If you think about only surviving or you know you have fear of getting out, you probably won't score much.

Having said, as an opener, I always try to make things easier for the batsman to come, so I try to play cautiously at first and take the shine off the ball, but when there is a ball there to be hit, you need to put it away.

I think the key is mental confidence. If you think about only surviving or you know you have fear of getting out, you probably won't score much.

Having said, as an opener, I always try to make things easier for the batsman to come, so I try to play cautiously at first and take the shine off the ball, but when there is a ball there to be hit, you need to put it away.

Interesting. As an opener I do the opposite. I would rather dictate terms to the bowling side and take over.

Give my team that flying start. Not necessarily a sustained flying start but even a sporadic start can really rattle the opposition.

I know how it is mate.

When I played as an opener I usually went for it, but still played every shot on merit.

Go for it but dont swing it wildly like Imran Nazir, play every shot on merit, rotate the strike, give some blows in between :)

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Have any of you hit your way out of form and do you think it is a good idea? Tell us about it and what happened?

My story:

I play grade 1 cricket in Melbourne Australia, open the batting. So far we've had four games this season. 3 two day games (75 overs an innings) and 1 T20.

I'd say I am a decent player, have hit many fifties with a top score of 87.

I've been quite happy with my batting in the nets but in the first couple of 2 day games I found myself batting with the mindset of block / survive first, score later. I spent 10-15 overs in the middle but didn't go past single digits.

In the T20 game, we were chasing a huge target, and I decided to just play freely and top scored with 20 odd as everyone else crumbled around me.

The next 2 day game the following week, I went in with a score first, defend second approach and had hit a sweet boundary when the umpire gave me out for a shocking lbw.

My next game tomorrow, I'm considering going in blazing guns to try and find some form....

Bro I can relate you on it ... been there done that; I would say go back to your basics and it will just happen, you just need 1 good moment and you'll be back on Inshallah :)

Have a read on below thread, I shared my experience there:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=153485

I think the best way is if you go down the hit it out of form that doenst mean go willy nilly and crack swing for every single ball out there respect the bowl but if its in your hitting area go for it. I think too many people go out there and swing from the hip which doesnt help

Thanks guys for the comments.

I got my team off to a good start chasing 159. My opening partner and I put on 65 in about 12 overs. He was doing the blazing so I just took the opportunity to relax and slipstream. Took singles, put the bad ball away and just held on to my wicket. I was feeling good, was on 18 when this young left arm quick in his 2nd over, bowled one that was going way down the leg side to swing away late and clipped my leg stump! Yes bowled round my legs by a quick. I think I shuffled a little and that didn't help either.

I took some confidence from this innings and will build on it next innings. The thing I felt made the difference was my commitment to score which meant I was keen to get forward or back quickly and play my stroke to the ball, rather than be half hearted and look to defend.

Last edited:
well i say block a couple of deliveries and then hit it out remember a rule of hitting if you get a few boundries you will get in form as confidence rises however if you miss or get out you will immediately lose confidence glad to hear you did good thats how openings are even in our club matches i am the innings builder whereas my other opener is a hitter he get a quick start of 20 and gets out :nazir :afridi and i build the innings hate openings like to bat at 3 though :kohli :clarke

Thanks guys for the comments.

I got my team off to a good start chasing 159. My opening partner and I put on 65 in about 12 overs. He was doing the blazing so I just took the opportunity to relax and slipstream. Took singles, put the bad ball away and just held on to my wicket. I was feeling good, was on 18 when this young left arm quick in his 2nd over, bowled one that was going way down the leg side to swing away late and clipped my leg stump! Yes bowled round my legs by a quick. I think I shuffled a little and that didn't help either.

I took some confidence from this innings and will build on it next innings. The thing I felt made the difference was my commitment to score which meant I was keen to get forward or back quickly and play my stroke to the ball, rather than be half hearted and look to defend.

That's a good news; seems you are gaining your confidence back, keep it up and it'll get better n better :)

play your natural game. As doc said, each ball should be played on its merit.

As an opener myself, in the early stage of my innings i tend to concentrate on the tuck of my hips to get off strike :) and anything on leg stump i will try to play anywhere between long on and straight mid wicket.

anything on a good length and outside off stump i will leave. Anything short and wide i will cut, but not too hard as the concentration should be on placement rather than power.

Try not to pre plan your innings in all day cricket. In T20 cricket a plan is fine, esp during the 6 overs powerplay.

As an opener(playing in a lower level cricket league), I can tell you that unless you're being fed canon fodder from both ends, it is ridiculous to go all guns blazing hoping to get your form back. I consider this approach a high risk gamble even in T20s.

If you are not in the best of touch, The best approach and this is only my opinion, but all you got to do is play the ball to its merit. Back yourself to play shots off what you think is a bad ball, and respect the good ones. Being too cautious or too aggressive when you're out of form will most likely result in failure or atleast that is what Ive seen happen with my batting.

Interesting. As an opener I do the opposite. I would rather dictate terms to the bowling side and take over.

I do a bit middle middle. Couple of dot balls. Feel the way for about 6 7 balls and then try for some drives. It is my personal pride that in all the matches i have played both with school, Clg and with friends challenging another team i have hit only 2 sixes and both on short ground. :D :D :D

If you are out of form then its not good to play dot balls bcz that will undermine your own confidence and increase the bowlers confidence alot. Dont go for hitss or you will become like Afridi or Sehwag which will result in more lack of confidence. I say practice in nets and in matches be confident. The difference is how you pass the mental block. Dont come to the wicket with fear of getting out. If you see a bad bowl put it away if not rotate the strike. The more runs you will get the more confident you will feel.

Back