How did we of all countries become a factory line for timid cricketers?

GLORY OF '92

ODI Debutant
Runs
Shafiq
Ali
Aslam
Rahat
Imran
Etc.......

How did the nation of the cornered tigers come to produce timid, meek and feeble cricketers like these.

What the hell happened?

Only Imad is an exception.

Is it for the worse though?

Think of the "cornered tigers" era basically late 80s and 90s, and think of all the inner team feuds that were boiling beneath the surface. Miandad vs Imran, Wasim vs Waqar, factions being formed within the team, oathgate in the 2000s, etc etc.

Because of this and the difficulty it took to manage these big egos with their tiger personalities, PCB became more strict and emphasized discipline along with performance. It's why guys like Umar and Shehzad were shown the door, despite having personalities, and so PCB along with rest of the folks in power like Misbah and Inzi selected players who were "yes man" like and would be easier to lead.

Misbah, Waqar went with Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Aslam and so on.

Not the best way to go about it, but hey, we've been controversy free now for quite some time now.

Difference between the "aggressive" players of other teams and the ones we have carried in the past is that the other players from other teams keep it to on field aggression yet still maintain a professional attitude off the field.

Our players stayed aggressive and unprofessional of the field as well. Shoaib Akhtar is a prime example, as is someone like Shehzad. Wasim (dodgy off field behaviors).

They don't listen to cornered tiger's speech frequently to get inspiration.

You can thank a certain captain and his apprentice for this philosophy of cricket. Favouring cricketers who are all "goody two-shoes" with none of the traditional Pakistani flair.

For a long time an army of spinners was favoured over pace bowlers. There was even a time when Umar Gul was our one and only pacer in a test match :facepalm:

I can't wait till that captain hangs up his boots and his apprentice is also rightfully dropped for his timid and negative batting (which coincidentally does not result in any runs).

We all saw how a street fighter was appointed as a captain of one format and completely turned around the side within a matter of days.

To be honest I don't blame Misbah. I believe the issue is related to the domestic game and
social issues.

What does timid have to do results on the field? I will gladly take current test team over any team from last 10 years.

They don't listen to cornered tiger's speech frequently to get inspiration.

Funny. Not.

OT, only Shafiq and Rahat can really be called timid and that is because they think they aren't as good as they are.

Funny. Not.

OT, only Shafiq and Rahat can really be called timid and that is because they think they aren't as good as they are.

Ummmm so how do you describe innings of 31 off 173 or 1 off 18, or taking 50 odd balls to score 7 runs.

Sami, Azhar, Misbah, Shafiq and Rahat are the DEFINITION of timid.

What does timid have to do results on the field? I will gladly take current test team over any team from last 10 years.

In case you haven't noticed this current test team is going on to achieve a feat that NO Pakistani test side has managed in the last 31 years (that is to lose a series in NZ) and this isn't even a strong NZ side. :facepalm:

Ummmm so how do you describe innings of 31 off 173 or 1 off 18, or taking 50 odd balls to score 7 runs.

Sami, Azhar, Misbah, Shafiq and Rahat are the DEFINITION of timid.

By that same logic Azhar also has run a ball tons in ODI cricket as well as the century to chase 300 in 60 overs vs SL at Sharjah, Misbah has the second fastest ton in Test Cricket. Sami looks like someone who is a grinder and not someone who has the range of strokes to be able to bat at 60-70 SR.

Timid is referred to someone with poor body language who over a period of time consistently performs below potential.

When did we become a nation of moaners and whiners? Don't like what you see? Either offer some constructive criticism and pinpoint some actual issues or pick up a bat and ball and go change things yourself for once.

If these same batsmen had been aggressive and had folded for under 100, there would be a thread made by some poster whining about a lack of batting technique in the team.

Give these guys time, batting has certainly not been easy in this series. They might surprise us all today and if not, I expect them to put up a fight at least, against the Aussies.

Well, it's not as bad as the OP made it sound. Yes, there are some very timid characters :shafiq , but others even if they look like one aren't.

Specially in their game. Like Sami Aslam is a nice guy but bats with authority, unlike the timidness of :shafiq Same with Babar Azam.

Misbah is the nicest guy in cricket probably, but has an aura and is the big daddy when batting.

Funny. Not.

In all seriousness, you can't call players timid if they are operating at their full capacity. I will put Rahat in timid category with poor body language despite having skills.Not sure about that kind of tag for many players listed in OP.

In all seriousness, you can't call players timid if they are operating at their full capacity. I will put Rahat in timid category with poor body language despite having skills.Not sure about that kind of tag for many players listed in OP.

Which is essentially what I said and also Shafiq because he has poor body language.

Yes I agree, I don't think quite a few on here are sure what timid actually means.

Just a couple of months ago most Pak fans were praising the same team for their fearless approach when they drew the Test series in England. Many pak fans were going gaga over Misbah's men as they were the best ever Pak Test team. Better than Imran Khan's Test team from 80's.

Now all of a sudden they became timid. lol Both are over reactions.

The opinions here change very fast.

Even over a team that had Inzi, Younis, Yousuf, Asif, Akhtar and Kaneria?

Back