How to fix this crack...on the SIDE of my bat? (pics)

KalAhmed

Debutant
Runs
Hi, got a CA PLUS 15000. You might have seen my other thread about my bat 'opening up'.

Anyway, I have noticed an extending crack running down the SIDE of my bat now. I have taken the scuff sheet off to inspect.

Please can you tell me how to stop this extending any more, it looks like it's just going to get bigger. The bat itself performs really well. I am thinking of trying to get some glue in the crack, if not possible then just over it. Then clamping. Then applying fibre edge tape. Than applying anti scuff sheet over that.

any help is appreciated, thanks

Pics attached --->> http://imgur.com/a/yMHPJ

Yes, you are right, this might damage the whole bat if not taken care of.

I heard from a friend that he used an injection syringe to put the super glue in the crack. Then the anti scuff and then he used 4-6 layers of fiber edge tape. I don't know how effective it was but it sounds better than nothing.

Hi, got a CA PLUS 15000. You might have seen my other thread about my bat 'opening up'.

Anyway, I have noticed an extending crack running down the SIDE of my bat now. I have taken the scuff sheet off to inspect.

Please can you tell me how to stop this extending any more, it looks like it's just going to get bigger. The bat itself performs really well. I am thinking of trying to get some glue in the crack, if not possible then just over it. Then clamping. Then applying fibre edge tape. Than applying anti scuff sheet over that.

any help is appreciated, thanks

Pics attached --->> http://imgur.com/a/yMHPJ

lol you really aren't lookin after your bat. i don't think you'd have to wood glue it but wrap that area in lots of fibre tape. and look at some bat care guides!

good luck

lol you really aren't lookin after your bat. i don't think you'd have to wood glue it but wrap that area in lots of fibre tape. and look at some bat care guides!

good luck

lol it looks that way doesn't it. Although I have been looking after this bat as if it is my new born child. just my luck. Seriously. It must have occurred due to it being overdried. I knew this before i got the bat, and so I oiled the edges and face. But nope, it must have been too far dry. I have used it in 1 match and faced 3 balls for 1*. Just net usage.

I'll try get some evo-stik impact adhesive in there asap.

Going to inject glue in there with a syringe. Then clamp it together.

Question is, do I apply the edge tape AND THEN put scuff sheet over the top.

or

put scuff sheet on, AND THEN put edge tape on.

Thanks

I always put 2 lots of edge tape on the face edge first then clear scuff over the top and wrap around the edge, this way i feel the edge tape would be more helpful. Offcourse clear scuff then edge tape over the top will be a lot easier from a maintenance point of view as much easier to remove clear scuff than fibre tape as the fibre threads are annoying to remove lol. If you do a good job of knocking in edges and not a hard hitter you can get away with just clear scuff, especialy if the grains are nice and you like showing them off. As for glue, i have only ever used wood glue for major splits, otherwise just light sanding and fibre tape. I hear standard superglue is best for small cracks and its thin consistency means it can properly getting into the gaps. Wood glue would only penetrate large splits

I always put 2 lots of edge tape on the face edge first then clear scuff over the top and wrap around the edge, this way i feel the edge tape would be more helpful. Offcourse clear scuff then edge tape over the top will be a lot easier from a maintenance point of view as much easier to remove clear scuff than fibre tape as the fibre threads are annoying to remove lol. If you do a good job of knocking in edges and not a hard hitter you can get away with just clear scuff, especialy if the grains are nice and you like showing them off. As for glue, i have only ever used wood glue for major splits, otherwise just light sanding and fibre tape. I hear standard superglue is best for small cracks and its thin consistency means it can properly getting into the gaps. Wood glue would only penetrate large splits

Really helpful thanks. I'll get some wood glue, and i'll water it down perhaps. I have this: http://www.wilko.com/adhesives/evo-stik-wood-adhesive-resin-125ml/invt/4226544 I will go with the fibre edge tape on first then. I don't care about it being 'easy maintenance' in future. There will always be a way to remove it. The job is to protect it. Cheers

Last edited:
Back