Hybrid cars

m_sohail

Local Club Regular
Runs
I didn't find a thread around, so I thought it'd be a good topic to discuss.

Personally, the lease on our van is up in a couple of months time, and we recently went to talk to the dealer about getting a new car. My father and I were both intrigued by the prospect of getting the Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Gas prices are going way up in Canada, and there doesn't look to be any relief in sight. Doing some initial research, I've heard positive reviews on the Camry Hybrid; perhaps nothing more appealing than the fact that the Camry Hybrid will go 900 KM on a single tank of gas.

Also, I figured that in about 5 years time, there will be a good market for Hybrids, so there will be a market if we decided to sell the car.

Now I'm not a big car guy, and have never really been interested too much in cars. Does anyone have first hand experience with hybrids, or know of someone who does, and what has that experience been like?

Any positives / negatives that you have heard about hybrids?

General thoughts on Hybrids?

I aim to buy one... for central london(avoid congestion charge)..

might get a g-wiz or a lpg smart car. There are some hybrid supercars being showcased in a motor show in europe - cant remember which.

Rip-offs in my experience. Had two Peugeots via work. One hybrid, one all-diesel. Same engine. The all-diesel was more economical because it wasnt lugging the battery around. The one advantage of the hybrid was that on snowy days I could get psuedo-4WD as the battery drove one set of wheels and the diesel drove the other set.

Might get a PHEV next though - the engine powers the batteries only.

Hydrogen or all-electric is the way forward ultimately.

Back