"I am sure Pakistan will progress in tennis in the years to come": Aqeel Khan

BeingFaridKhan

ODI Debutant
Runs
PakPassion is proud to present an exclusive interview with Pakistan's No. 1 ranked player and Davis Cup winner, Aqeel Khan.

PakPassion.net: You are undoubtedly the best tennis player in Pakistan. What is the reason that you didn't thrive as much as Aisam did? Why didn't you make it to the ATP stage and to the Grand Slams?

Aqeel Khan: It is very difficult to play world events like Aisam is playing right now. It takes a lot of money and sponsorship is a huge barrier. One has to keep on playing tournaments throughout the year, which cannot be done without a travelling and accommodating sponsor. It tried my level best and broke into the top 350 players in the world in 2004. I played many international tournaments, but didn’t get sponsorship.

PakPassion.net: What are the main problems in promoting Tennis in Pakistan? How can we get more people to play this game? Is Tennis a rich man's sport? Are there many tennis clubs in Pakistan? What’s your experience?

Aqeel Khan: Tennis is not at all a rich man’s sport. In Europe, there are tennis courts in public places, whereas in Pakistan, you will only see players playing tennis in big clubs, with expensive memberships. A middle-class human being cannot afford tennis in Pakistan due to lack of courts. There should be the same number of tennis courts in Pakistan as cricket grounds.

PakPassion.net: Why can't the Asians cope with the singles events of tennis? We saw Aisam withdrawing and then Sania preferred to play doubles only. Only a few notable Asian players like Li Na, Kei Nishikori and Go Soeda etc. are seen playing competitive tennis. Is the diet factor an issue or their body build?

Aqeel Khan: The main reason of this is the lack of tennis in Asia. In Europe, there are tournaments played every week and tennis is highly promoted there. People travel to other countries within the continent to play tournaments. The trend has shifted to Asia in the recent past, Now, you will see Asians taking up tennis gradually. Diet is a secondary factor.

PakPassion.net: How hard was the decision of the awarding of the entire recent Davis Cup tie to New Zealand to take? Was the court condition too miserable?

Aqeel Khan: It was the most absurd decision of Davis Cup history. The court was lush green. There was only one small patch on it, which was created by the New Zealand players. The referee was highly inexperienced. He didn’t know anything about grass courts. On the very first day, the referee was asking us for guidance. It was a very one-sided decision.

PakPassion.net: Will Pakistan ever be able to get promotion to Group I or any better than that?

Aqeel Khan: Yes, Aisam and I are very confident that within one year, we will clinch promotion to Group I. We know every bit of grass courts and we will fight for our rights. We should be handed the opportunity to choose the surface and play on a neutral venue.

PakPassion.net: How was the experience of you coaching Sri Lanka to help them clinch promotion to Group II?

Aqeel Khan: It was a great experience. Their captain was my friend. He called me to guide him. I shared my experience. We worked very hard and I am glad they completely outplayed their opponents.

PakPassion.net: Without Aisam Qureshi, Pakistan went down in the Davis Cup 3-2 to the Philippines. Was Aisam's decision to play at an ATP tournament instead of representing Pakistan a wise one?

Aqeel Khan: His decision was justified. He had to defend his points, which he won from that tournament the year before. He was committed to play that tournament.

PakPassion.net: How do you see tennis shaping up in the next decade or two in Pakistan? Is it hard to begin a career in tennis in Pakistan - did you ever consider trying your luck as a cricketer?

Aqeel Khan: We have extremely talented players and I am sure Pakistan will progress in tennis in the years to come. My father is a tennis coach, hence I wanted to play tennis too.

PakPassion.net: As your brothers, Jalil and Yasir, are playing professional tennis, following your foot-steps, what is your advice to them? Do they have the same potential as you have?

Aqeel Khan: My brothers are very hard working. Jalil is into coaching now. He recently coached in the United States of America and Thailand. Yasir is still learning and has already represented Pakistan in the Davis Cup. He has a lot of potential.

PakPassion.net: Which youngsters do you see coming up? Who do you think can make a mark professionally and what is your advice to those who want to take up tennis as their career?

Aqeel Khan: There are numerous players, stating from U14, who are highly talented. Muzzafar and Muzzamil have a bright future. Yasir Khan, Mohammad Abid, Heera Ashiq, Ahmad Babar etc. are the players whom the onus will be on once Aisam and I retire. My advice for Ahmad Babar is to work hard and replicate his junior’s results. He is a very good player.

PakPassion.net: Seeing as how you're coached by your father, Jamil Khan, what kind of influence has he had on you in terms of your career in tennis? How was that experience as a youngster growing up with the sport, and how is it now?

Aqeel Khan: My father is a wonderful coach. The most difficult time for a tennis player is the start and my father built a very strong base for me. Had I not been coached by him, I would not have been a successful player.

PakPassion.net: How hard is it to get a sponsor in Pakistan?

Aqeel Khan: I’d like to share my experience over here. It is not easy to get sponsorship in Pakistan unless and until your father has good personal and business contacts.

PakPassion.net: We are usually good at junior circuit and Challenger events, but that elusive Grand Slam level is not manageable for most Pakistani players. What is the main hurdle that you think Pakistanis face, in moving from Challenger and Tier 2 events to main ATP arena? Do you really think it is lack of talent or something else that you can pinpoint?

Aqeel Khan: The problem is the lack of exposure for our players. They play very good tennis in Pakistan, but seldom travel abroad to play tournaments. Sponsorship is very important, but they don’t get it.

PakPassion.net: What was your dream when you chose Tennis as your career? Has it been fulfilled yet?

Aqeel Khan: My dream was to represent my country in Davis Cup, which Alhamdulillah, has been fulfilled. I got more than I desired. I broke into the top 350 players and won medals and laurels in the Islamic Solidarity Games. I wanted to represent my country in ATP events, but due to lack of sponsors, I couldn’t do it.

PakPassion.net: Do you think the tennis coaches in Pakistan are well equipped and capable enough? Which tennis coach do you suggest? Are there any well known ones in Pakistan?

Aqeel Khan: Yes, we have a number of qualified coaches in Pakistan. They are very hard-working and have produced results in the past. Rasheed Malik is the best one. Mohammad Khalid, Inam-ul-Haq, Mehboob, Subhan are not far behind either. There is another coach I’d like to mention here; Faheem Siddiqui. He has been working in Bagh-e-Jinnah for a long time and has produced fine players.

PakPassion.net: Your style of playing tennis is quite unique. As a right handed player, you play the double handed forehand and single handed backhand. Who suggested you to play in this way?

Aqeel Khan: I used to play in that fashion when I was very young. I didn’t have power and used both of my hands to hit the ball. I played forehand more than backhand and hence got used to it. It doesn’t make any difference to me. I have been very successful with it.

PakPassion.net: Do you think Aisam-ul-Haq will win a Grand Slam ever?

Aqeel Khan: Yes, I am very much hopeful he will win a Grand Slam or at least reach the final again this year.

PakPassion.net: What do you plan to do after retirement?

Aqeel Khan: I will take up coaching after my retirement and try to produce top players, who will do Pakistan proud in future.

PakPassion.net: Who is your all-time favourite player?

Aqeel Khan: My all-time favourite player is Stefan Edberg of Sweden. David Nalbandian, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have also impressed me a lot. In ladies, Steffi Graf and Justine Henin are my favourites.

PakPassion.net: Who will win the upcoming French open? Will Roger Federer win a Grand Slam ever again?

Aqeel Khan: I’m banking on Rafael Nadal, the King of Clay, to win the Roland Garros. As far as Roger Federer is concerned, Wimbledon 2013 will be his last chance to win a Grand Slam. Grass is his favourite surface. All the other surfaces are quick and don’t support him anymore.

PakPassion.net: Thank you very much for your time.

Aqeel Khan: My pleasure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice of Aqeel and some good answers

My dream was to represent my country in Davis Cup, which Alhamdulillah, has been fulfilled. I got more than I desired. I broke into the top 350 players and won medals and laurels in the Islamic Solidarity Games. I wanted to represent my country in ATP events, but due to lack of sponsors, I couldn’t do it.

I Personally know aqeel sir, have practiced and travelled with him for tournaments. He is a wonderful guy, loves Pakistan and is a role model for me and many other people. One of the best sportsmen pakistan has ever produced and I frankly feel he doesn't get the credit he deserves. A great Pakistani and a great human being.

Thanks for doing a interview with him BFK, I know he is a friend of yours too :) A brilliant read !

A very interesting interview Farid.

Many thanks also to Aqeel.

Great to see Tennis players from our country flourishing. Thanks for the interview Farid!

Great interview! Fantastic job!

All of us here live cricket - particularly Pakistani cricket - but it would be amazing to see Pakistan also In-Shaa-Allah excel in other sports.

I Personally know aqeel sir, have practiced and travelled with him for tournaments. He is a wonderful guy, loves Pakistan and is a role model for me and many other people. One of the best sportsmen pakistan has ever produced and I frankly feel he doesn't get the credit he deserves. A great Pakistani and a great human being.

Thanks for doing a interview with him BFK, I know he is a friend of yours too :) A brilliant read !

Yes, he is a very good friend of mine and an exceptional human being. He deserves all the due credit.

Great interview! Fantastic job!

All of us here live cricket - particularly Pakistani cricket - but it would be amazing to see Pakistan also In-Shaa-Allah excel in other sports.

Thanks a bunch, Talha. I am hopeful that Pakistan will excel in other sports as well.

A wonderful experience it was interviewing the best tennis player in Pakistan. Many thanks to Aqeel for the interview. Will interview Aisam-ul-Haq - The Pride of Pakistan as well in near future.

Nice interview to read - interesting to hear how tough it is for tennis players in Pakistan.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1451053/double-setback-for-aqeel-at-itf-event

ISLAMABAD: Aqeel Khan, Pakistan’s veteran and long-serving national champion, lost to Britain’s youngster Alexis Canter in the second round of the Begum Kulsum Saifullah Khan ITF Men’s Pro-circuit Futures (F-2) Tennis Tournament here at the PTF Complex on Wednesday.

Sixth seed Canter, 20, comfortably subdued 38-year-old Aqeel 6-2, 6-4.

Meanwhile, Aqeel could not win in the men’s doubles too as the Russian-German pair of Anton Chekhov and Kia Wehnelt outclassed the Pakistani and his Chinese Taipei partner Ray Ho 6-4, 6-2.

It is relevant to mention here that Aqeel in the recently-concluded ITF Futures (I), had failed to advance beyond the main round in the main round where was beaten by third seed Ti Chen of Chinese Taipei.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

Meanwhile, another Pakistani Yousuf Khalil was defeated by Italy’s Lorenzo Bocchi 6-1, 6-2.

Like ITF Futures (2), a national ranking Begum Kulsum Saifullah tournament is also being staged at the PTF Complex for U-18 and ladies singles categories.

Results (prefix number denotes seeding):

Men’s singles:

Second round: 1-Cheong-Eui KIM (KOR) bt Ray HO (TPE) 6-2, 6-3; 6-Alexis CANTER (GBR) bt Aqeel Khan (PAK) 6-2, 6-4; 3-Sora Fukuda (JPN) bt Anton Chekhov (RUS) 6-1, 6-0; Darko Jandric (SRB) bt 8-Niklas Johansson (SWE) 6-1, 7-6(5); 5-Lorenzo Bocchi (ITA) bt Yousuf Khalil (PAK) 6-1, 6-2; 4-Kai Wehnelt (GER) bt Worovin Kumthonkittikul (THA) 6-3, 6-2; 7-Hamidreza Nadaf (IRN) bt Dmitry Myagkov (RUS) 6-2, 6-2; 2-Rio Noguchi (JPN) bt Saida’lo Saidkarimov (UZB) 6-2, 6-3

Men’s doubles:

First round: Ahmed Choudhry (PAK)/Niklas Johansson (SWE) bt Shahzad Khan (PAK)/Syed Zohair Raza (PAK) 6-0, 6-2; Joe Cooper (GBR)/Matt SEEBERGER (US) bt Chandril Sood (IND)/Lakshit SOOD (IND) 4-6, 7-6(4) [13-11]; Mohammad Abid Ali Khan Akbar (PAK)/Shamael Chaudhry (GBR) bt 2-Alexander Pavlioutchenkov (RUS)/Vladimir Polyakov (RUS) 6-4, 6-1; 3-Darko Jandric (SRB)/Cheong-Eui Kim (KOR) bt Heera Ashiq (PAK)/Malik Abdul Rehman (PAK) 6-2, 6-3; 4-Sora Fukuda (JPN)/Rio Noguchi (JPN) bt Mudassir Murtaza (PAK)/Muzammil Murtaza (PAK) 6-0, 7-5; Mohammad Abid (PAK)/Waqas Malik (CAN) bt Lorenzo Bocchi (ITA)/Alexis Canter (GBR) 7-6(5), 3-6 [10-7]; 1-Anton Chekhov (RUS)/Kai Wehnelt (GER) bt Aqeel Khan (PAK)/Ray Ho (TPE) 6-4, 6-2

U-18 boys singles:

Second round: Mohammad Shoaib bt Kashan Umar 6-0, 6-0; Osama Khan bt Azan Sajid 6-0, 6-0; Hasam Khan bt Ahmed Kamil — walkover; Musa Chaudhry bt Azan Shahid 7-5, 6-3; Ahmed Asjad bt Kamran Khan 6-1, 6-1; Sami Zeb bt Abdul Hanan 6-3, 6-3; Subhan bin Salik bt Nauman Aftab 6-4, 6-3; Rayan Jawad bt Mohammad Hamza Asim — walkover

U-14 boys singles:

Second round: Talha Khan bt Hamza Jawad 6-2, 6-1; Huzaima Abdul Rehman bt Ahmed Nael 6-1, 6-0; Uzair Khan bt Azan Sajid 4-6, 6-4, 6-0; Huzaifa Khan bt Abdul Basit 6-0,6-0; Sami Zeb bt Hamza Asim 6-2, 6-1; Hamza Roman bt Ali Zain 6-3, 6-2

Ladies singles:

First round: Sara Mansoor bt Adela Miron 6-0, 6-0; Ushna Suhail bt Shahida Farooq 6-0, 6-0; Khunsha Baber bt Esha Jawad 7-6, 6-1; Hania Naved bt Mahnoor Suhail 6-0, 6-0; Sarah Mahboob bt Mahvish Chishite 6-0, 6-1; Meheq Khokhar bt Zainab Ali Raja 6-0, 6-1; Sheeza Sajid bt Fatima Ali Raja 6-0, 6-1; Shimza Naz bt Mahrukh — walkover.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1451053/double-setback-for-aqeel-at-itf-event

Pakistan marched into the final of the Asia-Oceania 14 and Under Tennis Championship after beating Hong Kong in the semi-finals in Malaysia.

After defeating Australia in the quarter-finals, Pakistan beat Hong Kong to make it to the final.

Pakistan will now play the winner of the semi-final between Japan and Malaysia.

The youngsters have created history by reaching the World Group of the WJT team event, for the first time since 1996. It is a great achievement for the team, made up of Hamza Roman, Abubakar Talha, and Amir Muhammad Khan Mazari, ably led by captain Heera Ashiq.

Powerhouses like India, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and others, failed to make it to the quarter-finals stage.

A total of sixteen countries including Australia, Japan, South Korea, India, Iran, Thailand, Kazakhstan, Hong Kong, Uzbekistan, Chinese Taipei, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Singapore, Indonesia and Pakistan participated in the event.

Pakistan team finished second in their group after beating Iran and Indonesia, while losing to Japan. Pakistan defeated Australia and Hong Kong in the quarter-finals and semi-finals, respectively to seal their final berth.

“Pakistan Tennis Federation (PTF) President Salim Saifullah Khan and the PTF’s management send their heartiest congratulations to the captain, players, parents, and coaches and wished them success in the future, as well as at the World Group event in the Czech Republic tentatively scheduled for September this year. That will also comprise 16 of the world’s best 14-U teams, providing a tremendous opportunity for our players to play against the finest from all ITF global zones,” a PTF official said.

Results
Boys Singles:

Abubakar Talha beat Wong Selwyn Tsz Yuen 6-3, 6-2

Tam Sin Hang beat Hamza Roman 6-1, 6-1

Boys Doubles:

Abubakar Talha / Hamza Roman beat Fu Wang Choi / Tam Sin Hang 7-6(5), 6-4

GEO

Japan edged out Pakistan in a super tie-break following a thrilling final to win the ITF World Tennis Junior Team Competition Asia/Oceania Qualifying Round in Kuching (Malaysia) on Saturday.

Japan ultimately won 2-1, winning the third set of the crucial doubles on a super-tie break.

In the deciding doubles, which produced exciting tennis, Abubakar and Hamza won the first set 6-4 and were a break up in the second set at 4-3. Two see-saw games saw the Japanese produce quality tennis to take the final into a super tie break. The Japanese pair stepped up a notch in the deciding match-tiebreak and won 10-5 to seal the win and lift the trophy.

In the first singles, Abubakar Talha lost a closely fought match 3-6, 5-7. Hamza Roman then played his best tennis in the entire week to win 6-2, 6-1 and levelled the tie 1-1.

Earlier, after defeating Australia in the quarter-finals, Pakistan beat Hong Kong to make it to the final.

It is pertinent to mention that Pakistan had already qualified for the World Group by virtue of qualifying for the semi-finals. The youngsters have created history by reaching the World Group of the WJT team event, for the first time since 1996.

Senator Salim Saifullah Khan President-PTF was elated with the performance of the team and said to reach the final is not an easy task, but our team did it due to their hard work and fighting spirit. The President PTF once again congratulated the players and especially commended Captain Heera Ashiq for doing a wonderful job in his first assignment as Pakistan team captain.

Results:
Boys singles: Kanta Watanabe bt Abubakar Talha 6-3, 7-5; Hamza Roman bt Motoharu Abe 6-1, 6-2

Boys doubles: Motoharu Abe/Kensuke Kobayashi bt Abubakar Talha/Hamza Roman 4-6, 6-4, 10-5.

GEOSuper

Back