"I don't think I need to motivate these players for the upcoming game": Gary Kirsten

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Gary Kirstein in a pre game presser said following regarding the high voltage Pakistan India Clash

"I don't think I need to motivate these players for the upcoming game (they know it). we need individuals to have good performances but playing games like this, its a real team effort. its a big game, we are going to treat it as any other game but certainly we will give our best. the team is motivated

Fast bowling is our strength. it is important you cover all the basis. So, we gonna make sure we have spin options, good seam options and a deep batting lineup and i think most of the teams are trying to do so.

Well not to hide from the factor that it is a big game but to treat cricket like cricket should be treated. Every game you need to play well, your bowlers need to hit in the right areas, you need to score enough runs, and you need to take catches and field well. This is what we will try tomorrow. if we play good game of cricket we will have a chance of winning the game

on his approach ahead of the india's clash

The pitch is favorable for bowlers. the batters will have to play with courage, assess the conditions, assess what good score could be on this wicket if we bat first and then try to make a plan as the game unfolds to achieve a competitive target."

Gary Kirsten (Pakistan Coach) pre-match Press Conference - 8th June 2024

[Reporter:]

Pakistan's start has not been all that good. You have lost to new comers. Do you think we can regroup ourselves for tomorrow's match?

[Gary Kirsten:]

I hope so. Certainly, I hope so. We will give it our best shot.

Can you please confirm the availability of [inaudible] for tomorrow's match?

Yeah, he is fit to play tomorrow.

Yes, we know that Pakistan has not done well. The start was not well. But Pakistan has this strange kind of ability that they don't start well, but then they excel. We have seen this in the recent past. Do you expect this from the team right now, right now the way the team, do you think that they can bounce back, they have that ability to do that?

Yeah, I don't like to harp on history too much. We need to make sure we play the best cricket we can now. So tomorrow we're going to go out there and make sure we do the best that we can with our skill sets and how we can put pressure on the opposition. I mean that's what we would want to do every game. That's certainly how we would plan for every game. So, it's really up to us to get ourselves up for the game. It's a big game, India-Pakistan, we know there's no need for me to motivate the team anymore. They're well motivated, they're focused on this game. We've had to forget about the last couple of days and just move forward. That's the only way you can deal with life. Results are results, they take care of themselves. But the way we arrive at a match and pitch up and give it our best shot and make sure that our skills are up to where they need to be, that's all we can control.

Obviously, it's not ideal taking up [inaudible] so quickly before such a big event. In such a short time, how much have you understood what resources you have and how much of an input we can expect from you so soon?

Well, I've been with the team for 13 days, so it's early days for me, but it's been a real privilege to work with a Pakistan team. I've thoroughly enjoyed the players, they're lovely guys, they're giving their best for their country, and in the end, everyone's got a different way of playing the game. My job really is to understand that way and how it integrates into what we're trying to do as a team. So T20 cricket is a brutal game. As we know, the game changes very quickly, but you can be beneficial of that. You can either go through bad momentum very quickly or good momentum quickly. As we saw in the last game, we were pretty much out of the game for a long period of time and then we nearly won it in the end. So T20 cricket moves very quickly and we just need to be up to the task with our skills, our decision making, like any team would need to be.

Indian team, they are playing here. It will be their third match. They played one practice match and one World Cup match and tomorrow would be their third match here, but Pakistan, it would be their first. So, do you think it will give some sort of advantage to India? And how vital can be the toss tomorrow?

I'm not sure because I can't predict what's going to happen. I don't know whether it will be an advantage. Do you know? Will it be an advantage? Does that mean that because you've played more cricket here it's an advantage? Well, I don't know the answer. I don't know if it is an advantage.

I want to ask how is the – after the historical defeat the Pakistan team morale and any changes tomorrow?

We haven't finalised the team yet because we're waiting on a few players fitness wise. Yeah, that's all that needs to happen. We're going to go out and give it our best shot tomorrow.

[Reporter:[

You've coached India before. You've seen the India-Pakistan frenzy from that side before. How is it looking from this side?

The same. No, it's great. It's great to be part of, I certainly see it as a massive privilege to be part of these games. I've had, I think, two of them. So, it's great to be involved in this. Cricket doesn't get bigger than this. So, it's fun to be a part of. I think it's going to be a great occasion tomorrow. First kind of India-Pakistan game in America. It's been great being here in America on tour. I think it's one of the privileges of being involved in cricket for all of us, is that we get to travel the world in the name of cricket and see different places. So that'll be fun and a great occasion.

Do you bring any advantage, any inside info from...

That's a good question and the way I'd answer that is I think these players have seen enough of each other and how they play. In the end we want to make sure that we get our game right. Look at the conditions and what is required on the conditions because I think that's going to be a big play for tomorrow.

Gary, just on the theme of India vs Pakistan, the World Cup semi-final obviously that was a huge event all those years back and here it's like a league game all right but is the vibe any different from when it was 13 years back when you were in Chandigarh?

I'm not sure - yeah, I think it is. I think it is a little bit different because it's not in India or Pakistan. I went for a ride early this morning, which I like doing most mornings, and I certainly rode around the stadium a little bit and I kind of felt that there's going to be a good vibe there tomorrow. So that's going to be exciting for us all to have that many people that have come out to support the two teams.

During the last 48 hours, that defeat must have demotivated a lot of players. So, what was your message to the players to motivate them, to help them regroup ahead of this big match? How in the last 48 hours, what were your guidelines to these players?

It's never nice not winning games of cricket for any player. They're trying their best. It's never nice. I don't think I needed to motivate this team for this game. I think the important thing for us is that we operate genuinely as a team. Yes, we need individuals to make good performances, but playing games like this, I think is a real team effort. It's a big game, so we're going to treat it as any other game. But certainly, give it our best shot. The team's motivated. I mean, if that's what you're questioning, two days ago is forgotten. We can't take it back. It's gone. So, we move on.

Four top of the line fast bowlers, is that going to be your main weapon against Indian batting?

It certainly is a strength of ours. So, we like to look at that in the balance of our team. But I think it's important that you cover all the bases. So, we want to make sure we've got spin options good seam options and a deep batting lineup and I think most teams are trying to do that so however that stacks up we that's how that's what we aim for.

You've seen the expectations are very high when you were with India and in Pakistan also you have the same kind of -so what is your approach - especially with a pressure match?

Well not to hide from the fact that it's a big game, but to treat cricket like cricket should be treated. Every game you need to play well, you need to hit the ball in the right areas, you need to score enough runs, you need to take your catches and field well. I don't think it's ever changed the game. It changes a little bit because of the formats, but that's certainly what we're going to go out and try to do tomorrow. If we play a really good game of cricket with our abilities, we have a good chance of winning the game.

In every India-Pakistan match, it's always Pakistan bowlers versus Indian batters. But do you still believe Pakistan bowling lineup is better than Indian bowling lineup? I mean, India having Bumrah, Kuldeep, and Bindra?

That's a difficult question to answer. I think they're two great batting lineups.

Wicket looks dangerous for the batters. Even South Africa lost early four wickets in just three overs. So, our ex-cricketers and media says, is the wicket favourable for Pakistani bowlers? What is your opinion about the New York wicket?

I think it's just favourable for bowlers, full stop. Doesn't matter which team. For us, the batters are going to have to play with some courage in any team. Play with real courage, assess the conditions, assess what a good score could be on this wicket if we bat first, and then try to plan as the game unfolds to make sure we do what we can to get a competitive total. Bat first and bat second will be dictated by how we bowl.​

Last edited by a moderator:
A big test tomorrow for Mr Kirsten, Hopefully he starts with a banging win against his former side.

The motivation seems to be always there with Pakistan cricket team but it is the execution which needs to be done effectively.

What is this , Gary Kirsten in his own language also advocating for Qudrat Ka Nizam travesty.

Hopefully Gary will be proven right

kirsten has to accept qudrat ka nizam , accept fatty players, accet no exercises ,, accept pizza burgers biryani daily for players .. dont disturb players sleep till morning 1pm ... if he has to coach this team

Gary Kirstein has said that Imad Wasim will play tomorrow, the only positive thing for team green fans tomorrow. Hopefully he and that mental trainer had some impact on our players' game tomorrow

Gary Kirstein has said that Imad Wasim will play tomorrow, the only positive thing for team green fans tomorrow. Hopefully he and that mental trainer had some impact on our players' game tomorrow
Who be dropped for him? Only one seems to be Shahdab but he is good for a year now after his last game.

Most of the questions are baits. Too much focus on India and Pakistan encounter. No question about how to avoid any more slip up against other teams in this group. No question about spin options.

This is what Gary Kirsten had to say about MSD

I would go to war with Dhoni by my side: Gary Kirsten​

Kirsten felt Dhoni is very unemotional and in that way very unIndian.

Wonder what he will have to say about Babar at the end of his tenure.

This is what Gary Kirsten had to say about MSD

I would go to war with Dhoni by my side: Gary Kirsten​

Kirsten felt Dhoni is very unemotional and in that way very unIndian.

Wonder what he will have to say about Babar at the end of his tenure.
Probs shot fired at babar indirectly

I am thinking about 2 changes at least.... AZAM and IFTIKHAR for Saim and Imad. Simple
Yeah forgot about Azam, so much for knowledge about the conditions, I still feel Ifti is probably more consistent than any other player but that's me, also he is not a slip fielder. Let's see if the walking wicket Azam is benched tomorrow.

Our head coach is in delusion himself, as is evident from his answers. There's no chance ,another humiliation awaits us against India.

New York pitch is not for tullaybaaz like Usman khan , bring Saim back, just like they did with Fakhar in the 50 over WC. sometimes lean scoring and bad patch need a timeout of the playing field to re-arrange things.

For me three changes

Azam out Imad in
Usman out Saim in
Haris out Abbas in

Our head coach is in delusion himself, as is evident from his answers. There's no chance ,another humiliation awaits us against India.
What I feel like is that he leaves this WT20 out as they are totally screwed up with their skills, attitude, energy, fitness etc.

He will do a revamp after the WT20 probably.

Hello PP'ers ...back on the PP horse after long gap as i care fig for never ending IPL elephant soap opera, give me international cric any time

As an Indian, just fed up of the one upmanship, downing of the oppo, and the some of the crass display by our media, fans etc.

Yeah, Pak lost to US...but they committed about 250 errors in that game that you can bet they wont repeat, I expect Gary k and the other staff to crack the whip.

I expect pak to come out desperate, hungry and like a shark searching on a bait to chew.

I hope our guys are not punch drunk on the success against Ireland and the 'oh its gonna be so easy ' bandwagon vibe that is being drummed and unfortunately so.

The wicket is gonna be difficult and i'd take yash as opener with Hitman, the LH rh combo fits well with VK coming in at 3 and being the anchor. With surya, rishabh, hardik, rav jads and shivam you have a good mix of hitting and runing ability and also lh rh that we so dearly lacked prev.

all in all i hope our guys dont be overconfident and go with bloated heads, but calm confident and wait for pak to make the mistakes.

match will be a cracker !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello PP'ers ...back on the PP horse after long gap as i care fig for never ending IPL elephant soap opera, give me international cric any time

As an Indian, just fed up of the one upmanship, downing of the oppo, and the some of the crass display by our media, fans etc.

Yeah, Pak lost to US...but they committed about 250 errors in that game that you can bet they wont repeat, I expect Gary k and the other staff to crack the whip.

I expect pak to come out desperate, hungry and like a shark searching on a bait to chew.

I hope our guys are not punch drunk on the success against Ireland and the 'oh its gonna be so easy ' bandwagon vibe that is being drummed and unfortunately so.

The wicket is gonna be difficult and i'd take yash as opener with Hitman, the LH rh combo fits well with VK coming in at 3 and being the anchor. With surya, rishabh, hardik, rav jads and shivam you have a good mix of hitting and runing ability and also lh rh that we so dearly lacked prev.

all in all i hope our guys dont be overconfident and go with bloated heads, but calm confident and wait for pak to make the mistakes.

match will be a cracker !
Welcome back bro

Gary Kirsten in the post game presser:

"The pitch was not dangerous at all, the odd one rose up sure, but not many. Generally, the pitch kept lower. It was difficult to score for both batting sides. The outfield was quite slow as well, so it was never going to be a big total. I would've said 140 would've been a very good total here. So India did not get that, and we had the game. We knew it was going to be a tight one. Sometimes it is fun seeing games like that. It's not always about huge scores."

"As I said I have only been here for a handful of days. I am having a look at their environment and what the issues are. I have watched these guys play for many many years on TV. They are fantastic guys, now I have been getting to know them. They are pumped to play for their country. Certainly, there are many guys disappointed in the changing rooms right now."

"For me, the most important thing for an International player is to continue growing and developing as a player and understanding what are the demands of international cricket. The game is changing every year. So if you are not improving, you are going to be found out."

Cheque cashed in. He'll be going back to his Franchise duties again.

I do wonder though. How much money Mr. Naqvi agreed to pay Kirsten for him to take up a team like Pakistan and potential put his credibility on line. Must be a lot.

Cheque cashed in. He'll be going back to his Franchise duties again.

I do wonder though. How much money Mr. Naqvi agreed to pay Kirsten for him to take up a team like Pakistan and potential put his credibility on line. Must be a lot.
Not his fault. THis squad was chosen by Naqvi and Wahab riaz.

Doesn’t come across as someone who is interested in Pak cricket. But let’s see if he actually goes to the domestic circuit and unearth new gems from the rough

Michael Vaughan, while speaking on a program on a sports media outlet ahead of the Group A encounter between Pakistan and Ireland in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024:

"Gary Kirsten is a fantastic coach, and it would be disappointing that he hasn't managed to get the right mentality into this group. Look at this team. They have some skill levels, but they aren't quite at the level of the Pakistani teams of old. But I think Gary, and you'll know more than me, works more on the cultural side of the dressing room and focuses on making sure that individual players are happy and in the right zone. So he'll be disappointed that he hasn't managed to get Pakistan playing to a decent standard."

Michael Vaughan, while speaking on a program on a sports media outlet ahead of the Group A encounter between Pakistan and Ireland in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024:

"Gary Kirsten is a fantastic coach, and it would be disappointing that he hasn't managed to get the right mentality into this group. Look at this team. They have some skill levels, but they aren't quite at the level of the Pakistani teams of old. But I think Gary, and you'll know more than me, works more on the cultural side of the dressing room and focuses on making sure that individual players are happy and in the right zone. So he'll be disappointed that he hasn't managed to get Pakistan playing to a decent standard."
LOL
He has been there for what, 2 weeks?

This mess will take years to be cleaned. The friends 11 has made Pak cricket a club level team, acting like tourists who see cricket as time pass.

In an interview with a sports channel, Andy Flower expressed concern over Gary Kirsten’s challenging start as head coach of the Pakistan cricket team:

“What a tough start for Gary Kirsten as a coach coming in fresh, he obviously could not mould the side. He did not have time to mould the side into a unit he would fully understand,”

“Pakistan looked as if they were panicking. Not only when they were under severe pressure but even just in normal competitive cricketing situations they looked like they were panicking a little in the field and with the ball and bat. So, they have got a lot of work to do. Gary Kirsten’s got a lot of work to do to get them back on track,”

Back