"I feel that we should be looking to dominate the middle overs": Imad Wasim

hassan918

Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Imad Wasim in his post-match press conference today after the second T20I vs England:

“We bowled really well to restrict them. At one stage, it was looking like they would score over 200, but the bowlers did a great job. In the batting, we didn’t capitalize, so there were no partnerships. That’s the main reason”

“I think we should have attacked early on as well, but having said that, we bowled really, really well from up top. And when me and Iftikhar were batting, we thought we were in the game. And then suddenly, if you lose wickets at crucial times, then it might cost you the game, which happened.”

When asked about the collapse in middle overs while chasing:

“It is frustrating, but we will sit and talk about it because the stats are with us now, and we want to play a different kind of cricket. And definitely, next game we will look up to these stats and we will try to attack even more. But some of the bowling was good, and the shot selection was a bit, what you can say, not at that position we should take it deep. And if there was any batsman who scored 50, 60, or 70, it would have been the game.”

When asked about any specific plan for Jofra Archer:

“There was no specific plan for Jofra. It was for all of them. And next game, we will try to attack even more.”

When asked if the team is ready for the World Cup and if any changes are needed:

“The 15-member squad has already been announced, and I think the team is ready. It’s just how we approach the game. We had a very long discussion in Ireland about how we approach the game. Now, after this defeat, obviously, we will sit and talk about it, how we approach the game in all departments, being smart in bowling, and taking the aggressive option in batting. So, this is what we will emphasize the way of cricket we want to play, we should go and implement it against better opposition.”

When asked about Jos Buttler:

“He is one of the best white-ball players in world cricket, no doubt about it. When he gets in, some of the shots he plays, it’s just good to watch as well because he has been such a magnificent player for over a decade. So, it’s a good challenge to bowl against him as well. You always learn when you bowl to the best players in the world. And Jos Butler is surely one of the best players.”

"Sometimes you need to utilize your bowlers irrespective of the plans you had in your mind for them. We experimented a lot in the Ireland series but I think, as soon as we get closer to the World Cup, roles of each individual will be clarified and that will make things much easier for us to collectively perform as a team. If conditions are suitable then I can bowl in the powerplay as well and if the captain has belief in my abilities then I can bowl after the first six overs as well. For me, bowling earlier or later doesn't really matter. I have always tried to benefit the team whenever the skipper throws the ball at me."

"Shaheen Afridi & Mohammad Amir have a brilliant record with the new ball. My record is decent as well but I don't have any issues of bowling or not bowling in the powerplay. Only two bowlers can start the opening overs so....and the captain and coach have also talked to me regarding this and I am happy to contribute wherever I am needed."

"Personally I think we talk a lot about showing intent. I feel we have seen glimpses of it and we're accepting that it isn't the way it needs to be but the way Fakhar played today, I think it shows that if you put the opposition under pressure straightaway then things can turn in your favor."

"Usually when there are 10 runs required per over then my brains responds accordingly. I think we were in the game till the last few overs. I have to admit that Iftikhar & myself, we both got out at the wrong time. If we had stayed there for a few more balls, perhaps we would have chased it."

"I personally feel that we should dominate the middle overs. And by dominating I don't mean that we should go for boundaries every single ball. It means that you play ball to ball and don't let the bowlers settle down. We've been lacking in this particular area for quite some time and in shaa ALLAH you will see in the future that we will work something out."

Last edited by a moderator:
Imad Wasim in his post match press conference today after the second T20I vs England:

"Sometimes you need to utilize your bowlers irrespective of the plans you had in your mind for them. We experimented a lot in the Ireland series but I think, as soon as we get closer to the World Cup, roles of each individual will be clarified and that will make things much easier for us to collectively perform as a team. If conditions are suitable then I can bowl in the powerplay as well and if the captain has belief in my abilities then I can bowl after the first six overs as well. For me, bowling earlier or later doesn't really matter. I have always tried to benefit the team whenever the skipper throws the ball at me."

"Shaheen Afridi & Mohammad Amir have a brilliant record with the new ball. My record is decent as well but I don't have any issues of bowling or not bowling in the powerplay. Only two bowlers can start the opening overs so....and the captain and coach have also talked to me regarding this and I am happy to contribute wherever I am needed."

"Personally I think we talk a lot about showing intent. I feel we have seen glimpses of it and we're accepting that it isn't the way it needs to be but the way Fakhar played today, I think it shows that if you put the opposition under pressure straightaway then things can turn in your favor."

"Usually when there are 10 runs required per over then my brains responds accordingly. I think we were in the game till the last few overs. I have to admit that Iftikhar & myself, we both got out at the wrong time. If we had stayed there for a few more balls, perhaps we would have chased it."

"I personally feel that we should dominate the middle overs. And by dominating I don't mean that we should go for boundaries every single ball. It means that you play ball to ball and don't let the bowlers settle down. We've been lacking in this particular area for quite some time and in shaa ALLAH you will see in the future that we will work something out."
I don't understand, why on earth wouldn't you want this guy as captain? Is it because he talked about Babar and kicked rizwan from his squad?

Just look at his interviews and look at how Babar and rizwan conduct theirs aka mein kush nahi hoon ya we lost because Ireland attacked us

Imad was the pick of the bowlers in the 2nd t20. He bowled extremely well and with control. Good to see him getting a few runs with the bat as well. Good sign for the Pakistan team.

He's the greatest T20 allrounder playing the game today. It's very unfortunate that he was kept out of the team for such a long time due to internal politics. Only if he had faked his age like other Pak players, he would be rightly leading the T20 team at the world cup.
:inti

“There was no specific plan for Jofra. It was for all of them. And next game, we will try to attack even more.”
So they are not coming into the ground with any plan for a specific player? This is what he is trying to say?

I mean, why not have a plan for these kinds of players like Jofra or Jos buttler?

So they are not coming into the ground with any plan for a specific player? This is what he is trying to say?

I mean, why not have a plan for these kinds of players like Jofra or Jos buttler?
Even if they had a plan they wouldn't divulge at a press conference.

It was a sensible answer.

I don't understand, why on earth wouldn't you want this guy as captain? Is it because he talked about Babar and kicked rizwan from his squad?

Just look at his interviews and look at how Babar and rizwan conduct theirs aka mein kush nahi hoon ya we lost because Ireland attacked us
Absolutely agree.

Even from Babar’s own perspective wouldn’t it be better for him to just concentrate on batting. You don’t become a great batsman by being a great captain. At this rate he will end up being known as a poor captain and a good batsman who didn’t fulfil his potential.

100%

He should have been the captain.

For this guy to be captain

he needs to praise rizwan and babar in every other interview and social media post.

He will automatically have a huge following for doing that and maybe a chance to move up the order to bat at number 5 and may also be given the ball to bowl more often.

Then he just needs to make use of the given opportunity and that will increase his chances to become captain

Last edited by a moderator:
My mind gets frustrated hearing these things, like 'we were 20 runs short' or 'we should have capitalized in the middle overs'. I always end up hearing the same things.

ICC T20 World Cup 2024 Ambassador Shahid Afridi, in conversation with the ICC:

"The thing that bothers me is the strike rate of our batters, especially in between the seven to thirteen over phase."

"I hope that the strike rate improves in that phase. In terms of runs per over, eight or nine runs per over are needed but still Pakistan are my favourite."

"I feel Pakistan should make the final. The reason is that the conditions (in West Indies and USA) suit our team."

"I think in any cricket team in the world, nobody has such a strong bowling line-up. All our four fast bowlers have a lot of skill and even the bowlers sitting on the bench like Abbas (Afridi)...has a lot of skill with a good slower ball. It's an incredible attack."

"If the players with such good skills enter this World Cup against world-class batters they will perform well. All the names will also have a huge responsibility over them."

"If we look at the spinners in our team, they are outstanding. They might not be in form but I know they will return in form. In batting, we have great strength."

"All players in the team are important. But if you look at the performances in the recent past, Babar, (Mohammad) Rizwan, Fakhar (Zaman), Shaheen, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf, Shadab (Khan) -- all of them play an important role and will be key at the World Cup."

"But if I had to pick one, I would pick the captain Babar Azam, because he is the leader. I want him to perform well, make timely decisions which will take the team to victory."

Seems to be 2 camps within the Pakistan squad. One that wants to play a modern and aggressive brand of cricket and the other that wants to play it safe.

My mind gets frustrated hearing these things, like 'we were 20 runs short' or 'we should have capitalized in the middle overs'. I always end up hearing the same things.
Because they do not care, they not believe that they can actually beat big teams. They are happy/content with 50s or a couple of wickets. That is the culture within the team. Hyping personal rankings based on Jamodis / minnow bashing.

When our batters can't dominate in the powerplay, how can you expect them to dominate the middle overs?

Back